Feferi's route was... disappointing.

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
arachnidsGrip
Pronouns: They/Them
Classpect: Page of Light
Moon: Derse

Feferi's route was... disappointing.

Post by arachnidsGrip » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:47 pm

So, yesterday the newest Pesterquest routes came out, Eridan's route and Feferi's route.

Eridan's route was good! It was very interesting to see more of his character, his theme was good and his route had references to [S] Collide and Friendsim! I think seeing more into who he is, what he thinks, and how he interacts was interesting! Particularly I like that it's just casually mentioned that he owns and likes to wear dresses. Like, no one questioned him for it, it wasn't used as a joke with him as the punchline, or just another reason why he's creepy and weird, it was just a thing that makes him happy! That's SO rare in media, I don't think I've EVER seen someone who's male presenting who isn't given shit for liking feminine clothing. Ultimately he's one of the characters I feel really needed more depth as he was killed pretty early on and wasn't ever really revisited as a character, and I think his Pesterquest route gave him that.

Feferi's route on the other hand...
Honestly, I'm kind of angry over Feferi's route. Once again it feels like she was pushed aside for plot development. And I don't know about you, but I didn't even understand any of that weird plot stuff. Her dialogue felt off, like a caricature of herself. And what's up with her weird crystal ball lusus tentacle?? With mysterious Karako in it??? That's... I just feel like that's so dumb and weird and unnecessary. Here we get a route where Eridan is explored further and is set on the path of developing, whereas Feferi turns into... a monk? There are so many other BETTER ways that she could have been shunted aside for plot development. It feels like any chance at her developing was pushed aside, and not even for a good reason.
It particularly angers me because Feferi is easily one of the least developed characters in Homestuck. She had little screen time, she was killed off early, and she didn't get anything past her death, aside from maybe a conversation or few with Jade. This was realistically her last chance at becoming a character with any semblance of depth. I seriously doubt she'll show up in Homestuck^2. It's not fair to her, and it really sucks for people like me who were hoping to finally get some development for her.

thorondraco

Re: Feferi's route was... disappointing.

Post by thorondraco » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:59 pm

arachnidsGrip wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:47 pm
So, yesterday the newest Pesterquest routes came out, Eridan's route and Feferi's route.

Eridan's route was good! It was very interesting to see more of his character, his theme was good and his route had references to [S] Collide and Friendsim! I think seeing more into who he is, what he thinks, and how he interacts was interesting! Particularly I like that it's just casually mentioned that he owns and likes to wear dresses. Like, no one questioned him for it, it wasn't used as a joke with him as the punchline, or just another reason why he's creepy and weird, it was just a thing that makes him happy! That's SO rare in media, I don't think I've EVER seen someone who's male presenting who isn't given shit for liking feminine clothing. Ultimately he's one of the characters I feel really needed more depth as he was killed pretty early on and wasn't ever really revisited as a character, and I think his Pesterquest route gave him that.

Honestly, I'm kind of angry over Feferi's route. Once again it feels like she was pushed aside for plot development. And I don't know about you, but I didn't even understand any of that weird plot stuff. Her dialogue felt off, like a caricature of herself. And what's up with her weird crystal ball lusus tentacle?? With mysterious Karako in it??? That's... I just feel like that's so dumb and weird and unnecessary. Here we get a route where Eridan is explored further and is set on the path of developing, whereas Feferi turns into... a monk? There are so many other BETTER ways that she could have been shunted aside for plot development. It feels like any chance at her developing was pushed aside, and not even for a good reason.
It particularly angers me because Feferi is easily one of the least developed characters in Homestuck. She had little screen time, she was killed off early, and she didn't get anything past her death, aside from maybe a conversation or few with Jade. This was realistically her last chance at becoming a character with any semblance of depth. I seriously doubt she'll show up in Homestuck^2. It's not fair to her, and it really sucks for people like me who were hoping to finally get some development for her.
I think you are presuming what was going on with Feferi is disconnected from the operations of how paradox space works. She and the reader, in one instance, and in a trance preparing to become gods, while in the other instance this weird advisor talking through Karako gives Feferi the ok to do the rebellion thing and she prepares for that. Needs to plan it out.

Let us put it this way. What is the force we know about right now that allows an individual to 'move the movers' and manipulate the rivers of narrative and meta mentioned here? The ultimate self. And presumably that is why the Reader and Feferi are doing in that instance, slowly realizing their ultimate self rather than a sudden surge of memory that would likely instantly kill them. What that leads to, who knows. And hwo knows what plan they are playing into doing thus.

But yea the route focuses more on the Reader trying ot get feferi to do something than character development for Fef. Feferi, if she appears in a future route, could show more developemnt, and may in future homestuck stuff. But here it was business and planning. The reader finally having enough

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:08 pm

arachnidsGrip wrote:
I am also genuinely sad that Feferi’s route was Not About Her. She’s unfortunately in the same boat as Gamzee or Rose, whose routes in PQ go absolutely nowhere and have no real insight or revelations available for the characters we spent that time with. It breaks my heart that these characters are given an opportunity to bloom in an alternate continuity away from the restrictions in Homestuck canon, but that opportunity is skipped in favor of shallower glances at stuff we already know, or distractions in favor of bizarre and/or poorly-related Plot Shit.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:40 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:08 pm
arachnidsGrip wrote:
I am also genuinely sad that Feferi’s route was Not About Her. She’s unfortunately in the same boat as Gamzee or Rose, whose routes in PQ go absolutely nowhere and have no real insight or revelations available for the characters we spent that time with. It breaks my heart that these characters are given an opportunity to bloom in an alternate continuity away from the restrictions in Homestuck canon, but that opportunity is skipped in favor of shallower glances at stuff we already know, or distractions in favor of bizarre and/or poorly-related Plot Shit.
In what way is the plot shit poorly related? Bizarre, yes, but how is it poorly related? Least with this route the weirdness has to do with both Feferi and the Reader acting upon a shared goal. With Gamzee you just hung out with the guy, caused him to rampage in an alternate timeline that is thankfully erased. Here the weirdness is sourced from Feferi's connection to the horror terrors.

True we don't explore feferi more but feferi's deal probably can't be explored well on its own. She is tied to alternia improving, because she desires it, and both her strengths and her weaknesses are better explored with her attempting to do so. True its not fulfilled here but a rebellion is a monumental task.

Perhaps they could have mixed in a bit more development for feferi, but what would we have really gotten from just hanging out with her? Rehashing some of the same, more or less without exploring much else. Feferi's darker hints would be too subtle to really pick up on and probably wouldn't manifest until she has seized control. Its honestly good to see that she is being careful about this rather than charging in headfirst. Plans and strategy are a first.
Course if this Is the last we see of her that is another story, but it seems, unlikely. The Pesterquest is a story about knowing these characters a little better and getting some sweet sprite art of them that gives them individual canon looks outside of the more simplified style. But it is also the Reader's story, and he is very, very invested in Alternia's fate.

I guess these routes the mileage has varied. Some have liked the eridan route and disliked feferi, some the opposite. Others dislike both and others still were content with both. They seem a bit more contorversial than normal, but perhaps because these are the lsat of the trolls and we seem to be running out of time for story.

Drinosi
Classpect: Mage of Blood

Post by Drinosi » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:43 pm

arachnidsGrip wrote:

I agree that she wasn't developed very much and as she was killed off so soon, we never really got to know enough about her. I know all PQ's can't be just about hanging out, but I was really hoping to see some more development for her. She's one of the most important people on all of Alternia because one day the planet might be hers to rule.

Instead, it was one of the plot development routes. I was kind of afraid of that seeing as I knew she would be the last troll with a route before we got back to humans, but I still held out hope we would get to see more of the real Feferi.

I am pretty sure we will see her again as she told us to come back later, which I'm assuming will be in the final PQ route, but I fear it will be all about the plot and not about Feferi as an individual. While I do love plot progression, I feel that certain characters get gypped when their route is more about plot. Certain characters we get to get to know on a whole new level, while other characters serve as a medium to progress the plot.

Like, I loved Vriska's route because we got to really know Vriska, and several other routes were the same, but then there are the few that are purely for progressing the plot and I feel that we miss out by not getting to know them better. There are so many things that we have learned about these characters along the way throughout the routes, but when the route is mostly plot, their individuality seems to take a backseat.

There are plenty of things I did like about her route, like hearing more about her plans for Alternia, because that would change everything about troll society. That was interesting. We did get a glimpse into her true character, but I feel that her route would have been more satisfying had we gotten to learn more. Like, I have no problem with the plot we learned about, but maybe her route could have been longer so that it could include both Feferi's route about her, plus the plot progression.