11/23/19 upd8 thread

Discuss Pesterquest, Psycholonials, Homestuck^2, and other related works here!
RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time
Moon: Prospit

Re: 11/23/19 upd8 thread

Post by RoyalFiddle » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:50 pm

JakeMorph wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:48 pm
as far as the epilogues are concerned jane is being irrational and evil bro she's literally the only one acting like the overpopulation of the planet is a serious issue
And this is especially important to note because a lot of the people who are smarter than her and actually know more about Troll biology think she's being ridiculous. Shit, the only reason it got this bad is because Gamzee was doing his thing to make sure that Jane doubled down everytime, instead of letting her stop and realize that maybe she was in the wrong
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

dualfallen
Classpect: Witch of Rage
Moon: Derse

Post by dualfallen » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:55 pm

RoyalFiddle wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:46 pm
...bro, don't disregard canon to try and prove your xenophobic point. They have the ability to make planets, end of story. As for it not showing up in the Epilogues, I would like to point out that Candy has several time skips, ranging from weeks to months to even years. The fact of the matter is that there was no real problem there, it was Jane's insanity that started things off, and she only got more insane from there. But, regardless of that, shouldn't all of this go in a thread dedicated to the epilogue, instead of, you know, in a thread dedicated to an update that just came out?
It's not xenophobic though!!! It's just the facts! I've made my case about the planets a dozen times and I don't know how else to say it. No one tried to make a good argument to Jane, they just denounced her as being xenophobic and declared war on her. No one was willing to give an alternative to the real threat that human and troll balance would be entirely skewed and the epilogues were what threw out the easy solution of making more planets but since that was never mentioned it, like the sprites, seem to be completely forgotten about and so Jane had to make do with the only solution that was available to ensure the closet thing to fairness possible given the circumstances: population control.

Also let the record show I didn't start this argument in this thread, this was already a back and forth debate and was heavily against Jane and I just wanted to say her actions have justification.
JakeMorph wrote:
dualfallen wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:41 pm
Yes that's wonderful. So why wasn't that a plot point in the epilogues then? Why couldn't they have just said "Jane, I recognize your concerns but maybe we could find other planets to offload some of the population onto" but no, that was not a plot point whatsoever. As far as the epilogues are concerned, there is only one usable planet and that's Earth C. In fact, Dirk and pals have to travel for three years to find the next planet they could go to.

as far as the epilogues are concerned jane is being irrational and evil bro she's literally the only one acting like the overpopulation of the planet is a serious issue. even the "nobody in-text is talking about it!!" argument doesn't support you
She's not being irrational and evil, she's the only one who's thinking for a goddamn second about the consequences of just mixing two entirely different species are and is trying to find the best solution. Everyone else is just too nice that they plug their ears and won't notice a thing even after trolls outnumber humans 100:1

furrylatula
Pronouns: he/him

Post by furrylatula » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:00 pm

dualfallen wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:55 pm
It's not xenophobic though!!! It's just the facts! I've made my case about the planets a dozen times and I don't know how else to say it. No one tried to make a good argument to Jane, they just denounced her as being xenophobic and declared war on her. No one was willing to give an alternative to the real threat that human and troll balance would be entirely skewed and the epilogues were what threw out the easy solution of making more planets but since that was never mentioned it, like the sprites, seem to be completely forgotten about and so Jane had to make do with the only solution that was available to ensure the closet thing to fairness possible given the circumstances: population control.

She's not being irrational and evil, she's the only one who's thinking for a goddamn second about the consequences of just mixing two entirely different species are and is trying to find the best solution. Everyone else is just too nice that they plug their ears and won't notice a thing even after trolls outnumber humans 100:1
ok but.......why is that a threat? why is there anything wrong with a certain species peacefully outnumbering another species?
did trans vriska real

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:02 pm

dualfallen wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:55 pm

oh! so your argument is just based on something one character is saying that you think sounds right. why didnt you just say so
Last edited by JakeMorph on Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mod on the mspa wiki

Wing
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Sylph of Life

Post by Wing » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:03 pm

Y'all I think this is an interesting discussion but to make it not clog up this thread how about we go here?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=312
Rorb Lalorb :rorb: :rorb: :rorb:

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:05 pm

RoyalFiddle wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:50 pm
JakeMorph wrote:
as far as the epilogues are concerned jane is being irrational and evil bro she's literally the only one acting like the overpopulation of the planet is a serious issue
And this is especially important to note because a lot of the people who are smarter than her and actually know more about Troll biology think she's being ridiculous. Shit, the only reason it got this bad is because Gamzee was doing his thing to make sure that Jane doubled down everytime, instead of letting her stop and realize that maybe she was in the wrong
This is probably treu. Gamzee is a bard and is a gamzee who had been corrupted by Lord english and thus is a monster. So he made sure it all got as bad as it could.

In Meat we have Jane stopping and trying to figure out if she was being offensive to Kanaya simply thinking vampire. And even pondered if there was a way to negotiate this situation. Like make Karkat a vice president or something.

However, her line of thoughts were being conducted by Dirk. And Dirk seems to want there to be conflict on Earth C. Enough to delay everyone at least. IF anything, Jane was probably a victim of Dirk to begin with. Did what he does to Jake and Kanaya before the story started.

Also there is the fact that Dirk has uprooted everyone and thus no one has tolerance for Jane's bullshit right now.

RoyalFiddle

Post by RoyalFiddle » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:07 pm

First of all, just because the solution wasn't present to our view of the Candy timeline, something that we have large spaces of time in which we just don't know what happened, doesn't mean the solution isn't there. We genuinely have no way of knowing, so acting that the option simply doesn't exist is wrong. Secondly, even if there was no solution, why is it a threat for Troll to outnumber humans, but not a threat for humans to outnumber Trolls, something that's implied to be the case on Candy!Earth C. Thirdly, she really isn't thinking of anything at all. She picked the first "solution" she thought of, didn't care about the blatantly Xenophobic overtones in what she was saying, and never tried to find a better solution. Population control is wrong, plain and simple. It takes away a persons agency, and allows the government to pick and choose which citizens are 'good' enough to repopulate. It's treating an entire species like they are invasive, when in reality they likely aren't? Especially because, with the mother grub, we don't know enough to say that it produces thousands of trolls a batch every time, every day, without any variation. All we know is how it responds to a society in which breeding is enforced. When breeding isn't enforced, there will be less slurry, and less slurry may very well mean less trolls. I'm done here, please, just take it to the thread Wing posted.
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND

ThePungeonMaster
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by ThePungeonMaster » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:29 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:27 pm
thorondraco wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:23 pm
I am suddenly imagining a giant airship made of cardboard piloted by a very ambitious Burgundy girl kinda wrecking a city black with pschokinentically projected basket balls as her purple blood opponent hits them back with a torn out stop sign. Then whomever counts as their guardian tells them to come in for Dinner and they both head off after parking the airship and put the sign back in its place.
Where the hell is that fanventure, I want in on that, holy shit, that sounds like so much more fun than Dirk's Eternal Pity Party, please tell me where I can purchase this alternative spinoff of Homestuck in print form.
I wish the writers focused more on Earth C society, because the idea of trolls, humans, capracians, and consorts living together has so much comedic potential. Even just a sitcom like Seinfeld could be spiced up with half the characters being aliens. I mean, shit, I'd just read an Earth C romance story using the quadrants. You could do a Romeo and Juliet esq story, where a troll and a human from two different families attempt to kindle a matespiritship despite their families differences.

Addendum: Oh yeah the update was good. I have no complaints about the length, but it'd be better if it was more spaced over a month than just doing it all at once. I actually really like how they're already doing some stuff in candy, and how they're not just treating Dirk as the villain under all circumstances.
Last edited by ThePungeonMaster on Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
June X Vriska is the best ship.

RoyalFiddle

Post by RoyalFiddle » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:31 pm

capracians and consorts must have the most ridiculous societies
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:44 pm

ThePungeonMaster wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:29 pm
calamityCons wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:27 pm
thorondraco wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:23 pm
I am suddenly imagining a giant airship made of cardboard piloted by a very ambitious Burgundy girl kinda wrecking a city black with pschokinentically projected basket balls as her purple blood opponent hits them back with a torn out stop sign. Then whomever counts as their guardian tells them to come in for Dinner and they both head off after parking the airship and put the sign back in its place.
Where the hell is that fanventure, I want in on that, holy shit, that sounds like so much more fun than Dirk's Eternal Pity Party, please tell me where I can purchase this alternative spinoff of Homestuck in print form.
I wish the writers focused more on Earth C society, because the idea of trolls, humans, capracians, and consorts living together has so much comedic potential. Even just a sitcom like Seinfeld could be spiced up with half the characters being aliens. I mean, shit, I'd just read an Earth C romance story using the quadrants. You could do a Romeo and Juliet esq story, where a troll and a human from two different families attempt to kindle a matespiritship despite their families differences.
Especially with the trolls. Wonder how black romance would function on earth c.. I am for some reason thinking it is infamously kinky. Two rivals trying to dominate each other and in bed it gets rather perverted. Like two doms dueling it out to see who is the bottom bitch tonight.

rubs juice
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Page of Mind

Post by rubs juice » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:58 pm

RoyalFiddle wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:31 pm
capracians and consorts must have the most ridiculous societies
We have theories

I liked this update, even though I don't care for the characters at all. I just think the candy timeline is neat. I just hope it doesn't spiral into dirkjake fest because i legitimally dislike the ship a lot. The art and writing were great imo, even if it was a bit too short for my liking.
Mafa || Page of Mind
Carapacian Rights Advocate || Writer of worldbuilding headcanons
[[visit my AO3 here]]
Check out my fanventure! Click on the banner <3

PilotBlackSmith
Location: Rio de Janeiro (Hell) - Brazil (Hell 2: Super Hell)
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Heir of Void

Post by PilotBlackSmith » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:59 pm

people are complaining about how few pages there are but I'll go on in a devil's advocate and say maybe drawing is hard, I dunno, I can't draw. :cool:
HOPEFULLY with the more money being put into it we'll get more pages per update but my biggest gripe so far is that they didn't end the update on something interesting.
In my opinion, I think that if they're going with this monthly update schedule, they should go for AT LEAST 31 pages(1 page per day) and end on something interesting to keep our minds busy until the next. this update ended on the most whatever screen I have ever seen and doesnt make me curious to see what else is going to happen afterwards at all.

does the HS^2 team deserve this hate?
no.
Spoiler
Show
actually yes but for other reasons
can they improve this model?
yes. and they should.

anyways who fucking cares about earth C I wanted to see the new planet or Alt!Calliope and the gang on a spaceship or something. We still don't have a canon alt!callie render now that I think about it.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:03 am

isn't calliope just in the form of a jade with black eyes right now? i think she's one of the least mysterious characters in terms of appearance atm.
mod on the mspa wiki

MorganMustDie
Pronouns: f

Post by MorganMustDie » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:49 am

Uh

@y'all talking about troll population and "why can't they offload them onto another planet??"

That is literally something they do. In canon.
The Cherubim mating scene takes place in Universe C. In it, we see a non-Earth planet populated with trolls.

Just a point to make and something to consider okay thank you for reading
Image Perfection.

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:52 am

yeah it did occur to me in the middle of this whole discussion that the whole purpose of the 'trolls and humans can't agree to live in the same space' plotline is probably partially to just explain the years-old canon fantrolls mystery. i don't know if this was a common talking point when the epilogues dropped but i feel silly for just now thinking of it.

I hope they don't just boot trolls off of earth wholesale though that wouldnt be very nice
mod on the mspa wiki

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:00 am

MorganMustDie wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:49 am
Uh

@y'all talking about troll population and "why can't they offload them onto another planet??"

That is literally something they do. In canon.
The Cherubim mating scene takes place in Universe C. In it, we see a non-Earth planet populated with trolls.

Just a point to make and something to consider okay thank you for reading
Its also possible torlls and humans exist already in Universe C.

MorganMustDie
Pronouns: f

Post by MorganMustDie » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:09 am

thorondraco wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:00 am
No?
Image Perfection.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:13 am

MorganMustDie wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:09 am
thorondraco wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:00 am
No?
A common theme in Homestuck is replicated events and jokes. Hell even the Black Hole is a replication from Problem sleuth. Just on an even grander scale. Its very plausible entire species are replicated too. Some to play sburb, others simply to keep the species existing for the next time.

Hell far as we know the Troll world that gets nuked by the male cherub was in its sburb phase but the Cherub played the part of an extinction event.

bathtimebird
Classpect: Prince of Time

Post by bathtimebird » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:15 am

this update was pretty boring ngl

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:24 am

thorondraco wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:13 am
Hell far as we know the Troll world that gets nuked by the male cherub was in its sburb phase but the Cherub played the part of an extinction event.
and as far as we know john was born with three legs, the third one just happened to be obscured by his right leg in every panel he's in.
in what's given to us by the epilogues and homestuck 2, it seems much more likely the trolls in uc are the ones that were brought there.

now for something actually about the update that's been on my mind: they're just showing us what the characters look like now? this didn't register as a big deal to me in the first update since dirk's story was obviously going to be expanded upon at some point and i didn't rank it high on my list of likelihoods that we'd ever go back and look at the other residents of new earth, but now that they're just going Hey This Is What Jake Looked Like In The Epilogues it feels like they're collapsing some of what the epilogues were, in a way. don't get me wrong, i love the art, i've got no problem with h2 being illustrated. it's more that h2 is now obviously just "the sequel to the epilogues", and in that respect the epilogues are now just... a couple dozen pages of homestuck that have no panels, for no discernible reason. it would make more sense to stick with either "prose/comic hybrid" like homestuck was or the "we're leaving the characters up to your imaginations now" aspect of the epilogues imo.
mod on the mspa wiki