Suggestion Thread

This is an area specifically designated for asking questions or getting help with the forum in general. All off-topic threads will be locked.
Gio
Pronouns: its him
Moon: Derse

Re: Suggestion Thread

Post by Gio » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:17 am

Gio wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:40 pm
classpectanon wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:31 pm
Gio wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:22 pm
There are a bunch of discussion threads (vast error, karkat goes to a con, etc) that aren't really fan projects so much as discussions.
Wondering if we should separate out discussion threads about fan adventures from "Here is my fan project" threads in Fan Projects.
Good idea.

Do you think that a "Fanventure Discussion" forum should be in Fan Projects or Forum Adventures?
I might just throw "Fanstuff Discussion" directly under creative corner, for discussion of any fan projects, adventures, or other content that you're not "doing".

I would like to discuss a fan game. Where does that go?
I'm making Pesterquest Modsuite! Write your own pq/friendsim routes!
Keep circulating the tapes.
you're
:⁾
welcome

JakeMorph

Post by JakeMorph » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:08 pm

could we get some kind of official policy regarding quotes and how to use and trim them? I don't think hard and fast rules are needed but a lot of threads are longer than they necessarily need to be because people are quoting full images or nesting three quotes deep or quoting entire multi paragraph posts when they're only responding to part of it
mod on the mspa wiki

Gio

Post by Gio » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:02 pm

JakeMorph wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:08 pm
could we get some kind of official policy regarding quotes and how to use and trim them? I don't think hard and fast rules are needed but a lot of threads are longer than they necessarily need to be because people are quoting full images or nesting three quotes deep or quoting entire multi paragraph posts when they're only responding to part of it
On these same lines, it might nice to have signature guidelines; I know really tall signatures bug some people, myself included.
you're
welcome

Gio

Post by Gio » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:22 pm

classpectanon wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:31 pm
Good idea.

Do you think that a "Fanventure Discussion" forum should be in Fan Projects or Forum Adventures?
Gio wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:40 pm
I might just throw "Fanstuff Discussion" directly under creative corner, for discussion of any fan projects, adventures, or other content that you're not "doing".
Gio wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:17 am
I would like to discuss a fan game. Where does that go?
Well, I did it. 8^y
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=307

Should this thread be moved, and if so, where to?
you're
welcome

Gio

Post by Gio » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:01 pm

Triple-suggestion-post, sorry:

Youtube embeds.
you're
welcome

MorganMustDie
Pronouns: f

Post by MorganMustDie » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:09 pm

Gio wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:01 pm
Triple-suggestion-post, sorry:

Youtube embeds.
We've got them, just hit the little tv screen and put the YouTube url between the [media] tags
Image Perfection.

Mentok Thief of Mind
Pronouns: EEEEooo/eeeeOOO

Post by Mentok Thief of Mind » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:11 pm

What's the current signature limit? Some signature images are just ultra-massive. I like Barrakewda (sp?)'s posts but that signature image engulfs my everything
:olliesouty: :olliesouty: :olliesouty: :olliesouty:
MIND-TAKING!
ACCEPT! NO! SUBSTITUTES!
:olliesouty: :olliesouty: :olliesouty: :olliesouty:

pfeffer-29
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Heir of Mind

Post by pfeffer-29 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:37 pm

Superscript and subscript?
you can pry karezi out of my cold dead hands

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:40 pm

Remove "foe" and have "friend" send the person a notification

dualfallen
Classpect: Witch of Rage

Post by dualfallen » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:52 am

Now I certainly wouldn't want to tell you how to market your forums and I understand there are many reasons why you might not want to do this, but I just wanted to mention this.

Have you considered talking to the people in charge of Homestuck^2 about putting a link to these forums on their site like how the original MSPA website had a link to the forums? New users to this site and activity in general has slowed significantly and that could help get a lot more people. Them officially promoting fandom interaction would help maintain fandom engagement too and be better for everyone. As is, it's a little hard for word to spread about the forums. Maybe even the Homestuck 1 site could get a link to these forums but I know that might be a little harder since Viz has tighter control on that.

I would just love to see these forums be the best they can be.

RoyalFiddle
Classpect: Mage of Time
Moon: Prospit

Post by RoyalFiddle » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:56 am

dualfallen wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:52 am
Now I certainly wouldn't want to tell you how to market your forums and I understand there are many reasons why you might not want to do this, but I just wanted to mention this.

Have you considered talking to the people in charge of Homestuck^2 about putting a link to these forums on their site like how the original MSPA website had a link to the forums? New users to this site and activity in general has slowed significantly and that could help get a lot more people. Them officially promoting fandom interaction would help maintain fandom engagement too and be better for everyone. As is, it's a little hard for word to spread about the forums. Maybe even the Homestuck 1 site could get a link to these forums but I know that might be a little harder since Viz has tighter control on that.

I would just love to see these forums be the best they can be.
That doesn't exactly sound up to CSA, other than sending out an ask. It would have to be up to the staff to decide if that's something they'd want to do, especially because of how their reputation could take a hit if they accept and then find content that'd affect PR. Of course, that would never happen, but the staff most assuredly wouldn't know that, making negotiations hard, and even getting in proper contact is iffy as it is.

Basically, I love the idea as well, but I dunno if it's viable. Granted, I'm not staff so.
ROS3S 4R3 BL4CK
V1OL3TS 4R3 BL4CK
3V3RYTH1NG 1S BL4CK
1M BL1ND
>:]

nonsenseMnemonic
Pronouns: he/him

Post by nonsenseMnemonic » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:28 pm

Pip, on the Pgenpod Discord, mentioned that they had no plans to implement a forum, partly due to not having the resources to moderate it officially. I think a lot of those same concerns would exist with linking to someone else's forum on their site, since it would sorta make this place official.

Auntie

Post by Auntie » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:15 am

Could bbcode formatting buttons for things like images and quotes pop up a box for entering in relevant info? Other forums and miscellaneous sites have this as a default, and it's generally more convenient than typing/pasting that all in after hitting the button.
Current works: fanventure
Still alive, living slowly

benni

Post by benni » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:47 am

what do you think about a tutorial for new users?
i feel like new ppl might find it daunting coming in here if they havent properly used a forum before

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:04 am

benni wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:47 am
what do you think about a tutorial for new users?
i feel like new ppl might find it daunting coming in here if they havent properly used a forum before
A BBcode reference sheet I think is all that's necessary. Forums are some of the most simple things on the internet- a tutorial for something like that could come across as condescending.

foreverFlummoxed
Pronouns: Call me w/e, idgaf
Classpect: Rogue of Light

Post by foreverFlummoxed » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:55 pm

Maybe if there was a way to widespread the knowledge of the BBcode reference "sheet" that exists whenever a user is making a post?
BBcode link.PNG
BBcode link.PNG (16.87 KiB) Viewed 24024 times
(clicking on BBCode leads to a page of how to do things like coloured text, links, and whatnot)
FF: Personally, I think my skills are near-mediocre at best. that's really all there is to say on the matter.

FF: I couldn't figure out how to get it in the profile field so here's my YouTube channel

Leddy
Pronouns: Any (They/He/She)
Classpect: Sylph of Life

Post by Leddy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:27 am

I think my suggestion before got drowned out.

The ability to sort by highest or lowest views/replies? That's a pretty common forum feature that we don't have.
:mutie:

Javepeta connoisseur
Professional Jade Stan
Roxy, Jade, and Kanaya are the best Homestuck characters /thread

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:28 pm

ADD :rancorous:
rancorous.gif
rancorous.gif (138 Bytes) Viewed 24004 times

nonsenseMnemonic
Pronouns: he/him

Post by nonsenseMnemonic » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:48 pm

I've seen some forums with the option to jump to the next unread topic from whichever topic you're currently viewing. Would that be possible to implement here?

Morphimus
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Dutton of Mutton

Post by Morphimus » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:46 pm

I would like to request a few features that I miss from the old forums.

Firstly, the implementation of tables.
You know, this kinda thing:

Code: Select all

[table]
[tr]
[td]This is row 1, Column 1[/td]
[td]This is row 1, Column 2[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]This is row 2, Column 1[/td]
[td]This is row 2, Column 2[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
I don't know if these features are inherent to bbcode's tables, but I remember being able to set the background color for individual cells of a table (something like [td background="#123456"]), being able to set the width (e.g., you could have the whole table take up a set width in pixels width="500" or make it stretch to some percentage of the post's total width. width="100%") and you could set the overall alignment of the table, which is a separate thing from the [align] tags, because those would only align the text within the table, not the table itself.

Colored backgrounds for regular text is also a cool feature.

Code: Select all

[background="#ff0000"]Text with a red background[/background]
Also, the old forums had a little number on each post that indicated which post in a thread it was, e.g., the 10th post in a thread would have a little 10 somewhere.
That and there were 25 posts per page by default instead of the 20 we have here.
But these last two feature suggestions are relatively minor, and I would not mind if they stayed as they are now.
Hellooooo MSPA Forums. :pranky:

Image Image Image