PESTERCHUM 3.41: The ride never stops edition

Got an fandom-related project, site, or theme? Want to start one? Looking for fan meetups in your area? Post in here.
TheBookwormBakery
Pronouns: she/her

Re: PESTERCHUM 3.41: The ride never stops edition

Post by TheBookwormBakery » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:54 pm

Is there any way to increase Pesterchum's size without decreasing screen resolution? It's absurdly tiny and basically impossible to read at my laptop's recommended screen resolution, and there's no way I can see to change that within the pesterchum settings.

unseenSeamstress
Pronouns: She/Her and He/Him
Classpect: Maid of Blood
Moon: Derse

Post by unseenSeamstress » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:34 pm

I've been struggling for a while trying to find a fix for the Pesterchum windows program not even opening. I had a few good sessions but after a while it just wouldn't open anymore. I couldn't really get the debug to work when I tried it. Sorry if this isn't the right spot to post this, but I'm new to the forums.

IAmLeftie
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Heir of Hope
Moon: Prospit

Post by IAmLeftie » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:17 pm

Are the servers down or something? I've tried many things, including reinstall Pesterchum, but it keeps returning a "[Errno 11001] getaddrinfo failed" message.
I also used debug; it doesn't look like it'll help much at all, but here it is regardless.
https://hastebin.com/vupexacowe.makefile

Thanks in advance!

arcaneAgilmente
Classpect: Prince of Mind

Post by arcaneAgilmente » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:23 pm

IAmLeftie wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:17 pm
Are the servers down or something? I've tried many things, including reinstall Pesterchum, but it keeps returning a "[Errno 11001] getaddrinfo failed" message.
I also used debug; it doesn't look like it'll help much at all, but here it is regardless.
https://hastebin.com/vupexacowe.makefile

Thanks in advance!
The server is currently experiencing DNS issues. No ETA on when they will be fixed.
unseenSeamstress wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:34 pm
I've been struggling for a while trying to find a fix for the Pesterchum windows program not even opening. I had a few good sessions but after a while it just wouldn't open anymore. I couldn't really get the debug to work when I tried it. Sorry if this isn't the right spot to post this, but I'm new to the forums.
This is the right spot to post this!
If the debug executable didn't properly open, it has still done it's job.
Check your pesterchum install location (generally program files) and there should be a file somewhere named debug.txt. throw the contents of that onto pastebin.
TheBookwormBakery wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:54 pm
Is there any way to increase Pesterchum's size without decreasing screen resolution? It's absurdly tiny and basically impossible to read at my laptop's recommended screen resolution, and there's no way I can see to change that within the pesterchum settings.
Short answer: no.
Longer answer: no. this was done to allow for more flexible and easier theme creation. you can change the programs theme under the options menu or build a larger-windowed theme yourself.

lavendersiren
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Mage of Light

Post by lavendersiren » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:24 pm

I wanna say maybe enamel theme might be larger, but that might just be the menu or something. But yeah, I'd suggest digging into the files for the themes and editing their font sizes and stuff.
Do note that a lot of themes actually inherit attributes from certain other themes so you may have to cross-reference those base themes to find what you're looking to change.
Image Image

TheBookwormBakery
Pronouns: she/her

Post by TheBookwormBakery » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:39 am

I've tried changing the theme, I checked every one available and it's all so small I can barely even navigate the settings.

Pic as an example here:
Spoiler
Show
It looks like this on both screens I have, even though one has a higher resolution setting than the other. Messing with the resolutions did some things that managed to make it readable until I closed it completely, but I have no idea what specifically was doing what.

I haven't tried digging into the files yet, honestly kind of just gave up on it. I'll try that if I decide I really really want to keep trying to use Pesterchum though.

unwrittenArtist
Classpect: Rogue of Time

Post by unwrittenArtist » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:40 pm

okay, so, i have no idea if this is me or not, but i just got a pop-up message (and of course closed it) that said something along the lines of "this handle is already registered, you may not use it. your handle has been changed to "YOU ARE BEING HACKED" but it seems that nothing happened? is this a thing???

griska
Pronouns: They/Them

Post by griska » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:06 am

I had the same thing happen. I think it's a joke.

SixMinusSix

Post by SixMinusSix » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:41 am

griska wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:06 am
I had the same thing happen. I think it's a joke.
It's a couple weeks early for April Fool's and if it is a joke it's not funny.
unwrittenArtist wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:40 pm
okay, so, i have no idea if this is me or not, but i just got a pop-up message (and of course closed it) that said something along the lines of "this handle is already registered, you may not use it. your handle has been changed to "YOU ARE BEING HACKED" but it seems that nothing happened? is this a thing???
When I got that message I had a panic attack. I closed Pesterchum immediately, disconnected from the internet and turned off my machine completely. I just about broke my computer in my haste to turn it off. It's still off and unplugged. I switched to a different machine and even a different internet connection. I'm still too terrified to open Pesterchum again to find out what's even going on with it. I sent an issue on the github since apparently illuminatedWax is actually still checking it but for some reason github set it to private view only.

lavendersiren

Post by lavendersiren » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:55 am

Just logged on pesterchum for a moment and didn't get the "hacked" message. I'm guessing it probably got taken care of? hopefully?
Maybe it was a cruel joke designed for friday the 13th, idk.
Image Image

unwrittenArtist
Classpect: Rogue of Time

Post by unwrittenArtist » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:11 pm

It just happened again, only this time it said my handle was being changed to "Its corona time"

Hydrothermal
Pronouns: any

Post by Hydrothermal » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:26 pm

the fake messages are being sent by someone exploiting an oversight in the source code that lets you trigger a "handle being changed" alert for anyone with an arbitrary message included. there's no actual hack and your handle is not being changed, it's just a prank message.
some people call me storm

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:21 pm

Nice.

Harms nobody and is at most just obnoxious? That's a real prank. Hope it gets patched up or something soon

Xx_Quillz_xX
Pronouns: They/Them
Classpect: Witch of Heart

Post by Xx_Quillz_xX » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:20 pm

hey, so when will random encounter be back on?

Hydrothermal

Post by Hydrothermal » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:39 pm

Xx_Quillz_xX wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:20 pm
hey, so when will random encounter be back on?
idk why it stopped but it's back up now. if it goes down again and doesn't seem like it's coming back you can dm me on discord at Hydrothermal#1234 or use !!message in the #Adminbot memo to let me know.

thearcticblast
Pronouns: she/they
Classpect: Rogue of Light

Pesterchum will not open!

Post by thearcticblast » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:21 pm

There's the debug log, Thanks in advance. :pleasant:
he just kept yo-ing...

lavendersiren

Post by lavendersiren » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:27 pm

Hm... looks like it's having trouble loading your profile. Have you checked to see if your profile is in there? Try opening it in Notepad++ or something.
Image Image

3c1p23
Pronouns: Any
Classpect: Sylph of Mind

Post by 3c1p23 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:04 pm

So, I'm on the chumdriod app and when I go to edit my typing quirk, I'm met with a black screen. Is there something I'm missing?

Cr0ssCutter
Pronouns: He, They
Classpect: Heir of Heart

Post by Cr0ssCutter » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:01 pm

Heya, sorry if this has already been answered, but I'm only now rediscovering pesterchum after a bunch of years and I'm having a lot of fun. I'd love for my partner to be able to be part of it but he's only on mobile, and i remember hearing about a mobile pesterchum that was outdated. Is there anything I could know about that? Is it still a thing, are you people involved with it in any way?

Basically can it happen/is it already here :cal:

Hydrothermal

Post by Hydrothermal » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:50 pm

Cr0ssCutter wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:01 pm
Heya, sorry if this has already been answered, but I'm only now rediscovering pesterchum after a bunch of years and I'm having a lot of fun. I'd love for my partner to be able to be part of it but he's only on mobile, and i remember hearing about a mobile pesterchum that was outdated. Is there anything I could know about that? Is it still a thing, are you people involved with it in any way?

Basically can it happen/is it already here :cal:
you can get the chumdroid APK here which is old and shoddy but works, or you can use PCO which is newer and shoddier but also works