Review People's Music Tastes!

Play all the Forum Games you could ever want, right here.
SinkingSailor
Pronouns: He/Him
Moon: Derse

Re: Review People's Music Tastes!

Post by SinkingSailor » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:30 pm

8/10 it's one of those songs that it's just... nice to jam out to once in a while. Good song, i like :>

DONT YOU LECTURE ME WITH YOUR 30 DOLLAR HAIRCUT :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal: :cal:

Robot_Face
Pronouns: They/them
Classpect: Mage of Mind

Post by Robot_Face » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:38 pm

galileanTactician - 9/10 I love the very beginning with the dissonant notes, great music video also
SinkingSailor who posted while I was writing this - 7/10 pretty good but the transition from the first ~minute of the song to the rest was a little weird and jarring in my opinion.

(Maybe epilepsy warning for this video?)
ARquiusprite enclosed
Show

MorganMustDie
Pronouns: f

Post by MorganMustDie » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:05 pm

that video is fucking frightening but it matches the kinda ~etherial~ music pretty dang well i gotta say
8/10

this is now a gecsposting thread and I want all of your honest opinoins
Image Perfection.

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:08 am

they suck.

:rosecool:

MorganMustDie

Post by MorganMustDie » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:39 am

Generalrabogolfo wrote: โ†‘
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:08 am
they suck.
you just don't get it, dad
Image Perfection.

kiaric
Pronouns: he/him they/them

Post by kiaric » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:41 pm

2/10 - I don't really know if it's a general rap thing, but it seems to just kinda be vulgar and offensive sounding for the heck of it. Also I don't really like rap so this already doesn't give it much of a chance, sorry. Intro sounds kinda neat though.

๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐”‚๐“พ๐”‚๐“พ๐“พ๐“ฑ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ.................

MorganMustDie

Post by MorganMustDie » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:51 pm

Since we're reviewing tastes, rather than explicitly the music being posted, I've gotta say that I very much dislike the take that rap is lesser because it's "vulgar and offensive sounding for the heck of it," not for any reason other than I used to believe the same thing, and it is, in and of itself, a 2/10 opinion. Because honestly? Vulgarity in music can serve a myriad of valid purposes. Some of these might just be for shock value (for the heck of it) sure, but in my listening experience a great deal of it initially came as a response towards the circumstances that befell artists during the birth of rap music, including topics such as class warfare, poverty, racism, brutality and gentrification, just to name a few. As such, this anger and vulgarity became a staple of the genre even as it evolved, and still serves a certain purpose regardless of whether or not individual tracks themselves still focus on such issues.

tl;dr vulgarity in rap is rarely just "for the heck of it," and is most often used - and should be treated as such - as another tool that an artist can use to express themselves rather that being a detractor from the music itself. plus, swearing is fun.

~~

This Postal Service track, on the other hand, is real nice. Very cozy, sparkly and well produced. Interesting instrumentation, even if a lot of it is very stripped back and subtle. It's like listening to the feeling of sitting on a hill and watching the sunlight shining off the ocean in the distance. A few points off for not really building too much, and staying a great deal "samey" for maybe a little longer than it should. 7.37/10

~~

Speaking of rap music that deals with issues, I've been listening to this track a LOT through the speakers of my new car just because the bassline sounds incredible through it. If you don't like it, come give me a visit down in Australia and we can play it through my speakers to see if you change your mind

Image Perfection.

kiaric
Pronouns: he/him they/them

Post by kiaric » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:35 pm

MorganMustDie wrote: โ†‘
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:51 pm
Since we're reviewing tastes, rather than explicitly the music being posted, I've gotta say that I very much dislike the take that rap is lesser because it's "vulgar and offensive sounding for the heck of it," not for any reason other than I used to believe the same thing, and it is, in and of itself, a 2/10 opinion. Because honestly? Vulgarity in music can serve a myriad of valid purposes. Some of these might just be for shock value (for the heck of it) sure, but in my listening experience a great deal of it initially came as a response towards the circumstances that befell artists during the birth of rap music, including topics such as class warfare, poverty, racism, brutality and gentrification, just to name a few. As such, this anger and vulgarity became a staple of the genre even as it evolved, and still serves a certain purpose regardless of whether or not individual tracks themselves still focus on such issues.

tl;dr vulgarity in rap is rarely just "for the heck of it," and is most often used - and should be treated as such - as another tool that an artist can use to express themselves rather that being a detractor from the music itself. plus, swearing is fun.

~~

This Postal Service track, on the other hand, is real nice. Very cozy, sparkly and well produced. Interesting instrumentation, even if a lot of it is very stripped back and subtle. It's like listening to the feeling of sitting on a hill and watching the sunlight shining off the ocean in the distance. A few points off for not really building too much, and staying a great deal "samey" for maybe a little longer than it should. 7.37/10

~~

Speaking of rap music that deals with issues, I've been listening to this track a LOT through the speakers of my new car just because the bassline sounds incredible through it. If you don't like it, come give me a visit down in Australia and we can play it through my speakers to see if you change your mind

I don't claim to know anything about the rap genre. Like I said, I just don't like rap. I don't care about knowing anything about rap. Though having said that, it's interesting to now know WHY rap artists often make the decisions to write the way they do. That doesn't mean I'll take this into account for my very superficial opinion still. The way I see good music is that it's something that sounds good to me. If it doesn't sound good to me, low score and here's why. I don't feel the need to go deeper or anything.
๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐”‚๐“พ๐”‚๐“พ๐“พ๐“ฑ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ๐“พ.................

MorganMustDie

Post by MorganMustDie » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:26 am

kiaric wrote: โ†‘
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:35 pm
I don't claim to know anything about the rap genre. Like I said, I just don't like rap. I don't care about knowing anything about rap. Though having said that, it's interesting to now know WHY rap artists often make the decisions to write the way they do. That doesn't mean I'll take this into account for my very superficial opinion still. The way I see good music is that it's something that sounds good to me. If it doesn't sound good to me, low score and here's why. I don't feel the need to go deeper or anything.
Yeah don't worry, I understand that. I just see "rap is vulgar which means its bad" a lot and think it's a goofy take. you seem to be judging it more subjectively which is fine and gucci and all thumbs up
Image Perfection.

Generalrabogolfo

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:02 am

MorganMustDie wrote: โ†‘
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:51 pm
anyway, continuing with the thread; i dont really like lamar. dont know why, but i just cant stand his voice.

Sokota
Pronouns: he/they

Post by Sokota » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:06 am

9/10 - Amazing song, but I still like Nirvana's rendition the best.

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time
Moon: Prospit

Post by RoyalFiddle » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:35 pm

This has been stuck in my head all day like some sort of brain parasite that's gone and attached itself directly to my auditory cortex

ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

Generalrabogolfo

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:53 am

for some reason i dont like the slow way he sings like, dude, i dont have all the fucking day man. 10/22

ThePungeonMaster
Classpect: Seer of Breath

Post by ThePungeonMaster » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:49 pm

Very distinctive. Voice is a bit nasally and doesn't fit at times, but the guitar is solid. Has a certain strange charm to it, but doesn't go far enough to really rock. 7/11
June X Vriska is the best ship.

SC
Pronouns: he/him

Post by SC » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:35 pm

not bad. not sure if i'd listen to this on a regular basis with how kinda wonky the instrumental key is, but i like how the vocals sound at least. 7/10

โ–ถ Check out my Homestuck fanpage! โ—€
(fanventures, fanfiction, and wikis, oh my!)

:distraught3d: website | mastodon :kitty:

MorganMustDie

Post by MorganMustDie » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:23 am

The opening sounds like the kinda music that would play as you set sail on the open seas in a cartoony adventure game and the rest of it sounds like a They Might Be Giants song sung by Rob Cantor in the style of Christian Bale Is At Your Party. a 6.8/10

have a goofy song about a joe talbot's love for his best friend danny
Image Perfection.

sigmatic
Classpect: Rogue of Life

Post by sigmatic » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:23 pm

Took some getting used to his singing voice but it's actually a solid song, 4/5

Rogue of Life
forums? more like BOREums har har

Generalrabogolfo

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:05 am

that's one hell of a videoclip. and i remember the voice from somewhere, altho i don't know where exactly. overall this is a 5/6 song that ill be listening repeatedly in spotify till the dopamine it generates wears off. thanks.

Kidpen
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Seer of Mind

Post by Kidpen » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:04 pm

6.895. Not my general thing, but I'm rocking the instrumental. It would be more like a 7.11 if the ending was better.

(ahahaha my music taste is super mainstream compared to pretty much everyone else here. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just a thing.)
the epilogues were good.

sigmatic
Classpect: Rogue of Life

Post by sigmatic » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:01 pm

Good song, it has a nice atmosphere but I feel like I'm missing some emotional context due to still not knowing what the fuck a Hamilton is. Now I do get why it's talked about so much though :apple:

Rogue of Life
forums? more like BOREums har har