karkat goes to a convention IS good

Discuss your favorite fanventures and fan projects here!
OrionsAscendant
Classpect: Prince of Sand
Moon: Prospit

Re: karkat goes to a convention IS good

Post by OrionsAscendant » Wed May 20, 2020 10:17 pm

deadlyAdder wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:34 pm
OrionsAscendant wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:12 pm
I can't believe I've finally given KGTAC a second opinion.

I especially can't believe I liked it so much. I've been given the runaround. It has soul. It has charm. It has the long earnest discussion of controversial choices. It has egregious amounts of property damage. The convention-goers get very engaging once you give them time. What else could you ever want?
the only thing it's missing is sharpie bath water
KGTAC actually ACTUALLY ends by finding out that the entire convention area is actually being slowly dipped into a sea of sharpie bath water until a single person is left alive like the Fortnite storm.

Seven thousand trizillion boonseptims are fined in damages. This leads the way to KGTAC Epilogues, where around 200k pages are spent figuring out how a convention full of Homestuck cosplayers learn how to manage a fledgling economy.
[gets in my golfcar and caws away]Image

Hex Maniac Quinn
Pronouns: She/Her
Classpect: Sylph of Space

Post by Hex Maniac Quinn » Thu May 28, 2020 3:46 am

Cole wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:04 pm
TH4NK YOU B3N wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:43 pm
I appreciate the warnings for the usage of certain words, but you didn't warn for the fatphobia stuff. I'm not sure how to feel about the fanventure but I'm only a fifth of the way to your latest update.

I mean, it's definitely well-made.
if youre talking about how some cosplayers are a bit husky, then yes, fat people exist. just look at me.
I just started it and they may be referring to Karkat being initially bewildered at the cosplayers around him and pointing out a Fat Terezi, but like... there was nothing really insulting outside of noting her as being fat. So it's like, yeah, fat people exist (add me to the list here), and it's not a slur or anything to just say that we're fat.

Edit now that I've read the full thing tonight (up to the latest update I mean): I really like it! Dig your OCs, dig the concept. I especially took to the register-lady that found Jade. Will likely remember it and try to keep up with its progress. The whole debate on the R-word kind of got me heated though. Imma spoiler-tag my rant so peeps don't need to read it.

It's not because I think Karkat acted rationally or anything (and yeah, I actually found the sudden mean, spitefulness a little more heavy-handed and blunt than I tend to expect from his character), and it's not that I don't understand Stacy's protectiveness over her brother, but DAMN. As someone who is also autistic, I would have taken issue with the way Stacy handled that situation FAR before Karkat had his little meltdown.

I would say the same to my father or anyone else having protective feelings over me the same I would say to Stacy: that when I give the all-good, then that's the all-good and all there is to say on the matter. The person who says the r-word doesn't want to change, and the person who that word most-directly effects doesn't care or otherwise doesn't want to make an issue of it, then it is NOT in your place to MAKE IT an issue, ESPECIALLY not on said person's behalf when you are, in fact, acting against their wishes and effectively inconsiderately speaking over them. If I were in Jack's position, I would have choice words to say to her and let her CONTINUE to be in her little sulk-corner to reflect on the entire debacle. I was internally begging in that moment for Jack to not be so comforting and agreeable when I certainly had other shit I would have said. Of course, I understand Jack is a character on his own and not a stand-in for all autistic people, but in all honesty, if I am to relate my experiences to him, the only things worse than having someone step over your thoughts and opinions to do the exact opposite is to have them do so in your name, out of their consideration for you. I've experienced it time and time again not just as an autistic person, but as a woman, as a queer person... the same issue tends to come up, not gonna lie. I don't care that her concern was real, only that her actions, to me, is honestly what hurt the most.

And also the most recent *stomps out sand replica of Karkat's hive* was also pretty mean of Stacy too in that Karkat seemed so affected that he was having flashbacks or something as he was building it, so there's a bit here now that I'm not vibing with on her character, which is a shame because I've really been enjoying her otherwise.

Oof, hate that that drama took up so much space though. I really don't want to start anything here - just figured this would be a place to leave my two-cents.

Cole

Post by Cole » Sun May 31, 2020 9:48 pm

Hex Maniac Quinn wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:46 am
Cole wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:04 pm
TH4NK YOU B3N wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:43 pm
I appreciate the warnings for the usage of certain words, but you didn't warn for the fatphobia stuff. I'm not sure how to feel about the fanventure but I'm only a fifth of the way to your latest update.

I mean, it's definitely well-made.
if youre talking about how some cosplayers are a bit husky, then yes, fat people exist. just look at me.
I just started it and they may be referring to Karkat being initially bewildered at the cosplayers around him and pointing out a Fat Terezi, but like... there was nothing really insulting outside of noting her as being fat. So it's like, yeah, fat people exist (add me to the list here), and it's not a slur or anything to just say that we're fat.

Edit now that I've read the full thing tonight (up to the latest update I mean): I really like it! Dig your OCs, dig the concept. I especially took to the register-lady that found Jade. Will likely remember it and try to keep up with its progress. The whole debate on the R-word kind of got me heated though. Imma spoiler-tag my rant so peeps don't need to read it.

It's not because I think Karkat acted rationally or anything (and yeah, I actually found the sudden mean, spitefulness a little more heavy-handed and blunt than I tend to expect from his character), and it's not that I don't understand Stacy's protectiveness over her brother, but DAMN. As someone who is also autistic, I would have taken issue with the way Stacy handled that situation FAR before Karkat had his little meltdown.

I would say the same to my father or anyone else having protective feelings over me the same I would say to Stacy: that when I give the all-good, then that's the all-good and all there is to say on the matter. The person who says the r-word doesn't want to change, and the person who that word most-directly effects doesn't care or otherwise doesn't want to make an issue of it, then it is NOT in your place to MAKE IT an issue, ESPECIALLY not on said person's behalf when you are, in fact, acting against their wishes and effectively inconsiderately speaking over them. If I were in Jack's position, I would have choice words to say to her and let her CONTINUE to be in her little sulk-corner to reflect on the entire debacle. I was internally begging in that moment for Jack to not be so comforting and agreeable when I certainly had other shit I would have said. Of course, I understand Jack is a character on his own and not a stand-in for all autistic people, but in all honesty, if I am to relate my experiences to him, the only things worse than having someone step over your thoughts and opinions to do the exact opposite is to have them do so in your name, out of their consideration for you. I've experienced it time and time again not just as an autistic person, but as a woman, as a queer person... the same issue tends to come up, not gonna lie. I don't care that her concern was real, only that her actions, to me, is honestly what hurt the most.

And also the most recent *stomps out sand replica of Karkat's hive* was also pretty mean of Stacy too in that Karkat seemed so affected that he was having flashbacks or something as he was building it, so there's a bit here now that I'm not vibing with on her character, which is a shame because I've really been enjoying her otherwise.

Oof, hate that that drama took up so much space though. I really don't want to start anything here - just figured this would be a place to leave my two-cents.
yeah, get your drama out of here!! you want to have an in depth look at the characters of my comic????? well GEEEETT OOUUTT!!!!

no but really, i do appreciate all this. i completely understand what youre saying because its what i would have done in the same situation, but unfortunately, Jack as a character is a bit more like. well, he and his sister understand each other a lot, and so he understood more that she was just frustrated that she even got mad when Jack wasn't upset, and even went away. doesn't make what she did good though, and it sure doesn't mean karkat's fine either.

jack has confrontation issues when things don't seem as black and white, and when the subject is his own "well being", it's very grey in his eyes. however, if Stacey were to be in clear actual danger, he'd have no qualms standing up for her physically or verbally. but he needs to learn to take care of himself too, and what youre saying is great because thats really how a lot of these things should be looked at. then again, some people might not do the same thing.

also i will say, as fucking awful as the sand castle thing was to do, i was trying to really like. show that weird ass hyperness you get when youre too excited. the type that fucks other people over when youre not trying to. stacey however has a problem with thinking before saying, unlike jack. like yeah i guess its fine since she took a picture of the sandcastle thing, but is it really? you still fucked his hard work, and something sentimental.

anyway sorry if this was super lame to write to you about, i just like seeing actual discussion on these things and putting my thoughts on it because its fun to talk to people about this stuff.

something that might be interesting to note is that, if jack and stacey were to play sburb, they would be a knight of space and a seer of time respectively. since sburb players tend to have to grow into their god tiers as they play the game, we can sort of treat all this training and the whole story as jack and stacey becoming who they should be. taking their god tiers into account might be interesting to some people.

deadlyAdder
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by deadlyAdder » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:42 pm

Cole wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:48 pm
snip
It's really interesting to read you yourself talking about this. When first reading I felt as though it was some kind of spiteful thing but now seeing the character analysis it once again assures me that you are a good writer. Phew!

PilotBlackSmith
Location: Rio de Janeiro (Hell) - Brazil (Hell 2: Super Hell)
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Heir of Void

Post by PilotBlackSmith » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:30 pm

stacey feet reveal when

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

deadlyAdder
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by deadlyAdder » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:35 pm

PilotBlackSmith wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:30 pm
stacey feet reveal when
i am going to tear your head off with my bare hands.

PilotBlackSmith
Location: Rio de Janeiro (Hell) - Brazil (Hell 2: Super Hell)
Classpect: Heir of Void

Post by PilotBlackSmith » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:48 pm

deadlyAdder wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:35 pm
PilotBlackSmith wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:30 pm
stacey feet reveal when
i am going to tear your head off with my bare hands.
uh oh

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

aquaticFoxfire
Classpect: Heir of Doom
Moon: Derse

Post by aquaticFoxfire » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:26 am

kgtac IS good. Not much else to say.

read Memes and Memories
What to do now? is another project I've got.
also go read AfterLife

itsyaboybigBerd
Pronouns: BRUH
Classpect: Bard of Mind

Post by itsyaboybigBerd » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:09 am

Just started reading this, up to the EoD2, this is great so far. Good job taking the characters to the other side of the fourth wall. The scene where Dave discovers he and Karkat are from different timelines is a good moment

peper_steak_caravan
Pronouns: they/he

Post by peper_steak_caravan » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:17 pm

kickattack man i fucking hate you your webcomic is bad

i'm fucking joking i love kickattack especially when i drop kick attack andrew hussie in the fucking face

kickattack is a good fanventure

Tofutush++
Pronouns: She/her
Classpect: Prince of Void

Post by Tofutush++ » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:37 am

Wow, I skimmed through this thread but I'm still not quite sure about whether to start reading Karkat Goes To A Convention, mainly because it's LONG.

I need help deciding! Would anyone please give me a summary about what he actually does at the convention? And some things you think worth sharing, like what kind of people may enjoy this? Is it relationship-oriented or plot-oriented? A little spoilers is fine.

foreverFlummoxed
Pronouns: Call me w/e, idgaf
Classpect: Rogue of Light

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:28 pm

Tofutush++ wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:37 am
Wow, I skimmed through this thread but I'm still not quite sure about whether to start reading Karkat Goes To A Convention, mainly because it's LONG.

I need help deciding! Would anyone please give me a summary about what he actually does at the convention? And some things you think worth sharing, like what kind of people may enjoy this? Is it relationship-oriented or plot-oriented? A little spoilers is fine.
to begin with, Karkat from Homestuck the comic arrives suddenly at a convention on earth about the comic Homestuck. clearly disgusted he begins to "be Karkat" about everything around him and the attendees believe he's just a really good cosplayer/actor. eventually Dave shows up as well before even more things begin to show up from the comic, such as Carapacians and locals like LOWAS and The Battlefield, the comic has a few stories it follows including attendees not so prepared for the dangerous shit of Homestuck and Karkat being more equipped to deal with life endangering SBURB things. KGTAC is quite a well written comic even though i am a (fairly large) bit behind.
FF: Personally, I think my skills are near-mediocre at best. that's really all there is to say on the matter.

FF: I couldn't figure out how to get it in the profile field so here's my YouTube channel

itsyaboybigBerd
Pronouns: BRUH
Classpect: Bard of Mind

Post by itsyaboybigBerd » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:30 pm

Pretty sure it's concluded by now (i finished about a year ago so i don't think it would have updated since) but yeah def worth the read. Comes with a few videos as well.

aquaticFoxfire
Classpect: Heir of Doom

Post by aquaticFoxfire » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:05 pm

itsyaboybigBerd wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:30 pm
Pretty sure it's concluded by now (i finished about a year ago so i don't think it would have updated since) but yeah def worth the read. Comes with a few videos as well.
it's still ongoing. Just on hiatus mainly because of the site.

read Memes and Memories
What to do now? is another project I've got.
also go read AfterLife