Tales from Sburbia - A Human Fan Session

All your old-school Forum RP related dreams can be achieved in here.
argentErudite
Classpect: Mage of Void
Moon: Derse

Tales from Sburbia - A Human Fan Session

Post by argentErudite » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:58 pm

Drink and be merry, ladies, gentlemen and all in-between and outside, a full list of which is beyond me. I am proud to welcome you all to my first foray into a project of this nature! Who knows how it'll go, certainly not me! My goal here is to generate a large fan session of the Sburb Pre-Release, somewhere in the realm of 10-14 people. We'll be seeing this through to the end, from kernelsprite to death or glory, so if you want to leave do us the courtesy of letting us know so we can concoct a fitting death for your character. Other than that, the rules are simple.

1. Follow the forum's rules. Kind of a no-brainer, but never hurts to be sure.
2. We're doing a human session, so human characters. Other than, of course, the obligatory Carapacians, Consorts, Denizens, etc. We'll get our humans in first, then see about others.
3. I have no real plot in mind for this thing, so we're making it up as we go. (Not really a rule, just thought it should be established.)
4. As mentioned, if you're leaving tell someone so we can kill you off.
5. Actions in plaintext, pesterchum in your colour and the appropriate format, OOC in double brackets ((i.e. this.)).
6. We're doing this to have fun. If you aren't having fun, tell me and I'll see what I can do.
7. I've got a character template drawn out, which I'd appreciate the use of. It's this;

Name: (4 letter, 6/7 letter)
Gender: (Don't be a smartarse and put "Apache attack helicopter")
Pesterchum Name: (Standard format)
Symbol: (John's is Slimer, Rose's is a Squiddle, etc. Something significant.)
Height: (These are early teens, not adults. No 6'8" giants.)
Text Colour: (Hex code, if you would be so kind.)
Birthday: (Go wild.)
Guardian: (Relationship i.e. father, aunt, etc. 4 letter first name.)
(BRIEF) Physical description: (Please do not try to trick me and make a troll. These are baseline humans, at least at the start. 75 words or less.)
Strife Specibus: (Don't go overly specific like "katana", don't go overly generic like "blade". If you go for something like "sword" be prepared to explain why in your backstory, because those aren't usually around kids.)
Fetch Modus: (Be original. Don't go with something that's actually in Homestuck, please.)
Classpect: (No Lords, no Muses, no duplicates. First come, first served. Also, we need a Knight, a Time player and a Space player for proper Session function.)
Typing Quirks: (Nothing too obnoxious, and try not to replicate a canon character's.)
Personality and Backstory: (Flaws and positives, please. Try to avoid Sueishness, and also don't do too much whump. Also, less than 200 words.)
(Optional) Arc: (A sort of general "where you'd like to take the character" thing.)

I think that's everything for now, though of course I'll upload my character in the format. Have a good day, everyone!
Last edited by argentErudite on Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please allow me to introduce myself... I'm a man of wealth... and taste.
In all seriousness, I'm just a teenage Homestuck with a penchant for character creation.
The Glory is a question. My answer, like The Moth's, is yes.

argentErudite

Re: Tales from Sburbia - A Human Fan Session

Post by argentErudite » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:25 pm

My character, Cole.

Name: Cole Acheson
Pesterchum Name: argentErudite
Symbol: Evil Eye
Height: 5'7"
Text Colour: #00005b
Birthday: 17th October
Guardian: Aunt Cary
Physical description: Lanky, sun-deprived youth with very dark brown-gray hair in a curly French crop style. Dark blue eyes. No glasses.
Strife Specibus: Knifekind.
Fetch Modus: Bookshelf. (Each item is converted to a book with a metaphorical or pun title and appears on an abstracted shelf.)
Classpect: Mage of Void.
Typing Quirk: Formal language and impeccable punctuation, with a habit of brevity. Speaks condescendingly. Drops all of this when angry or feeling other strong negative emotions in favour of lots of profanity and no punctuation except the occasional capital or exclamation mark for emphasis.
Personality/Backstory: Clipped, stilted and formal due to his childhood ostracization. His worldview prizes knowledge as a measure of his worth, so he seeks it nigh-obsessively, feeling that if he doesn't know literally everything then he as a person is entirely worthless. This manifests as a form of minor narcissism; he believes that since he knows so much, anyone who knows less is not worth his time. This hides his deeply seated insecurities and inferiority issues, as well as his self-hatred for enjoying fantasy and the occult. (He and his aunt live in a very religious community, and his aunt is a pagan. This is what caused his ostracization.) His other passion is metallurgy and blacksmithing, which he follows online, and has just (before the story starts) received the silver knife he commissioned for his collection. He becomes vindictive and petty when challenged, like a textbook narcissist, and will attempt to lie to preserve his ego.
Arc: Essentially, I envision a "Break the Haughty" sort of thing. He as a character needs to learn that he can't know everything (Mage = Comprehend, Void = Nothing) and that not all questions have answers. Also, that he has value more that that of an encyclopaedia. This, considering the personality I have crafted for him, and without a proper therapist to do it gently instead, will likely take a large shock to break him down and, if/when he recovers, a long-term period of rebuilding his worldview into something less toxic to him and everyone aroud him.
In all seriousness, I'm just a teenage Homestuck with a penchant for character creation.

nonsenseMnemonic
Pronouns: he/him

Post by nonsenseMnemonic » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:58 pm

Heyo, do you have anything in mind for structure/pacing and post length here? I'm interested in trying something like this but I'm busy with some life stuff and can't commit to anything requiring daily posts (but less frequent, higher effort messages are fine if that's what you were thinking of doing).

argentErudite

Post by argentErudite » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:02 am

Weekly, mid-high effort posts, supplemented by IC conversations was what I was envisioning. Like, you'd say what your character's main focus was, what they were doing, how they were reacting to Sburb in general, and then conversations with other characters i.e. through pesterchum for interaction.

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:36 pm

Name: Paul Tuddles

Pesterchum Name: rowdyRoughhouser

Symbol: Frowning Dog

Height: 5'5''

Text Colour: #FFBF00

Birthday: July 15th

Guardian: Master Lunk

Physical description: Slicked, short blond hair. Baggy orange eyes, chipped teeth. Toned muscles, slightly wide frame. Ususally wears a black tanktop, jorts, and socks with sandals.

Strife Specibus: knuckleskind. Master Lunk often kept pairs of brass knuckles hidden around the house. It was not too hard for Paul to get a hold of a pair.

Fetch Modus: Scratch Modus. Modus generates a scratch off card. To get the item you want, you have to get it at least once in a scratch-off. Get four of the same item in a row empties the modus.

Classpect: Knight of Rage

Typing Quirks: Emphasize curse words, remove ending g in most words ending in ing. Example "roastin' the FUCK outta this pumpkin"

Personality: Paul is what you'd describe as "classy white trash." He enjoys gambling, drinking high-class wine, and doing dumb shit. Paul has no sense of limits, often escalating things beyond what he can handle. He's not very bright, unable to understand complex concepts without effort. Because of his upbringing, Paul is close to being a nice kid, if not dishonest and unreliable at times.

Backstory: Paul has been apprentice to an expert toy maker named Master Lunk since he was a baby. Master Lunk raised him in an abandoned sewer system, and taught young Tuddles how to make toys for himself and others. Master Lunk began his toy-making business due to ties to a local mafia group, who used his toys to appease the young daughter of the local Don. Being related to this group has often caused troubles for Lunk and Paul, so they have often had to defend themselves. At an early age, Paul learned how to set up a basic barricade, as well as knock-heads. Not long after that, Paul got in with the mafia, learning to gamble and lie. Because of this, Paul sees himself as a high-class mafia man, when really he's a hick living in the sewers.
Last edited by BrobyDDark on Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

argentErudite

Post by argentErudite » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:44 pm

Love it. You're 100% in.

Nep
Pronouns: Any (Genderfluid)
Classpect: Rogue of Heart

Post by Nep » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:37 pm

By any perchance is reserving a spot allowed?
Forum's Certified Nep. :nepball: || Rogue of Heart

MP the OP OG
Pronouns: She/Her/they/them
Classpect: Mage of Light

Post by MP the OP OG » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:09 pm

Name: Jacob Hansen
Pesterchum Name: FauxGene
Symbol: a bubbling potion
Height: 5'2
Text Colour: #8FBCF8
Birthday: Febuary 2
Guardian: Reed Hansen (uncle)
Physical description: he has brushed flat raven black hair with his bangs brushed over his forehead with the tips of his bangs died olive green. He wears a ripped Beige tee-shirt and baggy dark, green cargo pants. He has hazel eyes and a really skiny frame. He wears ropes black sneakers. His clothing is covered in multicolored stains.
Strife Specibus: Broomkind
Fetch Modus: Ridle Modus. This Modus requires it's user to complete a ridle on the Captalog card to unlock it.
Classpect: Waste if Life
Typing Quirks: He types all his Ideas in separate paragraphs and doesn't capitalize I when It's alone example:
FG: "So y'all can go ahead."
FG: "i'm just gonna stay behind."
FG: "Cool? Cool."
Personality and Backstory: Jacob is very emotional. Even though he acts aloof most of the time it's very easy to push his buttons and get him to break down. He is also very lazy, although you can easily intimidate him into doing something. He also has very little self worth, thinking that he's weak and stupid when in reality he is very smart and strong. His parents basicly treated him like a slave while spoiling his sister. He was forced to cook and clean for his parents while they fed him very little. When they didn't need something from him they locked him in his basicly blank room. Eventually his uncle found out about this and managed to become Jacobs legal guardian. But as his uncle lived by himself and had to hold up a job Jacob still never got the attention he needs.
Arc: I want his arc to have him develop a sence of self worth and an Identity beyond "I'm a useless piece of shit."
Many thoughts head full (but most of the thoughts are shitposts)

argentErudite

Post by argentErudite » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:10 pm

Nep: That's fine.

MP: We need an actual class, not "Waste", but other than that and some small spelling errors you're in. (I'd recommend Bard, from your character's personality. It fits Bard of Life to a tee. They're characterised by submissive, cautious, almost nihilistic attitudes and having low self esteem, generally having been forced to follow harsh restrictions their whole lives. Bard is passive destruction through aspect, so you'd develop somewhere along the way a sort of hunger, want or desire, as all Bards do. Yours would be material and emotional, so possibly an addiction of some description (Want for pleasure, could be drugs, could be sugary food, etc.), or overbearing hedonism (Want for living, so pursuits of fun or thrills to your detriment), or starvation (Want for survival). Starvation, specifically, is a relatively common Life-aspected challenge. Your success or failure is simple; either coming to terms with that part of yourself and triumphing alongside it or falling back into it and being consumed.)

A narcissist, a drunk/gambler and a depressed dude. This is shaping up to be interesting.

Also, Broby, Whilst we do need a Space player the way you've described your character's personality is more fitting of a Prince of Rage. Princes actively destroy their own aspect, and Rage is the aspect of anger, and saying no, and disbelief. Your character actively believes his own lies about his classiness, he's a bit deceptive, and he's optimistic. Plus, he's a gambler and a thrill-seeker, a vice of non-destructive Hope players and destructive Rage players alike. He fits it quite well. He'd probably make a passable cult leader, because he's so deceptive he loops back round into honest by, once again, believing his own lies. That is the absolute defining characteristic of a Prince of Rage. In which case, the arc would be confronting the truth about himself and standing strong, bending rather than snapping. Perhaps his illusions of classiness are stripped from him, but instead of fracturing under the strain he instead decides; "If they were false, then I'll make them real." Feel free to ignore it, it's your character and I'm not gonna kick you out, but I genuinely think it'd fit better.

SinkingSailor
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by SinkingSailor » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:29 pm

hi i'm gonna reserve real quick cuz i wrote up an entire character sheet and tried to submit it but the website fucked me cuz i waited too long
DONT YOU LECTURE ME WITH YOUR 30 DOLLAR HAIRCUT :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal:

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:40 pm

argentErudite wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:10 pm
Also, Broby, Whilst we do need a Space player the way you've described your character's personality is more fitting of a Prince of Rage. Princes actively destroy their own aspect, and Rage is the aspect of anger, and saying no, and disbelief. Your character actively believes his own lies about his classiness, he's a bit deceptive, and he's optimistic. Plus, he's a gambler and a thrill-seeker, a vice of non-destructive Hope players and destructive Rage players alike. He fits it quite well. He'd probably make a passable cult leader, because he's so deceptive he loops back round into honest by, once again, believing his own lies. That is the absolute defining characteristic of a Prince of Rage. In which case, the arc would be confronting the truth about himself and standing strong, bending rather than snapping. Perhaps his illusions of classiness are stripped from him, but instead of fracturing under the strain he instead decides; "If they were false, then I'll make them real." Feel free to ignore it, it's your character and I'm not gonna kick you out, but I genuinely think it'd fit better.
Maybe, maybe. Mostly I picked Knight of Space because then I could make REAL big fist to punch things and researching classes and aspects made brain hurty

SinkingSailor
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by SinkingSailor » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:43 pm

oh wait, your a knight? shit, i was about to make a knight. more specifically, a knight of rage (idk if his personality matches up, we'll see) Would you mind switching or do you wanna stay your current class? I don't really mind if you wanna stay a knight of space if you don't wanna switch.
DONT YOU LECTURE ME WITH YOUR 30 DOLLAR HAIRCUT :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal:

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:50 pm

SinkingSailor wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:43 pm
oh wait, your a knight? shit, i was about to make a knight. more specifically, a knight of rage (idk if his personality matches up, we'll see) Would you mind switching or do you wanna stay your current class? I don't really mind if you wanna stay a knight of space if you don't wanna switch.
I'll be figurin' it out, and if I decide otherwise you can go ahead and take Knight.

argentErudite

Post by argentErudite » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:54 pm

We can have absolutely maximum 2 duplicate aspects and 2 duplicate classes, and that's if we go 14 players, the max I'm willing to do. We'll see.

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:57 pm

14 players? Jesus.

argentErudite

Post by argentErudite » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:58 pm

Yeah, as I said, maximum. 8-10 would be more comfortable, but that leaves no room for duplicates.

Nep

Post by Nep » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:20 pm

argentErudite wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:10 pm
Nep: That's fine.
I'd like to request a reservation spot for Heir of Heart then, since I have a fankid under that classpect.

argentErudite

Post by argentErudite » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:05 pm

Put it in the format, and we're good.

Nep

Post by Nep » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:20 pm

argentErudite wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:05 pm
Put it in the format, and we're good.
I'd also like to suggest a list of characters as well.

You know those that were submitted to keep track of it

VASKA
Pronouns: She/her, They/them

Post by VASKA » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:23 pm

Reserving a spot! I'll edit this message with the character sheet when I'm done making a dude.

Edit:

Name: Niva Layton
Pesterchum Name: fantasticallyInfectious
Symbol: Nurgle's sigil (attached)
Height: 5 5
Text Colour: #00BF00
Birthday: June 18th
Guardian: Sis (Laya)
(BRIEF) Physical description: Blonde, green eyes, button nose. Cute kid. If you found this kid in a dumpster, you'd adopt this kid. 10/10, good job parents.
Strife Specibus: Bowkind, Staffkind
Fetch Modus: Alchemy, in order to retrieve an item something of equal or greater value must be sacrificed in return.
Classpect: Sylph of Hope
Typing Quirks: grammar is a false god
Personality and Backstory: Fantasy addicted girl. Plays warhammer, adores the powers of darkness and chaos, and writes bad erotic elf fanfic. Has slight juggalo tendencies. Kind but reserved, helpful but distant. Gets incredibly frustrated when she doesn't understand something. Has cosplayed eldritch horror legolas, it didn't look good in the slightest. Her sister is nearly a non-entity in her life, basically just a roommate who handles the money. She keeps a box in her closet that she uses to nurture mold as an amateur mycology project. It's amazing that she hasn't poisoned her sister yet with it, but Niva has a bright future ahead of her as a bioterrorist, especially if she finds a way to keep the flu as a pet.
Attachments
Nurgle.jpg
Nurgle.jpg (16.18 KiB) Viewed 31668 times
Last edited by VASKA on Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Only cuties survive the near future