Homestuck Music Wiki

Got an fandom-related project, site, or theme? Want to start one? Looking for fan meetups in your area? Post in here.
florrie
Pronouns: she/they!
Moon: Prospit

Re: Homestuck Music Wiki

Post by florrie » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:50 pm

recompose, refine
hi all! sorry for the radio silence since last upd8; julys been really busy for me so i havent really had the energy to put into keeping folx in the know. nothing personnel, promise -- and thank you for the feedback and kind words all the meanwhile <3
but that hasnt stopped me from working on the site, so: ive got a pretty big update today! :rorb: :apple:
  • two new albums have been archived, both from Casual Sunday (a group of the artists behind countless homestuck tracks)!! check em out: Shortcuts, P[S]
  • duration details have been added to every track, and rough total sums to album and artist pages too
  • there are some simple keybindings for browsing track/album/flash pages now! (Shift+N), (Shift+P), and (Shift+R), for "next", "previous", and "random" respectively :rosecool:
  • there are a bunch of new listings based around duration data, plus two just-for-fun listings of all the tracks featured in homestuck
  • per foreverFlummoxeds suggestion (thank you!! :D) ive redesigned the Unreleased Tracks album!!! it should be a lot more browseable now :3
  • in large part thanks to help sent from an emailer, ive updated the youtube links of pretty much every album and track so that they bring you to playlists including as many official uploads as i know! please feel free to send more links, its very likely weve missed a bunch :)
and on top of that, there are countless data changes and other miscellaneous tweaks! oh, but thats just the thing: now that we have a changelog, they ARENT countless :cal: if youre curious, the (98%) complete changelog for this upd8 is available right there -- have fun exploring!

:professor:

thanks for continuing to use the site and leave feedback!! working on hsmusic has always been a really incremental process, and there is absolutely no way it wouldve reached the breadth and depth it has if not for everyones input and ideas. its come a long way, and the only direction that continues to remain is forward <3
trans enby dog - she/they!

foreverFlummoxed
Pronouns: Call me w/e, idgaf
Classpect: Rogue of Light

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:49 pm

florrie wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:50 pm
recompose, refine

[snip]
  • per foreverFlummoxeds suggestion (thank you!! :D) ive redesigned the Unreleased Tracks album!!! it should be a lot more browseable now :3
[snip]

thanks for continuing to use the site and leave feedback!! working on hsmusic has always been a really incremental process, and there is absolutely no way it wouldve reached the breadth and depth it has if not for everyones input and ideas. its come a long way, and the only direction that continues to remain is forward <3
my opinion on the new hsmusic UPD8
Show
Not sure I can attest to fully being the reason of the unreleased section overhaul, but it does look very pretty now (although Nic cage romance appears in [S] past Karkat wake up and the PS Theme is technically featured in Homestuck, if you start from page 31 and select Problem Sleuth, but it's a very "look in a certain way" version of featured in HS)

The only other things I can think of are things I stated before (re-stated here):
foreverFlummoxed wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:07 am
The only name I could find for the Onett theme referenced in secret ROM (and subsequently XROM) is just "Onett Theme" and Descend references Fear of the Heavens at the end (paired with Penumbra Phantasm) due to the sound effect (the same that is also heard in [S] John: Enter village)

[S] Ride (Pony2) is missing it's "cover art."

This wiki is so good and inclusive of so much info, I don't know if I can handle it. The quality is just to overwhelming.
and a minor appearance of "Fear of the Heavens" used on page 3952 and 7086 (again the same sound effect which is used for Typheus' voice)
FF: Personally, I think my skills are near-mediocre at best. that's really all there is to say on the matter.

FF: I couldn't figure out how to get it in the profile field so here's my YouTube channel

florrie

Post by florrie » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:33 pm

foreverFlummoxed wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:49 pm
my opinion on the new hsmusic UPD8
Show
<3
Not sure I can attest to fully being the reason of the unreleased section overhaul, but it does look very pretty now (although Nic cage romance appears in [S] past Karkat wake up and the PS Theme is technically featured in Homestuck, if you start from page 31 and select Problem Sleuth, but it's a very "look in a certain way" version of featured in HS)
and a minor appearance of "Fear of the Heavens" used on page 3952 and 7086 (again the same sound effect which is used for Typheus' voice)
you prompted the idea and inspired the organization, so! :rorb:

and ooh all those appearances are sneaky - ill gettem in right away. thanks!
The only name I could find for the Onett theme referenced in secret ROM (and subsequently XROM) is just "Onett Theme"
just to be sure, are you talking about this track? right now im using the reference data from homestuck.net/NSND for that track -- so, The Little Sprite / Terra's Theme / Wind Scene / Chrono Trigger. im having trouble picking out with my ears where the onett theme plays, so if that is the right track, where should i insert it in the list?

foreverFlummoxed

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:15 pm

florrie wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:33 pm
just to be sure, are you talking about this track? right now im using the reference data from homestuck.net/NSND for that track -- so, The Little Sprite / Terra's Theme / Wind Scene / Chrono Trigger. im having trouble picking out with my ears where the onett theme plays, so if that is the right track, where should i insert it in the list?
The Onett theme comes in along with the "Wow" sound effects (also from Earthbound) but I get the hard to hear because instead of the theme being played by a plucked string instrumentation, it is played by a drawing and bowing across strings instrumentation. TL;DR the second one to come in or maybe actually the Third, I can't recognize Terra's theme because I have barely played the first 6 Final Fantasies and never anything beyond those.
FF: Personally, I think my skills are near-mediocre at best. that's really all there is to say on the matter.

FF: I couldn't figure out how to get it in the profile field so here's my YouTube channel

florrie

Post by florrie » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:34 pm

foreverFlummoxed wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:15 pm
The Onett theme comes in along with the "Wow" sound effects (also from Earthbound) but I get the hard to hear because instead of the theme being played by a plucked string instrumentation, it is played by a drawing and bowing across strings instrumentation. TL;DR the second one to come in or maybe actually the Third, I can't recognize Terra's theme because I have barely played the first 6 Final Fantasies and never anything beyond those.
awesome, thanks! ive pushed an update with all the changes now (and a new section in the changelog). should be live in a few minutes! :candycorn:

DokterKaj

Post by DokterKaj » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:17 am

Hey, I finally decided to get one of these!

Small fixes: Actually, thinking about it, a lot of them Pesterquest themes are missing their art:

pherociousDuodecim

Post by pherociousDuodecim » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:17 am

This is exactly the sort of amalgamation of music sources I have always wanted for Homestuck, I'm going to have a great time looking over the site later. There have been a lot of great resources over the years but this seems like it covers most of the important features.

I created this old Google Doc I've been maintaining ever since A6I5 (if not A6I4), if you've yet to see it. The main focus of it was to COUNT the number of times a track appeared in Homestuck, back in the days when Elevatorstuck was being used non stop and I created the doc as an elaborate joke. Obviously that's implicit in your data but I wondered if it you wanted to add a category of most featured to your listings, similar to your most referenced list, as your presentation is far better than mine. I hope that it can be useful though.

One glaring problem with the wiki is the lack of entries for Homosuck Anthem, the undisputed king of featured tracks. Elevatorstuck is also missing the other two big walkarounds it is in. Haven't checked anything else.

OK, I've already spent too much time perusing. Fantastic resource!

foreverFlummoxed

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:44 am

pherociousDuodecim wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:17 am
One glaring problem with the wiki is the lack of entries for Homosuck Anthem, the undisputed king of featured tracks. Elevatorstuck is also missing the other two big walkarounds it is in. Haven't checked anything else.
oh yes, because homosuck anthem is featured on pages 7410-7445 (35 pages) and elevatorstuck is on the A6I3 pages 5308 and 5398

there's also an appearance of Warhammer of Zillyhoo (with mario paint) on page 6943.

florrie

Post by florrie » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:22 am

hi all, new faces and old! :rorb:

i just wanted to leave a quick update regarding the site: im going to be delaying this months upd8 to some time in september. ive reached something of a plateau with the content and quality of the wiki, and while theres always something more to add or polish, i would like to take a bit of time to brainstorm what should be done for the site next. since were nearing the end of august already, im taking an extra month to give those ideas room to grow; with any luck (and generous life circumstances) we should be seeing a pretty interesting release come september!

thanks a bunch to all for your inspiring resources and attentive catches across the wiki! its very much appreciated; youll absolutely be seeing such revisions in the coming update thanks to you. :apple:

(also, foreverFlummoxed, i finally got around to getting art for pony2. no longer shall the slippery flash evade my mental task-setting grasp :rosecool:)

Gio
Pronouns: its him
Moon: Derse

Post by Gio » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:05 pm

This seems to be missing the Jailbreak Album. Not sure if this is intentional ("jailbreak =/= homestuck") or not.
I'm making Pesterquest Modsuite! Write your own pq/friendsim routes!
Keep circulating the tapes.
you're
:⁾
welcome

foreverFlummoxed

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:17 am

Can't believe I didn't notice this before: Squiddles! (track) isn't listed as being in Descend or Jade: Wake up

Also here are some of the missing times that I can get for tracks:

LOFAM 2: Fighting Spirit 4:04 Joy and Dream Eternal 2:45

(↓ according to HS sound test)
Unreleased/removed tracks: Gaurdian 2:05 Mutiny 2:59 Strider Showdown 0:57 Non Compos Mentis 1:53 Penumbra phantasm 0:30
(↓ according to google)
Master of Puppets 8:35

florrie

Post by florrie » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:43 pm

heya! im realizing ive left the forums on a bit of a dissonant note as far as whats actually been going on with hsmusic, so heres a status update quote i sent to an emailer who was wondering about progress - hopefully this gets anyone with an eye on the forum thread up to date as well.
over planning the update, i realized that, generally speaking, hsmusic might actually have reached a point where it is essentially complete. i have a few ideas drafted of how i might like to reorganize the listing of fan albums a little (in order to better present fan albums while not drowning away official or larger releases), but beyond that, ive had trouble figuring out where any larger changes should be made. the site already serves as the explorable database it was designed to be; improving the wiki is mostly just a matter of polishing existing features, like i mentioned with better organizing the main album listing. between rethinking how the wiki should grow and handling everything going on in life, ive had trouble finding where tweaks would make exploring or using the wiki better -- but i expect that when any changes are decided upon, they probably wont be much bigger than polish.

i should mention that most energy for the wiki through the end of august and the beginning of september were put into setting up a collaborative leitmotif-reviewing/gathering project, but while the launch of it was pretty smooth, progress has since stagnated. this is almost exclusively thanks to the way 2020 has been relatively crushing for many people, certainly including me, draining energy and motivation for monotonous wiki work pretty significantly. that said, progress there certainly isnt time-sensitive, so when interest and energy return, id love to revive or put a bit more into progressing it again.

hopefully this update is useful for getting you up to date with whats going on! my apologies for not getting a proper update out on the forums sooner, especially after leaving the thread on a note of big modifications coming soon; i certainly didnt mean to push hopes or expectations unreasonably high, although thats kind of the natural impact of an announcement like that left untended. still, hopefully this update is handy, and im excited to see what you create with the resources on the wiki!
with all that in mind, id love to make as best up for the radio silence and lack of update as i can by getting a smallish update out early this month, since people have sent a fair amount of suggested tweaks and updates id love to get caught up with! so theres that sort of polish to look forwards to in any case. :)

thank you for reading and sticking around, in any case! even if the wiki might be at a point where its mostly complete (at least for now), it wouldnt have gotten here without everyone who contributed or commented, so i want to express again my absolute thanks to all those who have, as well as anyone who has gotten use or enjoyment out of the wiki. :rorb:

foreverFlummoxed

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:36 pm

it seems like all of the big info is there, it's just miscellaneous/smaller info that could slowly be added overtime. The only times it would need a bigger date would be if a new official album was released or if some more fan albums were added.

speaking of miscellaneous info: i noticed Noirscape seemed to be missing a lot of the references it uses, i can't remember all of them at this time though.

florrie

Post by florrie » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:32 am

autumnal polish haul
hey all!! thanks a million for your patience and feedback over the last couple months; this season has been really busy for me, so besides the status report a week ago discussing the future direction of the wiki, i havent had too much time to focus on an update. yet still we find one at the wikis doorstep today, so heres a quick summary of the tweaks and additions here! :)
  • four new albums archived! Labyrinth's Heart, I Am Writing Myself A Dream In A Letter, Exceptis Excipiendis, and Jailbreak Vol. 1! i have some thoughts on how fan albums might be reorganized in the nearish future, so we shall see what comes of that with time :candycorn:
  • artist quick-link icons added! they are gorgeous, and also stolen from carrd.co, thank you very much. the idea is that itll teach unfamiliar users, without going through the relatively obscure artist pages, that you can visit artists on their own sites, and encourage experienced explorers to branch out further, since the links are always passively present!
  • brought over anthology art from Alternia/Bound to the Alternia and AlterniaBound albums!
  • added many new artist pages (no more linkless contributors!) and a couple new flash pages
  • added a bunch of bandcamp links where there werent any before (particularly for the newly rereleased Prospit & Derse!)
plus i explored the wiki and brought a simply ridiculous amount of data fixes i couldnt possibly list here! hence: the changelog :kitty:

i hope you all enjoy the update!! as ever, your feedback is immeasurably appreciated; thank you so much for the patience and perseverant enthusiasm over the wait. like discussed in the status report i linked, most changes coming up are likely going to be fairly small additions like in this update, but thats not nearly so much a sign of the wiki dying down or reaching stagnation as it is a symbol of how far its come, and that is in such an endlessly amazing way because of everyone who has helped or been here through the journey -- thank you! :rorb:

nuclear333
Pronouns: They/them
Classpect: Rogue of Void

Post by nuclear333 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:51 pm

Hello! I am putting together the metadata and track art credits for all Homestuck music, along with commentary, all locally, based heavily on your work (as it's the most reliable place to get such information). I'd like to ask a question. Iron Infidel has several people listed as "contributors", but it is unclear what part they had in the track. Was it for art, or the song itself, or was it not clarified in whatever database you got this information from?

I'd also like to note that the lyrics seem to be missing from the Iron Infidel page, and the artist credited is Elanor Pam, when the art can be found on the portfolio page of Paula Viera (your credit was correct, see following post). I'll double check everything to see if it all checks out.
Last edited by nuclear333 on Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They/She • Rogue of Void • TwitterThe Commbo Backups

nuclear333

Post by nuclear333 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:08 pm

So let me bring up the issues and suggestions I've found so far, for coloUrs and mayhem: Universe A.
  • SuryaAsura has an associated Tumblr, but not a Twitter. SuryaAsura's twitter is http://twitter.com/suryasura/. This isn't a mistake, just a suggestion.
This is all I could find right now, but I do have a couple of other things. First, Mathias Ramalho (also known as FriendlyCoy) is credited with two t's rather than one. Matthias (incorrect, and current), Mathias (correct). Secondly, Beyond Canon only has 18 of the 19 songs that were in its original release. It's probably not very widely known, but track 15 was originally Turnabout/Interlude by Seijen. While I have a personal distaste for this person, I feel it's important to ensure everything is archived and given proper credit.

nuclear333

Post by nuclear333 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:18 pm

I've got more to share than just this, but the artist of Indigo Archer requested to be credited as "Toguchidraws" in all places available.
I have some DMs here so it doesn't seem as though I'm making a baseless assumption. Please see the attached files.
From hereon I'll be waiting until I've completed my collection of metadata and credits for coloUrs and mayhem: Universe A before posting more.
Attachments
First DM with Toguchidraws.
First DM with Toguchidraws.
firefox_HBB6efz6kP.png (302.69 KiB) Viewed 22590 times
Second DM with Toguchidraws.
Second DM with Toguchidraws.
firefox_JhRA2nR0u5.png (8.52 KiB) Viewed 22590 times

florrie

Post by florrie » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:29 pm

nuclear333 wrote:Hello! I am putting together the metadata and track art credits for all Homestuck music, along with commentary, all locally, based heavily on your work (as it's the most reliable place to get such information).
heya! thank you for all your reports and info - theres still a bit of work id like to get done before pushing the next (minor) update, but ive taken all your notes and implemented them into the wiki data, so youll be seeing all the proper info when that releases. (id love to have the rest of your notes on universe A once youre set to share!)
I'd like to ask a question. Iron Infidel has several people listed as "contributors", but it is unclear what part they had in the track. Was it for art, or the song itself, or was it not clarified in whatever database you got this information from?
they were only listed as "special thanks" in the bandcamp release. id wager a guess theyre the names behind the choir featured in the song, but i cant properly credit them as such without being sure!

the track art is explicitly credited to paula vieira/elanor pam, though, so im pretty sure those special thanks are collaborators on the song.
Beyond Canon only has 18 of the 19 songs that were in its original release. It's probably not very widely known, but track 15 was originally Turnabout/Interlude by Seijen. While I have a personal distaste for this person, I feel it's important to ensure everything is archived and given proper credit.
you could argue this decision is kinda controversial, but yeah, im aware of that track. but it was struck from release only hours (if not less) from release, and this was done with intent - which in this case, im deferring to as the force in the matter. im not aware of the specific context around it, but i dont want to risk platforming someone whose music was intentionally removed from the soundtrack, so im not giving them a spot on the beyond canon wiki page. (besides for completions sake of artists own uploads, this is part of the reason i link to a separate playlist instead of Alternative WheatleyMFs prompt upload -- i dont have any ill will towards archivists who feel differently, but im not comfortable giving an artist spotlight the official bandcamp took away in that manner.)

otherwise, everything you took note of is brought over and set for the next release -- thank you!

nuclear333

Post by nuclear333 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:46 pm

you could argue this decision is kinda controversial, but yeah, im aware of that track. but it was struck from release only hours (if not less) from release, and this was done with intent - which in this case, im deferring to as the force in the matter. im not aware of the specific context around it, but i dont want to risk platforming someone whose music was intentionally removed from the soundtrack, so im not giving them a spot on the beyond canon wiki page. (besides for completions sake of artists own uploads, this is part of the reason i link to a separate playlist instead of Alternative WheatleyMFs prompt upload -- i dont have any ill will towards archivists who feel differently, but im not comfortable giving an artist spotlight the official bandcamp took away in that manner.)
I completely understand your decision, and I'm glad to know it was done with intent rather than out of not knowing. I'm not sure anyone knows the circumstances behind the removal, but based on my limited interaction with him I can't say I was especially surprised to learn about the removal.

I'm still working on my logging on universe A, and there are a LOT of new credits to be changed or added, to the point that it might be easier to just upload my .txt file rather than list them individually. I haven't yet finished Side 2, but I'm hard at work on it. I hope what I've found can be of use to the wiki.