Homestuck Music

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
candleWick
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Douche of Light
Moon: Prospit

Homestuck Music

Post by candleWick » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:43 pm

I've been wanting to get into the music scene, specifically fan albums, and was curious what DAWs, programs, ect. those who know a lot would recommend!

lavendersiren
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Mage of Light
Moon: Derse

Re: Homestuck Music

Post by lavendersiren » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:05 am

When it comes to making music, I use three programs in particular:

Winjammer professional
you could probably replace this with whatever midi sequencer of choice, but I like this one because it has everything you need out of a midi sequencer and runs incredibly well, thanks to being designed for much older machines. The staff view option doesn't work on newer machines, due to the program expecting the fonts to be in a different directory, but it isn't too bad, since there is a configurable piano roll. I don't think a legit copy of this program can be found anymore however.
A freeware alternative that I often suggest is called Sekaiju.

Synthfont
This is a pretty decent one if you just wanna slap some soundfonts onto some midis. There's synthfont 1 and 2, 2 costs money but its not too expensive and it gets p frequent updates. The guy who works on it also maintains viena (a soundfont creation software) if I remember correctly. That may also be of use, though its hella complicated in comparison. Synthfont you can just load up a midi, assign some soundfonts, maybe apply a reverb vst, and then render the thing.
If you value your computer's life, don't try to play a black midi live in this thing.

OpenMPT
This is the tracker to end all trackers. Granted, the format is a bit dated, and the creator has vowed to never add a piano roll to it ever, but it works excellently and it is absolutely free. You can also throw soundfonts at it, but you'll need to configure whatever the heck they get converted into to make the most of them. The output from this program tends to loop better, though it expects you to get your hands a little dirty with fine tuning. Its really great to import midis into. You may want to edit some things about the resulting import however, it often adds one more line at the end to shut off all the instruments at the end which can mess up the looping ever so slightly, though its easy to fix.

As for what you should use, you should try out every piece of software you get your grubby little hands on.
Some honorable mentions include super mario paint, famitracker, famistudio, and a handful of others.
Image Image

candleWick
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Douche of Light

Post by candleWick » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:00 pm

Dude, thanks so much! I really appreciate it!

dzwonki2023

Post by dzwonki2023 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:46 am

Thanks for sharing.
Download free ringtones at Nope.

Mod Note: banned, but kept here for context

itsyaboybigBerd
Pronouns: BRUH
Classpect: Bard of Mind

Post by itsyaboybigBerd » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:10 am

I've used Mixcraft 5 and 6, those were the best experience I've had with DAWs. I think Acoustica is on Mixcraft 14 by now, but I currently use Ableton Live 11, the Lite version came free with my interface (a Scarlett Focusrite, real simple XLR and 7mm to USB hardware )and it's okay I guess. It's better than Audacity. If you have a lot of time all at once to figure out the software and create content, you can get pretty far with the free trials available on the website. Some give you a week.

I remember making an entire mashup album on an expired demo of Mixcraft. It would let you use the program p much to its fullest but didn't allow you to export the file to audio so I would just set up the track, take my computer's audio recorder to capture the stereo mix and just play it once through. Probably still do-able but this was like 15 years ago.

Also really depends on what you're trying to do.
I'd like some suggestions as far as fan music goes.
I'm really into curricle, but not really sure what good shit is in the deeper pockets of Homestuck.

ps thanx for the bump, shitbot
i musta missed this thread before.

ForkOfSpoon
Pronouns: she/they
Classpect: mage of space

Post by ForkOfSpoon » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:58 am

i personally use a version of flstudio 21's signature bundle i found on the internet archive (64bit to speed up export times), a bunch of soundfonts from musical artifacts, and some vsts found for free across the web!
music production isn't all about the software, but it's a good idea to ask around where to start :3

Code: Select all

i've used php AND javascript to make a mspa viewer. i love web development
:professor: