HS^2 Chapter 15

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
BrobyDDark

Re: HS^2 Chapter 15

Post by BrobyDDark » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:46 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:51 pm
I'm keeping an eye on this thread because the "tumblrone" jokes are stepping into a transphobia gray area. The conversation seems dead for this update though because nothing fucking happened at all, so what even is there to talk about yknow?
I'd argue criticizing a wish and subsequent agreement to said wish made to pander to a very small subsect of fans who want to change a character into a specific identity by relating it to tumblr is about as transphobic as disagreeing with someone who just so happens to be trans.

I'm all for adding trans representation. Changing a pre-existing character for no reason can either be handled stupidly, or horribly, and has a very high chance of being insulting to transgender people. I think most people would rather they actually make a new character that happens to be trans, or if they still want to do a character coming out as trans, they should write a new character and have that be apart of their character arc.

Shitpost Lizard
Pronouns: fuck/fucker/fuckface
Classpect: Maid of Hope
Moon: Derse

Post by Shitpost Lizard » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:59 am

BrobyDDark wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:46 pm
I'd argue criticizing a wish and subsequent agreement to said wish made to pander to a very small subsect of fans who want to change a character into a specific identity by relating it to tumblr is about as transphobic as disagreeing with someone who just so happens to be trans.

I'm all for adding trans representation. Changing a pre-existing character for no reason can either be handled stupidly, or horribly, and has a very high chance of being insulting to transgender people. I think most people would rather they actually make a new character that happens to be trans, or if they still want to do a character coming out as trans, they should write a new character and have that be apart of their character arc.
They also had a wide-open opportunity to do it with the four new kids, without any clash to existing canon. Hell, you could have even had a kid of John's and Roxy's that looked identical to him, that started identifying as June.

I'm also agreeing that disagreeing with headcanon or changes to actual canon regarding characters being trans is not in itself transphobic.
This is a story about fictional characters after all, and it's fair to judge its execution and how it handles certain topics.
Caliborn Did Nothing Wrong
|Taurrius|
SL: Get drunk and contemplate where you fucked up in life.

[I draw stuff.]

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:35 am

Thanks for being so civil everybody. I think the biggest problem I’ve had lately is I’m kinda stressed for other reasons so I may have overreacted a smidge. Still, I agree that the approach HS2 has taken so far is very bad and stupid, the wish was made canon for extremely stupid reasons and yet the promise has yet to be kept after what. A year? Two years? Since the wish was made.

Also, I agree that this update was boring and felt a lot like filler. The best thing that happened was Roxy confirming his exhaustion over Davekat because goddamn do I agree it is becoming obnoxious. Just the previous update we saw Karkat being asked about Dave and getting mad because that seems to be the only thing anyone wants to talk to him about. They don’t have to re-establish that DaveKat is canon every time one or the other is present in the update.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:50 am

calamityCons wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:35 am
Thanks for being so civil everybody. I think the biggest problem I’ve had lately is I’m kinda stressed for other reasons so I may have overreacted a smidge.
No worries! I understand the feeling of moderating something and being a bit cautious of where a conversation can go.
calamityCons wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:35 am

Also, I agree that this update was boring and felt a lot like filler. The best thing that happened was Roxy confirming his exhaustion over Davekat because goddamn do I agree it is becoming obnoxious. Just the previous update we saw Karkat being asked about Dave and getting mad because that seems to be the only thing anyone wants to talk to him about. They don’t have to re-establish that DaveKat is canon every time one or the other is present in the update.
What gets me is that seemed to be a nod to people who have a problem with DaveKat as its being handled in HS2 proper

but the way they handled it this update makes it feel like they're shrugging off any actual DaveKat criticisms by having a character jokingly state them.

It feels like Dave is losing more of his personality beyond irony and loving Karkat with every update. As if those late night laundry room smooch sessions are chipping away at his soul.

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:15 am

It seems so bizarre and odd to me how out of touch the writing is to the actual fandom. Any and all criticisms of the hs2 story are parroted by Dirk and thus implicitly labeled as ‘bad and evil and must be stopped.’ Now that we have other characters bringing it up it still doesn’t really change anything about the perception. It’s hanging lampshades, but the story is moving so glacially slowly and this update was so unbearably void of substance that I’m just. Bored of it at this point.

Rather than constantly talking about Davekat Real and Davekat Annoying and Davekat Ruins The Both of Them can we just. Have the cool stuff start happening again? Can we skip over these endless conversations and move on to something else? Can DDD be promoted from behind the paywall and become the main plot instead because I am genuinely more interested in watching a mobster fight his old boss with a stranger who hired him for help finding his missing daughter than whatever the fuck is going on in hs2 proper.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

PilotBlackSmith
Location: Rio de Janeiro (Hell) - Brazil (Hell 2: Super Hell)
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Heir of Void

Post by PilotBlackSmith » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:52 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:15 am
It seems so bizarre and odd to me how out of touch the writing is to the actual fandom. Any and all criticisms of the hs2 story are parroted by Dirk and thus implicitly labeled as ‘bad and evil and must be stopped.’ Now that we have other characters bringing it up it still doesn’t really change anything about the perception. It’s hanging lampshades, but the story is moving so glacially slowly and this update was so unbearably void of substance that I’m just. Bored of it at this point.

Rather than constantly talking about Davekat Real and Davekat Annoying and Davekat Ruins The Both of Them can we just. Have the cool stuff start happening again? Can we skip over these endless conversations and move on to something else? Can DDD be promoted from behind the paywall and become the main plot instead because I am genuinely more interested in watching a mobster fight his old boss with a stranger who hired him for help finding his missing daughter than whatever the fuck is going on in hs2 proper.
no because some kids were mean to us on twitter so we gotta shittalk them using the comic

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

harmoniousCalamity
Pronouns: She/Her
Classpect: Lord Of Doom

Post by harmoniousCalamity » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:03 pm

vellinothewitch wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:32 pm
harmoniousCalamity wrote: tumblrone
Nice pun
You know I just can't spell actually, but I'll take it. Thanks. :insolent:
HC: There are twelve main classes Muse, Seer, Knight, Witch, Rogue, Heir, Page, Thief, Mage, Prince, Bard, Maid, and Lord---
YN:[yeah dude. Sylphs are fucking gay.].
HC: Shut up!

NAKNAKNAK

Post by NAKNAKNAK » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:56 am

PilotBlackSmith wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:52 pm

no because some kids were mean to us on twitter so we gotta shittalk them using the comic
Reminds me of earlier criticism of I want to say of either Candy timeline or Pesterquest (Posssibly both) where Ult Dirk basically voiced the common writing complaints. Just because you acknowledge in the work that the writing is bad, it doesn't make the writing less bad.
:professor: NAK NAK THERE IS A BUG ON MY SCREEN AND I CAN'T REACH IT TO SWAT IT AWAY WITH TINY ARMS NAK NAK NAK!!!

Shitpost Lizard
Pronouns: fuck/fucker/fuckface
Classpect: Maid of Hope

Post by Shitpost Lizard » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:48 am

NAKNAKNAK wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:56 am
Reminds me of earlier criticism of I want to say of either Candy timeline or Pesterquest (Posssibly both) where Ult Dirk basically voiced the common writing complaints. Just because you acknowledge in the work that the writing is bad, it doesn't make the writing less bad.
Not to mention that Dirk is also presented as a villain.
Caliborn Did Nothing Wrong
|Taurrius|
SL: Get drunk and contemplate where you fucked up in life.

[I draw stuff.]

AsherCrane
Classpect: Rogue of Light
Moon: Prospit

Post by AsherCrane » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:44 pm

Did I miss a hiatus announcement somewhere? It's been almost a month since the last update.

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:37 pm

AsherCrane wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:44 pm
Did I miss a hiatus announcement somewhere? It's been almost a month since the last update.
Likely they're celebrating the Holidays.