Classpect discussion

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
syrupsand
Pronouns: any
Classpect: confusing af no idea
Moon: Derse

Re: Classpect discussion

Post by syrupsand » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:26 pm

pfeffer-29 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:52 am

No idea about the class though. I took some class quizzes, got Heir, and was like, "ok cool I guess that kinda fits".
I recommend looking at homestuck wikis class page and look for the classes that suit you most maybe the quiz was not accurate

I personally saw maid fitting for me so i was like " ok wow this dude did a good quiz"
Last edited by syrupsand on Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

overThinker
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Seer of Light

Post by overThinker » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:12 am

pfeffer-29 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:52 am

No idea about the class though. I took some class quizzes, got Heir, and was like, "ok cool I guess that kinda fits".
usually just pondering it enough will lead you to a good decision. classes are how people are controlled by their aspect and how they use them, and considering that heirs are described as controlling their aspect or being controlled by their aspect, it doesn't seem very unreasonable to call yourself an heir of mind if you feel like you struggle with indecision a lot. because if mind is denoted by rational thought and the possible outcomes of actions, as an heir you're effectively being "controlled" by the potential outcomes of your decisions. this is why classpect is so fun to me, haha. it takes significant introspection.

pfeffer-29
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Heir of Mind

Post by pfeffer-29 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:46 am

overThinker wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:12 am
usually just pondering it enough will lead you to a good decision. classes are how people are controlled by their aspect and how they use them, and considering that heirs are described as controlling their aspect or being controlled by their aspect, it doesn't seem very unreasonable to call yourself an heir of mind if you feel like you struggle with indecision a lot. because if mind is denoted by rational thought and the possible outcomes of actions, as an heir you're effectively being "controlled" by the potential outcomes of your decisions. this is why classpect is so fun to me, haha. it takes significant introspection.
that makes a lot of sense actually, I should probably look into classpecting more
thanks!

(also your signature is spot-on, Rose never developed past [S]: Cascade and it sort of irks me)
you can pry karezi out of my cold dead hands

overThinker

Post by overThinker » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:58 pm

pfeffer-29 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:46 am
(also your signature is spot-on, Rose never developed past [S]: Cascade and it sort of irks me)
haha, yeah. she's one of the most interesting characters in my opinion and it's a shame that she was narratively neglected for a while (which i think is because she's smart and pretentious and somewhat complex and therefore difficult to write lmao). i'm glad that she has maneuvered her way back into notoriety for homestuck^2 though, butthatsofftopicsoillshutupnow.

uranianUmbra
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Maid of Breath
Moon: Prospit

Post by uranianUmbra » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:55 am

i’m a maid of breath or muse of space depending on the day :3 both are very related to encouraging change!

Cr0ssCutter
Pronouns: He, They
Classpect: Heir of Heart

Post by Cr0ssCutter » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:01 pm

I've had a lot of time messing around with different classes and aspects because all I spend my time doing is endlessly introspecting. I feel close to many aspects but it's safe to say that I've settled for being a Heart player (duh), I've pinned myself down as a Page and a Rogue before but I think ultimately Heir is the class I feel closest to.

I wouldn't want to get too into detail about why I chose this, but let's say what I think being a Heir of Heart is about (from my personal interpretation/experiences) is about inheriting my own identity/self, or basically, passively having your soul be influenced by your surrounding and upbringings. The way I view myself and the way I am are things that are very vivid and that I don't have a very good handle on, but it's really easy to witness from any perspective I think. I'm very expressive in person, and extremely easy to read, my mood is thrown around depending on the mood of the place and people around me. Let's say I've developped a pretty intricate coping mechanism that makes me very versatile, and i'll drastically change my behavior depending on who I'm facing.

I mean I do a fanadventure on mspfa called Selfstuck so this should all end up being pretty obvious.
Anyway I'll cut this short around here because I feel like I'm just running my mouth spouting the vaguest most abstract shit in a terrible attempt to not get too personal but clearly doing the exact opposite effect. So yeah, Heir of Heart, the least subtly self obsessed kind of people you'll meet probably.

homeStank
Pronouns: They/Them
Classpect: Seer of Mind

Post by homeStank » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:09 pm

I'm figuring out what my classpect is, based on my understanding of the system as a whole. I'm a big fan of the idea that classpects are inherently related to storytelling and the role of a person in a story, which makes it a little difficult for me to pin it down to myself as I, a Real Human Being^tm, are inherently outside of a storytelling framework that exists in the human mind and the way in abstracts stuff. Obviously though this could be wrong so I'm not like a die hard person for this idea.
The Extended Zodiac told me that my Aspect is Time, which I'm very happy about actually. Time is a fascinating aspect, and is also arguably the coolest. But I personally feel more emotionally related to the Aspect of Mind - specifically from the point of view of choices and logic, how a person thinks. My entire identity is built around the concept of analysis and being able to predict how a person would act and understanding their actions and consequences of them is something I pride myself on.
As for classes, I understand them.... uh... Worse. So imma say Seer of Mind and share a classpect with the coolest homestuck character :cool3d: .

Cr0ssCutter
Pronouns: He, They
Classpect: Heir of Heart

Post by Cr0ssCutter » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:25 pm

I think what could solve the issue of having trouble seeing yourself in a "narrative" is basically just picking whatever parts of yourself you think are most important and extrapolate from them I guess. Not viewing yourself in the real world as a character in a story, but the idea of you that you think would fit in a story, if your life was one. Does that make sense? Probably not. Basically make an archetype out of yourself and then you can put those abstract ideas onto it more easily than if you tried with your real life self.

Also seer of mind is really cool i love terezi so good job lmao

homeStank
Pronouns: They/Them
Classpect: Seer of Mind

Post by homeStank » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:16 pm

Cr0ssCutter wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:25 pm
Does that make sense? Probably not.
Also seer of mind is really cool i love terezi so good job lmao
Nah it makes sense to me! Thanks.
also yes terezi is great.

AsherCrane
Classpect: Rogue of Light

Post by AsherCrane » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:30 pm

In case anyone here still doesn't have their classpect theories set in stone, The Heir is confirmed as a passive class in the commentary of Book 6, page 306.

classpectanon
Site Admin
Pronouns: They/It
Classpect: Sylph of Light

Post by classpectanon » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:03 pm

AsherCrane wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:30 pm
In case anyone here still doesn't have their classpect theories set in stone, The Heir is confirmed as a passive class in the commentary of Book 6, page 306.
Can you grab a screencap? That's mega useful for confirming some of my theories.
I'm more easily reached at classpectanon#4228 on Discord. I will respond to reports faster there because PHPBB's notification system is borked and doesn't email me when you report things.

foreverFlummoxed
Pronouns: Call me w/e, idgaf

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:45 pm

AsherCrane wrote:
Could this may mean that another class is going to be revealed as active in a later/the next book? i think this means there are 3 confirmed actives (Lord, Prince, Thief) and 5 confirmed passives (Muse, Bard, Rogue, Seer, Heir) meaning 8/14 revealed 6/14 left and 4 pairings of classes yet to be shown ex. Prince & Bard

Heir as passive does seem like it was kind of obvious though, all 3 in Homestuck mostly concerned for/about others (John for his best friends, Equius about the trolls' place in hemospectrum, and Mituna's sacrifice for the others)

edit:
(also technically The Ψiioniic being on the side campaigning for the people/masses and on the flip-side The Helmsman being used only to benefit H.I.C./her armies)
FF: Personally, I think my skills are near-mediocre at best. that's really all there is to say on the matter.

FF: I couldn't figure out how to get it in the profile field so here's my YouTube channel

foreverFlummoxed

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:55 pm

classpectanon wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:03 pm
AsherCrane wrote:
Can you grab a screencap? That's mega useful for confirming some of my theories.

I had a friend take 2 photos with their phone, they generously made the important part easier to discern.

:andrew: Your'e Welcome :andrew:
FF: Personally, I think my skills are near-mediocre at best. that's really all there is to say on the matter.

FF: I couldn't figure out how to get it in the profile field so here's my YouTube channel

AsherCrane

Post by AsherCrane » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:14 pm

foreverFlummoxed wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:45 pm
AsherCrane wrote:
Could this may mean that another class is going to be revealed as active in a later/the next book? i think this means there are 3 confirmed actives (Lord, Prince, Thief) and 5 confirmed passives (Muse, Bard, Rogue, Seer, Heir) meaning 8/14 revealed 6/14 left and 4 pairings of classes yet to be shown ex. Prince & Bard

Heir as passive does seem like it was kind of obvious though, all 3 in Homestuck mostly concerned for/about others (John for his best friends, Equius about the trolls' place in hemospectrum, and Mituna's sacrifice for the others)

edit:
(also technically The Ψiioniic being on the side campaigning for the people/masses and on the flip-side The Helmsman being used only to benefit H.I.C./her armies)
4 active, 5 passive, actually. Witch is “Said to be a highly active class”, in the same“What determines whether a person is a Prospit or a Derse Dreamer...” https://wheals.github.io/tumblr/tumblr ... 56009290q1 reply that the Seer was confirmed passive in on AH’s Tumblr.

The above links to an archived version of that question and answer.

foreverFlummoxed

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:25 pm

AsherCrane wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:14 pm
4 active, 5 passive, actually. Witch is “Said to be a highly active class”, in the same“What determines whether a person is a Prospit or a Derse Dreamer...” https://wheals.github.io/tumblr/tumblr ... 56009290q1 reply that the Seer was confirmed passive in on AH’s Tumblr.

The above links to an archived version of that question and answer.
Yeah, that's entirely my bad, I suspected that it was active, but completely missed the [-HEY GUESS WHAT? IT"S ACTIVE.-]

Updated numbers:
9/14 revealed 5/14 left and 4 pairings of classes yet to be shown

AsherCrane

Post by AsherCrane » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:54 pm

Given the direct outing of Heir as a Passive class this book, I have high hopes for the next book, and even higher hopes for the book after (since optimistically we’ll hit cascade next book, and act 6 is when they start discussing the system of God-Tiering more openly).

foreverFlummoxed

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:30 pm

I think that the (most probable) reveal would be (for the beta and alpha kids):

Beta: 3 passive Heir, Seer, and Knight with 1 active Witch

Alpha: 3 active Prince, Page, and Maid with 1 passive Rogue

Page never really seemed like a team player class (Horuss not listening to Rufioh at all, Jake being true to his one and only love: Jake (both alpha and beta), and Tavros getting underlings to do most of his questing for him)

Knights never seem to be anything if not team players (they fight for their friends)

while Maid is the only one i can't really expel on, due to never personally being able to "read" maids that well.

both alpha and beta troll sessions have 6 passive players and 6 active players :cal:

and before anyone says anything:
Calliope's dead session has 1 passive player and Caliborn's dead session has 1 active player :cal:

overThinker

Post by overThinker » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:20 pm

foreverFlummoxed wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:30 pm
while Maid is the only one i can't really expel on, due to never personally being able to "read" maids that well.
all canon maids seem to have relatively strong personalities, not tolerating when others attempt to control or demean them, i guess. aradia using equius's fetishism to her advantage only until it directly objectifies her, and jane's frustration with jake's naive emotional complacency are two situations that immediately come to mind. i can't say much about porrim because i'm not very familiar with her character but i recall her exhibiting a similar demeanor in openbound. they all definitely strike me as active though, i guess a strong need for autonomy is what constitutes the maid class.

that might also explain why the two canon sylphs, on the opposite side of the active/passive spectrum, experienced the opposite. by that i mean that they tolerate overbearing and uncontrollable people to an absurd degree (kanaya with vriska and aranea with meenah). auxiliatrix is literally in kanaya's username too. so sylphs seem to be defined by the opposite: a detrimental inclination to moderate others and give themselves up. that's just speculative rambling though i got kind of carried away lol

foreverFlummoxed

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:40 pm

overThinker wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:20 pm
that's just speculative rambling though i got kind of carried away lol
Well i think that means that your'e just adhering to the purpose of the thread, you did good.

To go a bit into detail about the Knights (since I've had time to think it through)

Dave: Utilizes time and fights to protect others, doesn't actually seem interested in taking credit/"being the hero" just wants to help

Karkat: Unites everyone and fights so that every one can win as a collective, karkat being selfish (or at least trying to be) is when he seems to be his weakest (character-wise)

Redglare: Fights for Alternian justice, secretly fights for The Sufferer's proposed peace/equality (fights for others, don't ask me how she uses Mind effectively)

Latula: One of the few we barely here any thing of besides her Radical-ness, overcoming disability(?), and the Scratch difference between culling (thanks Aranea, big help)

classpectanon
Site Admin
Pronouns: They/It
Classpect: Sylph of Light

Post by classpectanon » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:04 am

knights are all highly fighting-adverse when it comes to actual martial strife, and they may be GOOD at it but for the most part they're pretty avoidant to it or don't actively participate unless strictly necessary.

one of the other important parts of maids are that they are "given" their aspect by others, forced on them without their consent. jane is the heiress, her life (representing currency and status, as Life does) is inherited, it's given to her, and she is forced by HIC to become her brainwashed empire-rebuilder. time is the aspect most highly associated with Death (yes, doom exists, but Doom is more associated with The Act Of Dying and ill luck, while Time is more associated with "the dead") -- Aradia becomes a ghost on whims of the timeline, because it's necessary (and thus indirectly serving LE), and once she becomes a robot, her time travel powers become a means to an end. She is enslaved to the timeline that she was given her "extra time" among the living from. Porrim takes space's association with maternity and is shackled to it, from her experience in the brooding caverns on Beforus (which she often kvetches about, for good reason)
I'm more easily reached at classpectanon#4228 on Discord. I will respond to reports faster there because PHPBB's notification system is borked and doesn't email me when you report things.