New Update! Chapter 4: The Contest

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
Sokota
Pronouns: he/they

New Update! Chapter 4: The Contest

Post by Sokota » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:57 pm

Kidpen
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Seer of Mind
Moon: Derse

Re: New Update! Chapter 4: The Contest

Post by Kidpen » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:06 pm

Aaand we're back to Dirk and Rose. Not that I'm complaining, I'm glad to be back at a character we've already seen. I am wondering a couple things though.
For one, are we gonna get more Dirk and Rose next or keep doing the round robin a go back to Jake?
Are we going to see more of the game or just skip to all species created and more sburb?
Team Dirk must be stopped hasn't made an appearance. Will they?
Probably some other stuff in forgetting.
the epilogues were good.

Sokota
Pronouns: he/they

Post by Sokota » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:09 pm

I gotta say, out of all the released chapters, The Contest is my favorite so far. Maybe it's because it was only a little bit emotional catharsis and more world building. I think I'm probably alone in this, but I'm sort of happy we're getting a new species, new characters that will play this new version of Sburb (Will Dirk replace Skaia?). Definitely has raised my excitement for HS^2 tho

Ian Gitax

Post by Ian Gitax » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:10 pm

I can't help but feel like this story really should have started with the results of this contest and then given us the content we currently have in flashbacks.

MorganMustDie
Pronouns: f

Post by MorganMustDie » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:27 pm

as much as I LOVE that we're getting on track with the story and that we got to see TEREZI!! and that we're learning more about the Sburb game and there's NEW ALIENS and a NEW COOL LOOKING PLANET and some level of alchemy shit and I'm thankful for all of that (i did actually dig this update for those things)

the writing is just,, full of "as you know" exposition, and like, they're not even trying to hide it. dirk even calls out that this is an exposition chapter, and it's just paragraphs upon paragraphs of explanations which could have been SHOWN and not TOLD which is something Hussie rarely ever did. you don't get a pass for longwinded, kinda boring writing just because haha you're self aware and you called yourself out for having longwinded, kinda boring writing. in fact, that makes it worse, even, since you're aware its not the best but you're not doing anything to make it better

i dunno i really really really wanted to like this chapter a lot more than I did, but when the longest page of the whole thing is filled with high school level writing it just,, kinda highlights what made Hussie's style so great and I really really miss it.

It's something I learned in order to cope with... well, never mind. It's better this way, and I'm not gonna air my "trauma" or whatever in front of all y'all.
This sounds like something out of an angst fanfiction
Image Perfection.

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:34 pm

surprise! the best things about this comic are the pics! who would have tought right?

anyway, this people need to learn about pacing cause it gets to points where its completely unsufferable.

the concept of the new aliens looks cool, the alchemy shit looks fucking awesome. terezi with long hair is best terezi. and rose's new outfit is fucking beautiful. decent update~
:rosecool:

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:57 pm

MorganMustDie wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:27 pm
as much as I LOVE that we're getting on track with the story and that we got to see TEREZI!! and that we're learning more about the Sburb game and there's NEW ALIENS and a NEW COOL LOOKING PLANET and some level of alchemy shit and I'm thankful for all of that (i did actually dig this update for those things)

the writing is just,, full of "as you know" exposition, and like, they're not even trying to hide it. dirk even calls out that this is an exposition chapter, and it's just paragraphs upon paragraphs of explanations which could have been SHOWN and not TOLD which is something Hussie rarely ever did. you don't get a pass for longwinded, kinda boring writing just because haha you're self aware and you called yourself out for having longwinded, kinda boring writing. in fact, that makes it worse, even, since you're aware its not the best but you're not doing anything to make it better

i dunno i really really really wanted to like this chapter a lot more than I did, but when the longest page of the whole thing is filled with high school level writing it just,, kinda highlights what made Hussie's style so great and I really really miss it.

It's something I learned in order to cope with... well, never mind. It's better this way, and I'm not gonna air my "trauma" or whatever in front of all y'all.
This sounds like something out of an angst fanfiction
To the point that it cannot be anyhting but deliberate.

Also it is interesting that they will be working towards creating their own species. WE will get to species kinda competing... eventually. Definitely not that first shit. That was weird but i love the idea of it.

And yea it got long winded but when two blowhards are competing you have to predict the malestom that comes.

Also this makes me wonder if this is how all species are created for sburb. Humans and trolls alike, and any other species out there. Which completely alters how we would view how sburbs happens. Meaning that the sburb players are likely the genesis of their species. The planet gets seeded/destined to bear this new species, and the sburb thus happens from there. But it means there is a transition point before everything becomes 'Fate'.

OOOH wait a damn minute. What if this is how horror terros came into being? They are failed experiments!

ThePungeonMaster
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by ThePungeonMaster » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:42 pm

It's probably more my own taste and Dirk-bias rather than how good this chapter was, but personally, I loved it.
I was super worried that they'd fuck up Dirk, but really everything is about as good as I could have hoped for. (Granted, they still have plenty of time to mess him up. Knock on wood.) Now this is definitely personal taste, but I actually really enjoyed the dialogue between Dirk and Rose, and the exposition really didn't bother me much at all. I even found the joke about Plato's Allegory of the Cave funny. The idea of the contest is one I really like, and I could see going a lot of interesting places.
The art was really good, even if Rosebot's outfit looks super fuckin' ridiculous.
Granted, not all the writing was perfect, some of it was a bit on the nose and obnoxious, but really it's not something that got under my skin, because all the text felt genuine, and still had a good degree of personality to it, which is really all I'm looking for. I don't care if it gets a bit juvenile and edgy so long as it's consistently a bit juvenile and edgy.
I can understand how people could find this kind of writing obnoxious, and honestly I expect a lot of people to hate this portion of the story, but really I thought it was entertaining enough, and none of the stuff other people dislike about it really gets under my skin.
June X Vriska is the best ship.

Shitpost Lizard
Pronouns: fuck/fucker/fuckface
Classpect: Maid of Hope

Post by Shitpost Lizard » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:56 pm

Time for them to bullshit around with setting mechanics instead of just prattling about angst and relationships and angsty relationships.
I am here for this kind of shit.

Also Terezi's new look is probably my favorite so far.
Caliborn Did Nothing Wrong
|Taurrius|
SL: Get drunk and contemplate where you fucked up in life.

[I draw stuff.]

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:19 pm

Liked the alien pot. Liked the new Terezi

Dirk is as insufferable as ever, and Rose is joining in.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:42 pm

Shitpost Lizard wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:56 pm
Time for them to bullshit around with setting mechanics instead of just prattling about angst and relationships and angsty relationships.
I am here for this kind of shit.

Also Terezi's new look is probably my favorite so far.
The sburb nonsense returneth..

I wonder if htis is how all sburb session start, or at least similarly. Maybe by another hand but someone creates a new species for sburb, seeds a planet, and thus the sburb.

But it means there is a interum where shit is not predestined.

overThinker
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Seer of Light

Post by overThinker » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:53 pm

i can't wait to see how the different "realities" (meat and candy) intersect. dirk keeps emphasizing how he wants complete control over the development of its civilization, so it makes me excited to see him flip his shit when calliope and other stuff from candy potentially affect meat somehow, partly compromising his and rose's power. i wanna see stuff get messed up yo

recursiveSlacker
Pronouns: he/him

Post by recursiveSlacker » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:02 pm

It's an interesting direction to go in, but the "feel" of a few panels as well as the general feel of the comic still isn't right. I hope it'll eventually come into its own, but I'm not incredibly confident in that.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:24 pm

overThinker wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:53 pm
i can't wait to see how the different "realities" (meat and candy) intersect. dirk keeps emphasizing how he wants complete control over the development of its civilization, so it makes me excited to see him flip his shit when calliope and other stuff from candy potentially affect meat somehow, partly compromising his and rose's power. i wanna see stuff get messed up yo
Its hard t osya what Dirk's overall plan is. Rose seems to think that this is largely them 'fulfilling their destiny'. but Dirk obviously has other plans here.

From what we know, Paradox space got borked. The furthest ring got sucked into the black hole. So what exactly will happen?

Dirk HAS to know that they are right on their tail right now. So he has to do something to wayleigh everyone coming in. And alt calliope has to enter the frog in her dead jade form to deal with it.

VASKA
Pronouns: She/her, They/them

Post by VASKA » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:30 pm

God I hope Dirk keeps that derpy little motherfucker. I want to see these things thrive and prosper.
Only cuties survive the near future

lillithRamie
Pronouns: she/them

Post by lillithRamie » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:46 pm

I'm looking forward to whatever Terezi is going to end up doing with that June captchacard and this ecto alchemy machine.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:10 am

VASKA wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:30 pm
God I hope Dirk keeps that derpy little motherfucker. I want to see these things thrive and prosper.
It becomes the cornerstone of the planet's food economy. the tentacles are harvested like one would apples. but they grow back super fast.

has a texture like a mix btween calamari and star fruit.

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time
Moon: Prospit

Post by RoyalFiddle » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:18 am

lillithRamie wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:46 pm
I'm looking forward to whatever Terezi is going to end up doing with that June captchacard and this ecto alchemy machine.
Oh sweet fucking lord

I'm glad we are finally reaching the point in Homestuck^2 where I am just about chomping at the bit for more content
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:22 am

what is he doing here?
Screenshot_2020-02-15-12-20-58-122_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2020-02-15-12-20-58-122_com.android.chrome.jpg (483.13 KiB) Viewed 16227 times
:rosecool:

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time
Moon: Prospit

Post by RoyalFiddle » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:23 am

Heart power shit, presumably, and likely mostly for effect, because that's the kinda dude Dirk is
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]