Of the characters most everyone hates, which is your favorite and why?

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom
Moon: Derse

Re: Of the characters most everyone hates, which is your favorite and why?

Post by calamityCons » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:05 pm

I still hold a warm space in my heart for Eridan. I like to imagine him struggling against his own nature in an attempt to get what he genuinely wants without falling back on shitty habits like redirecting emotional pain back to him or trying to manipulate people into pitying him. He has a lot of potential as an uplifting character who can figure our how to destroy his own loneliness and mental problems with the hope of improvement and the work it takes to do that. Also, his design is fucking gorgeous and I love his colorful, engaging outfit.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

Khiara
Pronouns: She/Her
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by Khiara » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:10 pm

Vriska.
Not because she is an angel that did nothing wrong (which is definitely wrong), but because of how complicated she is. She made some fault (and she has reasons for it--her lusus, her projections and ambitions to be like her ancestor), had some karma she deserved, had regrets and was willing to remorse then tried to fix anything by her own way. She keeps going no matter how unlucky and hated she was, and I do wish I have that level of confidence and determination.

Meanwhile, I believe that most of fans also hated Mindfang as well. I admire her so much, personally. She's a horrible criminal, yet she also had regrets for her mistakes later. And what is more heartwrenching to me is the way she left her treasures, weapons and a journal so her descendant could learn from her mistakes, be a better person and may had a better life (which sadly, all Vriska did were just copying her actions and repeating her mistakes. Though, it made sense to me, since Mindfang is her only role-model she could rely on while she had to take care of her abusive guardian).

With that said, I also adore their vague bond, and I'm pretty sure not every troll kids have that same kind of bond with their ancestors. (Not to mention, Vriska's Ancestral Awakening)

Oh, I like Eridan, too. I just don't think he's as bad as the most fans thought. He's not that pitiful, and he also had reasons for his awful actions.

"The Pir8's Daughter"

Visit my art gallery :
DeviantART

galileanTactician
Pronouns: Ur Mom Gay Lol
Classpect: Mooge o Spooce

Post by galileanTactician » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:02 am

I have never been able to stand Jane Crocker, even after the epilogues when she became a fascist dictator though that really didn't help things. At her best she's just "Female John" and at her worst she's "a whiny, self-centered brat who yells at her friends for trying to support her." Same with Jake, but replace "Brat" with "Gay" And that's exactly why I felt some kind of catharsis when Dirk finally ditched the two of them. Yeah he's fucking awful, but he's so entertaining in a sort of Dry Humor type way, plus I think he's a good villian in the epilogues.

TrickleJest
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Thief of Blood
Moon: Prospit

Post by TrickleJest » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:39 pm

I know I'm necro'ing this thread, but for me it's probably Caliborn and Epilogue Dirk. Honestly despite the fact that they aren't my favorite characters, I find it hard not to root for them when the spotlight is on them. I never really felt the desire to "stop" either, and in fact I found myself rooting quite a bit for Caliborn's conquest as well as the way Epilogue Dirk was written.

Never really got the obsession with Eridan, though. I guess incel shit wasn't as prevalent at the time, I suppose, and so nobody really viewed him in that light? I always just saw him as pathetic, but he had redeemable moments where I felt sympathy for him. He definitely could've been a lot better, but he was held back by his shitty obsessions.
Hey. Nice to :meat: you :professor: :professor: :professor: :professor: it's too late.