If Hauntswitch was a visual novel?

Discuss Hiveswap and Hiveswap Friendsim here!
thorondraco

If Hauntswitch was a visual novel?

Post by thorondraco » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:48 pm

We all have probably heard that Hauntswitch is kind of up in the air right now. They are focusing solely on completing Hiveswap so we don't know if they could get to Hauntswitch.

However, what if instead of a point and clicker, they make Hauntswitch a visual novel? Rather than a dating sim, they make it a somewhat more traditional visual novel. Put it out, make some awesome art and some music for it, maybe unique maybe remixed of other stuff, and let the shenanigans and the reveals of what the hell just happened come!

They could release them between the the Hiveswap acts, which hopefully aren't two years apart again and they have more forward momentum now. As whatever happens in Pesterquest regardless means that the dating sim well has very much dried up, they would have games they still need to fill the gaps between.

egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath
Moon: Derse

Re: If Hauntswitch was a visual novel?

Post by egg » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:06 pm

While that sounds really cool as a visual novel fan myself, it probably would be a bad PR move, as most people want a game with gameplay, and it would upset a lot of the fanbase that's been waiting so long for Hauntswitch only to get something barely any gameplay.
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

Leddy
Pronouns: Any (They/He/She)
Classpect: Sylph of Life
Moon: Prospit

Post by Leddy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:20 pm

egg wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:06 pm
While that sounds really cool as a visual novel fan myself, it probably would be a bad PR move, as most people want a game with gameplay, and it would upset a lot of the fanbase that's been waiting so long for Hauntswitch only to get something barely any gameplay.
I agree with this.

If we get Hauntswitch, I hope it's in a similar style to Hiveswap because I actually really like Hiveswap's style and it's enough simple gameplay or details to keep me entertained. You don't get that as much with Visual Novels, you get a different experience for sure with it's own positives and negatives, but not the type I'm hoping for Hauntswitch if it does come out.
:mutie:

Javepeta connoisseur
Professional Jade Stan
Roxy, Jade, and Kanaya are the best Homestuck characters /thread

Sahxyel

Post by Sahxyel » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:41 pm

Leddy wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:20 pm
egg wrote:
I agree with this.

If we get Hauntswitch, I hope it's in a similar style to Hiveswap because I actually really like Hiveswap's style and it's enough simple gameplay or details to keep me entertained. You don't get that as much with Visual Novels, you get a different experience for sure with it's own positives and negatives, but not the type I'm hoping for Hauntswitch if it does come out.
I agree that Hauntswitch would be a mistake to do as a solid VN, it'd feel incredibly low effort. I think what COULD elevate it if VN is really on the table is treating it a little like DanganRonpa where it's a VN mixed with some gameplay elements to give it some spice. :apple:
:professor: Honeybee Professor Says: Problem Sleuth is better than Homestuck!

It's a mathematical fact!

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:54 pm

Sahxyel wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:41 pm
Leddy wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:20 pm
egg wrote:
I agree with this.

I agree that Hauntswitch would be a mistake to do as a solid VN, it'd feel incredibly low effort. I think what COULD elevate it if VN is really on the table is treating it a little like DanganRonpa where it's a VN mixed with some gameplay elements to give it some spice. :apple:
That is a fair estimate i suppose. Though i still think its viable if they can't do Hauntswitch as a point and clicker game. Nor, unlikely Hiveswap, does it have to be one. If act two came out and it was visual novel then yea, it would be bad cause Hiveswap is supposed to be a point and clicker! But hauntswitch, while envisioned as a point and clicker, doesn't have to be.

Drinosi
Classpect: Mage of Blood

Post by Drinosi » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:09 pm

I like the style of Hiveswap, so if we get Hauntswitch, I hope it will be in the same style as Hiveswap.
I know it's not a done deal that it's even going to happen, but I've got my fingers crossed that if Hiveswap is successful, they'll do Hauntswitch.

MorganMustDie
Pronouns: f

Post by MorganMustDie » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:56 am

hauntswitch will be an open world survival crafting RPG with an online multiplayer battle royale mode

source: my uncle works at TOG
Image Perfection.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:13 am

MorganMustDie wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:56 am
hauntswitch will be an open world survival crafting RPG with an online multiplayer battle royale mode

source: my uncle works at TOG
Telling you, you could easily do a weird Terraria like Homestuck game with a nonsense crafting system.

xeno
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Knight of Light or Rage

Post by xeno » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:32 pm

thorondraco wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:13 am
Telling you, you could easily do a weird Terraria like Homestuck game with a nonsense crafting system.
I never realized I needed this.
"Love should be abolished..."
-Garlic, Book of Mario 64

Crpal
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Crpal » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:29 pm

If they did go the VN route I'd expect more effort and gameplay put in instead of just being like a Hiveswap Friendsim/Pesterquest chapter.

thorondraco

Post by thorondraco » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:11 pm

Crpal wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:29 pm
If they did go the VN route I'd expect more effort and gameplay put in instead of just being like a Hiveswap Friendsim/Pesterquest chapter.
Thought process I had was that Hauntswitch is supplementary to Hiveswap to begin with. Meant to uncover more of the mystery behind what is going on at the Half Harley manor. Origin of the cult and why the fuck a bunch of eldritch horror type creatures chased a 14 year old girl through a portal. I would imagine that is the primary objective, answers and lore.

While it would be without question better if it was a point and click, if the primary objective is the lore and understanding what is going on over the form that game takes, then a visual novel would be applicable if it had a good bit more effort to it than the friendsims.

Also the fact that after Pesterquest there isn't exactly room for more dating sims and it would be bullshit if the Reader got amnesia for a third time, let alone a fourth or fifth time as I imagine they want to have in-between games for the next acts, which hopefully come sooner that act 2 has. So there would be a space for more lore shit. Also it would give an excuse to have Sim style art of characters from Hiveswap.

nonsenseMnemonic
Pronouns: he/him

Post by nonsenseMnemonic » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:16 pm

I love visual novels and would totally be open to reading Hauntswitch as one instead of a point-and-click game, but yeah, it sounds like something that would disappoint a lot of people and I can't say I'd blame them for it. If it was between not releasing it and getting a VN though, VN all the way.

dualfallen
Classpect: Witch of Rage

Post by dualfallen » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:44 pm

If they can't afford to make a game from scratch, then I think the best thing to do would be to use something like RPG Maker to make Hauntswitch an RPG. It could look like those RPG sections we've seen throughout the comic and you'd have your party of Jude, Dammek, and anyone else that might follow you. Hell considering how, unlike Joey and Xefros, these two like combat there could actually be real battles?
Toby Fox told a great story in a (honestly barebones) RPG, it's certainly possible

I think this would give enough interactivity while still remaining cheap.

Flame_Warp

Post by Flame_Warp » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:09 pm

Actually, that's a GREAT idea. I'd totally dig hauntswitch being an rpg, especially since the 3 main characters we can reasonably expect are Jude, Dammek and Roxy, all of which are reasonably combatitive