Carapaces Are People Too

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
Sahxyel

Re: Carapaces Are People Too

Post by Sahxyel » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:19 am

calamityCons wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:54 pm
I dunno man the whole reason I made this thread was because Carapace Raised Roxy Who Loves Her Chess Family is a huge missed opportunity and I’m sad about it.
I'm personally sad there wasn't an Alpha AR who raised Roxy and taught her how to shoot, it was all right there and we've seen duplicates of the Midnight Crew in different sessions. :lime:
:professor: Honeybee Professor Says: Problem Sleuth is better than Homestuck!

It's a mathematical fact!

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom
Moon: Derse

Post by calamityCons » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:31 am

Dude if the Exiles from Beta Earth showed up as Roxy's Cara-Parents that would be so fucking cute. She learns justice from PM and listening to others from WV and how to shoot from AR and it would be a blast.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

ZingDev
Pronouns: Male

Post by ZingDev » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:10 am

Then you get to kill off PM and WV as a reverse cascade thing with AR being the survivor, add more motive for Roxy to hate the condense while also setting up a reunion with the 3 later in the act.

calamityCons

Post by calamityCons » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:24 am

I don't know about anyone else, but I think Roxy being a real weirdo who doesn't really care about the loss of humanity beyond its connection to herself personally re: Alpha Rose would make for some great interpersonal conflict with Dirk that is NOT a romantic dodecahedron. Dirk gives many, MANY shits about Humanity's history and his troll-style "ancestor" but Roxy grew up wondering when her shell would grow in and being confused why Dirk has no parents when she has a whopping THREE of them.

Her rivalry with the Condesce would also be more palpable for Roxy because she could have grown up with horrid tales of what the Condesce did to Earth, and WV's hatred for Kings could be redirected in Alpha WV to be toward the Queen, so Roxy grows up hating her because WV hates her. And then she learns the horrible truth about WHY she's really bad when Condesce murderizes 2/3 of her parents, and Alpha AR is there keeping the dream alive with his only remaining family member and they run around shooting pewpew bullets and doing cool shit involving law enforcement.

foreverFlummoxed
Pronouns: Call me w/e, idgaf
Classpect: Rogue of Light
Moon: Prospit

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:51 pm

Broke: Roxy lives alone with violent carapacians and wanting to be like alpha rose

Woke:
(artist's rendition)
Seriously though, this should have happened.

Who needs stab-dads when you have post-modern family
FF: Personally, I think my skills are near-mediocre at best. that's really all there is to say on the matter.

FF: I couldn't figure out how to get it in the profile field so here's my YouTube channel

overThinker
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Seer of Light

Post by overThinker » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:20 pm

unrelated to the conversation at hand but i'm rereading the epilogues and i thought this would be a good excerpt to post
KARKAT: I MEAN, I DON’T CLAIM TO BE AN EXPERT ON XENOPSYCHOLOGY, BUT FOR SOME REASON I STRUGGLE TO IMAGINE A FUCKING SALAMANDER GETTING THE GUMPTION TO THROW HIS CRUMPLED HAT INTO THE RING FOR THE PRESIDENCY OF EARTH.
KARKAT: OR THE CARAPACIANS FOR THAT MATTER?
KARKAT: THESE ARE NOT AMBITIOUS CREATURES WE’RE TALKING ABOUT HERE, DAVE.
KARKAT: THEY’RE A HUGE FLOCK OF WOOLBEASTS, DAVE.

DAVE: karkat dont stereotype
DAVE: remember the mayor
DAVE: remember how at one point a long time ago he raised an army and rebelled against an evil king

KARKAT: OH YEAH
KARKAT: SOMEHOW I ALWAYS FORGET HE DID THAT.
KARKAT: KIND OF MIND BOGGLING, REALLY.
KARKAT: HOLY SHIT, I MISS THE MAYOR.

DAVE: me too
so yeah there you go lol they pay due respect

and byootiful image flummoxed
Last edited by overThinker on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calamityCons

Post by calamityCons » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:21 pm

Caraparented!Roxy and Canon!Roxy meet each other somehow through shenanigans.

Caraparented!Roxy: so wheres ur mom
Canon!Roxy: *starts to mcfucking cry* she ded
Caraparented!Roxy: oh shit man im so sorry i didnt mean to bring up the bad feels shit im an asshole huh
Canon!Roxy: no way its fine ur from another timeline so its cool

Alpha PM: *comes home from mail route*
Caraparented!Roxy: MOM CAN WE ADOPT MY TIME TWIN PLEASE
PM: Yes. Definitely. Absolutely.
Canon!Roxy: 0_0

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:40 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:21 pm
Caraparented!Roxy and Canon!Roxy meet each other somehow through shenanigans.

Caraparented!Roxy: so wheres ur mom
Canon!Roxy: *starts to mcfucking cry* she ded
Caraparented!Roxy: oh shit man im so sorry i didnt mean to bring up the bad feels shit im an asshole huh
Canon!Roxy: no way its fine ur from another timeline so its cool

Alpha PM: *comes home from mail route*
Caraparented!Roxy: MOM CAN WE ADOPT MY TIME TWIN PLEASE
PM: Yes. Definitely. Absolutely.
Canon!Roxy: 0_0
God yes XD

maybe there is a timeline where that happened.

Sahxyel

Post by Sahxyel » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:04 pm

foreverFlummoxed wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:51 pm
Broke: Roxy lives alone with violent carapacians and wanting to be like alpha rose

Woke:
(artist's rendition)
Seriously though, this should have happened.

Who needs stab-dads when you have post-modern family
Does Alpha WV's sash say #1 Dad? Absolute perfection if so.
:professor: Honeybee Professor Says: Problem Sleuth is better than Homestuck!

It's a mathematical fact!

foreverFlummoxed
Pronouns: Call me w/e, idgaf
Classpect: Rogue of Light

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:25 pm

Sahxyel wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:04 pm
Does Alpha WV's sash say #1 Dad? Absolute perfection if so.
Why yes, it does in fact say exactly that.
#1 DAD full img.
Show

There was a version with WQ on the bed but alpha WQ stayed in the session so i decided against.(it's in the custom sprite thread though)

(backing away from the thing a threw together in 10 minutes or so)
Genius deduction that AR would stop Rose from drinking, due to underage drinking being illegal.

But can we talk about the most important carapacian: The Writ Keeper?
FF: Personally, I think my skills are near-mediocre at best. that's really all there is to say on the matter.

FF: I couldn't figure out how to get it in the profile field so here's my YouTube channel

calamityCons

Post by calamityCons » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:49 pm

All we truly know about the Writ Keeper are a couple things we can infer from what he is seen doing

According to lore, Prospit attacks first. However when PM explainsthe situation to him he willingly gives her his staffand crown so she can complete her part of the bargain with Jack. Then later we see iconography and other proof that he loves his wife. Finally, the last thing we really see him do is read Rose’s wizard story.

I also like to think that the castle in [S] Seer: Descend is WK’s like. Summer getaway castle. And all the books in the library there that you can read are HIS books. It adds a lot of nuance that he reads books that are on loan from the Dersite Library, or that one book about the future that forced rose to wonder if Prospitians developed a cheery society because their Skaian clouds always told them of their sorrowful future, so they compensate with generic happiness.

ZingDev
Pronouns: Male

Post by ZingDev » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:58 am

WK sounds like dad of the year imo

luigi
Pronouns: ?/?/?
Classpect: Not Plumber of Pipes

Post by luigi » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:32 pm

After playing all of Friendsim and Pesterquest I have come to disagree with the statement that Roxy sees the carapaces as less than what she saw them as in Homestuck proper. The first interaction you have with her in her route is literally her thinking you're a chess guy and trying to feed you with a big juicy pumpkin. Once inside the house she never says a single disparaging thing about the carapace people other than they're literally a different species with no verbal language as far as she knows, so she can't relate to them and feels lonely. She never devalues or de"humanizes" (depersonifies?) in any way.

I would say it makes sense for her to see them as lesser in the same way we see dogs as lesser, because they're literally not as intelligent and we have no good, consistent methods of communicating with them.

That said I still think the Carapaces got shafted in the series overall, I just don't think Pesterquest Roxy is a good example of this. She only sounds carapaceist if you take her out of context.
spambot wrote:The passion amongst men is increasing.

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time

Post by RoyalFiddle » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:35 pm

Caraparented Roxy would actually be a fantastic character for a fan project, thinking about it. Maybe add in a Consort raised Dirk, a Jane directly raised by the Batterwitch, and a Jadebot raised Jake. Of course, you could have them be prescratch and have them engage in a scratch to lead into a Circus life John, a Jade raised with Jude and Joey with Granpa Harley and Bec in the picture (Or have Jade have accidentally killed Gramps and the other two resenting her a little for it), and maaaaybe a Rose and Dave who ended up raising each other (Or have Dave be a birb to which would be Rose's companion).
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:50 pm

luigi wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:32 pm
After playing all of Friendsim and Pesterquest I have come to disagree with the statement that Roxy sees the carapaces as less than what she saw them as in Homestuck proper. The first interaction you have with her in her route is literally her thinking you're a chess guy and trying to feed you with a big juicy pumpkin. Once inside the house she never says a single disparaging thing about the carapace people other than they're literally a different species with no verbal language as far as she knows, so she can't relate to them and feels lonely. She never devalues or de"humanizes" (depersonifies?) in any way.

I would say it makes sense for her to see them as lesser in the same way we see dogs as lesser, because they're literally not as intelligent and we have no good, consistent methods of communicating with them.

That said I still think the Carapaces got shafted in the series overall, I just don't think Pesterquest Roxy is a good example of this. She only sounds carapaceist if you take her out of context.
That i agree. And the sad truth is they are designed to be shafted. They are designed to lose. Either you are white and lose the war because you ahve to, or your are the black ones and it is a 'bad thing' that you win the war and your king and queen isn't slaughtered by a bunch of ill fated teenagers taking out the post apocalyptic angst out on them.