HS^2 Chapter 12

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
pfeffer-29
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Heir of Mind
Moon: Derse

HS^2 Chapter 12

Post by pfeffer-29 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:03 pm

you can pry karezi out of my cold dead hands

pfeffer-29

Re: HS^2 Chapter 12

Post by pfeffer-29 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:05 pm

Thoughts:

No contribution to the plot, just a heartfelt conversation between Dave and Karkat about their situation. I would've liked it if it didn't feel as soulless as it does.

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:16 pm

pfeffer-29 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:05 pm
Thoughts:

No contribution to the plot, just a heartfelt conversation between Dave and Karkat about their situation. I would've liked it if it didn't feel as soulless as it does.
hi stop reading my mind kthx

ThePungeonMaster
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by ThePungeonMaster » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:17 pm

My favorite update so far. I don't really get how people are saying it's "soulless." And even if it is, it doesn't really matter, as the writing for this update has been far better than most others we've seen from HS^2.
June X Vriska is the best ship.

overThinker
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Seer of Light

Post by overThinker » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:07 pm

kind of feels the same as the last update w their ship desu

Shitpost Lizard
Pronouns: fuck/fucker/fuckface
Classpect: Maid of Hope

Post by Shitpost Lizard » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:12 pm

It's cute and I like it,
but it still falls victim to what the writing in HS2 has done since its creation:
Spending like 3 pages on something that could be condensed into like 2 sentences.

I know Dave is a wordy motherfucker. I know Karkat is a wordy motherfucker.
But at some point this just feels like filler so they don't have to draw as many panels.
Caliborn Did Nothing Wrong
|Taurrius|
SL: Get drunk and contemplate where you fucked up in life.

[I draw stuff.]

trying
Classpect: Rogue of Breath
Moon: Prospit

Post by trying » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:55 pm

Weird that he said jesus instead of jegus.

I really shipped davekat back in the day, but idk I just wasn't feeling it. Maybe it's because i'm so far removed from reading homestuck proper. Good art, loved the colors.

That being said, kankat is OTP these days.

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:49 pm

ThePungeonMaster wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:17 pm
My favorite update so far. I don't really get how people are saying it's "soulless." And even if it is, it doesn't really matter, as the writing for this update has been far better than most others we've seen from HS^2.
Prolly 'cause it comes out of nowhere and seems like its only there for the page at the end where they kiss.

Also has a major case of telling and not showing. He tells us what he fears instead of seeing that fear. Karkat could have been put in a situation to make Dave worry, or maybe Dave could have remembered a time where Karkat nearly died. Could have shown Dave training to fight Dirk, showing that his heart isn't fully in to kill his brother. Maybe he starts doubting his thoughts more, not sure whether these fears are actually his or if Dirk's Keikaku is to make him think he has these thoughts, but really its just Dirk's influence. Its very reminiscent of the conversation had at the end of Homestuck where its just everyone in one big feelings circlejerk which, OK people may have liked, and it wasn't necessarily bad, but to me it didn't feel quite deserved. Same with this conversation here.

PilotBlackSmith
Location: Rio de Janeiro (Hell) - Brazil (Hell 2: Super Hell)
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Heir of Void

Post by PilotBlackSmith » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:43 pm

I have zero feelings towards romance or shipping

this didnt advance the plot in any way, it feels like just the meteor in act 6 again except there's no action or expectation for action

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:57 pm

it was meh. only thing worth mentioning is this page because of how weird it looks.
dave wtf is up with your eyes.PNG
dave wtf is up with your eyes.PNG (7.21 KiB) Viewed 24496 times
:rosecool:

Shitpost Lizard
Pronouns: fuck/fucker/fuckface
Classpect: Maid of Hope

Post by Shitpost Lizard » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:33 pm

Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:57 pm
it was meh. only thing worth mentioning is this page because of how weird it looks.
It's Karkat's sock. Dave is finally embracing his calling as a panda furry.
Caliborn Did Nothing Wrong
|Taurrius|
SL: Get drunk and contemplate where you fucked up in life.

[I draw stuff.]

classpectanon
Site Admin
Pronouns: They/It
Classpect: Sylph of Light

Post by classpectanon » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:03 am

Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:57 pm
STRIDERFLY
I'm more easily reached at classpectanon#4228 on Discord. I will respond to reports faster there because PHPBB's notification system is borked and doesn't email me when you report things.

pfeffer-29

Post by pfeffer-29 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:41 am

STRIDERFLY
STRIDERFLY
WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH HIS EYE
HAS A CHAT
SNOGS A TROLL
BUT HE HAS NO NARRATIVE ROLE
LOOK OUT, HERE COMES THE STRIDERFLY

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:47 pm

A slow-paced, character interaction and dialogue focused couple of chapters is not a bad thing in theory. Multiple slow-paced character interaction and dialogue focused chapters in a row becomes tiresome and boring.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

harmoniousCalamity
Pronouns: She/Her
Classpect: Lord Of Doom

Post by harmoniousCalamity » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:10 pm

Honestly with this update I can't say I cared much at all. Though then again I never cared for how they made Davekat a red ship and ran with it either. Kinda zapped the fun out of their relationship, but it at the very least was not a terrible groan worthy update.
HC: There are twelve main classes Muse, Seer, Knight, Witch, Rogue, Heir, Page, Thief, Mage, Prince, Bard, Maid, and Lord---
YN:[yeah dude. Sylphs are fucking gay.].
HC: Shut up!

luigi
Pronouns: ?/?/?
Classpect: Not Plumber of Pipes

Post by luigi » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:32 am

Ik Dave and and Karkar are supposed to be wordy but it feels like they're trying too hard to keep them long winded. Like especially karkars insult rants, they get weaker and weaker with each update. You could chalk that up in universe to him becoming more of a softy but... idk man seems like a weak excuse for bad writing. Dave wasn't as bad but he still falls into it. Dave and Karkar are hit hardest by the new writing team, it kinda feels like only Hussie can write them properly. Even RoboDave hanging out with Aradia was a little weird.

I can't exactly put my finger on what the difference is but their long winded metaphors and stuff like that seem more like what me and my 13 year old friends would try to come up with to sound like the characters back in middle school. Huh. Back when homestuck started the characters sounded like they were in their mid 20s now they sound 13.

Weird.
spambot wrote:The passion amongst men is increasing.

PilotBlackSmith
Location: Rio de Janeiro (Hell) - Brazil (Hell 2: Super Hell)
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Heir of Void

Post by PilotBlackSmith » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:16 pm

luigi wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:32 am
I can't exactly put my finger on what the difference is but their long winded metaphors and stuff like that seem more like what me and my 13 year old friends would try to come up with to sound like the characters back in middle school. Huh. Back when homestuck started the characters sounded like they were in their mid 20s now they sound 13.
that's because DAVE: ok yeah this is a better position to unleash all my inner fears n anxieties from isn't something I think Dave would say this directly, at least not with 200 layers of irony or trying to look cool while saying it
I don't know... I still remember Dave's personality as he was in acts 1-5, and while he "grew" (inb4 REAL PEOPLE DONT HAVE CHARACTER ARCS), I still remember him as the cool chill kid who doesnt want to talk about "boring" stuff like feelings and anxieties, at least not this directly

I mean, I never felt like homestuck characters at any single point acted like the age they're supposed to be but thats 100% just my opinion

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.