Missed Opportunities Thread

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage
Moon: Prospit

Re: Missed Opportunities Thread

Post by rookie1978 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:20 pm

PilotBlackSmith wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:00 pm
when I was in the early acts I tought the guardians were previous sburb players, which explained how they could beat enemies and were so strong despite apparently just being normal adults
Bro literally moves at fucking lightspeed and Dad, Grandpa and Mom apparently managed to beat a fuckton of enemies VERY easily and I didn't knew about the troll session fuckery at that point
Can't forget that Dad had enough raw strength to out-muscle the 'muscle' of the Felt (Cans) who punched so hard he literally hit you into next week. Dad was so strong he made ARquius sweat. Aside from Lord English in terms of raw strength he's probably at the top.

Leddy
Pronouns: Any (They/He/She)
Classpect: Sylph of Life

Post by Leddy » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:55 pm

thorondraco wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:08 pm
Leddy wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:46 pm
We've still got next to no information on the Lime caste.

There's such cool potential there... and even on that it's STILL possible to draw it out. Not as much of a missed opportunity yet, please give us more info on them.
Just realized that it seems like the eldritch lusus is the reason we don't see any Limes. Not that they aren't born at all, but because they are killed the moment they are born or even before. Doc mentions something like using it as a weapon against casts.

Meaning if there is an active limeblood on Alternia, something might be keeping him from being attacked by the Eldrithc Lusus.
I think not myself. Thinking in that regard, than it's unlikely that Karkat should be alive. His blood color is (seemingly) a mutant of that of the Lime Caste if you go by the Extended Zodiac. He'd not be alive in that case and scenario, and there was teasing of a potential Limeblood being alive in the Hiveswap Acts as well apparently.

I think it more likely that it simply killed off the caste, making them unable to make any more slurry for the lime bloods... or rather that seems to be the case however it is a mystery, as Karkat is that of a Lime Blood mutant and the Sufferer surely wouldn't have been allowed to add slurry for the Mother Grub. It makes me think that there either is a very, very rare chance that a Limeblood can be born even without Limeblood slurry, that's the problem though we don't know and it's just never explained.

Gonna edit more onto this, in this panel we see that Lime colored Text as Karkat manages to actually soothe Gamzee somehow. https://www.homestuck.com/story/4086 which may be a way to say that Karkat does in turn have some lime powers, which is how he was actually able to draw the Trolls together in some sense, just like it's implied Limes are good at on the Zodiac. I think it's such an interesting and untapped concept that I really just have to know more about it.
:mutie:

Javepeta connoisseur
Professional Jade Stan
Roxy, Jade, and Kanaya are the best Homestuck characters /thread

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom
Moon: Derse

Post by calamityCons » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:25 pm

When I was reading Homestuck for the first time, I had a whole theory that Rose Lalonde, and only Rose Lalonde, was the result of ectobiology. Mom Lalonde was the one who created and raised Rose, and Mom had a lot of failures. I figured the failed Roses were why Mom Lalonde drank alcohol all the time, to try and lessen the sting of losing so many daughters before finally landing on Rose. And yet, Mom Lalonde didn't know anything about taking care of a kid. She tried so hard to see if she COULD create a human child that she didn't stop to think if she SHOULD /jurassicpark. I was so excited to see how Rose would react to the revelation of her inhumanity, how Mom would try to justify it, how that kind of emotional turmoil would explode, maybe even destroy one or both of them because of superpowers and such.

Then it turned out all of the kids and most of the guardians were ALL created through ectobiology, and that theory was jossed. Still a cool ass story idea though.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:27 pm

How exactly would Glb'golyb kill off one caste without also killing off all the castes underneath it in the process? That seems pretty inconsistent with how she clearly works in the comic, so I doubt it's what Andrew was thinking.
mod on the mspa wiki

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:20 pm

Leddy wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:55 pm
thorondraco wrote:
Leddy wrote:

There's such cool potential there... and even on that it's STILL possible to draw it out. Not as much of a missed opportunity yet, please give us more info on them.
Just realized that it seems like the eldritch lusus is the reason we don't see any Limes. Not that they aren't born at all, but because they are killed the moment they are born or even before. Doc mentions something like using it as a weapon against casts.

Meaning if there is an active limeblood on Alternia, something might be keeping him from being attacked by the Eldrithc Lusus.
I think not myself. Thinking in that regard, than it's unlikely that Karkat should be alive. His blood color is (seemingly) a mutant of that of the Lime Caste if you go by the Extended Zodiac. He'd not be alive in that case and scenario, and there was teasing of a potential Limeblood being alive in the Hiveswap Acts as well apparently.

I think it more likely that it simply killed off the caste, making them unable to make any more slurry for the lime bloods... or rather that seems to be the case however it is a mystery, as Karkat is that of a Lime Blood mutant and the Sufferer surely wouldn't have been allowed to add slurry for the Mother Grub. It makes me think that there either is a very, very rare chance that a Limeblood can be born even without Limeblood slurry, that's the problem though we don't know and it's just never explained.

Gonna edit more onto this, in this panel we see that Lime colored Text as Karkat manages to actually soothe Gamzee somehow. https://www.homestuck.com/story/4086 which may be a way to say that Karkat does in turn have some lime powers, which is how he was actually able to draw the Trolls together in some sense, just like it's implied Limes are good at on the Zodiac. I think it's such an interesting and untapped concept that I really just have to know more about it.
I did not notice that before O.o

Its possible though that his mutation is the reason why he could be immune to it though. He has a different 'frequency' to lime bloods.

That or its simply because the eldritch lusus knows about sburb and intentionally leaves him out of it. He must live.

Still i remember very remember Scratch mentioning it could be used to wipe out an entire caste.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:23 pm

JakeMorph wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:27 pm
How exactly would Glb'golyb kill off one caste without also killing off all the castes underneath it in the process? That seems pretty inconsistent with how she clearly works in the comic, so I doubt it's what Andrew was thinking.
The vast glub is a psychic scream of suffering rather than something targeted. Difference between blind flailing and specifically throwing a punch.

Specifically it seems to be from either when it screams in pain, or when it screams in mourning. Basically a fuchsia has a deadman's switch. The lusus will scream if anyone but another fuchsia kills them.

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:28 pm

sure, but there's nothing in the comic to suggest she has any way of killing people other than the Vast Glub, which is consistent with the other powers belonging to inhabitants of the furthest ring, like cursing all the children in a galaxy with frowns with the sound of teeth grinding. like lovecraft's monsters, the zoologically dubious don't operate on a fine scale. they're cosmic beings whose actions have cosmic consequences.
mod on the mspa wiki

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage

Post by rookie1978 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:27 am

Leddy wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:55 pm
thorondraco wrote:
Leddy wrote:

The limeblood is probably Boldir

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:51 am

I just think Limebloods are heavily more connected with Cherubs than other Trolls are, likely sharing direct DNA or some shit.

Would explain their Unexplained Powers and why mutant limebloods turn into redbloods, and gives a nice throughline from Cherub to Troll to Human.

Lord English (a red blood) created the Troll Universe, Karkat (a red blood) put in a large amount of work into making the Human Universe. Kinda disappointing that it doesn't seem like there are any new races made from the human universe.

paladinnertime

Post by paladinnertime » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:23 pm

BrobyDDark wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:51 am
I just think Limebloods are heavily more connected with Cherubs than other Trolls are, likely sharing direct DNA or some shit.

Would explain their Unexplained Powers and why mutant limebloods turn into redbloods, and gives a nice throughline from Cherub to Troll to Human.

Lord English (a red blood) created the Troll Universe, Karkat (a red blood) put in a large amount of work into making the Human Universe. Kinda disappointing that it doesn't seem like there are any new races made from the human universe.
good news dirks bout to go find some

also Im real mad that we got a whole bunch of planets themed around gasses and never got to see john interact with them
So like do highbloods just love milk or what?

arachnidsGrip
Pronouns: They/Them
Classpect: Page of Light
Moon: Derse

Post by arachnidsGrip » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:42 pm

The Alpha trolls as a whole see like a missed opportunity to me. I LOVE the ancestors lore, and the concept of the Alpha trolls is so cool, but they're just cruddy stereotypes! Barely anything is known about most, if not all of them, and that sucks! I love Homestuck lore and history so much, and that would have been the perfect time to give insight! Aranea was the perfect character for that too! She did a little bit of lore telling, but not nearly enough to satisfy me. What exactly cause Kurloz to scream so loud? How did the Alpha trolls session go before the explosion that killed them all? What great use of power made Mituna the way he is? So many questions left unanswered.