Evolution Game #1

Play all the Forum Games you could ever want, right here.
classpectanon
Site Admin
Pronouns: They/It
Classpect: Sylph of Light
Moon: Derse

Evolution Game #1

Post by classpectanon » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:24 pm

Welcome to the new MSPAF's very first Evolution Game! :olliesouty:

Somewhere, on a small, earth-like planet, orbiting an old, orange star, evolution rocks its sandy shores. This planet has no name, as no sentience has arisen to name it, and all these millions of years have only given birth to small, strange creatures in the brackish shores. It is by your hands that these creatures will be given shape, form, and purpose - via the Darwinian needs of EVOLUTION!

Here are the rules.

1: Pick a creature. Any creature is fair game, even past evolutions -- don't be afraid to make branches off of old creatures! At least, not until an extinction event occurs.
2: Open up MS Paint. Add a small feature to the creature. Nothing gigantic. You won't be going from blind-to-eyes in an instant, but you can try to strive for eye-spots over a couple of posts, for example.
3: SAVE AS PNG OR I'LL KILL YOU
4: Upload and post, with an explanation of your change. Remember that not all changes are necessarily positive! Evolution often works in strange ways.

I will now present to you the three creatively named creatures, starting off, that our guiding hands will... Uh. Guide.
krawl.png
krawl.png (3.44 KiB) Viewed 23099 times
Fragile, slug-like, and squishy, the Krawl is a scavenger that rolls itself along the blue sands of the ocean floor in search of corpse materials to eat. It uses its three flagella-like pseudopods to take organic matter and press it into its feed hole, whereupon its entire body works to digest -- it has no differentiated organs, and only two limber antennae for sensory input. About 2 cm at max length.
scut.png
scut.png (3.73 KiB) Viewed 23099 times
The Scut are crustacean-like filter feeders with soft insides and a firm exoskeleton, open just enough to allow smaller planktonoids and microbes to filter into its gullet. While capable of moving, most scut prefer to sit entirely in place to conserve precious energy. They possess microscopic feelers at the bottoms of their legs, used only for maneuvering into the most stable position, and no sensory organs otherwise. About 1.5 cm at max length.
wawe.png
wawe.png (3.34 KiB) Viewed 23099 times
The Wawe are the closest thing the primordial oceans have to a predator, utilizing whip-like flagella and sinuous, twisting motions to propel themselves through the water at high speeds. They prefer to eat Krawl, typically by knocking them over via ramming and then piercing the other animal with their pointed, protruding proboscis. They intake oxygen through their probosci as well, and are the only animal in the primordial oceans that requires breathing to fuel their somewhat-complex organs, including rudimentary eyespots for capturing motion (but not light or color).

The ocean floors are carpeted in pebble-y light blue sands, with this particular part of the ocean also dominated by rocky outcroppings yet to be worn down by the passage of time. The other animals too small to mention are small microbes similar to plankton or lichen. Light levels are lower compared to earth, due to the softer lit sun.

Well? What are you waiting for? Go grab a picture and let's start evolving!
I'm more easily reached at classpectanon#4228 on Discord. I will respond to reports faster there because PHPBB's notification system is borked and doesn't email me when you report things.

Robot_Face
Pronouns: They/them
Classpect: Mage of Mind

Re: Evolution Game #1

Post by Robot_Face » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:17 pm

Because Scut's primary predator attacks it by trying to knock it over, the ones that are wider are more easily able to resist this method. Over time Scut which are noticeably wider than others seem to be growing in numbers as the ones with this trait are more likely to survive a Wawe attack.
ARquiusprite enclosed
Show

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time
Moon: Prospit

Post by RoyalFiddle » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:23 pm

wide scut start of antenna.png
wide scut start of antenna.png (5.2 KiB) Viewed 23079 times
The Scut has slowly but surely developed a way to feel a change in the movement of the water, warning them of any predators moving their way, allowing for a longer lifespan and as a mechanic to let the Scut live a more sedentary lifestyle
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:03 am

Little membranes have grown on the wawe to help it get even more propulsion and allowing it to get more food, serving as a fleshy net.
Attachments
wawee.png
wawee.png (951 Bytes) Viewed 23066 times
:rosecool:

Drinosi
Classpect: Mage of Blood

Post by Drinosi » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:21 am

Krawl has begun to develop suckers under its body that allow it to attach itself more securely to the corpse it is feeding upon.
Attachments
krawl.png
krawl.png (2.42 KiB) Viewed 23061 times

Crpal
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Crpal » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:17 pm

https://imgur.com/a/ldYTNgx The Krawl has developed hyper sensitive spots on its body to help it tell what type of material that part of its body is touching

classpectanon
Site Admin

Post by classpectanon » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:54 pm

Some Krawl find greater reproductive success clustering their "touch spots" over at the front of their head, resulting, several generations later, in a species of Krawl with clustered spots out front.
2vSpOkI.png
2vSpOkI.png (3.74 KiB) Viewed 23034 times
I'm more easily reached at classpectanon#4228 on Discord. I will respond to reports faster there because PHPBB's notification system is borked and doesn't email me when you report things.

warmwood

Post by warmwood » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:55 pm

Some wawe have developed sharper and harder ends to their flagella that have aided in sticking and killing their prey.
Attachments
wawee.png
wawee.png (932 Bytes) Viewed 23033 times

egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath

Post by egg » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:03 pm

Scut that feed in deep ocean environments are more successful due to a lack of predators but (comparative) abundance of microorganisms to filterfeed on and due to the fact that the darkness masks them. Because the depths of the ocean are so dark, there's no need for pigmentation - because of this, Scut living at the bottom of the ocean are now a fleshy off-white color.
wscut.png
wscut.png (919 Bytes) Viewed 23013 times
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

heroboof
Pronouns: he/him/his
Classpect: rogue of heart

Post by heroboof » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:39 pm

Wawe whose eyespots can detect small amounts of light and shadow tend to find more hunting success, as it becomes easier to distinguish (usually slightly elevated) Krawl from (usually closer to the rest of the sand) the sand below. Less energy is spent on false attempts to capture prey and more energy is free to be spent on reproduction, allowing for these successful Wawe to become more prolific. https://imgur.com/LlfYyf3 Edit: the lovely folks of this forum helped me figure out how to make attachments. Thanks, folks!
Attachments
waweeh.png
waweeh.png (914 Bytes) Viewed 22986 times
Last edited by heroboof on Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time

Post by RoyalFiddle » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:42 pm

heroboof wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:39 pm
(how do I make attachments?)
Drag and Drop from your saved images my guy, easy as it can get
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

Generalrabogolfo

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:43 pm

heroboof wrote:
Just drag the file to the comment box on pc. I don't think you can do it on mobile.

heroboof
Pronouns: he/him/his
Classpect: rogue of heart

Post by heroboof » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:50 pm

Generalrabogolfo wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:43 pm
heroboof wrote:
Just drag the file to the comment box on pc. I don't think you can do it on mobile.
Ah, thank you.

MatthewHMay

Post by MatthewHMay » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:46 pm

some Wawe which were more sedimentary have developed additional smaller proboscis that can more easily secure krawl for a kill, but also aid in the rationing of nutrients due to their ability to close up and wait for food to be scare to open.
Attachments
wawem@.png
wawem@.png (2.45 KiB) Viewed 22976 times
Endless War: A Textbased MMO RPG playable via discord https://discord.gg/mtSRXek

classpectanon
Site Admin

Post by classpectanon » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:09 pm

krawl2.png
krawl2.png (3.56 KiB) Viewed 22950 times
Some Krawl have further developed their suckers into small, rudimentary paddles, to help propel them towards food at higher speeds and avoid predators.

Generalrabogolfo

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:20 pm

Some wawes have suffered skin mutations that changes their color. This new color let them blend with their surroundings more efficiently, leading for a more efficient hunt.
Attachments
wawee.png
wawee.png (777 Bytes) Viewed 22948 times

VASKA
Pronouns: She/her, They/them

Post by VASKA » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:43 pm

With the pointed flagellum rendering the use of the proboscis as a weapon obsolete, some wawe have developed a proboscis with an upward angle, using it as a snorkel and floating near the surface, hunting in a manner similar to a jellyfish.
wawee (2).png
wawee (2).png (893 Bytes) Viewed 22939 times
Only cuties survive the near future

MatthewHMay

Post by MatthewHMay » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:02 pm

Do to the increase in food and lack of predators seafloor scuts have increased in body mass and their exoskeletons have decreased in thickness
Attachments
wscutm@.png
wscutm@.png (890 Bytes) Viewed 22929 times
Endless War: A Textbased MMO RPG playable via discord https://discord.gg/mtSRXek

Generalrabogolfo

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:28 am

some wawees have developed thin tendrils to help them hunt with its probosis. On the down side, it has slowed it down a bit because of the new friction.
Attachments
wawee.png
wawee.png (953 Bytes) Viewed 22887 times

classpectanon
Site Admin

Post by classpectanon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:58 pm

END OF GENERATION 1
PHYLOGENY CHART.png
PHYLOGENY CHART.png (26.08 KiB) Viewed 22843 times
Evolution has progressed at a slow and steady pace. Something about the atmosphere above, unknown to the sea-dwelling creatures below, is making the planet begin to heat up, causing algal and plankton blooms in the water -- an abundant food source for all, raining down on the sea floor in greenish curtains. A veritable population explosion! But will the planet be able to handle all of this new life, or will an extinction event drive some creatures out of business?

Remember that you are free to branch off from any available evolution on the attached phylogenic chart, not just the latest evolution!