Unpopular Opinions Thread

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
gutza1
Pronouns: Male
Classpect: Mage of Space
Moon: Prospit

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Post by gutza1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:59 am

I personally think the Trickster arc was a hilarious bout of craziness.

Boter
Classpect: Gent of Piss
Moon: Derse

Post by Boter » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:15 pm

I have read "ArchmageIsACat's" post and now I must agree, John repressing his homosexuality would actually make a lot of sense in the context of Homestuck. Personally I'll be looking forward to Homestuck 2 making it (dubiously) canon. XD

As for my own unpopular opinion: I actually preferred the old Sonic Movie design! He looked like a cute opossum.
A reckoning shall not be postponed indefinitely. Like comment and subscribe.

arachnidsGrip
Pronouns: They/Them
Classpect: Page of Light

Post by arachnidsGrip » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:39 pm

Royaute wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:30 pm
ThePungeonMaster wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:28 pm
While I have no firsthand experience on the matter, I've heard that it wasn't because people got upset that he retracted the joke, but because the people defending the joke did it in really poor taste, bordering on racist. Not to mention the joke wasn't funny in the first place. Also, unless I'm mistaken, Hussie has said that there really is no real cannon skin tone for the kids (as meaningless as that phrase is), and while I'm sure most people interpret them as white, I don't have an issue with artists interpreting them as black until race starts to bleed into the comic itself.
You're under 18 years old, so I really don't feel I have to take you seriously.
Man, are you serious? Using age as a means to avoid discussion? That's so shitty, especially considering that they're literally a single year off of 18, and it's a 16+ forum. Come on.

gutza1

Post by gutza1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:07 pm

arachnidsGrip wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:39 pm
Royaute wrote:
ThePungeonMaster wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:28 pm
While I have no firsthand experience on the matter, I've heard that it wasn't because people got upset that he retracted the joke, but because the people defending the joke did it in really poor taste, bordering on racist. Not to mention the joke wasn't funny in the first place. Also, unless I'm mistaken, Hussie has said that there really is no real cannon skin tone for the kids (as meaningless as that phrase is), and while I'm sure most people interpret them as white, I don't have an issue with artists interpreting them as black until race starts to bleed into the comic itself.
Man, are you serious? Using age as a means to avoid discussion? That's so shitty, especially considering that they're literally a single year off of 18, and it's a 16+ forum. Come on.
Please don't argue in this thread, I already reported the guy and that's enough.

arachnidsGrip
Pronouns: They/Them
Classpect: Page of Light

Post by arachnidsGrip » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:10 pm

gutza1 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:07 pm
arachnidsGrip wrote:
Royaute wrote:

Please don't argue in this thread, I already reported the guy and that's enough.
Yeah, you're right, I'm sorry. Just seeing people being discredited on age alone really bothers me.

aspiringWatcher
Pronouns: he/they
Classpect: Allegedly Scribe of Life

Post by aspiringWatcher » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:04 pm

Unpopular opinion: people are missing the point of the Epilogues.
The world is vast and full and wonders, no matter what they tell you.

Royaute
Classpect: Waste of Time

Post by Royaute » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:24 pm

arachnidsGrip wrote:
OK, Vriska stan.

Mod Edit: This user has been temporarily banned for gratuitous fight-picking.

Ralsei
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: rogue of hope

Post by Ralsei » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:51 pm

aspiringWatcher wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:04 pm
Is the point here is that observing the Homestuck universe made everything go to shit? If so that's the laziest way of introducing conflict I've ever seen.
check out my website vriskadidnothingwrong.com

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:00 pm

Ralsei wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:51 pm
aspiringWatcher wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:04 pm
Is the point here is that observing the Homestuck universe made everything go to shit? If so that's the laziest way of introducing conflict I've ever seen.
I think the point is that "we're not supposed to see the catastrophe that happens after someone opens the door", which ties into how the Epilogues are stated as "not required reading" for Homestuck. So "The game ends after a player opens the door", and people who don't care for the Epilogues can just ignore everything after that because it doesn't have to be read or matter? Something to that effect.

vi
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Prince of Light

Post by vi » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:18 pm

well i'm not entirely sure this is very unpopular, but davepetasprite and jade is such a cute ship! same with dirk and john. if you don't agree with me, at least read my reasoning:
NOTE: while this is more directed at flushed quadrants, i would also ship these as moirailss!
davepeta x jade:
ok so i can see why some people might not like this ship seeing as it's commonly viewed as something that nepeta wouldn't necessarily want to be apart of but honestly??? i can really see it working. we already know that davesprite and jade had a mostly successful relationship until they broke up, but davepetasprite kissing jade before killing her showed that they do still care about her a lot. also i find this ship to be very soft and cute, and i could definitely see them providing comfort for each other.

dirkjohn:
calm down dirkjake shippers.
anyways i ship this because i feel as if a break from each other would be beneficial for dirk and jake. their relationship has been,,,,, messy to say the least and i think it might be better for them to have some time away from each other. in my opinion, john could be great for dirk. he's very aware of everyone around him (something jake wasn't) and he could act as an anchor for dirk whenever he feels the immense stress of his splinters. dirkjake was kind of abusive and very unhealthy and i think dirk could realllllly use someone like john in his life.
xxxxxxxxxxxx
violetscorpiochaotic
messages are always open!
art insta: violet.dissasembled
xxxxxxxxxxxx

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage

Post by rookie1978 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:27 pm

Royaute wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:24 pm
arachnidsGrip wrote:
OK, Vriska stan.

Mod Edit: This user has been temporarily banned for gratuitous fight-picking.
hahahaha oh wow :andrew:

Leddy
Pronouns: Any (They/He/She)
Classpect: Sylph of Life

Post by Leddy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:31 pm

Thank you classpectanon.

Characters like Eridan, Vriska, and Gamzee are redeemable if done correctly, and I think that they should get a proper shot at redemption without getting retconned.
:mutie:

Javepeta connoisseur
Professional Jade Stan
Roxy, Jade, and Kanaya are the best Homestuck characters /thread

Katrinasis
Pronouns: She/Her
Classpect: Knight of Doom

Post by Katrinasis » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:42 pm

Not a huge fan of Dave. He's just okay.
:olliesouty: spades slick did nothing wrong and problem sleuth is better than homestuck :olliesouty:

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:27 am

I'm gonna come out and say it. Dirk wishes he could be as cool as Bro Strider was.

gutza1

Post by gutza1 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:29 am

BrobyDDark wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:27 am
I'm gonna come out and say it. Dirk wishes he could be as cool as Bro Strider was.
I feel like Dirk is kind of a tryhard and Bro actually does have a better "cool factor" despite his troubling tendancies.

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:19 am

gutza1 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:29 am
BrobyDDark wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:27 am
I feel like Dirk is kind of a tryhard and Bro actually does have a better "cool factor" despite his troubling tendancies.
Bro has his eccentricities, but is overall just casual about them. It's not "irony"- it's who he is, and he has fun with it. Dirk has to constantly build himself up as untouchable, then silently break it down just because that's what a cool dude would do. Definitely more tryhard.

And, in all honesty? Dadbert repeatedly assaulted his child with cakes and shaving cream. Sure, maybe swords were more dangerous and puppets are terrible mind games, but Bro is far from being alone in the "whackily assaults children with weird shit" category. Bro just comes off shitty when you break down his actions in relation to the real world. In comparison to a video game-style universe where fighting your guardian seems commonplace. So fuckin' chalk another one up for unpopular opinions. Bro is in the same category as Vriska and Eridan for characters who did nothing wrong :cool:

gutza1

Post by gutza1 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:35 am

One other thing I have to admit:

I can't help but get the feeling that the current fandom is becoming ever more toxic and insufferable since the Epilogues dropped. I feel like the Epilogues turned off most of the normal or casual fans of Homestuck, meaning that the only people still left in the fandom are the Homestuck equivalent of neckbeards who are into the esoteric ultra-postmodern tone of new Homestuck that repels casual fans. I honestly hate the idea that Homestuck is supposed to be a super-inaccessible galaxy brain work that normal people can't get into - despite it's trappings, it was still a story about internet friendship and growing up! I don't see why that should be so hard to relate to for normal people, and I hate how Hussie is now trying to make Homestuck as esoteric, alienating, and inaccessible as possible just to appeal to the Homestuck neckbeards that make up the most vocal fans. The modern Homestuck fandom feels exactly like the Rick and Morty fandom in 2017 - toxic, and convinced of its own intellectual superiority.

egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath

Post by egg » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:51 am

gutza1 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:35 am

I can't help but get the feeling that the current fandom is becoming ever more toxic and insufferable since the Epilogues dropped. I feel like the Epilogues turned off most of the normal or casual fans of Homestuck, meaning that the only people still left in the fandom are the Homestuck equivalent of neckbeards who are into the esoteric ultra-postmodern tone of new Homestuck that repels casual fans. I honestly hate the idea that Homestuck is supposed to be a super-inaccessible galaxy brain work that normal people can't get into - despite it's trappings, it was still a story about internet friendship and growing up! I don't see why that should be so hard to relate to for normal people, and I hate how Hussie is now trying to make Homestuck as esoteric, alienating, and inaccessible as possible just to appeal to the Homestuck neckbeards that make up the most vocal fans. The modern Homestuck fandom feels exactly like the Rick and Morty fandom in 2017 - toxic, and convinced of its own intellectual superiority.
The omegapause sheared off much of the fat of the fandom, and then when Homestuck ended pretty much everyone but the obsessives dropped out, so it makes sense really.
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:53 am

As one of those neckbeards that appeals to feeling smart when I write 5000 word essays on one particular asset of funny meme comic, I have to agree that there's an extremely niche part of the internet that Homestuck appeals to these days, and it leads into a gripe I've had with the fandom at large for awhile:

Over-analysis. Literally nothing wrong with it, of course. I love seeing people so passionate about a subject they break it down to its base atoms. But at some point I feel you could compile all of the analysis on Act 1 into a book and the content would be more than Homestuck currently has including HS2 and the Epilogues.

However, I still look forward to reading all the big walls of text on subjects I'm truly interested in and in which I hope to find people that confirm my specific viewpoints, no matter how long I have to search until I find it.

aspiringWatcher
Pronouns: he/they
Classpect: Allegedly Scribe of Life

Post by aspiringWatcher » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:39 pm

BrobyDDark wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:00 pm

I think the point is that "we're not supposed to see the catastrophe that happens after someone opens the door", which ties into how the Epilogues are stated as "not required reading" for Homestuck. So "The game ends after a player opens the door", and people who don't care for the Epilogues can just ignore everything after that because it doesn't have to be read or matter? Something to that effect.
The point is that "and they had a happy ever after" requires you not to pry into what happens in the "ever after". Things go to shit because of the observer's innate burning need for something to happen. That's a Pandora's box to you.
vi wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:18 pm

dirkjohn:
calm down dirkjake shippers.
anyways i ship this because i feel as if a break from each other would be beneficial for dirk and jake. their relationship has been,,,,, messy to say the least and i think it might be better for them to have some time away from each other. in my opinion, john could be great for dirk. he's very aware of everyone around him (something jake wasn't) and he could act as an anchor for dirk whenever he feels the immense stress of his splinters. dirkjake was kind of abusive and very unhealthy and i think dirk could realllllly use someone like john in his life.
Dirkjake was toxic af because neither of them bothered to work their issues out but at least Dirk can coexist peacefully with Jake in one reality seeing as GO!Dirk remained in a glitch mess instead of coming with John and UltDirk fucking permamurdered John over having a normal life. Would John be good for Dirk? Yes. (He's good for everyone.) Would Dirk be good for John? I don't really see how.
gutza1 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:35 am
I can't help but get the feeling that the current fandom is becoming ever more toxic and insufferable since the Epilogues dropped. <...>
looks at twitter's Tavroscourse bent

yeah no shit
The world is vast and full and wonders, no matter what they tell you.