IS Act 8 good.

Discuss your favorite fanventures and fan projects here!
Momo
Pronouns: they/she
Classpect: Sylph of Rage

IS Act 8 good.

Post by Momo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:42 pm

Hi all, I do Act 8. Normally I am the type to keep my head down but I figured I would pop up here to ask you all the question that keeps me up at night: is act 8 good? In pursuit of that fugacious goodness, what does it need? If you have any questions of your own now is the time, and here is the place. Please. I have so many thoughts and no one to tell them to. Art is a prison.

Here are some Tempting Samples;
Spoiler
Show

Act 8 | The Rebornening
Dance in the ash and flames.

Sahxyel

Re: IS Act 8 good.

Post by Sahxyel » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:02 pm

Honestly for the longest time before Act Omegle gained traction I was subscribed to Act 8. I personally really liked the art, the direction of the story and its trajectory after A7, and ESPECIALLY how AltCalliope isn't framed to be overtly good. Last I heard though it was discontinued so I eventually pushed it out of mind while I indulged in alternate post-A7 stories.

I can see opening the story that it's no longer discontinued, though? Very cool if so, the cliffhanger with Karkat getting fucking stabbed by a mind-controlled Vriska was a hell of a place to stop.
:professor: Honeybee Professor Says: Problem Sleuth is better than Homestuck!

It's a mathematical fact!

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:15 pm

Oh god, yeah. That being the cliffhanger for two years was so utterly unintentional (I was evicted and then working 11hr days for abt 1.5 years, came back to the project this year after I stabilized my living situation) but at least it's further evidence my life is goddamn hilarious. Was my misfortune a sort of cosmic punishment for killing karkat? I am going to say yes.

The project is back in full force now, though this time I'm going it alone. I am even trying to get [S] Resolve finished and out by Christmas, but we will see if that's unreasonable. It's probably unreasonable.
Act 8 | The Rebornening

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom
Moon: Derse

Post by calamityCons » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:31 pm

I have only seen about ten pages and I am already in love with it omg.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

calamityCons

Post by calamityCons » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:39 pm

Oh my god you quoted Shinji's rant with John's rant in page 214 omg I love you and I love this story.

arachonteur
Pronouns: she/its
Classpect: Thief of Light
Moon: Prospit

Post by arachonteur » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:57 am

I was interested but gave up the moment I felt the winds shift in the direction of a Gamzee redemption arc, and then held out until the minute and a half long flash of Vriska beating the shit out of her friends. The art is good and the voices are pretty good, but playing your hand early with Gamzee redemption juxtaposed immediately against Vriska in heinous bitch mode, and then skipping forward a few hundred more pages to see her still in heinous bitch mode, sure does leave a bad taste in my mouth in a way that hasn't really washed out.
:professor: 2021 and I'm still the only person who's read Homestuck all the way through. :professor:

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:54 am

I understand. My feelings on Gamzee are hard for me to discuss. I can say that I know what it's like for a text to put you in that situation, and it sucks, and I'm sorry. I'm grateful that you gave it a chance.

For Vriska, I hope I can provide some reassurance. Act 8 might not always show her at her best behavior, but it's never occurred to me to give her a bad ending. She's a character I like, and I'm very invested in her happiness and sympathetic to her choices. More spoilery meta below;
Spoiler
Show
For me, what Vriska does here is completely motivated by a real concern for her friends, and a desire to prove to herself that Terezi wasn't wrong in saving her. She knows Terezi loves her but still hasn't internalized that she deserves that love unconditionally, or that she is capable of reciprocating it. My full intention is to get her to that point, gently, without having anything physically punishing or demeaning happening to her.
Act 8 | The Rebornening

austinado
Pronouns: he/they
Classpect: Thief of Breath

Post by austinado » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:26 am

calamityCons wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:39 pm
Oh my god you quoted Shinji's rant with John's rant in page 214 omg I love you and I love this story.
Oh hey, that was me actually. I helped make that a reality. I remember being very proud of myself, on top of a neverending sea of very shitty and very buff drawings of John that I made during group call drawpiles. A simpler time.

austinado
Pronouns: he/they
Classpect: Thief of Breath

Post by austinado » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:39 am

Act 8 was my first major forray into a legitimate Homestuck project and I will always consider it to be the first major thing that got me on the map and allowed me to do many other things, including writing and art work for Act Omega and even Vast Error as a whole. I'm very happy to see it continuing, because I had to put up the original scraps of the ending back in the day and it did not work out super well because I was working on loose/old information that didn't all fit together and that sucked.

I would be lying if I said I would personally do every single thing the comic sets out to do. But it isn't my story, I just enjoy helping make Momo's vision a reality. Because it's a good ass vision to have. I know she cares immensely about this story and these characters, and in this time of bridges and off-ramps, it's one bridge more than worth crossing.

Stream The Rebornening.

arachonteur
Pronouns: she/its
Classpect: Thief of Light

Post by arachonteur » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:25 am

Momo wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:54 am
I understand. My feelings on Gamzee are hard for me to discuss. I can say that I know what it's like for a text to put you in that situation, and it sucks, and I'm sorry. I'm grateful that you gave it a chance.

For Vriska, I hope I can provide some reassurance. Act 8 might not always show her at her best behavior, but it's never occurred to me to give her a bad ending. She's a character I like, and I'm very invested in her happiness and sympathetic to her choices. More spoilery meta below;
Spoiler
Show
For me, what Vriska does here is completely motivated by a real concern for her friends, and a desire to prove to herself that Terezi wasn't wrong in saving her. She knows Terezi loves her but still hasn't internalized that she deserves that love unconditionally, or that she is capable of reciprocating it. My full intention is to get her to that point, gently, without having anything physically punishing or demeaning happening to her.
That's good to know! I'll probably give it another shot soon, then.
:professor: 2021 and I'm still the only person who's read Homestuck all the way through. :professor:

sylvarn

Post by sylvarn » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:36 am

Oh man this was THE fanventure I liked the most before anything, probably got me hooked onto fanventures as a whole...

At least it's back! Looking forward to it.
im make FANTROLL (singular) and also roleplay on the internet

check out my tunes

calamityCons

Post by calamityCons » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:08 am

I personally am really happy with the direction this is going in, giving Gamzee and actual redemption. Reading through all of Gamzee's section early on literally brought me to tears, it really hit me in the heart and I'm really glad that Gamzee isn't being abandoned this time.

classpectanon
Site Admin
Pronouns: They/It
Classpect: Sylph of Light

Post by classpectanon » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:05 pm

i remember making a song for this so long ago! its a good fanventure, brent
I'm more easily reached at classpectanon#4228 on Discord. I will respond to reports faster there because PHPBB's notification system is borked and doesn't email me when you report things.

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time

Post by RoyalFiddle » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:33 pm

It's pretty good! Some parts of it feel kinda tropey, and other parts feel like it's there only to provide more kid drama, but overall it's good!
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

Post by 1011686 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:07 pm

Vriska shouldn't have won that fight.
I don't mean like, in terms of good narrative or her character arc or anything like that.
I mean I really don't think she realistically should have been able to win that fight against everyone else.
It strained my suspension of disbelief too much unlike the entirety of Homestuck which was completely believable

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:26 am

1011686 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:07 pm
Vriska shouldn't have won that fight.
I don't mean like, in terms of good narrative or her character arc or anything like that.
I mean I really don't think she realistically should have been able to win that fight against everyone else.
It strained my suspension of disbelief too much unlike the entirety of Homestuck which was completely believable
That's fair, it's an entirely indulgent segment that exists mostly because I enjoy animating. I think it's pretty corny to make excuses like this, but I meant it as comedic exaggeration of her typical good fortune (that is not actually all that good for her) more than a stoic depiction of what literally, definitely happened.

You are not the only one this was an obstacle for and I feel like I should be humbled or apologetic but the truth is I think everything about it is goddamn hilarious. Thank you for reading.
Act 8 | The Rebornening

ZingDev
Pronouns: Male

Post by ZingDev » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:51 am

I remember this! I also remember a group of friends wanting to do a Voice Acting project for it. Sadly, it didn't fall through because we all got too busy. but this was a fun read, if you're updating again, i'll be keeping up with it! :D

Daz

Post by Daz » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:42 pm

I really dig the parallel pesterlogs, that's a neat idea.

PilotBlackSmith
Location: Rio de Janeiro (Hell) - Brazil (Hell 2: Super Hell)
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Heir of Void

Post by PilotBlackSmith » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:26 pm

I read all 351 pages out and I think it's fine. I like the art(mostly after the beginning) but the character interactions remind me a lot of act 6, though the premise is still interesting, it feels very mysterious and I'm really interested in whats going to happen.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Khiara
Pronouns: She/Her
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by Khiara » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:05 am

GOSH how could I forgot to fav this one when I did read this like a long ago???

/otw to mspfa/

Anyway it's a great fan-continuation of Homestuck--and the art is awesome and refreshing! <3

"The Pir8's Daughter"

Visit my art gallery :
DeviantART