Jade Harley Appreciation Thread

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
Alt-Universe Wash
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Sylph of Space
Moon: Prospit

Re: Jade Harley Appreciation Thread

Post by Alt-Universe Wash » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:15 pm

Part of a larger (and I mean LARGE - like 8000x8000 pixels... shit) image I made of Jade fighting Bec Noir. The overall pic came out pretty well, but I really liked how Jade's face and the lighting and stuff here turned out.

Director/lead writer: Friendsim 2
Co-director: Stuck at Home Con
Founding member: Studio June

Twitter | Tumblr

Cherry_Bugs_
Pronouns: They/them

Post by Cherry_Bugs_ » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:36 pm

not to sound like a kinnie or anything but Jade Harley is everything I want to be as a person :apple:
maybe follow me on tumblr? https://cherry-bugs.tumblr.com/ or maybe my ao3?? (i will be posting homestuck fics in the future) https://archiveofourown.org/users/Cherry_Bugs or maybe join my hs discord server? https://discord.gg/S2wHY4g

:mutie:

classpectanon
Site Admin
Pronouns: They/It
Classpect: Sylph of Light
Moon: Derse

Post by classpectanon » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:42 pm

i love jade harley and i hope she is okay forever
I'm more easily reached at classpectanon#4228 on Discord. I will respond to reports faster there because PHPBB's notification system is borked and doesn't email me when you report things.

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time
Moon: Prospit

Post by RoyalFiddle » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:44 pm

Jade Harley is god dog, best friend. Seriously what a fantastic character she is
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

overThinker
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Seer of Light

Post by overThinker » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:45 am

i wish hussie showed off more of her intelligence. if (according to the epilogues) she taught herself complex theoretical physics as a kid then why was it never used in the story? i'm a little annoyed with how she's portrayed as just a silly nice girl when she's so much more than that

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:59 pm

overThinker wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:45 am
i wish hussie showed off more of her intelligence. if (according to the epilogues) she taught herself complex theoretical physics as a kid then why was it never used in the story? i'm a little annoyed with how she's portrayed as just a silly nice girl when she's so much more than that
according to the commentaries in the books? because shes useless.
:rosecool:

magnanimousLad

Post by magnanimousLad » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:51 pm

Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:59 pm
overThinker wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:45 am
according to the commentaries in the books? because shes useless.
Surely Hussie realises that as the one who wrote her, that's he's the one who decides whether a character is useless or not, and that any such uselessness in the narrative as a whole is a comment on him as a writer rather than on Jade's inherent potential as a character.

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:23 pm

This is not the only instance of Hussie digging his own grave and then refusing to lie in it. When it comes to Feferi's typing quirk, he says it gives him a headache and he hates it, but if he had simply thought ahead before he made up the typing quirks for these characters, he could have easily just given Feferi a less obnoxious typing quirk. Or perhaps even, say, not given the trolls whacky typing styles in the first place. Or even, for example, having them drop the quirks as they become closer to the main characters, make that a subtle indication of how close these characters are by whether or not they use their quirk.

Either way, Jade has a lot of incredible potential and she's a great character, her only real flaw was that she was overpowered to the point that she could basically solve every problem that was thrown at her with one of her many skills. That would have made things too easy, and who needs things to get EASIER when you're nearing the end of the story, eh? /sarcasm
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

pfeffer-29
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Heir of Mind

Post by pfeffer-29 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:46 am

magnanimousLad wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:51 pm
Surely Hussie realises that as the one who wrote her, that's he's the one who decides whether a character is useless or not, and that any such uselessness in the narrative as a whole is a comment on him as a writer rather than on Jade's inherent potential as a character.
I've always wondered why Hussie didn't just give the characters he didn't like some character development. Even if it's for no reason at all. If he thought Jade was boring, why didn't he slowly make her snarkier or less passive? It could be a consequence of living on the ship for three years. I think it would be a less controversial decision than removing her from the plot and/or reducing her to a plot device whose characterization is determined by the role she fills *glares at epilogues*.

Or better yet, why didn't Hussie conceptualize Jade with traits that would make her fun to write?
you can pry karezi out of my cold dead hands

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:33 am

Jade was already fun and an interesting character who was super interesting and I find her engaging and fun to write, myself. But the only way we can really know WHY Hussie finds Jade so annoying/boring/dull/unimportant is by asking him directly, and he never gives a straight answer, so we'd just be speculating till we were all blue in the face. The bottom line, though, is that Jade's situation is probably the MOST fucked up out of everyone's, and her refusal to deal with them maturely and the writers' refusal to give her agency in her own life is constantly holding her back. She deserves to have attention and care paid to her, she deserves to take the reins and DO SHIT already, even if it would make it "too easy" there is still a lot of cool shit that she can do to kick the pace into high gear already.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

Cole

Post by Cole » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:27 pm

i love jade. so much so that i made her toddler counterpart beat jack up