HS^2: Chapter 2 is out

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
BrobyDDark

Re: HS^2: Chapter 2 is out

Post by BrobyDDark » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:46 pm

sigmatic wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:11 am
Have there been any prevailing classpect theories on the new epilogue characters (Harry, Tavros, Vrissy) yet?
In any case, it's good to see HS^2 picking up the pace a bit.
Tavros is either a Breath player or a Hope player. He has that undeserved, yet-to-be-broken confidence Hope players have, and is quiet and kind like Breath players are.

Vrissy is defo a Light player.

Harry Anderson could be Void or Breath.

egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath
Moon: Derse

Post by egg » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:23 pm

sigmatic wrote:
Have there been any prevailing classpect theories on the new epilogue characters (Harry, Tavros, Vrissy) yet?
My current thoughts are:
Harry Anderson: Thief of Heart
Vrissy: Light, but I'm unsure what class yet. My friend says she's Thief again, but I don't really buy it.
Tavros: Page of Void
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage
Moon: Prospit

Post by rookie1978 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:06 pm

not a meat-->candy-->meat transition like expected, but alright
so far the kids seem likable enough, vriska's back AGAIN which is :what:
vrissy just seems like proto-vriska with very little, if any differences, other than being younger;
harry and tavros are much unlike their predeccessors
always thought it was weird that they just straight up named their kids after their friends anyways, what's the point
clown is actually dead, which nullifies andrew hussie's clown statements about how there's not a single universe the clown dies in, but i guess he's no longer got plot armor/canon armor because we're beyond canon? or something equally as stupid and convoluted
anyways, the kid's hijinks were fun to read but i also couldn't help but get pretty bored
they're likabkle sure but why should i give a shit about whats happening? the story literally opens with the epilogues biggest and most intentional plot hook, just to blueball us by immediately turning over the very next update to jake and the earth which we were repeatedly told isn't canon and doesn't matter
obviously the timelines are either going to cross or get merged at some point,
otherwise they wouldn't spend all this time building up both universes,
but at the same time, since there's no hints at that happening;

i'm reading over disheveled alcoholic jake, irredeemable bitch jane crocker, dead gamzee, vriska AGAIN, and two kids and one small-vriska wondering why the fuck any of it matters and when we're going to go back to the meat timeline
it doesn't HAVE to be dirk but after we get slapped in the face with MEAT MATTERS CANDY DOESNT over and over again in the epilogues what else am i supposed to look forward to? the comic has literally just started and everything happening on earth C already feels like filler content
and of course from a writers standpoint/point of view OBVIOUSLY this is going to matter, timelines are going to merge in some way, the kids will appear in meat and become proto-protagonists, etc.
but this also goes against everything we were literally just told in the epilogues, for no reason, and seems like an entirely backwards approach to what the already controversial epilogues tried to accomplish :lime: :lime: :lime: :lime:

the beginning was the only original return to sprite form, don't get me wrong the artists are great but despite it technically being canonized fanfiction it all still feels like fanfiction tier writing/filler. i don't expect homestuck 2 to accomplish the original magic of the first comic or live up to the realistically grandiose expectations after what the original comic gave us, considering we're working with an entire team now and hussie's basically just standing on the side of the field as a blind referee to the whole thing, but it all feels very 'off' and makes me wonder why i'm even bothering to read it because my brain keeps telling me i don't care and it doesn't matter

anyways closing thoughts on all the updates so far: :cal: i'm going to keep reading but i won't like doing it :cal:

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:50 pm

I’m in a similar boat. I don’t want to put up with Vriska anymore, I can’t keep stomaching the shittiness of Gamzee both as a plot concept and as a character in his own right because he HAS no defined character anymore other than Obviously A Pit Of Pure Evil and we were stupid to ever think he was anything different.

These R-rated 80’s Comedy antics are really predictable, too. Also, why does the narration describe things we can SEE in the panels? This never happened before in homestuck and homestuck-flavored media. When the narrative explicitly says “Vriska holds Gamzee by using his horns as a yoke” it seems completely unnecessary because the picture is RIGHT THERE, DEMONSTRATING it.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

VASKA
Pronouns: She/her, They/them

Post by VASKA » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:57 pm

I'm one of the few who loves, loves, loves the direction the story is taking, but I'm noticing some real issues.

Namely, we haven't gotten any more walls of text. I know a lot of people loathe the idea, but that's actually why I think it's important to have them in the earliest updates. People need to get acclimated to this and other changes in the format of the story. As it stands, I'm worried that it'll be 6-7 updates before we get another chapter that's mostly or only words, and by then a good few people will have "forgot" for a lack of a better term that this was coming, causing a pretty big (although clearly temporary) uproar.

The content of the bonus updates also has me concerned. I don't think anything in them has anything that will be necessary to understand the main story, but if you have someone who really likes Jane or Jake, then it presents an issue- their stories seem to be handled in the bonus updates, implying we won't see them very much, if at all, in the main (free) Meat story. They also never really got an exit from the story, instead they were just left by the wayside.
Only cuties survive the near future

TH4NK YOU B3N
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Mage of Heart

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:39 pm

sigmatic wrote:
DAVE: man i love this kid
DAVE: what kind of five year old is into atomic clocks
I think Harry's a Mage of Time. I consider Tavros to be a Blood player since he knows too much about politics.
only bad takes here

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:42 am

rookie1978 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:06 pm
not a meat-->candy-->meat transition like expected, but alright
so far the kids seem likable enough, vriska's back AGAIN which is :what:
vrissy just seems like proto-vriska with very little, if any differences, other than being younger;
harry and tavros are much unlike their predeccessors
always thought it was weird that they just straight up named their kids after their friends anyways, what's the point
clown is actually dead, which nullifies andrew hussie's clown statements about how there's not a single universe the clown dies in, but i guess he's no longer got plot armor/canon armor because we're beyond canon? or something equally as stupid and convoluted
anyways, the kid's hijinks were fun to read but i also couldn't help but get pretty bored
they're likabkle sure but why should i give a shit about whats happening? the story literally opens with the epilogues biggest and most intentional plot hook, just to blueball us by immediately turning over the very next update to jake and the earth which we were repeatedly told isn't canon and doesn't matter
obviously the timelines are either going to cross or get merged at some point,
otherwise they wouldn't spend all this time building up both universes,
but at the same time, since there's no hints at that happening;

i'm reading over disheveled alcoholic jake, irredeemable bitch jane crocker, dead gamzee, vriska AGAIN, and two kids and one small-vriska wondering why the fuck any of it matters and when we're going to go back to the meat timeline
it doesn't HAVE to be dirk but after we get slapped in the face with MEAT MATTERS CANDY DOESNT over and over again in the epilogues what else am i supposed to look forward to? the comic has literally just started and everything happening on earth C already feels like filler content
and of course from a writers standpoint/point of view OBVIOUSLY this is going to matter, timelines are going to merge in some way, the kids will appear in meat and become proto-protagonists, etc.
but this also goes against everything we were literally just told in the epilogues, for no reason, and seems like an entirely backwards approach to what the already controversial epilogues tried to accomplish :lime: :lime: :lime: :lime:

the beginning was the only original return to sprite form, don't get me wrong the artists are great but despite it technically being canonized fanfiction it all still feels like fanfiction tier writing/filler. i don't expect homestuck 2 to accomplish the original magic of the first comic or live up to the realistically grandiose expectations after what the original comic gave us, considering we're working with an entire team now and hussie's basically just standing on the side of the field as a blind referee to the whole thing, but it all feels very 'off' and makes me wonder why i'm even bothering to read it because my brain keeps telling me i don't care and it doesn't matter

anyways closing thoughts on all the updates so far: :cal: i'm going to keep reading but i won't like doing it :cal:
Whomever is narrating this situation, and thus Authoring this part of the story, is likely planning on Vriska and these kids ot be major players at some point i wager.
Its likely to be Alt Calliope, unless dirk is replicating their writing style. i don't think its a coincidence this is happening with Vriska and after vriska arrives. and that she has a shard of the void in her eye.

eldomtom2
Pronouns: fuck off

Post by eldomtom2 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:55 pm

BrobyDDark wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:21 pm
Well, there's a huge civil war going on right now between Trolls and Humans
Huge civil wars are the best setting for wacky high school hijinks.

VASKA

Post by VASKA » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:54 pm

does anyone know when the commentary drops? first month subscribed (it may be out already, im at work lol)

calamityCons

Post by calamityCons » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:20 pm

eldomtom2 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:55 pm
BrobyDDark wrote:
You are absolutely right. The civil war will obviously have the most dramatic and engaging effect on the high school children clearly not being bothered in the least about the situation.

Brandibee
Classpect: Mage of Breath

Post by Brandibee » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:38 pm

VASKA wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:54 pm
does anyone know when the commentary drops? first month subscribed (it may be out already, im at work lol)
It's not set in stone how long after an update til commentary comes out, but thus far they've all come out just a few days after. A week maximum. Welcome to the sub club, bub!

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:12 pm

VASKA wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:54 pm
I htink they might appeared the next month or so? Hard to tell.

Also we are only like thirty away from 2000 right now.

eldomtom2
Pronouns: fuck off

Post by eldomtom2 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:25 am

calamityCons wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:20 pm
eldomtom2 wrote:
BrobyDDark wrote:
You are absolutely right. The civil war will obviously have the most dramatic and engaging effect on the high school children clearly not being bothered in the least about the situation.
Them not being bothered by it is bad writing.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:42 pm

eldomtom2 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:25 am
calamityCons wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:20 pm
eldomtom2 wrote:

Them not being bothered by it is bad writing.
Its not like schools stopped during WW2 or 1. Like goes on even in war.

aspiringWatcher
Pronouns: he/they
Classpect: Allegedly Scribe of Life

Post by aspiringWatcher » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:44 pm

JakeMorph wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:25 am
Blob55 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:18 am
I doubt it, since the gods have their powers nerfed since the session ended, which is why Dave needed the robot body. With him gone it probably doesn't mean anything because he wasn't important enough in Candy to stick around.
Dave needed the robot body to be able to ascend to his Ultimate Self. he needed it because of an upgrade, not a nerf.
I would argue that ultimate self isn't that much of an upgrade personality-wise in that it erases all events of distinction from what you are.
The world is vast and full and wonders, no matter what they tell you.

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:02 pm

lucky we're talking about god powers and not personality then
mod on the mspa wiki

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:48 pm

aspiringWatcher wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:44 pm
JakeMorph wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:25 am
Blob55 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:18 am
I doubt it, since the gods have their powers nerfed since the session ended, which is why Dave needed the robot body. With him gone it probably doesn't mean anything because he wasn't important enough in Candy to stick around.
Dave needed the robot body to be able to ascend to his Ultimate Self. he needed it because of an upgrade, not a nerf.
I would argue that ultimate self isn't that much of an upgrade personality-wise in that it erases all events of distinction from what you are.
Rose seems to still be herself more or less. She still wanted some keepsakes and its likely if Dirk hadn't fucked with Kanaya's head, Kanaya could have convinced her to stay. We are not entirely certain of Dirk's motivations just that he is obsessed with being the villain right now.

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage

Post by rookie1978 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:26 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:50 pm
These R-rated 80’s Comedy antics are really predictable, too. Also, why does the narration describe things we can SEE in the panels? This never happened before in homestuck and homestuck-flavored media. When the narrative explicitly says “Vriska holds Gamzee by using his horns as a yoke” it seems completely unnecessary because the picture is RIGHT THERE, DEMONSTRATING it.
it's things like this that make me the most antsy about the comic- pay attention to details and refine things, remove unneccessaries, add necessaries, etc. it's a basic and simple refinement/polishing process. especially with the rate of updates we're getting, they should have plenty of time. not that the update was bad entirely, i was still mildly amused, but if we're gonna make a second homestuck with an entire team instead of one person, i feel like little things like that shouldn't happen.

the goal of HS2 on top of building a fun narrative story branching off of the original HS, is to ALSO make a story WITHOUT the original comic's problems, since we have the chance to start from the 'beginning'. This also means not inventing any more problems, big or small. Instead of showing or telling, we're being given both, for no reason. This isn't a problem that ever occurred in the original comic (to my memory), meaning we're inventing new ones. :vigorous:

VASKA

Post by VASKA » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:19 pm

Is it really a "problem" ? It's just not what Homestuck did. I smiled when I saw the picture. I chuckled when I saw "like a yoke". I don't see anything wrong with redundancy for the sake of a joke.

calamityCons

Post by calamityCons » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:43 pm

... it was supposed to be a joke? Because I didn’t see the humor and it was not a joke that I registered AS a joke.