Classpect connections within sessions?

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
adamantArchivist
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Mage of Light
Moon: Derse

Classpect connections within sessions?

Post by adamantArchivist » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:31 am

I noticed an odd detail when thinking about classpects the other day: each of the three multiplayer sessions in Homestuck canon (counting B1 and B2 as one because of fewer players and more direct intervention across the Scratch) have a Seer and a Rogue of opposite aspects.

A1: Kankri (Seer of Blood) and Rufioh (Rogue of Breath)
A2: Terezi (Seer of Mind) and Nepeta (Rogue of Heart)
B1/B2: Rose (Seer of Light) and Roxy (Rogue of Void)

I can't for the life of me figure out whether this means anything or is pure coincidence. Can anyone think of some reason for this? Might be something to do with balancing.

thorondraco

Re: Classpect connections within sessions?

Post by thorondraco » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:39 am

Thaaat looks pretty delibreate O.o

egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath

Post by egg » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:54 am

There's no canonical connection between either of these classes. That being said, Nepeta's very first pesterlog was with Terezi, and Roxy and Rose are related, with all that entails. There does seem to be an interesting amount of coincidences that suggest some relation, but a lack of lampshading (especially since Roxy is friends with Calliope, who would absolutely talk about it) or even further interaction between Nepeta/Terezi (and any at all for Kankri/Rufioh) indicates that it's simply just that - funny coincidences. There's very little material in the comic itself to even justify an analytical theory about these two classes, who are otherwise implied to be completely different from one another in almost every way possible.
I think it's a bit unlike Hussie to drop off these kinds of things and never remark on it, not even on an off-comic capacity such as his now dead social media accounts or the book commentary.

What I think happened here, personally, is that Hussie intended for Roxy and Rose to be of opposing Aspects (their classes had nothing to do with it). The rest remained as a consequence of the fact that both troll sessions have all 12 Aspects, with Terezi and Nepeta either being coincidences or intended to explore the HeartMind duality, and in the pre-scratch it being a coincidence caused by the fact that Hussie likely only classpected the dancestors after exposition was dumped on us about them, resulting in Kankri becoming a Seer of Blood (seeing visions of an ideal society) and Rufioh being a Rogue of Breath (distributing independence through revolution)
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

TH4NK YOU B3N
Classpect: Mage of Heart
Moon: Prospit

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:22 pm

When you explained that the title of the Ancestors are meant to be archetypical, I understood why Mages are considered to be active Seers, despite Sollux not really having an arc. Thank you.
only bad takes here

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:26 pm

egg wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:54 am
There's no canonical connection between either of these classes. That being said, Nepeta's very first pesterlog was with Terezi, and Roxy and Rose are related, with all that entails. There does seem to be an interesting amount of coincidences that suggest some relation, but a lack of lampshading (especially since Roxy is friends with Calliope, who would absolutely talk about it) or even further interaction between Nepeta/Terezi (and any at all for Kankri/Rufioh) indicates that it's simply just that - funny coincidences. There's very little material in the comic itself to even justify an analytical theory about these two classes, who are otherwise implied to be completely different from one another in almost every way possible.
I think it's a bit unlike Hussie to drop off these kinds of things and never remark on it, not even on an off-comic capacity such as his now dead social media accounts or the book commentary.

What I think happened here, personally, is that Hussie intended for Roxy and Rose to be of opposing Aspects (their classes had nothing to do with it). The rest remained as a consequence of the fact that both troll sessions have all 12 Aspects, with Terezi and Nepeta either being coincidences or intended to explore the HeartMind duality, and in the pre-scratch it being a coincidence caused by the fact that Hussie likely only classpected the dancestors after exposition was dumped on us about them, resulting in Kankri becoming a Seer of Blood (seeing visions of an ideal society) and Rufioh being a Rogue of Breath (distributing independence through revolution)
HS^2 kinda confirms that aspects parallel each other in its very first update. The question is if the pattern was intentional all along or it just became that way. I know that a lot of the details about aspects might actually have come from Hussie watching fans theorizing and some vague idea from himself, all mixed together.

TH4NK YOU B3N
Classpect: Mage of Heart
Moon: Prospit

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:53 am

No, we're clear on aspects having opposites. The question is whether classes do. I don't think we can really look at session composition alone to determine this, because then we'd come to the conclusion that Space players have to be female and dream on Prospit.
only bad takes here

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:46 am

TH4NK YOU B3N wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:53 am
No, we're clear on aspects having opposites. The question is whether classes do. I don't think we can really look at session composition alone to determine this, because then we'd come to the conclusion that Space players have to be female and dream on Prospit.
That is harder to say. With the case of a rogue and seer, seer could see something to steal and send the rogue after it in that case. We have the whoe active and passive class stuff. but there seems to be more parallel between rogue and thief than seer and rogue.

egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath

Post by egg » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:46 am

thorondraco wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:26 pm

HS^2 kinda confirms that aspects parallel each other in its very first update. The question is if the pattern was intentional all along or it just became that way. I know that a lot of the details about aspects might actually have come from Hussie watching fans theorizing and some vague idea from himself, all mixed together.
At no point did I ever imply that the aspects lacked a connection, only the classes. Yes, you could theorize a dynamic between them, but every class pairing has by default a dynamic - it doesn't make SeerRogue any more unique than anything else.
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:52 am

egg wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:46 am
thorondraco wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:26 pm

At no point did I ever imply that the aspects lacked a connection, only the classes. Yes, you could theorize a dynamic between them, but every class pairing has by default a dynamic - it doesn't make SeerRogue any more unique than anything else.
ooooh sorry. Misread the point XD.

There are definitely classes that probably opreate quite well together. If you want to steal something having a seer to direct you could help.