SWEET CATCH!!

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
JakeMorph

SWEET CATCH!!

Post by JakeMorph » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:17 pm

On the old MSPA forums threads to the effect of "what's something you completely missed while you were reading Homestuck the first time and is obvious in hindsight now that you noticed it" were popular for quite a while.

Then toward the end of the forums' lifespan people started running out of "obvious things" and it became more of a case of "fun details about Homestuck you just picked up on"; as such the final thread was renamed Sweet Catch!

So what are your recent Sweet Catches!

Some simple examples to start us off:
- Bard Quest was about dragon hunting. Homestuck's Bard went on to become quite the "dragon hunter" himself.
- Vriska is a spider troll; Kanaya and Tavros both have small flying insects for lusii.
- Rose's Mom is associated with a vacuum cleaner; "vacuum" is a synonym for "void".
mod on the mspa wiki

aspiringWatcher
Pronouns: he/they
Classpect: Allegedly Scribe of Life
Moon: Prospit

Re: SWEET CATCH!!

Post by aspiringWatcher » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:22 pm

Do I need to state the usual "Kanaya is a moth troll and she falls for both Light players she meets"?
The world is vast and full and wonders, no matter what they tell you.

bathtimebird
Classpect: Prince of Time
Moon: Derse

Post by bathtimebird » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:35 am

Roxy, as a void player, has many small things about her that are voidy. For example,
-she loves getting blackout drunk.
-She has one of those window portals in her room that takes her to the void.
-She has an appearifier which appearifies various objects from offscreen, some of them totally useless, like pumpkins.
-Pumpkins are voidy as fuck. Andrew spares no effort to keep up the "what pumpkin?" gag, but it ends up solidifying its connection with the void aspect. There are no pumpkins at all, and there never will be. Yet Roxy appearifies them constantly and feeds them to her colony of chess people: a textbook Rogue of Void action.

Clowns. Clowns are the perfect embodiment of the Rage aspect. Clowns operate on whatever logic is the funniest, which changes constantly. For example, a "clown car", for its very small size, can fit as many clowns as possible. How? Hope dictates there be a simple and believable explanation, but Rage demands there be a completely stupid and unreasonable one that should in no way be able to work.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:10 am

bathtimebird wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:35 am
Roxy, as a void player, has many small things about her that are voidy. For example,
-she loves getting blackout drunk.
-She has one of those window portals in her room that takes her to the void.
-She has an appearifier which appearifies various objects from offscreen, some of them totally useless, like pumpkins.
-Pumpkins are voidy as fuck. Andrew spares no effort to keep up the "what pumpkin?" gag, but it ends up solidifying its connection with the void aspect. There are no pumpkins at all, and there never will be. Yet Roxy appearifies them constantly and feeds them to her colony of chess people: a textbook Rogue of Void action.

Clowns. Clowns are the perfect embodiment of the Rage aspect. Clowns operate on whatever logic is the funniest, which changes constantly. For example, a "clown car", for its very small size, can fit as many clowns as possible. How? Hope dictates there be a simple and believable explanation, but Rage demands there be a completely stupid and unreasonable one that should in no way be able to work.
Wouldn't that be a hope thing actually?

bathtimebird
Classpect: Prince of Time

Post by bathtimebird » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:53 pm

thorondraco wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:10 am
I mean, whatever logic is the "funniest" changes over time. Hope stays the same. Hope's all about consistency. I think. Just look at Gamzee, he's anything but consistent, either by design or shear incompetent writing. His miracle modus is a good illustration of how Rage might work, actually. Rage just works. Not even I fully comprehend Hope and Rage. Classpects are bullshit by the way. :professor:

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:20 pm

bathtimebird wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:53 pm
thorondraco wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:10 am
I mean, whatever logic is the "funniest" changes over time. Hope stays the same. Hope's all about consistency. I think. Just look at Gamzee, he's anything but consistent, either by design or shear incompetent writing. His miracle modus is a good illustration of how Rage might work, actually. Rage just works. Not even I fully comprehend Hope and Rage. Classpects are bullshit by the way. :professor:
Aspects not so much. Classes however may be a lot more malleable than we think depending on the creativity of someone. Like, someone who is a prince of doom could act as a healer by destroying someone's doom and bringing someone back to life.
But there are consistent elements. And more so while things a class can do is malleable, there are aspects to a class that are consistent.

Both bards and princes are based around rejection of an aspect and trying to emulate the other. If rage is rational willpower and Hope is faith willpower, then a clown, something irrational, is how the Prince and the Bard have chosen to emulate faith.
I suppose a clown could work towards that. A comedian seems chaotic but is actually rational but gives that illusion.

Then again we don't know how the Clown aspects of the purple blood faith came into being. Kurloz wasn't a clown, he emulated a skeleton in reference to Lord english. And a lot of the facepaint pruplebloods we see emulate the skull pattern. But where the fuck does the clown part come from?

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:54 pm

the Rage symbol is literally juggalo face paint. Kurloz is a mime, which is a kind of clown.
mod on the mspa wiki

arachnidsGrip
Pronouns: They/Them
Classpect: Page of Light

Post by arachnidsGrip » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:40 pm

While being sawed in half by Kanaya, Gamzee's face splits into two expressions. Happy on one side, sad on the other, which is probably a reference to the masks of comedy and tragedy. I'm not sure how obvious this is to others, but it took me a couple of viewings to understand.

MorganMustDie
Pronouns: f

Post by MorganMustDie » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:43 pm

More just a really cool little thing that I think some people already know about
It's not really a ~cool thematic metaphor~ or anything but the first appearance of the Green Sun was from all the way back on page 980, in the background when Bec flashes around for only just a few frames or so

this page was posted on December 8th, 2009

December 10th, 2010, we get our first actual proper visual introduction to the Green Sun on page 3041.
Hussie had an image made for the Green Sun a year in advance, at least 2061 pages before he used it. It's just crazy how early on he was sprinkling in things that wouldn't turn up properly for several thousand pages
Image Perfection.