How Has Homestuck Changed How You Interact With General Media?

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
uranianUmbra
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Maid of Breath
Moon: Prospit

How Has Homestuck Changed How You Interact With General Media?

Post by uranianUmbra » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:58 pm

:meat: question above. i just wanna know how it has affected all of your views of narration, stories, etc. i’m not sure if this is appropriate for this board, but i am interested in hearing how homestuck at large, including dubious canonicity, has affected this. :meat:

:candy: thank you so much in advance! :candy:

overThinker
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Seer of Light
Moon: Derse

Re: How Has Homestuck Changed How You Interact With General Media?

Post by overThinker » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:13 pm

in my opinion one of homestuck's greatest strengths is how it bridges several different types of media (flash games, visual art, literature, animation), which completely blew my mind when i was first getting into it because i didn't exactly realize that that was a thing you could do with art, haha. in that regard it has made me more appreciative of when individual pieces of media experiment with their medium, because it can be really interesting and show a lot of ingenuity when it's done well.

homeStank
Pronouns: They/Them
Classpect: Seer of Mind
Moon: Derse

Post by homeStank » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:24 pm

For a while after reading homestuck, I found myself much more desensitized to violence and death in media. It didn't hit nearly as badly, and the concept of just killing off a character felt more normal and usual than anything. This effect has worn off after a while though.

It made me use second person perspective much more often in my own writing and conversation. I'll often roleplay with people and just naturally fall into writing in second person. It's strange and I have to keep correcting myself in places that have limits on what kind of perspective they allow their roleplayers to have.

It heavily affected how I draw hair. I can't stop doing the swoopy thing. It's just. My life now.

Cr0ssCutter
Pronouns: He, They
Classpect: Heir of Heart

Post by Cr0ssCutter » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:10 am

Because of Homestuck sense of grandiose and all of its lore I can't stop always enjoying media through looking for all the little clues and analyzing characters and foreshadowing, thematic similarties, parrallels, tons of shit like that. I just dig and dig and enjoy all discussions about theories and such like it's candy. As well as developping or exploring character relationships like a LOT, to the point where it's kind of the core of what stories are to me, how the characters interact and how the world around them drives them to make the plot or lack thereof progress :candy:

It also reflects how i work on my own stories which are pretty much ALL connected in their own extended universe, similar to paradox space. I also can't ever get enough of second person narration. I guess I also learned how to make things more ironically tragic without it being too forced or unfair? Who knows. Basically Homestuck gave me the kinds of standards i have for stories that make them much more ambitious than they should be. I always keep expecting more, deep content that sucks you in and makes you scream at how much it makes you feel things :meat:

Overall though I wouldn't say it dictates my entire view of how media should be, it's still to me a big exemple of how things can become great in the weirdest and most fun ways possible, but at the end of the day, the rest of the word doesn't necessarily know of homestuck and acts as if it's never even existed. So I have to restrain myself to not always comparing things and excepting new and fun ways to explore what a story even is, and just sort of enjoy what's in front of me instead :pumpkin:

Bahinchut

Post by Bahinchut » Tue May 05, 2020 8:34 pm

It definitely lowered my tolerence for bullshit somewhere below my ankles. On a more positive note, it made me more aware of when a piece of media doesn't use its medium to the fullest.