Jade Harley Appreciation Thread

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
Leddy
Pronouns: Any (They/He/She)
Classpect: Sylph of Life
Moon: Prospit

Jade Harley Appreciation Thread

Post by Leddy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:52 am

I don't know how this thread wasnt made yet.

Jade Harley is best character Homestuck thanks, she's funny, has likeable characteristics, and has the best god tier ascension with some of the coolest powers imo. There is obv more but its 4am and I noticed this didnt exist and needed to fix that

While we're appreciating Jade can I say I really dislike what the Epilouges did to her :{
Attachments
yellingcrab-in-this-house-we-stan-jade-harley-40222622.png
yellingcrab-in-this-house-we-stan-jade-harley-40222622.png (38.3 KiB) Viewed 22015 times
:mutie:

Javepeta connoisseur
Professional Jade Stan
Roxy, Jade, and Kanaya are the best Homestuck characters /thread

arachnidsGrip
Pronouns: They/Them
Classpect: Page of Light
Moon: Derse

Re: Jade Harley Appreciation Thread

Post by arachnidsGrip » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:02 am

Leddy wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:52 am
I don't know how this thread wasnt made yet.

Jade Harley is best character Homestuck thanks, she's funny, has likeable characteristics, and has the best god tier ascension with some of the coolest powers imo.

While we're appreciating Jade can I say I really dislike what the Epilouges did to her :{
Jade Harley is legitimately one of the factors that pushed towards me being a nicer, more outwardly affectionate person. But before that it was mainly through emoticons such as :) or :(. Prior to Jade's existence in my life, I NEVER used those. Ever. Not ever. But ever since I've started using them! It's nice too because I sometimes struggle with conveying tone over text, so having a :) or :( really helps. ::::)

ArchmageIsACat
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Maid of Doom

Post by ArchmageIsACat » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:12 am

Jade is very good. I sympathize on the epilogues thing but personally outside having her agency stripped away in meat and her aggressive ignorance of dave and karkat's boundaries I didn't really have much issue with her portrayal. I liked how it gave some acknowledgement to the idea that she could be nonbinary and also I was able to relate to being uncomfortably horny around other people with low self awareness abt it from when I was younger and similar to that.
I also think that her getting in and out of relationships fairly worry free about it is also kinda a sorta good end to having been alone for 16 years -1 day, although it did get stripped away by dirk which... yeah not great.

wow I didn't mean to go into a paragraph abt the epilogues esp since this ain't the forum for it

Leddy

Post by Leddy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:20 am

ArchmageIsACat wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:12 am
Jade is very good. I sympathize on the epilogues thing but personally outside having her agency stripped away in meat and her aggressive ignorance of dave and karkat's boundaries I didn't really have much issue with her portrayal. I liked how it gave some acknowledgement to the idea that she could be nonbinary and also I was able to relate to being uncomfortably horny around other people with low self awareness abt it from when I was younger and similar to that.
I also think that her getting in and out of relationships fairly worry free about it is also kinda a sorta good end to having been alone for 16 years -1 day, although it did get stripped away by dirk which... yeah not great.

wow I didn't mean to go into a paragraph abt the epilogues esp since this ain't the forum for it
Hey, to each their own. As long as we all appreciate Jade in the end!

This is a Jade thread, you can talk about her in Epilouges if its relevant and I brought it up so its relevant. I was really offput compared to what we got out of the end of Act 6 directly into Epilouges, was like running into a brick wall and she just felt a little uh, too lusty for my take.

Even still, Jade is great at the end of the day!

Javepeta connoisseur
Professional Jade Stan

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:56 am

They did her so badly man, she didnt deserve any of it. Hope she gets a happy ending or something on H^2.
:rosecool:

Sylandrophol
Pronouns: she/they
Classpect: Rogue Of Space

Post by Sylandrophol » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:08 am

jade got done dirty in the comic and in the epilogues and i will not stand for that
all i do is be thembo, love girls, listen to radio head, drink soda, eat hot chip and lie
--
check out my music!

CRAFTBOUND

asocksual
Classpect: seer of space I think

Post by asocksual » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:30 am

Jade Harley is my favorite human in homestuck, unquestionably! I can relate a lot to her loneliness and struggle to connect with her friends, and sometimes I think about the three years she spent alone on that ship and I just wanna reach through the screen and give her a massive hug.
:kitty: hi.

VASKA
Pronouns: She/her, They/them

Post by VASKA » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:47 am

Hot take: I actually like epilogue Jade! They still did her dirty with the whole dead/possessed/entirely unaware she's in an unhappy marriage thing, but I think epilogue Jade is fun and gives the character a chance to ramble in ways she didn't in the main comic. It seems to me like the normal, slice-of-life setting of the epilogues would've been the perfect arena to explore Jade without her overpowered combat abilities getting the way, but apparently that just wasn't in the cards.
Only cuties survive the near future

Leddy

Post by Leddy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:57 am

VASKA wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:47 am
Hot take: I actually like epilogue Jade! They still did her dirty with the whole dead/possessed/entirely unaware she's in an unhappy marriage thing, but I think epilogue Jade is fun and gives the character a chance to ramble in ways she didn't in the main comic. It seems to me like the normal, slice-of-life setting of the epilogues would've been the perfect arena to explore Jade without her overpowered combat abilities getting the way, but apparently that just wasn't in the cards.
Im actually fine with this bit for the most part, its the implication that shes actually fucked with a shitload of people. Her being unable to keep a relationship easily seems like something in her character, but not to this far of an extreme. I feel like that's something I think really doesnt fit her character, or I just really dislike it who knows. It's valid asf to like it, because it's Jade, but I think it's not what I'd see her character doing, and unlike Archmage I can't relate to it.

I feel like its too heavy on that aspect for my taste, also asock I agree totally Jade just deserves a big hug and some rest
Last edited by Leddy on Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Javepeta connoisseur
Professional Jade Stan

VASKA
Pronouns: She/her, They/them

Post by VASKA » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:03 pm

Leddy wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:57 am
VASKA wrote:
Im actually fine with this bit for the most part, its the implication that shes actually fucked with a shitload of people. Her being unable to keep a relationship easily seems like something in her character, but not to this far of an extreme. I feel like that's something I think really doesnt fit her character, or I just really dislike it who knows

I feel like its too heavy on that aspect for my taste, also asock I agree totally Jade just deserves a big hug and some rest
I actually liked that part of her characterization! For me it was reiterating a theme that we've seen from space players: they're always lonely, and they're always horny. There was always a connection between space and sex that was never really addressed too directly for most of the comic because, well, literal children, but damn did it get shoved in our faces with Porrim. I thought Jade handled it in a lot more amusing, fun way than Porrim did, so I saw that as a major improvement over how space had previously portrayed, and while I was originally pretty unhappy with the "dog dick implication", because it contradicted my trans Jade headcanon, I came to love it over time because, I mean, holy shit, that's actually pretty damn funny.

tl;dr, Jade is thirsty af and I think that's great
Only cuties survive the near future

Leddy

Post by Leddy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:07 pm

VASKA wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:03 pm
Leddy wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:57 am
VASKA wrote:
Im actually fine with this bit for the most part, its the implication that shes actually fucked with a shitload of people. Her being unable to keep a relationship easily seems like something in her character, but not to this far of an extreme. I feel like that's something I think really doesnt fit her character, or I just really dislike it who knows

I actually liked that part of her characterization! For me it was reiterating a theme that we've seen from space players: they're always lonely, and they're always horny. There was always a connection between space and sex that was never really addressed too directly for most of the comic because, well, literal children, but damn did it get shoved in our faces with Porrim. I thought Jade handled it in a lot more amusing, fun way than Porrim did, so I saw that as a major improvement over how space had previously portrayed, and while I was originally pretty unhappy with the "dog dick implication", because it contradicted my trans Jade headcanon, I came to love it over time because, I mean, holy shit, that's actually pretty damn funny.

tl;dr, Jade is thirsty af and I think that's great
It's totally fne to like it! It's great that you can find that but I never really saw that connection and it felt like such a shitty thing to portray her character as, a lot of characters in Epilouges ddn't have a lot of depth anymore, Jade's was essentially she's thirsty as fuck for everyone and instead of adding more onto her character for me since that's like the only characterization she had, it felt like that's what they made her character all about. It felt like it was ALL about that, I'm already uncomfortable with that thought of a girl not too far removed from being underage in our eyes (Especially as an archival reader jumping to Epilouges immediately after Act 7 it felt like she was too close to still being underage and hadn't changed more than, she's thirsty now, which was incredibly uncomfortable.

It's really not my slice of pie, and I'll stick to that, but at the same time I won't chastise anyone who dislikes it just felt like saying that I feel she kind of got a raw deal in the epilouges.

Javepeta connoisseur
Professional Jade Stan

Leddy

Post by Leddy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:12 pm

Okay time for a Jade Harley image dump because I feel we need these.
Images since I feel we need those
Show

Code: Select all

https://chuchumi.tumblr.com/post/185113537074/i-love-jade-and-i-love-putting-her-in-ridiculous

https://gummybear2379.tumblr.com/post/188028507516/cant-wait-to-see-jade

https://crystalrina.tumblr.com/post/184804605600/%EF%BE%9F-may-i-belong-among-the-stars-%EF%BE%9F

https://mimipippin.tumblr.com/post/184853067579/this-is-a-jade-harley-appreciation-zone

Javepeta connoisseur
Professional Jade Stan

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:27 pm

Jade being either a) mind controlled or b) asleep for almost the entirety of Act 6 pisses me off to no end
:jadesob:

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:59 pm

Jade Harley is a wonderful little baby who was always so excited to fulfill her destiny. She was practically raised by the Prospitians so she had a huge sense of dread and inevitability, but also joy and love and kindness imbued into her from that upbringing. She has many friends on that moon and she believes in their destiny so strongly that breaking away from it in any way causes her distress (as seen in her Pesterquest route). She knows what she must do and she insists upon following the path set for her as best she can all the way through to Cascade. After that happens, there's no more direction for her, so she flounders a bit... but instead of actually going into that and trying to understand her issues better, she either becomes a mind controlled puppet of the Condesce (GO timeline) or she just fucking gets shunted away into the background to be lonely five-ever because Space Means Loneliness or some bullshit like that.

I like Jade, and I have thoughts and feelings around her that I want to share at some point. Not now though, I have other things I need to attend to regarding my classwork lol.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:04 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:59 pm
Jade Harley is a wonderful little baby who was always so excited to fulfill her destiny. She was practically raised by the Prospitians so she had a huge sense of dread and inevitability, but also joy and love and kindness imbued into her from that upbringing. She has many friends on that moon and she believes in their destiny so strongly that breaking away from it in any way causes her distress (as seen in her Pesterquest route). She knows what she must do and she insists upon following the path set for her as best she can all the way through to Cascade. After that happens, there's no more direction for her, so she flounders a bit... but instead of actually going into that and trying to understand her issues better, she either becomes a mind controlled puppet of the Condesce (GO timeline) or she just fucking gets shunted away into the background to be lonely five-ever because Space Means Loneliness or some bullshit like that.

I like Jade, and I have thoughts and feelings around her that I want to share at some point. Not now though, I have other things I need to attend to regarding my classwork lol.
"Space= loneliness" is such a bullshit fandom handwave when literally every other Space player gets to be in a relationship.

asocksual
Classpect: seer of space I think

Post by asocksual » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:56 pm

Darth_Energon wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:04 pm
"Space= loneliness" is such a bullshit fandom handwave when literally every other Space player gets to be in a relationship.
yeah! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't overcoming loneliness and reaching out to others a huge thing for a lot of space players?
:kitty: hi.

calamityCons

Post by calamityCons » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:22 pm

I am not really clear on what the aspects mean to signify metaphorically. Oftentimes the classpect system comes across to me as nonsense or inherently contradictory because it isn't something that was meant to be so supremely important. Many fan-made theories on how classpects work and what they represent tend not to have too much consistency between them, so I think this is just another example of an aspect being a general superpower?

I originally had this whole theory that the four kids and their journeys were meant to signify things like destiny and divinity. John was the least divine, because he was the most grounded in reality, the most human of all the other kids, with no real desire to get into the nitty gritty depressing details of the world, and only want to bring joy and laughter into the world. Rose is a step up on the divinity ladder as a scholar, seeking the truth of the matter and detaching herself from mortality and the practical, thinking abstractly and hypothetically and trying to understand what it all MEANS. Dave was already in a shit situation, preparing and training for his entry into Sburb his entire life without even realizing it. He is still human, but he has lived in the realm of the theoretical, the abstract, and the cosmic and has grown up around it. He's the second-most divine out of the characters in the sense that he has been training and preparing for his ascension to godhood but still has humanity to him and still connects with his friends.

Jade is a special case because she was always prepared to become the witch of space, raised in it and steeped in myth and magic from an extremely young age, and she knows all about it, too. She is the closest to being a true God before the game begins, and has been isolated from humanity to reflect that. It's similar to like, a situation in mythology, where a divine creature must interact with the human drudgery but does not truly understand it, a changeling. And I always thought that this was intentional.

My original theory on Homestuck before the trolls became a part of the fun was that the four kids were essentially training to become divine beings/gods, which eventually came true. And that the way their stories would go, they would learn to come together and become one unit, learning how to find the perfect balance between humanity and divinity and become benevolent gods for their own world/galaxy. There was a lot of fun to be had imagining these princes and princesses attaining magic powers, a trickster god seeking to bring only joy, a god of light who must also know darkness, a god of time and death who suffered horribly and yet persists, and a god of space who needs to guide the others to their success.

I'm definitely not happy about how Jade gets punted aside and forgotten when she was so pivotal to the dynamic of the first acts. Sigh.

Leddy

Post by Leddy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:23 pm

That is a wonderful analysis calamityCons

On that last note yeah, same here. She's shunted aside or put through so much shit compared to the other characters and rarely got an opportunity to shine after early on. It really sucks, she was my favorite character from start to finish and it is so painful to be a Jade fan and just see the endless bad things happen to her for no reason other than because the universe says Fuck You Jade essentially.

Javepeta connoisseur
Professional Jade Stan

calamityCons

Post by calamityCons » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:32 pm

Leddy wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:23 pm
That is a wonderful analysis calamityCons
Aw, thank you! I've thought very deeply and thoroughly about Homestuck because despite everything, I still love the first five acts.

egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath

Post by egg » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:58 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:22 pm
I am not really clear on what the aspects mean to signify metaphorically. Oftentimes the classpect system comes across to me as nonsense or inherently contradictory because it isn't something that was meant to be so supremely important. Many fan-made theories on how classpects work and what they represent tend not to have too much consistency between them, so I think this is just another example of an aspect being a general superpower?
The real hot take is that Classpect has literally nothing to do with your personality and Calliope literally just made it all up. We have no evidence otherwise besides off-site sources like the EZ.
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.