Unusual Gay Ships

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
Sahxyel

Unusual Gay Ships

Post by Sahxyel » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:02 pm

What unusual gay ships in Homestuck have you considered that have not really been talked about in the fandom? This thread seeks to both examine these possible avenues, and also maybe dispel the notion that people dissatisfied with A6 are because they are anti LGBT or whatever. This can also be a place where if you already supported the LGBT themes of A6 and beyond you can add more to the pile? I dunno, lemme get to some of my UGSs and explanations of why I think they'd be neat. If you have any to add, please do so by all means, and I'd absolutely love to read thoughts into why you think this UGS would work too! :orange:

Terezi/Kanaya

This one is surprisingly nonexistent despite the two being left alive and whole by canon proper. Kanaya is always noted to like 'dangerous' girls and Terezi herself is quite dangerous! She ends up tricking John and Dave into killing themselves and in GO even kills Vriska herself, but unlike Vriska Terezi often regrets and feels terrible about her choices after they're done rather than having to die for her to start thinking maybe she was wrong. Kanaya can reel Terezi in from those kind of bad impulses while Terezi's prodding and abrasive personality could help Kanaya become less a passive force. Kanaya is also an opposite to Terezi, I think, with how proper she is to Terezi's total gremlin energy which I enjoy to think of a lot.

Dave/Jake

This really fulfills Dave's empty space of being unable to have John with someone who is both more receptive to his advances and appreciative of his personality. Dirk I always felt was way too much for Jake and worse placed them both in a toxic kind of relationship that fully culminated into this cavalcade of suffering Jake is constantly put through in the beyond canon supplementary materials. Dave can also get Jake to put a reel on his own harmful obsession of idealized masculinity, which folds into his own issues with Bro pretty well and give that tangent of issue he found in himself somewhere to go with actual helpful application outside of some kind of pointless rant focused on John. Jake can give Dave someone who doesn't exactly smother him but also doesn't put pressure on him to 'perform' as the cool guy 24/7. Plus, Jake's hot.

Dirk/Equius

I dunno if this would count so much as an unusual pairing given ARquius but outside of him I don't see much about how they'd be if they were allowed to really be separate characters that could potentially get together. Honestly I feel like it'd work extremely well! Equius and Dirk's interests cross elegantly and Equius is not a bad looker, apparently. Dirk is very take-charge and Equius is very passive (or he likes being told what to do). Equius has some kind of quality to him that makes him less pathetic than Jake, and even he isn't beyond concocting his own little schemes to his benefit like what he did by betraying Vriska for the team setup for SGRUB with her none the wiser on it. They'd have a fun dynamic, I think, and Equius would undoubtedly enjoy any kind of punishment potential from crossing Dirk now and then while Dirk could happily micromanage someone who is consenting to it.
:professor: Honeybee Professor Says: Problem Sleuth is better than Homestuck!

It's a mathematical fact!

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom
Moon: Derse

Re: Unusual Gay Ships

Post by calamityCons » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:21 pm

I SHIP THE ENTIRE MIDNIGHT CREW TOGETHER IN ONE BIG POLYCULE AND THEY LOVE EACH OTHER VERY MUCH MWAH.

Jokes aside I have managed to extrapolate an incredibly wacky family-band structure of shipping the carapaces because it's really damn hard to actually find a singular carapace that isn't defined in at least some way to their relationships with a group of other carapaces. I thought it would be fun to think outside the box a little and imagine what a society might be like if we took the canonical groupings of carapace characters (WV, PM, AR; SS, DD, HB, CD; and if you could Problem Sleuth, PS, AD, PI, HD, NB) and like. Did another Alien Romantic System where groups of 3-to-5 wind up as the general combination found in collections of married people.

I don't know how palatable that idea is to this forum though, it is admittedly extremely out there and would certainly make a lot of people uncomfortable to think about carapaces that way? I don't know, I'm a bit more guarded in here because idk if polyamory counts as queer necessarily, and because this is an idea I'm very proud of so I don't want to get super into it and then some asshat dismisses it out of hand. That'd huwt my feewings, lol.

But outside of that, I've got a couple of ships from 2011 that I was super into before/during Murderstuck. I don't know if they're unusual now, but I know content for them has not been all that prominent after Act 6 started.

Peanut Butter and Jelly (Gamzee<3/<>Tavros) I was super into because their only on-screen conversation was the cutest goddamn thing I had seen throughout Hivebent up to that point, and I found it extremely heartwarming and it cemented my concept of those two characters as sweethearts. I thought it would've been super rad to see Gamzee and Tavros going on adventures and just being adorable morons together, I wanted the best for Tavros and I found Gamzee a really chill and friendly guy for being so damn nice to everyone he spoke to in contrast to all of the previous trolls in Act 4 being nothing but caustic dickwheels.

Eridan<3<Sollux was probably the best kismesis relationship I had seen in the comic? Based on the initial exposition on the concept, I thought it was basically that kind of thing where two people absolutely hate each other and want to see one another knocked down at least ten paces, but they're both evenly matched in some way and thus they wind up in an enjoyable, exhilarating race to see who can defeat the other first, and then as a reward for the thrill and excitement they both feel, they smooch. Eridan and Sollux are evenly matched in many ways, Sollux really wanted Eridan to fuck off, and Eridan was certainly looking for someone to give a shit about him in any way whatsoever. Eridan wants attention, Sollux wants Eridan to fuck off, and yet when presented the opportunity to fight, he jumps right into it. And it's clearly not the first time they fought. They just seemed like they genuinely wanted to defeat each other, and it was entertaining to the both of them. They fit!

Outside of those...

Equius<3<Gamzee is a ship I've had only because of Be the Seadweller Lowblood. That was a goddamn goldmine of a fanventure with great jokes and a much more thorough approach to the troll romance idea, and the way it approached shipping was exactly to my tastes. Interesting, wacky characters smacking together and the ridiculous conflicts that arise from that. Equius is portrayed as genuinely, madly in hate with Gamzee, and Gamzee is pretty much the kind of guy who's down for anything, so it's fucking great to see them butt heads and watch Equius be fucking adorable in his big confession scene (where he demolishes Gamzee's legbone to facilitate the installation of a robot leg [PICKAXE TO BONE MAKE HIM SCREAM]).

And lastly, as my closing offer...

LEPRECHAUN REPRODUCTION IS HOMOSEXUAL. THAT MEANS THE FELT ARE ALL SUPER GAY.

*makes the puppet men smooch smooch kiss*
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

Auntie
Moon: Prospit

Re: Unusual Gay Ships

Post by Auntie » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:34 pm

I'll have to second Dirk/Equius. I'd like to add, one of the big things that was a problem for Dirk and Jake was they had incompatible personal space/time needs- with Dirk needing more attention and knowledge of what Jake was up to, and Jake wanting a lot more of his own space to do his own thing. I feel like Equius and Dirk on the other hand, would work better in that regard. At least to me, Equius seems like someone who wouldn't feel suffocated by Dirk's affections.

Off the top of my head all else that comes to mind is some of my... I hesitate to use the phrase "crackship" since to me there's a very specific bar for bizarreness involved, but more out there ships. I've posited Spades Slick and Signless and would it work? Probably not! But it's something I like to explore due to the fanon status of both playing the role of "Karkat, and sometimes Kankri's dad" in a lot of fanworks where they have one of those (mostly humanstuck, but I have seen stabdads works where Karkat was still a troll)
irrelevant crackship rambling
Show
Admittedly I'm running a titled crackship zine myself, but it was more that I proposed "Let's ship characters that haven't ever talked to one another" and it gained that title and I decided not to fight that one since it doesn't really matter
Current works: fanventure
Still alive, living slowly