We have hit 2000 peeps!!!

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!

NAKNAKNAK
Moon: Derse

Re: We have hit 2000 peeps!!!

Post by NAKNAKNAK » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:23 pm

How the goal is written still confuses me. Does it mean that if we keep that number up until the 1st we get double uploads for Jan and Feb or if we keep it up until Feb 1st We get double uploads in March?
:professor: NAK NAK THERE IS A BUG ON MY SCREEN AND I CAN'T REACH IT TO SWAT IT AWAY WITH TINY ARMS NAK NAK NAK!!!

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:51 pm

NAKNAKNAK wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:23 pm
How the goal is written still confuses me. Does it mean that if we keep that number up until the 1st we get double uploads for Jan and Feb or if we keep it up until Feb 1st We get double uploads in March?
IF we get 2000 we get a double update the following month. And if it remains at 2000 that essentially becomes the norm for Homestuck^2, 2 updates a month, so long as it stays at 2000.

Brandibee
Classpect: Mage of Breath

Post by Brandibee » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:52 pm

FINALLY! I was hoping that this one would push it over. Two updates will really make the difference in terms of fandom engagement. Mayhaps we'll see some more lasting excitement about new developments, rather than the once a month flash in the pan it's been.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:57 pm

Brandibee wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:52 pm
FINALLY! I was hoping that this one would push it over. Two updates will really make the difference in terms of fandom engagement. Mayhaps we'll see some more lasting excitement about new developments, rather than the once a month flash in the pan it's been.
Its up to us and the whatpumpkin team to keep it up so we can have that pace.

Brandibee

Post by Brandibee » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:18 pm

thorondraco wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:57 pm
Absolutely. I've been trying to post about it and revive my other long-dormant HS friends, but I think the turn off for them was mostly the wait. I think this'll sweeten the pot enough for them to take a second look. I don't have much by way of creative abilities to make fan content or anything of that caliber with, which is really the biggest proponent of hype, but I'll help to keep the ball rolling however I can!

pfeffer-29
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Heir of Mind

Post by pfeffer-29 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:28 pm

let's keep it that way. we are here for CONTENT and CONTENT we shall have
you can pry karezi out of my cold dead hands

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:39 pm

Brandibee wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:18 pm
thorondraco wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:57 pm
Absolutely. I've been trying to post about it and revive my other long-dormant HS friends, but I think the turn off for them was mostly the wait. I think this'll sweeten the pot enough for them to take a second look. I don't have much by way of creative abilities to make fan content or anything of that caliber with, which is really the biggest proponent of hype, but I'll help to keep the ball rolling however I can!
I wonder if they are gonna do another milestone thing later down the line. "If we get this many more we would be able to afford to apy peeps to do animations."

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:40 pm

we getting new update this month or what
:rosecool:

Brandibee

Post by Brandibee » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:09 pm

thorondraco wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:39 pm
I wonder if they are gonna do another milestone thing later down the line. "If we get this many more we would be able to afford to apy peeps to do animations."
Oh man I hope so. Maybe somewhere like 5k or more? That's just me spitballing though, I don't know jack diddle shit about the cost and time needed to make that sort of media. I'd imagine it's pretty damn involved though. Dunno if we'll reach that point anytime in the foreseeable future, but a girl can dream right?????
Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:40 pm
If you mean a double update, they won't start until February.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:15 pm

Brandibee wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:09 pm
thorondraco wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:39 pm
Oh man I hope so. Maybe somewhere like 5k or more? That's just me spitballing though, I don't know jack diddle shit about the cost and time needed to make that sort of media. I'd imagine it's pretty damn involved though. Dunno if we'll reach that point anytime in the foreseeable future, but a girl can dream right?????
Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:40 pm
If you mean a double update, they won't start until February.
I imagine they will more than likely use animations sparingly even when or if they get to that point.
I would point out that a homestuck animation wouldn't be as costly as a more professional one but it would still be consuming time. Though it depends on the ambition and if we could get something like Act7, just pure craziness.

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage
Moon: Prospit

Post by rookie1978 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:58 pm

That's 2000 more than zero. Good job guys!

lillithRamie
Pronouns: she/them

Post by lillithRamie » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:14 am

I think it would be awesome to get something like openbound, especially given the narrative shenanigans the could take place with that. I wonder if they would be able to reuse enough of openbound for it to not be too much work (outside of making and writing all the art assets and text). Who know, maybe if we can hit 3000 that could be a possibility?

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:21 am

lillithRamie wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:14 am
I think it would be awesome to get something like openbound, especially given the narrative shenanigans the could take place with that. I wonder if they would be able to reuse enough of openbound for it to not be too much work (outside of making and writing all the art assets and text). Who know, maybe if we can hit 3000 that could be a possibility?
Primary issue is that they would have to host the openbounds offsite or make them downloads, cause flash dying and such. Unless they figure out a solution that can let them be on site.

Oh god what if they turn to making visual novels O.o

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:25 am

there ARE alternatives to flash, in-browser software isn't a dying medium or anything.
mod on the mspa wiki

lillithRamie
Pronouns: she/them

Post by lillithRamie » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:28 am

thorondraco wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:21 am

Primary issue is that they would have to host the openbounds offsite or make them downloads, cause flash dying and such. Unless they figure out a solution that can let them be on site.

Oh god what if they turn to making visual novels O.o
Openbound was done in an html5 engine, the first ones of Homestuck I believe. So something like will still work after flash is long gone.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:07 am

JakeMorph wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:25 am
there ARE alternatives to flash, in-browser software isn't a dying medium or anything.
think they mentioned they haven't found a really good one to use. i don't remember which one but they said one alternative they thought of didn't do audio very well.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:30 pm

And the typical patron shedding occurred and we are back down to 1980. It mighty go down quite a bit more, who knows, but it will probably pop right back up long before the update this month like it did last month so we shouldn't be fretful of losing the double udpates anytime soon.

nagaasha

Post by nagaasha » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:24 pm

I kinda wish the milestone was based in part on the volume of contributions rather than strictly a "number of patrons" basis. I say this because a bunch of us bought the $5 as well as the $20 subscriptions, whereas we could have reached the same benchmark with purely $2 patrons and they still would have been willing to double their output.

nagaasha

Post by nagaasha » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:57 pm

Welp, January is just about done, and yet there has only been one update. I already said my piece earlier about how the bar to the double update reward was probably too high given the existence of $5 and $20 patrons (me being a $20 patron), but they still failed to live up to it. If there is a miraculous second update by midnight tonight I will happily retract this complaint, but I'm not holding my breath.

This is not my only complaint about the patreon of course. I have also been unable to access any of the bonus content as of the latest bonus update. There is a short snippet on the error message that says it might take 24 hours for new patrons to get access, but I assume that should only apply to the newest bonus update, rather than all 3. Furthermore, it shouldn't be a problem for someone like me who has been a patron for at least three months with no such issues.