Feferi Is Problematic?

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
JakeMorph

Re: Feferi Is Problematic?

Post by JakeMorph » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:09 am

calamityCons wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:55 am
I suppose my misunderstanding stems from the bizarre behavior the entire collection of troll kids we see never even once interact with a grownup as far as I know. I had misunderstood the initial No Adults on Alternia thing and I understand that better now, but I still find it utterly bizarre that not only is Alternia the only planet where kids seem to be, they are incapable of contacting anyone off planet.
the fact that Alternia is the only planet with kids on it is deliberate. it's never explicitly stated to be the case, but I always saw the banishing of the adults from Alternia as the condesce making sure future rebels didn't have access to the reproductive hub of the empire, since so much of the empire's status quo relies on strict regulation of breeding. this theme runs through into the epilogues, so I get the impression andrew might have had this in mind even if it isn't explicitly evoked in the original text.

i think the fact that children and adults rarely communicate is less because They Literally Can't and more just because of the nature of the comic. john supposedly lives in a neighbourhood full of other families, but only seems to know his dad and the people he knows online. in terms of hiveswap stuff, kids on alternia actually DO interact with adults: the (a?) grand highblood communicates with a clowngregation of children in chahut's friendsim episode.
Sollux or other super hackers that might exist have the ability to make it impossible for the government to do shit to them through EMP Generation or other analog methods of cyber security. Why don’t they? If they do, where are they?
i think this line of thinking relies on the assumption that Alternian technology all works the same as earth technology does, which it visibly doesn't. a majority of it seems to be organic (therefore probably not affected by EMPs in the same way our electronics are, for example), and whatever direct interaction sollux is capable of performing with his powers is just as easily going to be countered by someone on the other side. just like real life!

i'm thinking this is probably a new thread at this point but im not even sure what such a thread would be called? General Alternia Discussion?
mod on the mspa wiki

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:59 am

JakeMorph wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:09 am
calamityCons wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:55 am
I suppose my misunderstanding stems from the bizarre behavior the entire collection of troll kids we see never even once interact with a grownup as far as I know. I had misunderstood the initial No Adults on Alternia thing and I understand that better now, but I still find it utterly bizarre that not only is Alternia the only planet where kids seem to be, they are incapable of contacting anyone off planet.
the fact that Alternia is the only planet with kids on it is deliberate. it's never explicitly stated to be the case, but I always saw the banishing of the adults from Alternia as the condesce making sure future rebels didn't have access to the reproductive hub of the empire, since so much of the empire's status quo relies on strict regulation of breeding. this theme runs through into the epilogues, so I get the impression andrew might have had this in mind even if it isn't explicitly evoked in the original text.

i think the fact that children and adults rarely communicate is less because They Literally Can't and more just because of the nature of the comic. john supposedly lives in a neighbourhood full of other families, but only seems to know his dad and the people he knows online. in terms of hiveswap stuff, kids on alternia actually DO interact with adults: the (a?) grand highblood communicates with a clowngregation of children in chahut's friendsim episode.
Sollux or other super hackers that might exist have the ability to make it impossible for the government to do shit to them through EMP Generation or other analog methods of cyber security. Why don’t they? If they do, where are they?
i think this line of thinking relies on the assumption that Alternian technology all works the same as earth technology does, which it visibly doesn't. a majority of it seems to be organic (therefore probably not affected by EMPs in the same way our electronics are, for example), and whatever direct interaction sollux is capable of performing with his powers is just as easily going to be countered by someone on the other side. just like real life!

i'm thinking this is probably a new thread at this point but im not even sure what such a thread would be called? General Alternia Discussion?
As the fuschias seem ot be the rulers of torlls and the rarest breed by far discussing feferi kinda leads to discussing alterna. Which is why it kinda sucks that she dies and doesn't come back.

TH4NK YOU B3N
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Mage of Heart
Moon: Prospit

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:41 am

This post is over two years old, but I think it holds up.

Look at that! There's the spade symbol.

I don't think this will change anybody's opinion, but it's still neat.
only bad takes here

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:09 am

TH4NK YOU B3N wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:41 am

This post is over two years old, but I think it holds up.

Look at that! There's the spade symbol.

Its like what Kanaya said. She had good intentions but she may well have become a tyrant herself in her own way if no one reigns her in. Its literally what happened to Jane. It probably mean that Beforus was probably a tyranny all on its own but with a softer hand.

Feferi was likely in conflict with her sense of superiority that was probably hammered into her by her upbringing. But rather than acknowledge and work through it she tries to surpress it. And nothing ever good comes from suppression.

egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath
Moon: Derse

Post by egg » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:21 am

TH4NK YOU B3N wrote:

I like the idea. I think it certainly makes sense.
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

TH4NK YOU B3N
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Mage of Heart
Moon: Prospit

Post by TH4NK YOU B3N » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:47 am

egg wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:21 am
TH4NK YOU B3N wrote:

I like the idea. I think it certainly makes sense.
To be honest, my reaction to the post right now is "haha, little girl with a crush can't place her feelings," since the foreshadowing has already paid off.

But, considering that Vriska and the Auto-Responder (Dirk) also have that in common, maybe she really is problematic... /joke
only bad takes here