BONUS UPDATE. A Treatise on Representational Democracy

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
thorondraco

BONUS UPDATE. A Treatise on Representational Democracy

Post by thorondraco » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:29 pm

It be out now! And we seem to be temporarily shifting into another story for the time being. History of Earth c.. Then again still sorta connected to the events of the other.

We may learn what became of the mayor and it ended with an ominous note itself. Part 2 might imply a major conflict that arises.

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom
Moon: Derse

Re: BONUS UPDATE. A Treatise on Representational Democracy

Post by calamityCons » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:16 pm

*BUSTS THE FUCK IN*

DID SOMEONE SAY WAYWARD FUCKING VAGABOND
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

NAKNAKNAK

Post by NAKNAKNAK » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:17 pm

For what ends up being a wall of text at the end at least this shows how Earth C works although a few things stand out as being problems. A kingdom losing seats in the house over low voter turn out and a political party can at most have 1/4 of the seats in the house, postal workers acting as the court and eventually other forms of civil servants, plus consorts have such short life spans that dying in office is a common enough occurrence that a good chunk of the rules dictate what happens if someone dies in office.

Also no mention of any presidents. The highest office is a global mayor. Looks like the Mayor's governing system and the one currently in use on Earth C are significantly different.
:professor: NAK NAK THERE IS A BUG ON MY SCREEN AND I CAN'T REACH IT TO SWAT IT AWAY WITH TINY ARMS NAK NAK NAK!!!

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:27 pm

NAKNAKNAK wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:17 pm
For what ends up being a wall of text at the end at least this shows how Earth C works although a few things stand out as being problems. A kingdom losing seats in the house over low voter turn out and a political party can at most have 1/4 of the seats in the house, postal workers acting as the court and eventually other forms of civil servants, plus consorts have such short life spans that dying in office is a common enough occurrence that a good chunk of the rules dictate what happens if someone dies in office.

Also no mention of any presidents. The highest office is a global mayor. Looks like the Mayor's governing system and the one currently in use on Earth C are significantly different.
i think that is only an issue with the amphibians and maybe the iguanas. Turtles and crocs? Flocking immortal basically. But it Is an issue.

Still ensuring tha tthe four houses can't outnumber each other is kinda what americans need. It could risk gumming up the works more but the houses having a majority is a plague to democracy AND a republic alike.
Last edited by thorondraco on Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:36 pm

ah, the irony in here is just beautiful. love it. :rosecool:
:rosecool:

calamityCons

Post by calamityCons » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:33 pm

I want to know if there is substantial Carapace Content (tm) for me to bite the bullet and pay the patreon for access to this bonus update. Please let me know if the carapaces are not mentioned simply in passing, if they have an actual section dedicated to them or something, ANYTHING, please I must know, I pine for the chess people.

NAKNAKNAK

Post by NAKNAKNAK » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:36 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:33 pm
I want to know if there is substantial Carapace Content (tm)
Not really? It's basically a summary of early Earth C government.
:professor: NAK NAK THERE IS A BUG ON MY SCREEN AND I CAN'T REACH IT TO SWAT IT AWAY WITH TINY ARMS NAK NAK NAK!!!

calamityCons

Post by calamityCons » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:41 pm

Darn. My demand for chess people must remain supplied by my own damn artwork. Ah well. Thanks for telling me!

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:05 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:41 pm
Darn. My demand for chess people must remain supplied by my own damn artwork. Ah well. Thanks for telling me!
It largely deals with the Mayor's story and how he and the mendicant structured and built earth c's government... and likely part two will talk about how things started going not so perfectly.

its told akin to someone retelling the history of earth c, like in a storybook.

TH4NK YOU B3N
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Mage of Heart
Moon: Prospit

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:18 am

Wayward Vagabond is there? *repatreons*

Well, I guess it would make sense for the Mayor to be dead if he stayed behind. The exposition also functions as characterization of PM and WV in my mind.

It's pretty funny that the quarters are called Kingdoms despite the Mayor's distaste for kings. I guess that Wayward Vagabond's perspective is limited to what he knows.

there's too many clever puns. i wonder who wrote this

Oh wow I noticed that there's no mention of a presidency in this exposition
only bad takes here

calamityCons

Post by calamityCons » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:29 pm

Wait, so the kingdoms were called kingdoms even when WV wrote up the law? What in the everloving fuck. He would never stand for that. Once a fucking gain, WV's agency and personality is minimized for no reason. Grrr I am angry.

(I'm joking, this is something I kind of expected because I don't really think anyone on the current Homestuck creative team gives as much of a shit about WV as I do and I don't expect them to start grokking it any time soon.)

TH4NK YOU B3N

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:21 pm

I thought I double posted by mistake but something weird happened and I don't know how to bring the previous post back.
Last edited by TH4NK YOU B3N on Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
only bad takes here

TH4NK YOU B3N

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:39 pm

Yeah, that's me. I don't see how your meta is incompatible with the guy preferring to eat books instead of reading them. He can dream of a democratic future, but making up new forms of governance is hard. Super fucking hard. I couldn't do it. Most charitably, the four kingdoms were already called kingdoms in the snapchat credits, so there's not much that could be salvaged from that.

My only jab is a jab against you having low expectations. Not because it's incorrect, but because your only option then is to be disappointed. If they don't care, then it's still bad. If they do care, you read it uncharitably. At least with normal expectations you're only disappointed some of the time.

It's likely that there isn't anybody on the writing team that cares about WV as much as you do, but that's more of a compliment to you than an insult to them.
only bad takes here

calamityCons

Post by calamityCons » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:53 pm

Bugh. Thank you for the clarification. Sigh.

TH4NK YOU B3N

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:09 pm

I use "just" as a humility signifier rather than literally meaning "only." I am just a man who is on the online I make mistakes. Sorry.

Also, I just realized that there's the Legislative Branch and the Judicial Branch, but there's no Executive Branch because Aimless Renegade is dead. :(

Only with all three can true democracy come to fruition. #RetconAuthorityRegulatorAlive
only bad takes here

calamityCons

Post by calamityCons » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:40 pm

Agreed. Me @ Homestuck please bring back Authority Regulator.

But it's not really made for me in particular anyway so eh.

TH4NK YOU B3N

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:03 pm

https://www.homestuck.com/problem-sleuth/603

hussie trying too hard to do problem sleuth again. :/
only bad takes here

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:43 pm

TH4NK YOU B3N wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:09 pm
I use "just" as a humility signifier rather than literally meaning "only." I am just a man who is on the online I make mistakes. Sorry.

Also, I just realized that there's the Legislative Branch and the Judicial Branch, but there's no Executive Branch because Aimless Renegade is dead. :(

Only with all three can true democracy come to fruition. #RetconAuthorityRegulatorAlive
So it means some armed threat comes along too. But..where would it come from? Nosign that aliens came to earth c.

TH4NK YOU B3N

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:48 pm

You know how Consorts have short lifespans? That means they have to breed frequently to keep their population stable. Maybe they go to war and win simply because they have greater numbers.

Plus, if the Viceroy is there (idk if they are or not), fallen soldiers mean more skeletons to draft.
only bad takes here

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:08 pm

TH4NK YOU B3N wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:48 pm
You know how Consorts have short lifespans? That means they have to breed frequently to keep their population stable. Maybe they go to war and win simply because they have greater numbers.

Plus, if the Viceroy is there (idk if they are or not), fallen soldiers mean more skeletons to draft.
well that is the salamanders and that is still upwards of a decade or so. We don't know how long the turtles and crocs live... probably a long time.

Regardless the consorts have no impulses of conquest... it is possible that Jack noir shows up and starts something. We don't know his fate and this could be part of what happened.