Candy Kids Appreciation and Discussion thread

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
epimetheusEmrys
Pronouns: He/him
Classpect: Mage of Rage
Moon: Prospit

Candy Kids Appreciation and Discussion thread

Post by epimetheusEmrys » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:15 pm

Let’s talk about these little bundles of wonderfuck.
CA78487A-28AB-4AA8-A3BE-613D67F61B55.png
CA78487A-28AB-4AA8-A3BE-613D67F61B55.png (52.25 KiB) Viewed 15462 times
(Credit to Bluecrab on twitter for the art)

I like Vrissy and Tavros’ relationship a lot, and I’m also curious to learn more about Tavros and Vrissy and Harry a lot. They’re the best part of HS^2 for me so far and their designs are great and they’re a bunch of knuckleheads and asdfgffhjbjhjkmk

Anyways I made this thread so we could all discuss them and post theories about them and just kind of consolidate it all now and in the future.
:lemon:

VASKA
Pronouns: She/her, They/them
Moon: Derse

Re: Candy Kids Appreciation and Discussion thread

Post by VASKA » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:10 pm

vrissy will wreak more havoc than vriska just to prove a point. do i know what that point is? no.
Only cuties survive the near future

Brandibee
Classpect: Mage of Breath

Post by Brandibee » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:27 pm

I'm so excited for the kids. I'm happy to see old favorites of course, but giving them focus will breathe new life into HS2. It'll provide a necessary break from the constant comparison (deliberate or not) that comes with the territory of being a sequel/squared/whatever.

Also Harry seems like my type of character. :olliesouty:

irishTunes0701
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Knight of Life

Post by irishTunes0701 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:26 pm

I can see Vrissy becoming a fan favorite. I do like her more than Vriska. Tavros is cool I guess. Oh but Harry is great. Being the son of my favorite Alpha kid is already a giant + in my book. I can't wait to see where they go.
remember kids.
dead daves are the enemy. :cool:

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage

Post by rookie1978 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:29 pm

I'm really interested to see what happens to these obvious future protagonists of the story. I still don't know why Vriska and Tavros are just.. named after vriska or tavros, instead of having their own names in the first place. Did their parents not think of giving them a new name? At all? What's the point in naming Vriska Vriska if we're just immediately making it Vrissy or whatever the fuck after a parenthesis joke. Is Tavros going to meet the other Tavros and suddenly be called Tavvy for the sake of distinction?

I mean, Harry Anderson Egbert is named Harry Anderson Egbert. He has John's last name. His name isn't John. It isn't Roxy. John and Roxy didn't name Harry after one of their friends for no reason. Why is Harry named Harry but Vriska and Tavros are named Vriska and Tavros? I mean, maybe Vriska named Vriska is just some troll biology society shit I don't understand, but Tavros is a human. As far as I know, Jane was never really close to Tavros. It's just weird.

Cyber-Fan
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Sylph of Light

Post by Cyber-Fan » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:27 pm

rookie1978 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:29 pm
I'm really interested to see what happens to these obvious future protagonists of the story. I still don't know why Vriska and Tavros are just.. named after vriska or tavros, instead of having their own names in the first place. Did their parents not think of giving them a new name? At all? What's the point in naming Vriska Vriska if we're just immediately making it Vrissy or whatever the fuck after a parenthesis joke. Is Tavros going to meet the other Tavros and suddenly be called Tavvy for the sake of distinction?

I mean, Harry Anderson Egbert is named Harry Anderson Egbert. He has John's last name. His name isn't John. It isn't Roxy. John and Roxy didn't name Harry after one of their friends for no reason. Why is Harry named Harry but Vriska and Tavros are named Vriska and Tavros? I mean, maybe Vriska named Vriska is just some troll biology society shit I don't understand, but Tavros is a human. As far as I know, Jane was never really close to Tavros. It's just weird.
Jake was friends with gcatvros, which is why Tavros Crocker is named after him. I almost forgot about that as well, due to the fact that gcatvros isn't even mentioned in the epilogues. Vriska is named Vriska because they are genetically similar.

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:31 pm

to say that the kids are named after their parents' friends "for no reason" is kind of weird?? kids are named after people their parents knew all the time?? vriska is named that because she was a ""good"" friend of kanaya's who I guess they didn't think they were going to see again, and because she looks exactly like her. tavros is more of a stretch but he was obviously named that because the new tavros and vriska were supposed to have the same dynamic as the old tavros and vriska. rule of funny.
mod on the mspa wiki

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage

Post by rookie1978 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:32 pm

JakeMorph wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:31 pm
to say that the kids are named after their parents' friends "for no reason" is kind of weird?? kids are named after people their parents knew all the time?? vriska is named that because she was a ""good"" friend of kanaya's who I guess they didn't think they were going to see again, and because she looks exactly like her. tavros is more of a stretch but he was obviously named that because the new tavros and vriska were supposed to have the same dynamic as the old tavros and vriska. rule of funny.
more like rule of bad writing

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:33 pm

you've convinced me
mod on the mspa wiki

pfeffer-29
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Heir of Mind

Post by pfeffer-29 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:07 pm

JakeMorph wrote:
This kinda stuff happens in real life all the time, but it's simply easier for the audience to remember names if everyone in the story has a unique one. Hamilton got around three of its characters being Georges by never calling any of them George alone, and it certainly helped that they all had unique personalities. Tavros Jr.'s only distinctions from Tavros are that he's a human and he has a different history. The Tavroses have the same personality, and it would serve to make Tavros Jr. more of his own character, if only cosmetically, if he had his own name. And how is
JakeMorph wrote:
the new tavros and vriska were supposed to have the same dynamic as the old tavros and vriska
supposed to be rule of funny? Perhaps if Tavriss were the complete opposites of their namesakes and kept the dynamic, it'd be a joke, but they're nearly the same characters. It feels unrealistic that the characters named after Tavros and Vriska have their names and personalities and dynamic.

I like Vrissy and Tavros Jr. much more than Vriska and Tavros, but it would be nice if they were more distinct from their Alternian counterparts. Harry Anderson has epic hair and that's all there is to say on the matter.
you can pry karezi out of my cold dead hands

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:45 pm

pfeffer-29 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:07 pm
JakeMorph wrote:
This kinda stuff happens in real life all the time, but it's simply easier for the audience to remember names if everyone in the story has a unique one. Hamilton got around three of its characters being Georges by never calling any of them George alone, and it certainly helped that they all had unique personalities. Tavros Jr.'s only distinctions from Tavros are that he's a human and he has a different history. The Tavroses have the same personality, and it would serve to make Tavros Jr. more of his own character, if only cosmetically, if he had his own name. And how is
JakeMorph wrote:
the new tavros and vriska were supposed to have the same dynamic as the old tavros and vriska
supposed to be rule of funny? Perhaps if Tavriss were the complete opposites of their namesakes and kept the dynamic, it'd be a joke, but they're nearly the same characters. It feels unrealistic that the characters named after Tavros and Vriska have their names and personalities and dynamic.

I like Vrissy and Tavros Jr. much more than Vriska and Tavros, but it would be nice if they were more distinct from their Alternian counterparts. Harry Anderson has epic hair and that's all there is to say on the matter.
Human tavros already shows he has more will than his troll namesake. And i would say that Vrissy in fact reminds me more of Aranea than Vriska. She has Vriska's ambition and rebelliousness yet ARanea poise and sensibility, like a mixture of the two.

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:42 pm

I thought Tavros Jr. Was named as such by Gamzee because he loves and misses Tavros the first??? Or was part of this fucking black hole hell clown’s superficial redemption arc front where he pretended to have real emotions to trick people.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:42 pm

this edit works WAAAY too well.

paladinnertime

Post by paladinnertime » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:19 pm

Harry Anderson Egbert is named after Harry Dean Anderson because Dean reminds john of Dad egbert, hes as much named after someone as tav and vris are just not someone we ever met
So like do highbloods just love milk or what?

VASKA
Pronouns: She/her, They/them

Post by VASKA » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:46 am

I always thought the implication was John's dad *was* the OG Harry Anderson, and I'm pretty disappointed that's not a more common theory.
Only cuties survive the near future

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:58 am

i think the more common theory was that harry anderson was DAD's dad, which i found so solid / funny that i'm honestly surprised it wasn't part of the skaianet systems history.
mod on the mspa wiki

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:36 am

JakeMorph wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:58 am
i think the more common theory was that harry anderson was DAD's dad, which i found so solid / funny that i'm honestly surprised it wasn't part of the skaianet systems history.
God damn it that owuld have been hilarious/cool