Unpopular Opinions Thread

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
Alder

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Post by Alder » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:53 pm

I dislike the incorporation of trans characters into HS and how a large segment of the community insists on making established characters out to be trans all along. Roxy, Vriska(?), and June (apparently?) never really had any evidence in HS proper to support their characters being read in such a way, which makes it a head scratcher when people swear up and down that there's substantial proof for those kinds of interpretations.

I like Vriska's PQ art. Makes her look rough and fits her character.
Last edited by Alder on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:54 pm

I don't know if this is an unpopular one to a popular one.

Its kind of a good thing that Hussie isn't writing homestuck right now, not directly. Hussie had to deal with writing a lot of characters by himself. With the new team they can all take turns on it, writing the characters they are good at writing. Hussie himself has admitted that some characters, like Feferi, were never going to be a majorly featured, but I do think that his motivation with Murderstuck could still be stated as 'culling the cast to a more manageable size' with the trolls. Even if it was preplanned on his part, it is him trying to not be overwhelmed.
And then there is of course Jane and Jake and poor Jade. We know how dirty Hussie did those three. Arguably more so than Feferi, and she actually died. At least in the epilogues their character arcs have the ability to get going again. Even if it did take Dirk exaggerating their traits to a negative degree.

Even Feferi has hope to be relevant more than she ever was before. Cause let's face it, Terezi is probably gonna be spending time trying to revive John, and something is gonna go wrong. So why not revive a couple of her friends that Paradox Space victimized into dying for bullshit reasons while she is at it?

pfeffer-29
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Heir of Mind
Moon: Derse

Post by pfeffer-29 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:04 pm

In my opinion, Dave's Pesterquest volume wasn't all that bad. The meta jokes were jarring and the pacing was off (a problem with many of these volumes; see Terezi's route for mach 10 conflict resolution). But I think the Dave in there was the most authentic Dave we've seen since early Act 6. He makes bad jokes and overly verbose metaphors and his interactions with other characters are entertaining--something I have sorely missed--unlike Epilogues Dave, who becomes the most stereotypical tsundere top to ever crawl with his oversized hands out of the pages of a yaoi. Epilogues Dave also was implied to be incapable of loving anyone but Karkat, which I found to be utterly stupid. Isn't the point of the Epilogues that everything is canon? That anything can happen? But Dave's Pesterquest volume acknowledges that Dave is bisexual. Which is nice.

That was, as far as I know, James Roach's first foray into writing, and I think he did pretty good. I am more willing to accept its faults (though there are many) than I would normally because he's demonstrated self-awareness and a desire to improve. He actually addressed criticisms on his Twitter. Therefore, I'll be waiting for Aradia's route with decently high expectations.
edit: changed "bottom" to "top" because I misremembered Epilogues Dave as Karkat for some reason. Epilogues Dave is still a crappy tsundere, just a different kind of crappy tsundere; instead of the "IT'S NOT LIKE I LIKE YOU OR ANYTHING" type, he's the "ha ha no homo...unless" type. less obvious, but just as annoying to read, especially since I believe that it's completely out of character for Dave to act in such a way.
(and then he suddenly becomes the affectionate top to Karkat's flustered bottom, which is somehow worse)
Last edited by pfeffer-29 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you can pry karezi out of my cold dead hands

Ian Gitax

Post by Ian Gitax » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:29 pm

Homestuck bad.

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:36 pm

Homestuck good :andrew:

Alder

Post by Alder » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:36 pm

Ian Gitax wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:29 pm
Homestuck bad.
This isn't an opinion. It's a fact. :cool3d:

MorganMustDie
Pronouns: f

Post by MorganMustDie » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:34 pm

There is only one Correct Unpopular Opinion about Homestuck

CLASSPECT ANALYSIS IS FUCKING STUPID. FIXED ASPECTS? MUTABLE ASPECTS? THE ASPECT WHEEL? OPPOSITE ASPECTS? THERE IS LITERALLY NO EVIDENCE FOR ANY OF THIS ANYWHERE IN THE ENTIRE COMIC YET PEOPLE SWEAR UP AND DOWN LIKE THIS SHIT IS GOSPEL

Homestuck has its own Nick Nocturne, you all know who it is, and you've all met his disciples. On Reddit, Twitter, Discord, wherehaveyou. It's annoying. It's stupid. And it's directly contradictory to Hussie's writing style. The Classpects started as a way for Hussie to attach A Title to a character's archetype, and how their personality would affect the methods through which they interacted with the world around them, but Classpect Analysers act like it works in the opposite direction. "Ah no he's a Mage of Rage and because of that it means he does X, Y, and Z," rather than "He does X, Y, and Z, and as such, you could describe him as a Mage of Rage." This school of thought would lead to any two given Bards of Time having the exact same personalities which is a lazy ass way to write characters if you ask me

There's like a sentiment amongst them that Hussie has like, a booklet somewhere with dot points on how each class and aspect works and acts, rather that it just being some vague thing he invented to slap onto characters to give them cool titles that match their personalities. Any "speculation" on how aspects and classes that we never directly see work should be treated as non-canon. And as such, I should be allowed to say "that sounds stupid lol" without being banned from the homestuck egirl discord
Image Perfection.

arachnidsGrip
Pronouns: They/Them
Classpect: Page of Light

Post by arachnidsGrip » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:48 pm

I don't think there are any problems with June, Roxy, and/or Vriska being trans. Additionally, I REALLY wish this wasn't an unpopular opinion.

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:53 pm

arachnidsGrip wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:48 pm
I don't think there are any problems with June, Roxy, and/or Vriska being trans. Additionally, I REALLY wish this wasn't an unpopular opinion.
I don't think it's so much a problem with them being trans as if that were a problem, but so much them being trans makes no sense with what we saw in Homestuck, and is largely headcanon (for John and Vriska) but is argued for as if it did make sense and might as well be canon, which can get on people's nerves.

arachnidsGrip
Pronouns: They/Them
Classpect: Page of Light

Post by arachnidsGrip » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:58 pm

BrobyDDark wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:53 pm
arachnidsGrip wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:48 pm
I don't think it's so much a problem with them being trans as if that were a problem, but so much them being trans makes no sense with what we saw in Homestuck, and is largely headcanon (for John and Vriska) but is argued for as if it did make sense and might as well be canon, which can get on people's nerves.
No, I've seen plenty of people who have a problem with them being trans simply for being trans. Thanks though.

EDIT: I mean, you're not wrong, I guess, I think that is part of why people don't like it, but there are also definitely people who don't like them being trans simply cause they're trans. Some of my friends have spoken out against them on that basis to me, and I gotta say, it's not really epic.
Last edited by arachnidsGrip on Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:59 pm

Different experiences, then.

MorganMustDie
Pronouns: f

Post by MorganMustDie » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:13 am

arachnidsGrip wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:58 pm
No, I've seen plenty of people who have a problem with them being trans simply for being trans. Thanks though.

EDIT: I mean, you're not wrong, I guess, I think that is part of why people don't like it, but there are also definitely people who don't like them being trans simply cause they're trans. Some of my friends have spoken out against them on that basis to me, and I gotta say, it's not really epic.
I think people being anti-trans headcanon BECAUSE they're trans is awful and shouldn't be stood for

However, there is a LOT of lumping people with genuine criticism of the "trans-canonisations" in with the transphobes which I think is pretty lame. There were even people on twitter calling actual trans people transphobic if they had anything against June Egbert. I dunno, telling trans people that their opinions on a trans character don't matter doesn't really sit right with me
Image Perfection.

gutza1
Pronouns: Male
Classpect: Mage of Space
Moon: Prospit

Post by gutza1 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:35 am

MorganMustDie wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:34 pm
There is only one Correct Unpopular Opinion about Homestuck

CLASSPECT ANALYSIS IS FUCKING STUPID. FIXED ASPECTS? MUTABLE ASPECTS? THE ASPECT WHEEL? OPPOSITE ASPECTS? THERE IS LITERALLY NO EVIDENCE FOR ANY OF THIS ANYWHERE IN THE ENTIRE COMIC YET PEOPLE SWEAR UP AND DOWN LIKE THIS SHIT IS GOSPEL

Homestuck has its own Nick Nocturne, you all know who it is, and you've all met his disciples. On Reddit, Twitter, Discord, wherehaveyou. It's annoying. It's stupid. And it's directly contradictory to Hussie's writing style. The Classpects started as a way for Hussie to attach A Title to a character's archetype, and how their personality would affect the methods through which they interacted with the world around them, but Classpect Analysers act like it works in the opposite direction. "Ah no he's a Mage of Rage and because of that it means he does X, Y, and Z," rather than "He does X, Y, and Z, and as such, you could describe him as a Mage of Rage." This school of thought would lead to any two given Bards of Time having the exact same personalities which is a lazy ass way to write characters if you ask me

There's like a sentiment amongst them that Hussie has like, a booklet somewhere with dot points on how each class and aspect works and acts, rather that it just being some vague thing he invented to slap onto characters to give them cool titles that match their personalities. Any "speculation" on how aspects and classes that we never directly see work should be treated as non-canon. And as such, I should be allowed to say "that sounds stupid lol" without being banned from the homestuck egirl discord
Yeah. I think what people forget is that classpect powers fundamentally depend upon how their users interpret them, meaning that even two players with the same classpect will likely have different powers due to them interpreting their classpect differently. Plus, classpect doesn't define your personality, it just points to what "archetype" you gravitate towards.

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time

Post by RoyalFiddle » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:04 am

But are there enough Archetypes to fit all of the various classpects? There are 144 valid class aspect combos, can there really be an Archetype to fit them all?
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

LORD_CALIDOR
Pronouns: HE

Post by LORD_CALIDOR » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:36 am

> I DON'T LIKE JADE
:cal: :cal:

:cal:
:cal:

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:30 am

I like classpects. They give me a justification for being an asshole.

Im a bard bitch. Im not supossed to be a nice person :^)
:rosecool:

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:16 am

Classpect discussion is the glue that holds this fandom together.

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time

Post by RoyalFiddle » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:53 am

BrobyDDark wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:16 am
Classpect discussion is the glue that holds this fandom together.
the fandom doesn't need glue
we're connected because at this point we ain't ever getting out
we're motherfuckin entrenched in this bitch
all of us
welcome to nam
now grab my hand and shimmy your soggy ass off that muddy bank before charlie gets the fuckin drop
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath

Post by egg » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:52 am

MorganMustDie wrote:

In my honest opinion, Classpect has evolved beyond Homestuck the comic by this point. It's basically just a 144 personality MBTI now using terms stolen from some asshole's webcomic. And I say this as an extreme Classpect afficionado.
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:14 pm

egg wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:52 am
MorganMustDie wrote:

In my honest opinion, Classpect has evolved beyond Homestuck the comic by this point. It's basically just a 144 personality MBTI now using terms stolen from some asshole's webcomic. And I say this as an extreme Classpect afficionado.
Upvoted