Confirmation on how long HS^2 will presumably be going.

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
sorbicCondition
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: mage of void
Moon: Derse

Confirmation on how long HS^2 will presumably be going.

Post by sorbicCondition » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:45 pm

On the most recent episode of the Perfectly Generic Podcast (Episode 68 titled "Are you happy?") Kate says this after being asked where they think they'll be in 5 years:
Kate Mitchell wrote:I think it's gonna be like, three to five years of... this part that matters to me. You know, this overarching arc. There is a story that has an endpoint that we are telling, right? And once we hit that endpoint, I am done. I do not want to do this for ten years.
They don't seem to think Homestuck as a thing will be distinctly over at that point, going on to discuss the potential for "passing the torch," but wherever HS^2 is going does have a distinct endpoint somewhere 5 years from now. Of course this estimate could be useless, Andrew famously said he'd like Homestuck to end in 2010. But having at least a hypothetical end we're building up to is comforting, for me at least.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, Kate Mitchell is a writer on HS^2, MSPA fan since 2008, and previous host of the Perfectly Generic Podcast, a podcast about Homestuck they started in August of last year. I'd recommend it, personally. Besides Hussie (outside of a brief cameo in episode 52), almost every part of the HS^2 team has been on it at one point or another. They're all good and smart folks.
:cool3d: homestuck 2 :cool3d:

Crpal
Pronouns: He/Him
Moon: Prospit

Re: Confirmation on how long HS^2 will presumably be going.

Post by Crpal » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:27 pm

Yeah, I heard about that too. However, three to five years is a fairly vague estimate for what it's worth. We also don't know if she taking into consideration the single update or double update per month amounts into consideration, plus there's the fact she said that there is a definitive endpoint for HS^2 she would be out after then.

At least this confirms that HS^2 wont just be a short series.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:48 pm

sorbicCondition wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:45 pm
On the most recent episode of the Perfectly Generic Podcast (Episode 68 titled "Are you happy?") Kate says this after being asked where they think they'll be in 5 years:
Kate Mitchell wrote:I think it's gonna be like, three to five years of... this part that matters to me. You know, this overarching arc. There is a story that has an endpoint that we are telling, right? And once we hit that endpoint, I am done. I do not want to do this for ten years.
They don't seem to think Homestuck as a thing will be distinctly over at that point, going on to discuss the potential for "passing the torch," but wherever HS^2 is going does have a distinct endpoint somewhere 5 years from now. Of course this estimate could be useless, Andrew famously said he'd like Homestuck to end in 2010. But having at least a hypothetical end we're building up to is comforting, for me at least.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, Kate Mitchell is a writer on HS^2, MSPA fan since 2008, and previous host of the Perfectly Generic Podcast, a podcast about Homestuck they started in August of last year. I'd recommend it, personally. Besides Hussie (outside of a brief cameo in episode 52), almost every part of the HS^2 team has been on it at one point or another. They're all good and smart folks.
At the very least its seems likely that if Homestuck^2 isn't done by then they would probably pass it on to someone else as they cycle out. Even if someone drops off early cause of other obligations the story can go on. An advantage that homestuck itself very much lacked.

Hard to tell how much content it will have by the end AT best we would gave like 5 years, which seems a more likely estimate, of 2 updates or so, which is 24 a year and in total 120 updates. Depends also on the length of each update, and then there is the bonus updates. Course as they seem to be doing a chapter by chapter type thing it could be a lot if they keep things focused. At worst we have 36 updates or 72 if it lasts only three years and i feel that might be a bit short for a homestuck story. Depends also on the length of the chapters themselves and if they get longer and longer depending on the moment.

However she calls it an arc and it is possible the first arc of Homestuck^2 is presumed to last 3 to 5 years, and she will be leaving by then.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Crpal wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:27 pm
Yeah, I heard about that too. However, three to five years is a fairly vague estimate for what it's worth. We also don't know if she taking into consideration the single update or double update per month amounts into consideration, plus there's the fact she said that there is a definitive endpoint for HS^2 she would be out after then.

At least this confirms that HS^2 wont just be a short series.
Shorter than homestuck but maybe just more thought out than homestuck. Homestuck manifested as freeform thought from a mildly insane person. This is more traditionally set up and. It will lack those charming nonsenses like fuckin around with cakes but it will happening at a better pace.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:09 pm

sorbicCondition wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:45 pm

I just looked up the interview and got to that point. I don't think Kate meant that Homestuck^2 is gonna be over at that point. "This part that matters to me." I think she meant that she would be passing the torch to someone else on the team . Just that this 'arc' or homestuck 2 should be over in 3 to 5 years.

She also says "Come in to write Vriska" and such afterwards.

I think this is just an indicator how long this arc will be. Oh lord O.o

Blob55

Post by Blob55 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:39 pm

Right, but will Sollux ever make it to HS^2?

aspiringWatcher
Pronouns: he/they
Classpect: Allegedly Scribe of Life
Moon: Prospit

Post by aspiringWatcher » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:26 pm

Blob55 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:39 pm
Right, but will Sollux ever make it to HS^2?
I don't think Sollux wants to be bothered with all this nonsense.
The world is vast and full and wonders, no matter what they tell you.

Blob55

Post by Blob55 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:59 pm

Which Vriska is Kate writing? Because if it's Vriska Maryam Lalonde, that wouldn't be too bad since she's technically not done anything wrong bar a few insults.

If it's (Vriska) on the other hand, Jesus, we are all doomed!

MorganMustDie
Pronouns: f

Post by MorganMustDie » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:22 am

Kate Mitchell wrote:I think it's gonna be like three years...
oh no
they're making prospitcest canon
Image Perfection.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:54 am

MorganMustDie wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:22 am
oh no
watch the podcast myself and i think Kate actually meant her tenure in homestuck^2 rather than the entire project. She does this arc and she passes it on to someone else.

MorganMustDie
Pronouns: f

Post by MorganMustDie » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:10 pm

thorondraco wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:54 am
MorganMustDie wrote:
oh no
watch the podcast myself and i think Kate actually meant her tenure in homestuck^2 rather than the entire project. She does this arc and she passes it on to someone else.
okay but what does this have to do with the joke I made that no one is appreciating
Image Perfection.

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:12 pm

MorganMustDie wrote:
oh no
:jadesob:
Last edited by Darth_Energon on Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

galileanTactician
Pronouns: Ur Mom Gay Lol
Classpect: Mooge o Spooce
Moon: Derse

Post by galileanTactician » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:47 am

Imma keep it real with you chief, without Flashes, Animations, Music, or anything that defined what made Homestuck so memorable in the first place, Homestuck^2 is not going to last very long.
My prediction is that they are going to stagnate for so long that they eventually lose any significant support and it gets quietly cancelled.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:55 pm

dude it has had nothing but fairly major support. and they didn't say it would never have it, just not until they can afford to pay peeps it. and find a solution for hosting it on the site and not relying on fickle youtube.

KNA

Post by KNA » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:40 pm

Three-to-five years of one update a month. Wowie. What a great use of Kate's and everybody else's time and energy. Clearly a worthy successor to the modern-day epic that was Homestuck the First.

furrylatula
Pronouns: he/him

Post by furrylatula » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:48 pm

KNA wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:40 pm
Three-to-five years of one update a month. Wowie. What a great use of Kate's and everybody else's time and energy. Clearly a worthy successor to the modern-day epic that was Homestuck the First.
assuming an average of 24 pages a month (low estimate, the first update was 32 pages), that is a minimum of 864 pages and a maximum of 1440 pages. roughly equivalent to two to four novels, in three to five years. that is a perfectly reasonable pace and, in fact, industry standard for comic books?
did trans vriska real

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:58 pm

furrylatula wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:48 pm
KNA wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:40 pm
assuming an average of 24 pages a month (low estimate, the first update was 32 pages), that is a minimum of 864 pages and a maximum of 1440 pages. roughly equivalent to two to four novels, in three to five years. that is a perfectly reasonable pace and, in fact, industry standard for comic books?
Great, another stupid thing they're borrowing from comics, in addition to inconsistent art and too many writers.

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:11 pm

homestuck^2 isn't perfect and I won't say it's likely to get as good as the original homestuck but you guys are getting seriously bent out of shape over some serious "if you don't like it don't read it" shit. if you want a comic that has flashes and updates multiple times a month and is written by just one person then like, find a new webcomic??
mod on the mspa wiki

Sahxyel

Post by Sahxyel » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:15 am

JakeMorph wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:11 pm
homestuck^2 isn't perfect and I won't say it's likely to get as good as the original homestuck but you guys are getting seriously bent out of shape over some serious "if you don't like it don't read it" shit.
That'd be a good comeback if the whole 'fans make the story' wasn't a thing, that basically empowers disgruntled fans to be mad about what's happening because there's some impetus there to make a pushback. It comes off dismissive to go 'Don't Like Don't Read' like this is FFN in 2005, and worse, even IF you try not engaging in it the obnoxious pro-fans still invade regular Homestuck fanspace which makes it impossible to ignore even if you wanted to.

I'd love if I could search the Homestuck tag and never see HS2 or the Epilogue material but that's impossible, and I'm mad. I'm mad as hell! I want to burn canon down! With the lemons! :lemon:
:professor: Honeybee Professor Says: Problem Sleuth is better than Homestuck!

It's a mathematical fact!

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:46 am

>just go read another webcomic

I don't wanna find a new Homestuck. I want the Homestuck I enjoyed reading back. Or at least the ability to say "Homestuck? Yeah, that webcomic was great" without having to tack on "except for Homestuck2. Except for tue Epilogues."

I don't want to hate Homestuck2, but so far it's not good, at least not in my opinion. It's not invalid to want it to be good, or to want it to be like the webcomic it is a sequel of.

If you want to have Homestuck in your name, BE Homestuck, not Apartmentglued, the Chinese knock-off.