Unpopular Opinions Thread

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
JakeMorph

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Post by JakeMorph » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:42 pm

aspiringWatcher wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:39 pm
Dirkjake was toxic af because neither of them bothered to work their issues out but at least Dirk can coexist peacefully with Jake in one reality seeing as GO!Dirk remained in a glitch mess instead of coming with John and UltDirk fucking permamurdered John over having a normal life. Would John be good for Dirk? Yes. (He's good for everyone.) Would Dirk be good for John? I don't really see how.
both of those things only happened because dirk and john basically don't know each other. I can't see how that has anything to do with what their dynamic might be like if they became closer.
mod on the mspa wiki

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:51 pm

Dunno if popular or unpopular.

It is okay to not like Homestuck^2 or the epilogues. If it does not suit your tastes, you can explain why they don't suit your tastes.

It is FAR from okay to try to discredit the Whatpumpkin team, Hussie, and try to make supporting the team and patreon as completely negative. Spreading outright disinformation. Seen two cases of it already. Like people really, really want to see the patreon just, fail. And want Homestuk^2 to not exist at all.

I get the thought behind it. I DESPISE the transformers movies. They are just horrible in every way. Serial killer optimus, and the action scenes are just incomprehensible. And if people stopped watching them, then they would stop being made. Voting with your wallet and such.

But why is it these people want to apply this logic to a freaking indie comic on the internet made by a handful of overworked contractors and one crazy eboy, and not the big ass box office, triple aaa bullshit that are kind of the actual issue in these scenarios? Why target the more vulnerable option?

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:09 pm

Also to throw in another one, neither Hussie nor the team were being literal about the 'fanonization' stuff and 'what is canon'. Its kinda obvious they were being metaphorical and referencing where much of the dev team came from; fans, theorizers, and fanfic writers. Its the kinda foe pretension that Hussie often employs. Maybe not being done quite as effectively as Hussie, but still the same.

I don't even think it is out of a lack of wanting that to happen, but a factor of practicality. Cause let's face it, headcanons and fan interpretations and fan produced content in general can vary in quality greatly. You have guys who make up ideas that rival Hussie and general creative artists. And then you have guys who would destroy Davekat because they are hellbent on shipping Dave with his Mom. We also have what is supposed to be freaking FixFics for homestuck in varying levels of quality too.

I guess a way to put it is that paradox space would decay into a miasma of formless chaos if we did this literally. There is no true consensus in a fandom. It would be the Void without the frogs, no start or end or logic to give anything form. Fandoms can be divisive and i would say too many people would be too focused on incest ships and fixfics to make a cohesive story for anything.

So it was never going to be a literal cause its not practical. And because this was what Hussie wanted to do.

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:13 pm

JakeMorph wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:42 pm
aspiringWatcher wrote:
Dirkjake was toxic af because neither of them bothered to work their issues out but at least Dirk can coexist peacefully with Jake in one reality seeing as GO!Dirk remained in a glitch mess instead of coming with John and UltDirk fucking permamurdered John over having a normal life. Would John be good for Dirk? Yes. (He's good for everyone.) Would Dirk be good for John? I don't really see how.
both of those things only happened because dirk and john basically don't know each other. I can't see how that has anything to do with what their dynamic might be like if they became closer.
I don't think Dirk is CAPABLE of getting close to John, considering John represents everything he can only be by hijacking the story.

John is The Guy. The single most important person in Homestuck. Without his existence, Homestuck would not happen, in-universe. He's the only reason Dirk exists in the capacity he does. He's the only reason Dirk can maintain his control on the narrative. Dirk wouldn't be able to get close to John without trying to tear him down or getting all too envious to be around him.

Dirk clings to Jake because he is singlehandedly the least important person in the entirety of the comic, bar none. Not even Nepeta is less-important, because she at least represents a part of the fanbase in a form that isn't overly mocking and almost affectionate. Jake is easy to manipulate and matters NONE to the events of the comic. Also, apparently his ass is nice enough to single-handedly sell merch to billions, sooo.

John, on the other hand, effects the narrative with every action he does. Even when he's not on screen. And he has the balls to go out and do shit just to make sure it gets done. He determines entire battles, even though he's not the strongest. You can look at John just take out a Hammer and say "yep. We either win this fight, or win the war. That fucker's too great to die." Him not being around makes everything go to shit, instantly. Happened in Act6 and is why the retcon is necessary, happens between the epilogues and is why everyone is so estranged, him going off to fight English is what lets Dirk cause so much havoc, him disappearing for long periods of time is what lets Jane go full psycho.

Also, I don't think Dirk is interested in anything but wannabe-rugged-hunks.
thorondraco wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:51 pm

It is okay to not like Homestuck^2 or the epilogues. If it does not suit your tastes, you can explain why they don't suit your tastes.

It is FAR from okay to try to discredit the Whatpumpkin team, Hussie, and try to make supporting the team and patreon as completely negative. Spreading outright disinformation. Seen two cases of it already. Like people really, really want to see the patreon just, fail. And want Homestuk^2 to not exist at all.

I get the thought behind it. I DESPISE the transformers movies. They are just horrible in every way. Serial killer optimus, and the action scenes are just incomprehensible. And if people stopped watching them, then they would stop being made. Voting with your wallet and such.

But why is it these people want to apply this logic to a freaking indie comic on the internet made by a handful of overworked contractors and one crazy eboy, and not the big ass box office, triple aaa bullshit that are kind of the actual issue in these scenarios? Why target the more vulnerable option?
I mean

It's insane to think about, but Homestuck is basically AAA as far as webcomics go. It's not nearly as Indie as most others, these days, though I can't say how professional it actually is inside the offices.

Daz

Post by Daz » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:33 pm

thorondraco wrote:

This thing managed to crash both Newgrounds AND Megaupload due to the sheer traffic when Cascade was released - I'd hardly call homestuck "indie" just because 99% of the fanbase that was there has been alienated due to gross mismanagement.

People love to give shit to big companies for digging up long-forgotten IPs for a quick cash-grab, and the way it is currently handled you could understand why there is a portion of the people still giving a shit about the comic likes sees it in a similar way, even if the motivation is not monetary.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:43 pm

Daz wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:33 pm
thorondraco wrote:

This thing managed to crash both Newgrounds AND Megaupload due to the sheer traffic when Cascade was released - I'd hardly call homestuck "indie" just because 99% of the fanbase that was there has been alienated due to gross mismanagement.

People love to give shit to big companies for digging up long-forgotten IPs for a quick cash-grab, and the way it is currently handled you could understand why there is a portion of the people still giving a shit about the comic likes sees it in a similar way, even if the motivation is not monetary.
Think the inaccurate part of that is that 99% of the fanbase left. Fans of something vary from people who really like it to fad seekers, with fad seekers sometimes being far more present. But there is no way only 1% of fans remain.

And it is without question still Indie dude. Be like saying Undertale isn't still an indie game. Popularity does not equate magically turns something triple a. They don't magically have freeking call of duty money and smoking fake hundred dollar bills. It is still a handful of people in a small company.

And still it doesn't justify being like 'i will try everything in my limited scope to ruin their career'. Like wtf?

Daz

Post by Daz » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:28 pm

thorondraco wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:43 pm
Daz wrote:
thorondraco wrote:

Think the inaccurate part of that is that 99% of the fanbase left. Fans of something vary from people who really like it to fad seekers, with fad seekers sometimes being far more present. But there is no way only 1% of fans remain.

And it is without question still Indie dude. Be like saying Undertale isn't still an indie game. Popularity does not equate magically turns something triple a. They don't magically have freeking call of duty money and smoking fake hundred dollar bills. It is still a handful of people in a small company.

And still it doesn't justify being like 'i will try everything in my limited scope to ruin their career'. Like wtf?
While I don't have the exact numbers, and it might not be 1%, the current fanbase is merely a shadow of itself in terms of size. And while technically you can call it "indie", HS is far from your low-exposure nieche webcomic.

And nobody talked about "trying to ruin their career", stop strawmanning. People who liked the comic are not obliged to support WP - if they want to, good for them, but let them decide whether they like the direction the team is going for or not. Saying that you are obliged to support a group of strangers just because they're a small company working on something you once liked regardless of what they're doing is utter bullshit. But I think this discussion is getting off-topic fast.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:45 pm

Daz wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:28 pm
thorondraco wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:43 pm
Daz wrote:

While I don't have the exact numbers, and it might not be 1%, the current fanbase is merely a shadow of itself in terms of size. And while technically you can call it "indie", HS is far from your low-exposure nieche webcomic.

And nobody talked about "trying to ruin their career", stop strawmanning. People who liked the comic are not obliged to support WP - if they want to, good for them, but let them decide whether they like the direction the team is going for or not. Saying that you are obliged to support a group of strangers just because they're a small company working on something you once liked regardless of what they're doing is utter bullshit. But I think this discussion is getting off-topic fast.
I've literally seen peeps lying about the patreon losing like a 1000 peeps in a month and making reddit posts that basically demands that people shouldn't support the patreon or Homestuck^2. Sooo no i am not strawmanning, there are people who actually doing that.

Also i literally opened my first post by saying it is okay if you don't want to support it or not or dislike it. But spreading rumors and shit to try and harm it and portray supporting it as negative and wrong, is kinda fucked up.

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom
Moon: Derse

Post by calamityCons » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:59 pm

I agree that it is wrong to spread malicious rumors and drive a smear campaign. I also agree that current Homestuck direction isn't to my liking so I choose not to donate to the patreon and to avoid reading HS^2. These are not exclusive concepts and can coexist. Please stop fighting.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:24 pm

calamityCons wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:59 pm
I agree that it is wrong to spread malicious rumors and drive a smear campaign. I also agree that current Homestuck direction isn't to my liking so I choose not to donate to the patreon and to avoid reading HS^2. These are not exclusive concepts and can coexist. Please stop fighting.
I refuse. Square up. Grudge match. Best of 3 wrestling. Pin count is to 3.

Daz

Post by Daz » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:27 pm

BrobyDDark wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:24 pm
calamityCons wrote:
I only settle disagreements with the long held tradition of duel by Connect Four.

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:02 pm

Daz wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:27 pm
BrobyDDark wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:24 pm
calamityCons wrote:
I only settle disagreements with the long held tradition of duel by Connect Four.
HOW CAN I PRACTICE MY KINNIKU-BUSTER IF I'M PLAYING CONNECT-FOUR?

paladinnertime

Post by paladinnertime » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:50 am

BrobyDDark wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:13 pm
JakeMorph wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:42 pm
aspiringWatcher wrote:

I don't think Dirk is CAPABLE of getting close to John, considering John represents everything he can only be by hijacking the story.

John is The Guy. The single most important person in Homestuck. Without his existence, Homestuck would not happen, in-universe. He's the only reason Dirk exists in the capacity he does. He's the only reason Dirk can maintain his control on the narrative. Dirk wouldn't be able to get close to John without trying to tear him down or getting all too envious to be around him.

Dirk clings to Jake because he is singlehandedly the least important person in the entirety of the comic, bar none. Not even Nepeta is less-important, because she at least represents a part of the fanbase in a form that isn't overly mocking and almost affectionate. Jake is easy to manipulate and matters NONE to the events of the comic. Also, apparently his ass is nice enough to single-handedly sell merch to billions, sooo.

John, on the other hand, effects the narrative with every action he does. Even when he's not on screen. And he has the balls to go out and do shit just to make sure it gets done. He determines entire battles, even though he's not the strongest. You can look at John just take out a Hammer and say "yep. We either win this fight, or win the war. That fucker's too great to die." Him not being around makes everything go to shit, instantly. Happened in Act6 and is why the retcon is necessary, happens between the epilogues and is why everyone is so estranged, him going off to fight English is what lets Dirk cause so much havoc, him disappearing for long periods of time is what lets Jane go full psycho.

Also, I don't think Dirk is interested in anything but wannabe-rugged-hunks.

John is so powerful he survived for days with that tooth in his chest it wasnt until he left canon and returned to earth C that he actually died

Also apparently a really unpopular opinion but i really like genderfluid John because of how it ties back into Dr. Ragnarok but through loki rather than thor
So like do highbloods just love milk or what?

SbIUsedToKnow

Post by SbIUsedToKnow » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:55 pm

Y'all like babies. Watch this:

DirkRose is an ok ship.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:08 pm

John and Jade 100% fucked during the journey!

aspiringWatcher
Pronouns: he/they
Classpect: Allegedly Scribe of Life
Moon: Prospit

Post by aspiringWatcher » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:10 pm

thorondraco wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:08 pm
John and Jade 100% fucked during the journey!
Three years isn't canon, wake up.
The world is vast and full and wonders, no matter what they tell you.

mrnobody

Post by mrnobody » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:07 pm

I've actually said it a couple of times, but this is a better place to say it, the epillogues are better than homestuck proper but homestuck^2, so far has been worse than homestuck proper.
(i dunno how unpopular this opinion acually is)
Also i'm new in this forum and just saw the smiles so:
:cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :lemon: :andrew: :mutie: :orange: :professor: :apple: :lime: :lemon: :nepball: :rorb: :pleasant: :mystified: :distraught: :mystified: :relaxed: :detestful: :mutie: :mutie: :candy: :professor: :orange: :mutie: :rosecool: :pumpkin: :andrew: :andrew: :andrew: :acceptant: :detestful: :devious: :discontent: :ecstatic: :mirthful: :perky: :relaxed: :vigorous: :distraught: :amazed: :amazed3d: :bemused: :chummy: :acceptant: :vigorous: :relaxed: :perky: :distraught: :amazed: :amazed3d: :bemused: :chummy: :distraught: :distraught3d: :insolent: :mystified: :pleasant: :pranky: :tense: :cool: :kitty: :what: :cool3d: :candycorn: :olliesouty: :cal: :jadesob: :andrew: :nepball: :andrew: :andrew: :andrew: :andrew: :andrew: :rorb: :nepball: :nepball: :nepball: :nepball: :nepball: :nepball: :nepball: :rorb: :rorb: :rorb: :rorb: :rosecool: :rosecool: :rosecool: :rosecool: :rosecool: :mutie: :lemon: :lime: :apple: :apple: :lime: :lemon: :lime: :apple: :lemon: :lime: :apple: :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy: :meat: :meat: :meat: :meat: :meat: :candy: :meat: :candy: :meat: :orange: :candy: :meat: :pumpkin: :professor:

EDIT: complete respect to the teams that made all homestuck related content, i just havent liked hs^2 so far, can't quite explain why yet, i could eplain why i like the epillogues, tho, but honestly it has all to do with themes, self-consistency (not with homestuck proper), and some other pretentious stuff, and not most of the things people criticize them for, for which i pretty much don't like

Roxy
Classpect: Mage of Mind

Post by Roxy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:56 am

The alphas kinda sucked :/
Like a lot :/
Besides roxy :mutie:

Like i wouldve loved to see young dad as opposed to fascist crockerbitch, and literally anyone but dirk wouldve been pretty cool. Jake. Was literally useless. The whole time. Nothing he did had any standing effects and all he actually did was cry over dirk
They were all really horribly made

‘Sides the lalonde :mutie:
I don't know dude, i just- I just drink blood dude
I'm going to dismantle the concept of government

egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath
Moon: Derse

Post by egg » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:46 am

Roxy wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:56 am

fascist crockerbitch
Jane was not really fascist until the epilogues.
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:39 pm

did you just skip the whole robot mind control arc
mod on the mspa wiki