No Stupid Questions: The Help Thread

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
Daz

Re: No Stupid Questions: The Help Thread

Post by Daz » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:33 pm

JakeMorph wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:30 pm
[...] the kernel and the sprite, which part ways once sufficiently prototyped. [...]
They split once the player enters the medium (though it might acquire a more "sprite" form once twice prototyped pre-entry). Whatever prototyping happens before that is carried by the kernel to the prospit/derse towers, evolving the battlefield and enhancing the game with the information that it carries, while the sprite remains as a sort of a helper that assists the player.

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:55 pm

i'm more inclined to think the hatching of the sprite is more to do with its prototyping status and that the entry into the Medium merely signifies that the data gathering stage is over, with Jaspersprite and the void session kernels as examples, but yes, the kernel doesn't fly off to the prototyping towers until actual game entry.
mod on the mspa wiki

foreverFlummoxed
Pronouns: Call me w/e, idgaf
Classpect: Rogue of Light
Moon: Prospit

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:30 pm

foreverFlummoxed wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:07 pm
correct colour schemes (e.g. troll skin hex#C4C4C4/RGB 196,196,196)
(last post on the subject I swear)
Not sure if I should make a thread documenting all the colour pallets (like an updating colour reference sheet?) I've found or if that would just be dumb :bemused:
FF: Personally, I think my skills are near-mediocre at best. that's really all there is to say on the matter.

FF: I couldn't figure out how to get it in the profile field so here's my YouTube channel

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom
Moon: Derse

Post by calamityCons » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:13 pm

I think you can make a thread about it! You’re clearly very passionate and I’m sure it would be an interesting thread to read.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

TH4NK YOU B3N
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Mage of Heart

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:43 pm

Where did Rachel Rocklin go? I understand she was laid off, but did they break up? Who kept the cats?
only bad takes here

foreverFlummoxed

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:59 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:13 pm
I think you can make a thread about it! You’re clearly very passionate and I’m sure it would be an interesting thread to read.
Thanks! (although not sure about interesting, more informative I guess? :insolent: ) I'll link it from here→(viewtopic.php?f=15&t=441)
FF: Personally, I think my skills are near-mediocre at best. that's really all there is to say on the matter.

FF: I couldn't figure out how to get it in the profile field so here's my YouTube channel

foreverFlummoxed

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:39 pm

Anyone have a sprite of the Young/Teen Handmaid (Damara) that isn't the one posted on the wiki?

calamityCons

Post by calamityCons » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:09 pm

Damara doesn’t have many sprites of herself that arent in motion or with her hair down afaik :<

foreverFlummoxed

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:44 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:09 pm
Damara doesn’t have many sprites of herself that arent in motion or with her hair down afaik :<
What?
I was just needed the standard (non-hero mode) standing sprite of the young Handmaid (while in the service of Doc Scratch), not sure where the "hair down" came from

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:59 pm

what exactly is wrong with the one the wiki currently has? calamity brought up the hair down sprites because that's what a majority of the handmaid's sprites are in the comic. iirc she only appears with her hair up in one panel.
mod on the mspa wiki

foreverFlummoxed

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:17 pm

JakeMorph wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:59 pm
if you're not looking for sprites with her hair down, what exactly is wrong with the one the wiki currently has?
The wiki sprite is discoloured (I have it in my "sprite bank" currently, which is how I know) so I was wondering if anyone has one that doesn't originate from there, hoping it may have either correct colorization or at least a different discolouration (it makes sense more if one knows what I'm currently working on) edit: I still have no idea what people are meaning by "Damara's hair down"

calamityCons

Post by calamityCons » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:25 pm

When the Handmaid was introduced, her sprite had two modes. Her hair being put up in a neat bun, and her hair hanging down wildly.

https://www.homestuck.com/story/4040

The sprites where she had her hair in a neat bun have her arms included as part of the sprite.

https://www.homestuck.com/story/4038

foreverFlummoxed

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:40 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:25 pm
When the Handmaid was introduced, her sprite had two modes. Her hair being put up in a neat bun, and her hair hanging down wildly.

https://www.homestuck.com/story/4040

The sprites where she had her hair in a neat bun have her arms included as part of the sprite.

https://www.homestuck.com/story/4038
Genuinely completely forgot about that, THE MORE YOU KNOW

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:25 pm

if the sprite on the wiki is discoloured, it's because those are the colours it had in the comic. your efforts would probably be best put toward recolouring it yourself.
mod on the mspa wiki

foreverFlummoxed

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:48 pm

JakeMorph wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:25 pm
if the sprite on the wiki is discoloured, it's because those are the colours it had in the comic. your efforts would probably be best put toward recolouring it yourself.
For context: I'm documenting colour pallets used in the Standard Homestuck sprites and am currently figuring out a way to confirm the pallet of The Felt, and figured the handmaid was a sure way (since troll skin and horns have been consistent so far) but if no one has a sprite it's fine, I'll keep searching

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:09 pm

if it's the colour of their harlequin suits you're after, your best bet is probably the #2ed73a hex code for Calliope's blood given in the comic. happy hunting though!
mod on the mspa wiki

TH4NK YOU B3N

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:40 pm

foreverFlummoxed wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:48 pm
JakeMorph wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:25 pm
For context: I'm documenting colour pallets used in the Standard Homestuck sprites and am currently figuring out a way to confirm the pallet of The Felt, and figured the handmaid was a sure way (since troll skin and horns have been consistent so far) but if no one has a sprite it's fine, I'll keep searching
https://www.homestuck.com/story/4048

how's this?
only bad takes here

foreverFlummoxed

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:45 am

JakeMorph wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:09 pm
if it's the colour of their harlequin suits you're after, your best bet is probably the #2ed73a hex code for Calliope's blood given in the comic. happy hunting though!
Thanks, I'll use this unless I find conflicting information (unlikely due to #2ed73a being canon)
TH4NK YOU B3N wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:40 pm

https://www.homestuck.com/story/4048

how's this?
That would work if I could actually rip sprites myself... unfortunately, I suck. Its more just the clothes, the skin, and the horns, Troll hair is consistent thoughout all sprites because straight black #000000 (unless it's ghost Aradia or Aradiabot) is hard to discolour for some reason.

TH4NK YOU B3N

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:05 pm

Is this discolored?
only bad takes here

foreverFlummoxed

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:20 pm

TH4NK YOU B3N wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:05 pm

Is this discolored?
Technically yes (though it may be because i had to convert it to .png to open it with the photo editing program I use), but that does not mean it wasn't useful :professor: Thanks. I also feel this conversation should be moved to the "pallets of homestuck" thread in artbound if it isn't over, because maybe it might be off-putting if the "no stupid questions" thread is just one idiot (me) with a problem, idk :tense: