Unpopular Opinions Thread

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
BrobyDDark

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Post by BrobyDDark » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:57 pm

Characters that would use the hard r:

Karkat
Caliborn
Dirk
Jade (grimbark)
Jane (mind comtrolled
Eridan
Sollux
Vriska
Meenah
Bro
Spades Slick

Characters who would NOT use the hard r:
Calliope
Dave
Rose
Terezi
Tavros
Feferi
Hussie
Roxy
Jake

Characters who would NEVER say the n word, hard r or otherwise:

John
Jane
Equius
Nepeta
Ms Paint

Pls tell me if I forgot anyone.

Dingus
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Something of Something

Post by Dingus » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:02 pm

BrobyDDark wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:57 pm
Characters that would use the hard r:

Karkat
Caliborn
Dirk
Jade (grimbark)
Jane (mind comtrolled
Eridan
Sollux
Vriska
Meenah
Bro
Spades Slick

Calliope
Dave
Rose
Terezi
Tavros
Feferi
Hussie
Roxy
Jake

Characters who would NEVER say the n word, hard r or otherwise:

John
Jane
Equius
Nepeta
Ms Paint

Pls tell me if I forgot anyone.
If we're going off of that shit Karkat pulled with future!Arachnidsgrip then is it a safe bet to say that Karkat invented the n-word?

Is Karkat the CEO of Racism?

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:44 pm

Dingus wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:02 pm
If we're going off of that shit Karkat pulled with future!Arachnidsgrip then is it a safe bet to say that Karkat invented the n-word?

Is Karkat the CEO of Racism?
Its my headcanon now.

eldomtom2
Pronouns: fuck off

Post by eldomtom2 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:07 am

BrobyDDark wrote:
Hussie
How different do you think comic Hussie is to RL Hussie?

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind
Moon: Derse

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:19 am

eldomtom2 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:07 am
BrobyDDark wrote:
Hussie
How different do you think comic Hussie is to RL Hussie?
real hussie wouldnt charge heads on with a broom towards a man with a white ball for head
:rosecool:

stark

Post by stark » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:20 pm

if this ones already been posted then :lime:
i really liked the skaianet systems txt files, the "cursed lore". i thought they were funny and charming and they reminded me why i stick around places like these. its unfortunate that hussie apologised because it means he'll never make anything like it again.

luigi
Pronouns: ?/?/?
Classpect: Not Plumber of Pipes

Post by luigi » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:23 am

[mentioned hitler even though i was saying how he was the worst guy imaginable. apparently just mentioning someone by name regardless of context is enough to piss off this site's team]
Last edited by luigi on Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spambot wrote:The passion amongst men is increasing.

Shitpost Lizard
Pronouns: fuck/fucker/fuckface
Classpect: Maid of Hope

Post by Shitpost Lizard » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:53 am

luigi wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:23 am
Yeah it's a shame he bowed to the sjw fans on that one. I'm still not even sure why, because he brought up Hitler...? It's not like he was in support of the dude; he worked for the fucking Condesce (AKA: SPACE HITLER).

His older works were full of dark humour it's just this younger generation that can't stomach it.
Which is even weirder and funnier the type of audience Homestuck attracted, when one of his previous works was Team Special Olympics.
Caliborn Did Nothing Wrong
|Taurrius|
SL: Get drunk and contemplate where you fucked up in life.

[I draw stuff.]

luigi

Post by luigi » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:56 am

[meaningful discussion about things you enjoy is toxic apparently]
Last edited by luigi on Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sokota
Pronouns: he/they

Post by Sokota » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:10 pm

luigi wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:56 am
Shitpost Lizard wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:53 am
luigi wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:23 am
Yeah it's a shame he bowed to the sjw fans on that one. I'm still not even sure why, because he brought up Hitler...? It's not like he was in support of the dude; he worked for the fucking Condesce (AKA: SPACE HITLER).

His older works were full of dark humour it's just this younger generation that can't stomach it.
Which is even weirder and funnier the type of audience Homestuck attracted, when one of his previous works was Team Special Olympics.
That's exactly what I mean! It's like Hussie was the pendulum, and he started way out on the more 4chan side of things before swinging way way over to the Tumblr side of things. Both suck, but for a brief period of time (2008-2013) he landed right in the middle, where Homestuck should have stayed.
Totally agree with this. I think the thing I genuinely miss the most about Homestuck is the early acts' humor. It was objectively funnier than anything than anything that's come ever since. I understand that comedy shouldn't punch down on people too hard, but Homestuck has never ever been about squeaky-clean comedy, which seems to be the modus operandi nowadays.

ThePungeonMaster
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by ThePungeonMaster » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:42 am

I think the real turning point came around the time of the "I feel so caucasian" gag. I'm not going to try do defend it, it was in poor taste, and Hussie realized that quickly. But what I think makes this point significant is that before this much of his humor was racial, if not racist, so such poignant backlash to his more edgy humor is likely what motivated him to phase it out. But it does mark the turning point to what we have now, where there are literal trigger warnings at the top of every chapter. I'm not going to go on some kind of rant against "SJWs" because that would be reductive and wouldn't get us anywhere. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, Homestuck's sense of humor has changed drastically over its run. And it wouldn't surprise me if this change has been forced due to Homestuck's general change in tone. Tracing the sense of humor Hussie had way back to Jailbreak, it's no secret that the humor was more gross, more offensive, and much more tongue-in-cheek and devil-may-care. Now, it's much more serious. Topics like suicide and child abuse are brought up frequently, where it wouldn't surprise me if 2008 era Hussie actively joked about such topics. Homestuck has changed, and certain aspects of the story have been altered after the fact to accommodate said changes. Hussie didn't create Homestuck to be some kind of long, winding, creation epic for the ages, but that's what it became, and so the tone had to accomodate for that. It was no longer one man's goofy passion-project, it was a megamyth, that hundreds of people cared deeply about. Hussie had to care at this point because stakes held a new importance in the story, arcs now became greatly favored in this kind of story over the more static characters seen in works like Problem Sleuth, who changed little if at all over the course of the story. The trolls, first created by Hussie to be gag characters have since had the minutiae of their entire society dissected. What I'm saying is, offensive humor wouldn't fly nowadays because the culture around Homestuck has grown too serious. I mean, imagine the whole debacle about the "Vriska did nothing wrong line." in Pesterquest. In Homestuck, it would be obvious that such was a joke, but in that case, first people couldn't decide if it was a joke, and if it wasn't, they couldn't decide just how pissed to be. Even excluding the complication that Kate wrote that route, it made it clear how divided the Homestuck community has become, split between old fans and new, those who like the direction the authors are taking and those who detest it, and those who prefer the melodramatic to the facetious and vice versa. Really, I don't think it's right to say that one kind of storytelling, one kind of tone is better than the other, and all the same I don't think it's justifiable for both groups to be at each others throats so much. After all, Homestuck wouldn't be Homestuck without the both of them.
Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
June X Vriska is the best ship.

Mandy

Post by Mandy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:50 am

I feel like part of what happened is a conflict between Homestuck as a brand and Homestuck as one man's work of art. What stood out to me the most in the Skaianet debacle was V's message. Specifically, how it went by people who should have caught it, how Hussie wasn't taking their perspectives seriously enough, how there was some sort of group culpability. From what I've heard, Hussie used to essentially run his projects himself. Everything was his call, and if it wasn't well received, he'd just move on. Like with Bard Quest. Now there's a media corporation running his website and another entire company making his games. And take this with a grain of salt, because I wasn't here way back then, but it seems like there's a level of accountability to the audience that wasn't there before.

That's what made the difference, I think. Less a matter of changing audience or personal style, and more Homestuck becoming a brand, with too many hands trying to steer. And it's why I loved the Skaianet files. Most of what we've got since the ending (and even before that, I'd say) seems to be more a Homestuck thing than a Hussie thing. But those logs, I could tell it was Hussie writing what he wanted to, because he wanted to. For a few minutes, it felt like what got me reading Homestuck in the first place.

luigi

Post by luigi » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:01 pm

Whoa Mandalor is still alive! And he has the same picture still.

Shitpost Lizard
Pronouns: fuck/fucker/fuckface
Classpect: Maid of Hope

Post by Shitpost Lizard » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:01 pm

Ngl, I thought the "I feel so CAUCASIAN" joke was funny, if only because it was directly making fun of all the racewank surrounding the kids. I doubt Hussie gives an actual shit about how people headcanon them, but goddamn do people like to fight over it, like one person's take on a headcanon about featureless white templates is more valid than someone else's, because Representation™ or Oppression Points™ or something.

The entire thing is fuckin stupid, and making fun of it seems in-spirit with the rest of the comic.
Kind of like how Kankri was a direct parody of Tumblr SJW culture, and Cronus was a parody of kin kids.

If anything, I feel like catering to that crowd was more of a financial move than anything, which is smart from a business perspective.
But I can't help but feel like it's disappointing from a storytelling perspective. Means anyone who bitches loud enough can change whatever they want.
But I'm an extremely stubborn type (as is the Taurus way), so it's not the kind of strategy I can relate to.

I also come from older times on the internet where people didn't act like "microaggressions" and making "problematic" jokes was a society-collapsing event, even if they were in those "marginalized groups." So that doesn't help anything.
Caliborn Did Nothing Wrong
|Taurrius|
SL: Get drunk and contemplate where you fucked up in life.

[I draw stuff.]

ThePungeonMaster

Post by ThePungeonMaster » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:43 pm

I don't like how cautious and overly-sensitive modern Homestuck has been either, but my point was more that it was an inevitability of the kind of environment that surrounded Homestuck. But I should also specify that some of Hussie's humor does take it a bit far. The caucasian joke seemed like the intent was specifically to be offensive, and I don't like humor where the main intent is specifically to be offensive or piss off people. Making fun of people is okay up to a point, but poking the monkey when a topic is as charged in race in Homestuck is taking it a bit far. You were right that people like to fight about it, so I'm saying that people like to fight about it, and so he should have known better than to go there, because it would invariably stoke the flames more, and justify racist ideas about the comic, whether that was Hussie's intent or not.
Last edited by ThePungeonMaster on Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
June X Vriska is the best ship.

Mandy

Post by Mandy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:34 am

luigi wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:01 pm
Whoa Mandalor is still alive! And he has the same picture still.
:rorb:

Kind of surprised anyone remembers me. The old forum meant so much to me, but I never felt like I had much of a noticeable presence there.

I think my most unpopular opinion is that I actually liked trickster mode. Not in the sense that it's a good thing or anything, it's clearly not. But it fit well within the story, advanced the plot naturally, and did a pretty good job showcasing the cherubs' alien mentality. The only thing that came across as off-putting was how it was slightly undercut by the narrative picking all that apart immediately afterward.

luigi

Post by luigi » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:23 am

[who cares what i have to say]
Last edited by luigi on Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khiara
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Khiara » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:11 am

luigi wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:23 am
People have an issue with seeing anything negative within the comic and can't separate liking how a character is written and who they are as like... real people it seems, because they're unaware that conflicts and character flaws/flawed characters make a story actually interesting.
Because as what they believed, liking/disliking a certain character, ship, or headcanon does ALWAYS indicate an intention to inflict any kind of violance towards marginalized group of people in real life.

Valid logic, sure, and they keep on threatening those who disagree with them--even including marginalized people. Sure. People who hate discrimination, enjoyed to discriminate others just for fictional preferences.

Also, sadly, the official writers didn't help much about it.

"The Pir8's Daughter"

Visit my art gallery :
DeviantART

luigi

Post by luigi » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:50 am

[problem sleuth is better than homestuck]
Last edited by luigi on Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:01 am

English isn't Khiara's first language, but Khiara is saying that she agrees with you, and that she finds it exhausting that other people will bully people for their opinions on fictional characters.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance