Redemption.

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath
Moon: Derse

Re: Redemption.

Post by egg » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:45 pm

Sokota wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:26 pm

I wouldn't say he needs a Redemption arc per se, but I would definitely enjoy seeing more content and elaboration on his relationships and personality. The thing about redemptions arcs is that they can seem forced sometimes, so I'm not really able to say if I would necessarily enjoy a Total Erasure of Everything He Has Done Wrong.
Arguably the only reason why redemption arcs in fiction seem to 'erase everything the character has done wrong' is because they're shoddily written. Homestuck is really no exception to this, even if it tries to parody it with Gamzee in Candy.
Any good redemption arc will have the writers and characters realize that it's difficult to forgive some things.
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

livingNingyo
Moon: Derse

Post by livingNingyo » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:54 pm

Part of me had hoped to see something like that between John and Vriska when I read Act 5.

Like it started to seem like Vriska felt uneasy about how John would really approach her if they do meet in real life after all the stuff she told about herself and things she had done.

Hard to say if we would get something like that for Pesterquest or Homestuck 2 where characters realize it takes a hell lot of time to forgive. Like earning the trust back from people you had wronged and forgiveness are two different things.
For you are true and destined prince ♒
And my sword is by your side
I will fight for you in glory until I die

furrylatula
Pronouns: he/him

Post by furrylatula » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:42 pm

arachonteur wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:47 am
I feel like additional redemption arcs would wind up being kind of redundant when compared to the extremely nuanced Vriska/(Vriska) unredeemed/redeemed dichotomy, or in bad taste, especially characters who people clamor for redemption arcs for, like Eridan. It would take a very deft hand to redeem that dude.
VASKA wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:57 am
Eridan, definitely. I think there's a lot of good things that could come from Eridan as a character, especially because he's such a horrible, disgusting person in a way that is very much relevant to the real world, but at the core there's really one thing that makes Eridan so awful: entitlement. He thinks he deserves a relationship, he thinks he deserves to win, he thinks he deserves to survive even when leaving all his friends for dead. He will throw anyone under the bus to get what he thinks is rightfully his, without any regard for how his actions effect others.

The reason I would like to see a redemption arc for him is because the story and the character would both have to confront this entitlement and humble that annoying bastard.
i think its worth mentioning that eridan is 13 years old and being an entitled annoying bastard is an extremely common symptom of being a 13 year old rich boy. there is at least one doomed timeline in which feferi willingly hangs out with him (the gt feferi who revives WV) implying that he has at least the possibility of not being a fuckin pain in the ass for five goddamn minutes
did trans vriska real

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage
Moon: Prospit

Post by rookie1978 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:06 am

Sahxyel wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:08 am

Though if I ignore all this I'll say who DOESN'T deserve redemption it's Jack (Bec) Noir. :cool3d:
But he did nothing wrong. That hat was simply atrocious.

arachonteur
Pronouns: she/its
Classpect: Thief of Light
Moon: Prospit

Post by arachonteur » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:43 am

furrylatula wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:42 pm
i think its worth mentioning that eridan is 13 years old and being an entitled annoying bastard is an extremely common symptom of being a 13 year old rich boy. there is at least one doomed timeline in which feferi willingly hangs out with him (the gt feferi who revives WV) implying that he has at least the possibility of not being a fuckin pain in the ass for five goddamn minutes
It's not that I think it's impossible, it's just that I think it's a tough needle to thread, and risks being in bad taste if done poorly, as we can see with [Pesterquest]Equius's heel-face turn in Pesterquest being kinda janky, despite him being ostensibly easier to redeem than Eridan. It'd take a deft hand, and one that I don't think most people would be able to pull off.
:professor: 2021 and I'm still the only person who's read Homestuck all the way through. :professor:

furrylatula
Pronouns: he/him

Post by furrylatula » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:01 pm

arachonteur wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:43 am
furrylatula wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:42 pm
It's not that I think it's impossible, it's just that I think it's a tough needle to thread, and risks being in bad taste if done poorly, as we can see with [Pesterquest]Equius's heel-face turn in Pesterquest being kinda janky, despite him being ostensibly easier to redeem than Eridan. It'd take a deft hand, and one that I don't think most people would be able to pull off.
godspeed to kate mitchell, may her eridan pq route manage to not piss off fans and haters alike
did trans vriska real