Jane choices in the epilogue and Jane in general

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
JakeMorph

Re: Jane choices in the epilogue and Jane in general

Post by JakeMorph » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:16 am

BrobyDDark wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:05 am
Treat other fellow humans with respect, please, regardless of political affiliation. It's the least both parties could do to minimize separation in the world.
😳
mod on the mspa wiki

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:17 am

Joyfulldreams wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:08 am
I didn't want to start like a whole THING, though I guess that was a bit short-sighted of me.

1. Alt-right dogwhistles are literally always memes, and literally always hide behind being "just a joke", so your insistence on that point does not exactly fill me with confidence.
2. A 'fake' political discussion that is in many ways a direct analogue to the very, very real actual real-life political reality of many people, and I'm not saying we shouldn't discuss it, but it ought to be with the gravity that sort of thing requires.
3. The idea that it being "just homestuck" means you should somehow take discussion of the thing less seriously kinda feels like it falls flat to me, but that's just me.

Basically. Please just realize that when people say things like "actually it feels like Jane was being rational when she thought it made sense to control the means of reproduction for an entire race of people, nobody gave her a good ALTERNATIVE" as if reproductive control is not a thing that has happened to many races of real life people as an integral part of genocide and overall oppression. Or stuff like "it would be bad if an entire culture was just erased via being overrun by the population of this other race" as if that isn't the exact same thing the alt-right cite when they decry immigrants somehow wiping out the White Race via reproduction and population growth....it does not sound, from everyone's perspective, like we are only talking about the realm of fiction.

I just wanted to IDK put the stuff being talked about in this thread into perspective. It isn't just jokey jokey comic fake politics. In this discussion you are touching on real life stuff, that has happened and IS HAPPENING to real life people. If we're talking about how in-character any of this stuff is for Jane, as a fictional character from homestuck, that's a different thing. If we're talking about magic powers characters have and theorizing on the specific and societal repercussions of alien troll reproduction, that's a different thing. But when it comes to discussing the ideaological reasons behind the formation of even a fictional dictatorship and genocide, it is a weighty real-life topic that ought not be treated quite as flippantly.
Bringing up real world politics can quickly diverge into real-world political argumentation. It's enough to say, "This is something Hitler would have done- and did- in his position", since, on a forum like this, Hitler is far and away from modern real world politics at this point. He can only be seen as a monster- a real life monster who did a very serious and terrible thing.

I just think the discussion should be kept away from the real life. There are real human beings who could enter the discussion, who could be hurt or hurt the fandom by entering the discussion, and those who aren't willing to treat others as human beings just because of where they lie on the political spectrum, on both sides of it. I know your intention prolly wasn't to start something like that, however it's something that could DEFINITELY happen if real world politics are brought up.

You are right, though, that Jane shouldn't be seen as right for ANY reason. She's just terrible in the Epilpogues, and her justifications for what she's doing are bullshit. I fullt expect Homestuck2 to have her legit says something like "OK, FINE, I'M A RACIST, SO WHAT?" before attempting to nuke Karkat's rebellion or put the trolls in labor camps or some shit.

Deageon

Post by Deageon » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:21 pm

I mean yeah I really do take discussion about Homestuck lightly given that it's a funny trash fire most of the time. And I'm pretty sure we don't have any secret alt righty types given that they're usually the kind of people to start screaming and whining loudly about scary Jewish people while making absolute asses of themselves. Also, if one is still in the right wing of American politics at this point then mega cring!!!

xeno
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Knight of Light or Rage
Moon: Prospit

Post by xeno » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:23 pm

Okay wow, I would say this has devolved into a bit of a trash fire, but it's been pretty much that since people started defending Jane, and that was before this thread was even made.
"Love should be abolished..."
-Garlic, Book of Mario 64