Hussie Art Discussion Corner

Discuss other MSPA and Andrew Hussie related works like Problem Sleuth and Bard Quest here!
Endater
Pronouns: She/Her
Classpect: Butt of Joke
Moon: Derse

Hussie Art Discussion Corner

Post by Endater » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:57 pm

Let's talk about some of the art Hussie's done outside of MSPA. Like stuff from his blog and Whistles. I love the fuck outta Hussie's style. :orange:

Here's some Homestuck kids to start:

ImageImage

Cyber-Fan
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Sylph of Light

Re: Hussie Art Discussion Corner

Post by Cyber-Fan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:19 pm

dcbe4e0f1a9a828d7795614ede5c54b4.jpg
dcbe4e0f1a9a828d7795614ede5c54b4.jpg (46 KiB) Viewed 16724 times
This Terezi drawing is great, and I wish Hussie did more homestuck art in this style.

burnt2ashleys

Post by burnt2ashleys » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:53 pm

I'll contribute with this John, and hand you guys an album of Andrew's sketches. More people should study his art!
https://imgur.com/a/o38iI
Attachments
What a handsome jabroni.
What a handsome jabroni.
John.gif (70.9 KiB) Viewed 16717 times

asocksual
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: seer of space I think
Moon: Prospit

Post by asocksual » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:16 pm

burnt2ashleys wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:53 pm
I'll contribute with this John, and hand you guys an album of Andrew's sketches. More people should study his art!
https://imgur.com/a/o38iI
I'm looking at the album and some of these are so good and adorable I can't help but smile!
:kitty: hi.

asocksual
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: seer of space I think

Post by asocksual » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:17 pm

Okay now I have to see him draw some of the hiveswap trolls, that would be so cool
:kitty: hi.

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:30 pm

I’m a big fan of how he renders bodies in a somewhat mannequin like style and those Jack Noir and PI images are absolutely precious. The quality of line fluctuates in a neat way too, and there are a lot of things about his style (like creating the torso before attaching shoulders and arms, and starting the legs at the extreme ends of the hips of the character) that have undoubtedly influenced my own work.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

aspiringWatcher
Pronouns: he/they
Classpect: Allegedly Scribe of Life

Post by aspiringWatcher » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:52 am

Oh hey remember AIDS?

GO READ AND IT DON'T STOP Y'ALL.
The world is vast and full and wonders, no matter what they tell you.

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage

Post by rookie1978 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:28 pm

The severe lack of hussnasty in later parts of the comic kinda hurts. Not that we can't have professional artwork but classic hero mode/hussnasty was Homestuck perfection.

arachonteur
Pronouns: she/its
Classpect: Thief of Light

Post by arachonteur » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:28 pm

Hussie's more polished art always bothered me because he's definitely a cartoonist by nature and stylizes people like cartoons, but a lot of his art has this very strange form of depth to it, where it seems like he will design a character to have the very flat "symbolic representation of a character" look, but then his art will render them like they exist very literally in the space, and it's bizarre! And I guess it works for when the work itself is bizarre, but the bizarreness of Homestuck isn't the bizarreness of Whistles, by any means, and I don't think it works as well for Homestuck.

It's gonna inevitably draw comparisons to Xamag's art for Homestuck^2 - with Homestuck panels it's really clear that Hussie isn't drawing the characters "literally" - they're abstract symbols of characters, distinguished by shapes rather than depictions of their forms, ie, how does the spiral in Roxy's hair work, or troll horns, which just jut out of a character's head. It's very easy to look at Dirk in Homestuck proper and see "this is a symbolic representation of that character, the true form of which exists in my head and is substituted in from what I know this character to look like", vs Xamag, where characters are lit dramatically, and things that are normally abstracted are given depth - Dirk's glasses are the most obvious citation here, which creates a feeling less like "this is an abstraction of what's happening" and more like "this is what it really looks like".

Dude's line art game is on point though.

That's how I feel.
:professor: 2021 and I'm still the only person who's read Homestuck all the way through. :professor:

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:52 pm

Hussie's abstracted art style is probably one of my favorite parts of it in Classic Hero Mode. The rough and dynamic edges that imply motion, the appealing, angular way that arms are drawn, the gorgeous way he implies detail in the silhouette of a form like Jack Noir's hand or a character's face, and god DAMN do the characters fit the mood of their scenes extremely well.
0_IDPiFL06U5Zt68Fa.gif
0_IDPiFL06U5Zt68Fa.gif (185.38 KiB) Viewed 16647 times
Strider_heromode02.png
Strider_heromode02.png (8.86 KiB) Viewed 16647 times
HeroModeButton.gif
HeroModeButton.gif (13.04 KiB) Viewed 16647 times
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance