Ridiculous Unintentional Foreshadowing

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
xeno
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Knight of Light or Rage
Moon: Prospit

Ridiculous Unintentional Foreshadowing

Post by xeno » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Pretty much what the title says, basically anything which seems like it could have been foreshadowing, but was too bizarre to possibly be intentional.

For example:
The beatboxing in Nepeta's Theme foreshadowed Davepeta.
"Love should be abolished..."
-Garlic, Book of Mario 64

MorganMustDie
Pronouns: f

Re: Ridiculous Unintentional Foreshadowing

Post by MorganMustDie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:29 pm

Hussie has said in the past that his foreshadowing works both ways, so things such as him saying that the Colonel Sassacre book was "big enough to kill a cat" likely wasn't intended to directly foreshadow something, he just looked back at it later and thought "I can make a joke out of this."

Ergo, I'm submitting the time he said the Colonel Sassacre book was big enough to kill a cat.
Image Perfection.

xeno
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Knight of Light or Rage
Moon: Prospit

Post by xeno » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:33 pm

MorganMustDie wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:29 pm
the time he said the Colonel Sassacre book was big enough to kill a cat.
I remember bringing that up on Reddit a while back and everyone telling me it was definitely intentional. I never believed it was.
"Love should be abolished..."
-Garlic, Book of Mario 64

MorganMustDie
Pronouns: f

Post by MorganMustDie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:58 pm

xeno wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:33 pm
I remember bringing that up on Reddit a while back and everyone telling me it was definitely intentional. I never believed it was.
I'm pretty sure you can be confident that Hussie wasn't ambling his way through the first hundred pages of Homestuck and thought "you know what? 5000 pages from now, I'm gonna kill a cat. I should foreshadow that."
Image Perfection.

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:05 am

90% confident the cat crushing thing was stated as backwards foreshadowing somewhere in the book commentary?

but does backwards foreshadowing really count as "unintentional foreshadowing" if the hindshadowing was intentional?? pretty much anything could go in this thread in that case. like the cursor hand that moves john's cake right at the beginning foreshadowing his constant connection to ghostly hands throughout the story.
mod on the mspa wiki