PesterQuest Discussion

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
KNA

Re: PesterQuest Discussion

Post by KNA » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:06 pm

Katnepesterquest.

ArchmageIsACat
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Maid of Doom
Moon: Derse

Post by ArchmageIsACat » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:46 pm

I really liked the handling of transfem vriska, and it increases the faith I already had that the team will do June justice, as she is inevitable.

eddie_morton
Classpect: page of void or doom or

Post by eddie_morton » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:49 am

kanaya & john felt ooc (the latter surprised me after learning hussie wrote his route (??) maybe i'm deluding myself on how john Is but anyway).

...might revisit this post to add stuff after i've played PQ a bit more, but as of now my route rankings are:

dave > rose > jade > john *big ol' wall* kanaya > karkat (simply because i can't even remember what happened with dude).
TT: You know you like the mannequin dick. Accept it.

TH4NK YOU B3N
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Mage of Heart
Moon: Prospit

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:46 pm

I like how John said that he wasn't being abused by his father even though literally nobody asked. It's a little forced, honestly, but I'm looking forward to seeing that pay off.
only bad takes here

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:30 pm

TH4NK YOU B3N wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:46 pm
I like how John said that he wasn't being abused by his father even though literally nobody asked. It's a little forced, honestly, but I'm looking forward to seeing that pay off.
I literally checked the pesterquest. I would say that the reader doesn't immediately bring it up and it would be unusually apt of john to know what he was thinking..

Then i remembered the fact that Dave said that the reader was narrating shit out loud and may have been at least since the the first pesterquest route.

if anything he probably felt suffocated by his doting at that time.

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:09 pm

John’s Pesterquest route was very odd because his Good Ending paid zero attention to his actual personality and instead was some general fluff featuring John talking to Dave a lot. John’s secondary route had John watching his future Meat Epilogue self and being really confused and forced to address some really powerful emotions that he just doesnt like having imo. He’s always been a bit of a space case whose stray thoughts distract him at any turn, but when his stray thought is something as heavy as deciphering the utter bullshit that is one of his possible futures, he has never had to face that before and likely needs some time to come to terms with the fact that he WILL grow up in general.

John’s somewhat thoughtful, for sure, but he isn’t used to thinking about deep emotional and social futures he may or may not have. He more considers things like what he knows his friends would like for their birthdays, the best way to utilize his shitty sylladex to fight an imp, how to use the wind to break the planet open. His ability to take really weird and crazy shit in his stride is something he was always criticized by the readership for, such as him being nonplussed when Rose could actually fuck with his physical house in reality, and being only somewhat upset when Nannasprite told him about how Earth was forever doomed. He shunts questions like those aside to deal with later because he’s very well adjusted and capable of handling anything you throw at him. If you throw his own future at him, though, without any sort of distraction or more pressing issue to deal with, John’s forced to accept that it happened and now he has the time to actually think it through properly.

I mean, how the fuck is John going to tell his dad that a mysterious being with no discernible qualities whatsoever lost his mail and then took him into the past where he met his future self wearing superhero pajamas? How is he going to parse all of that in his brain when the version MSPAR meets is the 13 year old young man who loves these cliche action movies and wants to be a stage comedian or magician when he grows up? John didn’t seem out of character for me per se, he just seemed like a passive bystander in what was going on around him and kinda just being himself. In the good ending, he doesn’t really encounter anything challenging, he just feels sad because his birthday presents failed to arrive but he met this one weird person who he gets to play with for an afternoon instead. In the bad ending, he is forced to face things he really would rather not, and he doesn’t understand it at all so he has to think about it.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:07 pm

Jane's pesterquest was quite good and kinda connected a few dots and traits together about her i think. Explosive temper but is ultimately well meaning. Meaning cnayd jane is just in constant rage mode.

there is also implications that now a Nega reader is unleashed by the Condesce and shit is gonna go crazy by the end, if it remains 'canon'.

Generally i have found the pesterquests very interesting. In part because there is this growing feeling that it connects to HS^2 right now and is sort of a bridge between Homestuck and Hiveswap. Some routes have been hit and miss though or didn't cover much about characters, though it rom the beginning has this mystery going on that Friendsim initially lacked. The Puppetmaster, who is presumably behind both these current events AND Hiveswap i wager. Generally things are going off the rails in a VERY homestuck manner.

Its like pesterquest in Friendsim's act 2. Or is it 4 that things go a bit crazy? Starts relatively down to earth and now crazy shit is happening.

eddie_morton

Post by eddie_morton » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:35 pm

gamzee's route was fun. do wish the writer had explored his lack of a relationship with his goat dad, and maybe how that shaped his current personality but w/e i wasn't expecting much. it's basically a fangame anyway

eridan's route was FUN too i sort of lost it over how cute his sprites were and all that glittery bluster but i'll admit i don't understand why he went on that spiel about gender...do trolls even care about gender roles? i don't remember that ever being brought up in the comic

i think i'll go back and read the other routes later

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:19 am

eddie_morton wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:35 pm
gamzee's route was fun. do wish the writer had explored his lack of a relationship with his goat dad, and maybe how that shaped his current personality but w/e i wasn't expecting much. it's basically a fangame anyway

eridan's route was FUN too i sort of lost it over how cute his sprites were and all that glittery bluster but i'll admit i don't understand why he went on that spiel about gender...do trolls even care about gender roles? i don't remember that ever being brought up in the comic

i think i'll go back and read the other routes later
Well the thing is... i don't think its much of a fan game. Even withou the whole being made by guys actualyl working on the comic, there is this really, really weird feeling that this is gonna loop into HS^2 at some point. I mean both the epilogues and hs^2 were referenced here. In fact hs^2 was referenced before it was even announced.

TH4NK YOU B3N
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Mage of Heart
Moon: Prospit

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:55 am

In Roxy's route, the Reader is called a person. In John's route, he claims the Reader isn't a person. He also seems to be aware of the Reader's powers even though he's supposed to have only learned about them in a bad ending.
only bad takes here

eddie_morton

Post by eddie_morton » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:31 pm

thorondraco wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:19 am
Well the thing is... i don't think its much of a fan game. Even withou the whole being made by guys actualyl working on the comic, there is this really, really weird feeling that this is gonna loop into HS^2 at some point. I mean both the epilogues and hs^2 were referenced here. In fact hs^2 was referenced before it was even announced.
i'm thinking of hs^2 as a fanwork as well lol

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:46 pm

TH4NK YOU B3N wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:55 am
In Roxy's route, the Reader is called a person. In John's route, he claims the Reader isn't a person. He also seems to be aware of the Reader's powers even though he's supposed to have only learned about them in a bad ending.
Coulda shown John the powers after the fact. Friendship established before showing off magic powers.

That is quite interesting though, what Roxy said. It could mean that there has been an immense change inside of the reader since john's route. That or Roxy with her voidy powers is able to see something the others couldn't.

to think the reader literally started out as a blank slate thembo friendslut. And even out of universe he was created because they needed to buy more time and get some funds cause of 'restructuring' likely thanks to goddamn Viz. Now he has the power ot shape reality in homestuck and is becoming vastly more than a blankslate.

Question is if this is the final stop for the Reader or if he becomes something else next. Or if there is more adventures to be had. Or even if they end up a character in Homestuck^2

TrizzaTethis
Pronouns: She/Her
Classpect: Mage of Hope

Post by TrizzaTethis » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:53 am

Am I allowed to agree with OP at this point? They don't do anything to make me want to learn about these characters we already know about.

Like oh hey another characterizing visual novel. OH WAIT It's for characters we already know about! WHY DO THEY THINK WE NEED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT CHARACTERS WE HAVE ALREADY LEARNED EVERYTHING ABOUT?!