Classes

Discuss Homestuck and related works such as Hiveswap, Pesterquest, Homestuck^2, and Problem Sleuth here!
Post Reply
User avatar
coruscatingChampion
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:49 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: ___ of Light
Moon: Derse
Contact:

Classes

Post by coruscatingChampion » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:52 pm

Do you guys think we'll ever get information about classes and how they relate to aspects? I know What Pumpkin is in kind of a weird place right now, but Extended Zodiac has already been out for 6 years (god I'm old). Is it just never gonna happen now that Hussie has completely divorced themself from Homestuck?
hi :)

User avatar
Kip
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:34 am
Classpect: Prince of Time
Moon: Prospit

Re: Classes

Post by Kip » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:53 pm

I'm also feeling extremely old. Man, 6 years? It HAS been a long time.

With Hussie divorcing themselves from Homestuck and the whole fiasco that occurred with Homestuck 2 I really don't think we'll see anything in the future that clarifies classpecting any more than what we've had since the end of Homestuck proper. Homestuck 2 was far less focused on the mechanics of the game as well. Even with what remains of the story, should they EVER actually release it, I doubt it would be enlightening.

Honestly, I think that like a lot of the SBURB mechanics it was always intended to be a bit vague. What's a metafiction without speculation, I guess! Makes for good fanfic and debate topics.

Who knows what the future holds, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

User avatar
coruscatingChampion
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:49 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: ___ of Light
Moon: Derse
Contact:

Re: Classes

Post by coruscatingChampion » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:52 am

Kip wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:53 pm
I'm also feeling extremely old. Man, 6 years? It HAS been a long time.

With Hussie divorcing themselves from Homestuck and the whole fiasco that occurred with Homestuck 2 I really don't think we'll see anything in the future that clarifies classpecting any more than what we've had since the end of Homestuck proper. Homestuck 2 was far less focused on the mechanics of the game as well. Even with what remains of the story, should they EVER actually release it, I doubt it would be enlightening.

Honestly, I think that like a lot of the SBURB mechanics it was always intended to be a bit vague. What's a metafiction without speculation, I guess! Makes for good fanfic and debate topics.

Who knows what the future holds, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
You're probably right. I was actually surprised they released as much information as they did about aspects, as I interpreted them to be less about "everyone sort yourselves into these groups and each group gets this set of abilities" and more about each individual's relation to the narrative. Kind of like a weird meta subversion of how that sort of thing usually works in fiction to go along with the whole "people don't have character arcs" thing.
It just kinda chafes at me because I can't stand ambiguity or non-concrete information lol.
hi :)

User avatar
Kip
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:34 am
Classpect: Prince of Time
Moon: Prospit

Re: Classes

Post by Kip » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:07 pm

You're probably right. I was actually surprised they released as much information as they did about aspects, as I interpreted them to be less about "everyone sort yourselves into these groups and each group gets this set of abilities" and more about each individual's relation to the narrative. Kind of like a weird meta subversion of how that sort of thing usually works in fiction to go along with the whole "people don't have character arcs" thing.
It just kinda chafes at me because I can't stand ambiguity or non-concrete information lol.
It really is annoying! I definitely subscribe to the narrative theory -- that SBURB is ultimately a reality-forming narrative-machine. Classpects are assigned to characters based on their placement within the narrative, and their actions are more informed by reacting to this driving force than actively changing it. (With the caveat being the more active classes do end up causing many of the narrative threads through their activities.)

I think understanding it through a narrative lens just ends up leaving less loose ends ends up being more satisfying.

I'm curious to know, what is your personal classpect, and why did you choose it?

User avatar
coruscatingChampion
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:49 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: ___ of Light
Moon: Derse
Contact:

Re: Classes

Post by coruscatingChampion » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:07 pm

Kip wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:07 pm

It really is annoying! I definitely subscribe to the narrative theory -- that SBURB is ultimately a reality-forming narrative-machine. Classpects are assigned to characters based on their placement within the narrative, and their actions are more informed by reacting to this driving force than actively changing it. (With the caveat being the more active classes do end up causing many of the narrative threads through their activities.)

I think understanding it through a narrative lens just ends up leaving less loose ends ends up being more satisfying.

I'm curious to know, what is your personal classpect, and why did you choose it?
I never really chose a class for myself. It didn't really feel right to do so with how limited our current understanding of classes is. My sibling said I should choose Witch because I have some superficial similarities to the witch trio from the comics, but I'm still not sure.

I chose Light as my aspect because the description on the extended zodiac page was such an accurate and specific description of my personality that I almost felt like I was being called out. lol

If classpect is decided by your role in the narrative, is it even possible to choose a classpect without also considering the roles of the people you would play with? Would you have to write out your entire session start to finish to determine how you would influence the narrative and how the narrative would affect you?

How did you choose yours?
hi :)

User avatar
coruscatingChampion
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:49 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: ___ of Light
Moon: Derse
Contact:

Re: Classes

Post by coruscatingChampion » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:08 pm

whoops formatting got weird there. sorry I'm on mobile
hi :)

User avatar
foreverFlummoxed
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:18 am
Location: Lurking in the basement I don't have
Pronouns: Call me w/e, idgaf
Classpect: Rogue of Light
Moon: Prospit
Contact:

Re: Classes

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:27 pm

Classes are definitely an interesting part of the classpect to approach with aspects being covered but the other half not as much. Looking from the narrative angle i suppose aspects could be seen as the "genre"/type of influence one could have on the narrative while the class could be akin to the way in which one could bring about change or react whithin the narrative.


(noticed your formatting hiccup, looks like you added an extra "<quote>" without having an end "</quote>" so the details of the first quote were applied overall while the undetailed quote applied/paired to the first end quote.)
FF: Personally, I think my skills are near-mediocre at best. that's really all there is to say on the matter.

FF: I couldn't figure out how to get it in the profile field so here's my YouTube channel

User avatar
Kip
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:34 am
Classpect: Prince of Time
Moon: Prospit

Re: Classes

Post by Kip » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:43 am

foreverFlummoxed wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:27 pm
Classes are definitely an interesting part of the classpect to approach with aspects being covered but the other half not as much. Looking from the narrative angle i suppose aspects could be seen as the "genre"/type of influence one could have on the narrative while the class could be akin to the way in which one could bring about change or react whithin the narrative.


(noticed your formatting hiccup, looks like you added an extra "<quote>" without having an end "</quote>" so the details of the first quote were applied overall while the undetailed quote applied/paired to the first end quote.)
Even with it being half-understood, Classpecting is such a genuinely inspired and fun take on a Meta-structures (like Hogwarts houses, or whatever,) because it really doesn't box anyone into inherent roles, like JK's awful houses system does. It really allows for free interpretation and messing with the mechanics of the world and its systems. It's very Homestuck-y in that way.

itsyaboybigBerd
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:29 am
Location: MA USA
Pronouns: BRUH
Classpect: Bard of Mind

Re: Classes

Post by itsyaboybigBerd » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:37 am

What I like about the classpects is the two-dimensional potential for development it provides.

As a kiddo, my favorite television show ever was Digimon; anime in general was on the cutting-edge of Bringing Plot to Children's Shows back then, but Digimon had easily some of the best character development of all of it. In particular, each of the seven Chosen Children had a crest associated with them, which represented a character trait that they would have to realize to complete their arc so their Digital Monster partner would become stronger and beat the bad guy.

Some of these aspects were straightforward, like the hard-headed leader having the Crest of Courage, but most were more subversive than that, like the prude rich girl having the crest of Sincerity and the 2cool2hang lonerboy with the Crest of Friendship.

It's corny, yeah, but even revisiting the series I can say most arcs were quite well executed. Circling back to Homestuck, there is so much you can do with the twelve aspects and fourteen(+?) classes. The HS canon doesn't take full advantage of this potential, but such is the nature of Hussie's opus.

Though fairly loosely defined, Class is implicative of character/personality traits, whereas Aspect is more about your superpowers and role in the game. but that's just my $0.02

User avatar
Kip
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:34 am
Classpect: Prince of Time
Moon: Prospit

Re: Classes

Post by Kip » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:08 am

itsyaboybigBerd wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:37 am
What I like about the classpects is the two-dimensional potential for development it provides.

As a kiddo, my favorite television show ever was Digimon; anime in general was on the cutting-edge of Bringing Plot to Children's Shows back then, but Digimon had easily some of the best character development of all of it. In particular, each of the seven Chosen Children had a crest associated with them, which represented a character trait that they would have to realize to complete their arc so their Digital Monster partner would become stronger and beat the bad guy.

Some of these aspects were straightforward, like the hard-headed leader having the Crest of Courage, but most were more subversive than that, like the prude rich girl having the crest of Sincerity and the 2cool2hang lonerboy with the Crest of Friendship.

It's corny, yeah, but even revisiting the series I can say most arcs were quite well executed. Circling back to Homestuck, there is so much you can do with the twelve aspects and fourteen(+?) classes. The HS canon doesn't take full advantage of this potential, but such is the nature of Hussie's opus.

Though fairly loosely defined, Class is implicative of character/personality traits, whereas Aspect is more about your superpowers and role in the game. but that's just my $0.02
I don't think that's a bad take in the slightest. Classes can be very indicative of what the narrative determines your personality or place within it should be/actively is. Aspect however, really does feel a bit like it is personally decided, beyond just superpowers (even if they're really fuckin cool.)

I remember this post has a good explanation that a lot of people have ran with: https://homestuck-classpects-explained. ... om/Aspects

I think they're onto something when they organize the sections into "Literal, Metaphorical, Rational, and Irrational" meanings of each aspect. People can get deep into interpretations about people's fears and inclinations and it really makes for an interesting system.

You're incredibly right when you say that its really here that Hussie succeeds with Homestuck's systems.

Post Reply