JUNE EGBERT IS EPIC AND DANCES ON THE GRAVE OF CANON

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
Nep
Pronouns: Any (Genderfluid)
Classpect: Rogue of Heart
Moon: Derse

Re: JUNE EGBERT IS EPIC AND DANCES ON THE GRAVE OF CANON

Post by Nep » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:17 pm

MorganMustDie wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:09 pm
RoyalFiddle wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:06 pm
So June egbert was a fan-canon, which I think stemmed from the epilogues? That John was Trans-coded. So when Hussie's "Find a Broberlone, Make a Wish" event happened, one of the people who found the Tolberone decided that they wanted to make June canon. Hussie obliged, but it's unclear at present if it's a "48 Squiddles/Fatska" canon or not

Anyone who wants, feel free to correct anything I got wrong
I dunno if it was particularly "trans-coded," but it was certainly "identity issues"-coded, which I think is a distinction a lot of people tend to blur the lines on :/
By identity issues you mean the whole bottled up trauma of sburb? The whole retcon thingy, you know which implies his friends aren't his real friends and all that kind of stuff.
Forum's Certified Nep. :nepball: || Rogue of Heart

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:19 pm

MorganMustDie wrote:
RoyalFiddle wrote:
So June egbert was a fan-canon, which I think stemmed from the epilogues? That John was Trans-coded. So when Hussie's "Find a Broberlone, Make a Wish" event happened, one of the people who found the Tolberone decided that they wanted to make June canon. Hussie obliged, but it's unclear at present if it's a "48 Squiddles/Fatska" canon or not

I dunno if it was particularly "trans-coded," but it was certainly "identity issues"-coded, which I think is a distinction a lot of people tend to blur the lines on :/
I think people are way too eager to jump on that, literally every character in this comic has identity issues at some point.

MorganMustDie
Pronouns: f

Post by MorganMustDie » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:24 pm

Nep wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:17 pm
By identity issues you mean the whole bottled up trauma of sburb? The whole retcon thingy, you know which implies his friends aren't his real friends and all that kind of stuff.
I think lots of people are very quick to jump on any mention of "I'm kinda lost, I don't know who I am, I have issues with myself and how I think" as trans-coding, which is a perfectly valid and understandable interpretation, but certainly not the ONLY valid and understandable interpretation

John in the Epilogues deals with a lot of that kind of personal listlessness, feeling lost as himself, not knowing where he's going, and struggling to come to terms with the fact that "hey, I might not be okay." I'm sure lots of trans people read that and related to that kind of struggle, which is likely why the idea of June Egbert started popping up from. However, I don't think people with other interpretations - especially those who related to epilogue John through different lenses of internal struggle - should be treated with any less validity
Image Perfection.

Nep

Post by Nep » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:25 pm

:mutie:
Darth_Energon wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:19 pm
MorganMustDie wrote:
RoyalFiddle wrote:

I think people are way too eager to jump on that, literally every character in this comic has identity issues at some point.
Like Davesprite and the whole "I'm not the alpha dave stuff" or Rose and her liquor issues.

egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath

Post by egg » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:28 pm

It is my personal opinion that anyone who wishes to see any character as anything will be able to, given enough mental effort. That John happens to have a convenient arc for it only made matters easier.
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

heroboof
Pronouns: he/him/his
Classpect: rogue of heart

Post by heroboof » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:49 pm

I think it's also important to note that Hussie knew about and was in favor of June Egbert for some time before the Toblerone Event. It wasn't "You found my magic candy so this is now ~*~Objectively Canon~*~", but more like "Hey, you found the geocache I set out and posted about it while mentioning a headcanon people close to me have been talking about for a while and that I think is a cool and valid interpretation of the character, I'm going to make a good-faith joke about it now."
The Toblerone isn't what made June "canon", but rather a large section of the fandom accepting her as....

Well, as
True to Egbert's character and history,
Relevant to the story going forward and to modern society, and
Essential to interpreting Homestuck's fanbase in the modern-day.

Kind of like how a huge chunk of fandom accepted Dave's middle name being "Elizabeth", even though there's no textual evidence.

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Re: JUNE EGBERT DANCES ON THE GRAVE OF CANON

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:12 pm

MorganMustDie wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:21 pm
june egbert is the WORST HEADCANON TO EVER GRACE HOMESTUCK because it DOESN'T FIT THE CHARACTER AT ALL
I don't care if its ironic or joking or whatever, this. So much this.
So many reasons of June's justication are things like "feeling disconnected with the things around him" and the like, but they are ignoring context so much its actually hilarious. He feels disconnected/weird with himself because of his aspect and , (specially), his retcon powers. They literally make him get out of the narrative and, therefore, the comic and everything it involves, including the people around him.
So yeah, I really don't like June.
:rosecool:

heroboof

Post by heroboof » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:14 pm

aspartametears wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:14 pm
dont be mean!!!!!!!!
failed step one, bud.

MorganMustDie

Post by MorganMustDie » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:17 pm

Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:12 pm
So many reasons of June's justication are things like "feeling disconnected with the things around him" and the like, but they are ignoring context so much its actually hilarious. He feels disconnected/weird with himself because of his aspect and , (specially), his retcon powers. They literally make him get out of the narrative and, therefore, the comic and everything it involves, including the people around him.
Okay but as someone who likes to disassemble art and stuff I think you're very much getting swept up in the "curtains are blue" debate here
Sure, on a LITERAL level that's where John's discomfort stems from, but in writing this complex - especially homestuck, where shit like this happens all the time - there's absolutely more layers to what's being said with John in the epilogues

Just taking his struggle at face value and not reading any deeper character merit into it is a pretty cringe interpretation bro
Image Perfection.

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:00 am

MorganMustDie wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:17 pm
Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:12 pm
Okay but as someone who likes to disassemble art and stuff I think you're very much getting swept up in the "curtains are blue" debate here
Sure, on a LITERAL level that's where John's discomfort stems from, but in writing this complex - especially homestuck, where shit like this happens all the time - there's absolutely more layers to what's being said with John in the epilogues

Just taking his struggle at face value and not reading any deeper character merit into it is a pretty cringe interpretation bro
What deep are you talking about? If we go deeper, we could say John's disconnection is because of gender confusion? If so, wouldn't it make the retcon powers the source of them? And if they are, what kind of, stupid, implications does it has?
Or maybe you're not saying that. Maybe you're saying that his retcon powers are but an excuse to explore this difficult theme? But if so, wouldn't that lead us to the same conclusion?
But you could say these are not related at all! That would make sense, probably. Or maybe not? We should see how John ended in this situation first, shouldn't we? It was, iirc, because everyone started doing their own things and he felt left alone because he didn't want to interfere, to bother them. This is something that an introvert, or someone who's on the firsts steps of depression, might think (been there, done that), and the fact that you're linking it to clear sings of having gender disphoria is, imo, kind of stupid. Wouldn't it make everyone who's depressed like that? Of course it wouldn't, that would be plain stupid. Maybe one is linked to the other, but not the other way around, but that is on normal circumstances, not in an scenario where the guy suffering from this is literally disconnected from canon itself. This fact kind of changes how you see the situation, after all.
You could also say its an excuse to justify it. A way for the writers to explain in an in world concept why this character has changed. But this idea is flawed by its nature itself, because retcon powers were made before this idea was brought to the table, and the trans thing was brought based on that concept. This means that, when using it as a reason to further this kind of story, you're ignoring all that happened before John had this powers, you're basically ignoring his whole backstory.
So anyway, I don't have a problem with the concept itself. I'm basically up for anything. What I have a problem with is the way they could justify it. To make June canon, they should show it gradually, and with a plan in mind. If they do it that way on H^2 then I will gladly accept June. If not, it will suck duck dick.
:rosecool:

nonsenseMnemonic
Pronouns: he/him

Post by nonsenseMnemonic » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:06 am

I don't really think trans characters need to be justified, nor do I think there needs to be one true reason for John's feelings of disconnect. It can be retcon powers and gender incongruence. Saying "this development has trans parallels" doesn't mean "this development should exclusively be interpreted as a trans story."

MorganMustDie

Post by MorganMustDie » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:07 am

Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:00 am

A whole lot of longwinded shit by mister Rabogolfo
What you're describing here is "my personal perception of the events in canon, coupled with my own personal understanding, has sculpted this interpretation of the character."

What doesn't make sense to you as signs of gender dysphoria or otherwise might make perfect sense to someone else with different life experience. This is what makes different interpretations of the same characters an interesting topic to discuss and think about okay thank you :chummy:
Image Perfection.

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time
Moon: Prospit

Post by RoyalFiddle » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:08 am

I don't think it's ever gonna show up in the comic, Egbert is pretty dead and while they are a chekov's body, I don't think they will come back as Egbert. I see the whole June thing as a way for Hussie to please some fans (Which is perfectly admirable) and nothing more, currently.

Boil it down, it's something for the fans, and not something that needs to be so crazily important like we've all made it
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

Nep

Post by Nep » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:09 am

You have to consider a lot of things don't fit. First thing is that he's a kid, also we saw his entire childhood. So there's that too and finally his dissociation and identity bullshit is because of so much bottled up stuff. Were literally speaking about the same guy who saw his fathers corpse. For me it sounds more like someone with a lot of unhealthy issues coupled with depression.

egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath

Post by egg » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:10 am

I foresee this thread being locked very soon in the immediate future, if this is what we've already gotten to.
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

heroboof

Post by heroboof » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:10 am

you can be trans AND depressed.

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:13 am

heroboof wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:10 am
you can be trans AND depressed.
You can also just be depressed

MorganMustDie

Post by MorganMustDie » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:13 am

Everyone Has Different Lives And That Means Their Opinions Change: The Thread

can we please just get along and post pictures of this nerd with long hair please
Image Perfection.

Robot_Face
Pronouns: They/them
Classpect: Mage of Mind

Post by Robot_Face » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:13 am

Personally, I think June is awesome. If you're present on Homestuck Twitter you'd have seen all the June hype shortly after the epilogues. Several what pumpkin members were tweeting about how much Andrew liked the June headcanon, and how he'd excitedly text them pages from Homestuck that supported the theory. And that was all before the toblerones were even a thing.

Darth_Energon wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:19 pm
Yeah, and literally every character in the comic is trans. What's your point?
ARquiusprite enclosed
Show

heroboof

Post by heroboof » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:15 am

Robot_Face wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:13 am
Yeah, and literally every character in the comic is trans. What's your point?
finally someone says it. thanks for pointing that out, it's an important fact that got lost in the shuffle.