Anime Recommendation Thread

Genshin Impact, Legend of Zelda, The Magnus Archives, whatever you'd like, you can talk about it here! Just remember to keep it Forum Appropriate!
egg
Pronouns: any
Classpect: Prince of Breath
Moon: Derse

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Post by egg » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:21 pm

Hopping in here to recommend Houseki no Kuni. No, it's not anime Steven Universe.

Also, I haven't seen many manga recommendations, so here are two:
Arachnid - It's about assassins themed after insects. While cool, it does require a lot of mental fortitude to get through, and it gets a bit NSFW towards the end.
Mieruko-chan - A manga about a girl who can see really creepy ghosts and her attempts to adjust to daily life with them. It's great.
KINDA SPOOKY
Show

Also, I'd like to second Leo's recommendation of FMA:B in the last page. It's a great classic anime with absolutely no tragedy whatsoever.
I am a person who has English as their second language. Please bear with me.

Roxy
Classpect: Mage of Mind

Post by Roxy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:26 pm

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Inuyasha yet, a shame really, its super fun and a much older anime, i havent watching it in years so i dont remember but but the half demon dude gets bossed around a bunch while trying to get some power to kill his dad or something. very epic
Also HunterXHunter if that hasn't been said already, though it may have been? anyway a very cool shonen with actual reasonable power scaling. well maybe not reasonable but the main characters are actually capable of failing. a lot.
and most of all, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. like, goddamn, look at those punchy men go. The dogs die though :(
I don't know dude, i just- I just drink blood dude
I'm going to dismantle the concept of government

arachonteur
Pronouns: she/its
Classpect: Thief of Light
Moon: Prospit

Post by arachonteur » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:50 pm

Here's some stuff I've watched recently and liked but I'm detached from the social dogma, so grain of salt:

SSSS.Gridman - Rikka from this anime was girl-of-the-month a while ago, if you can get past the typical Studio Trigger horny (toned down from Kill la Kill but still present) a friend of mine pitched SSSS.Gridman to me as "The greatest miracle of all is that Akira Amemiya liked Evangelion enough to make something good, instead of bad.".

FLCL Alternative - I wonder how many people even gave this a chance. It's a sequel to FLCL, which is like. A sacred cow. And the sequel season before it, FLCL Progressive, wasn't very good and FLCL:A has a bit of the same issue, but it's better because the main cast of characters is so wonderful. I love them. It does kind of fall apart when it has to be FLCL, but it's not trying to be FLCL all the time. It's more of a slice of life teen drama, while FLCL happens in the background.

Girls' Last Tour - This one's where they trick you. This one looks like it's moe girls dressed up in military gear! But instead of being like, anthropomorphized fascist weaponry you're meant to be horny for, it's a bleak meditation on the emotional toll of a truly, wholly fatal apocalypse. It's challenging, and not in the mindlessly offensive "triggered" way, it presents some ideas that are actually tough to stomach at points.

Macross: Do You Remember Love? - I watched a couple episodes of the anime with a friend of mine and didn't stick with the series because I'm bad at watching long anime, but the movie, Do You Remember Love? is like a clip show. Macross has the vibes of watching something incomprehensible and bad, except the difference is, it's actually very good. It's got ideas.
:professor: 2021 and I'm still the only person who's read Homestuck all the way through. :professor:

sillyConformist
Classpect: Page of Heart

Post by sillyConformist » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:15 pm

arachonteur wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:50 pm
Girls' Last Tour - This one's where they trick you. This one looks like it's moe girls dressed up in military gear! But instead of being like, anthropomorphized fascist weaponry you're meant to be horny for, it's a bleak meditation on the emotional toll of a truly, wholly fatal apocalypse. It's challenging, and not in the mindlessly offensive "triggered" way, it presents some ideas that are actually tough to stomach at points.
Ah, Girls Last Tour. That one is great. It is quite possibly the most relaxing post-apocalyptic story I've ever seen.
Interrobang‽

Prime

Post by Prime » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:25 pm

Roxy wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:26 pm
I can't believe nobody's mentioned Inuyasha yet, a shame really, its super fun and a much older anime, i havent watching it in years so i dont remember but but the half demon dude gets bossed around a bunch while trying to get some power to kill his dad or something. very epic
Also HunterXHunter if that hasn't been said already, though it may have been? anyway a very cool shonen with actual reasonable power scaling. well maybe not reasonable but the main characters are actually capable of failing. a lot.
and most of all, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. like, goddamn, look at those punchy men go. The dogs die though :(
Inuyasha is a gateway drug into either romance anime or battle anime, but it's not bad at all for being melodramatic. Eheh, your memory of the plot is a bit off. Basically the characters are wandering around feudal japan searching for shards of the shikon jewel to keep it out of the hands of demons who want to use it for personal power gain. Naraku, the antagonist demon, has all the irons in the fire and has fucked with everyone at least twice, so everyone is pretty motivated to stomp that smug grin off his face. Really cool villain overall.

Roxy
Classpect: Mage of Mind

Post by Roxy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:42 pm

Prime wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:25 pm
Inuyasha is a gateway drug into either romance anime or battle anime, but it's not bad at all for being melodramatic. Eheh, your memory of the plot is a bit off. Basically the characters are wandering around feudal japan searching for shards of the shikon jewel to keep it out of the hands of demons who want to use it for personal power gain. Naraku, the antagonist demon, has all the irons in the fire and has fucked with everyone at least twice, so everyone is pretty motivated to stomp that smug grin off his face. Really cool villain overall.
Thank you so much, i was also putting in zero details on purpose but thanks for accurately describing it lol, i definitely forgot basically everyone's names and the main villain so thats cool. definitely need to rewatch
I don't know dude, i just- I just drink blood dude
I'm going to dismantle the concept of government

egg

Post by egg » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:21 am

arachonteur wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:50 pm
Here's some stuff I've watched recently and liked but I'm detached from the social dogma, so grain of salt:

SSSS.Gridman - Rikka from this anime was girl-of-the-month a while ago, if you can get past the typical Studio Trigger horny (toned down from Kill la Kill but still present) a friend of mine pitched SSSS.Gridman to me as "The greatest miracle of all is that Akira Amemiya liked Evangelion enough to make something good, instead of bad.".
This one is even better if you're into tokusatsu. It's not necessary to enjoy the thing, but if you already have experience with super sentai/kamen rider you'll enjoy it even more. There are tons of little details for people who like that stuff.
But instead of being like, anthropomorphized fascist weaponry you're meant to be horny for
Apologize to Kantai Collection :discontent:

Crpal
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Crpal » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:26 pm

bathtimebird wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:24 pm
I highly recommend everyone watch Kaiji. The artstyle may take some getting used to, but the show is suspenseful as all hell. Except when it gets to the second half of season 2, then it just because stupid as fuck. Seriously, 17 episodes of a pachinko machine. Imagine watching that as it aired, having to sit through yet another episode of Kaiji trying to beat a rigged pachinko machine.

If you're into mahjong, I recommend getting into Akagi.
Can not emphasize this enough, Kaiji is the best fucking gambling show ever.

aspiringWatcher
Pronouns: he/they
Classpect: Allegedly Scribe of Life

Post by aspiringWatcher » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:47 pm

Upd8: just finished FMAB, go watch it if you haven't already
The world is vast and full and wonders, no matter what they tell you.

Auntie

Post by Auntie » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:27 am

Some personal favs of mine that I would actually recommend:
Jyu-Oh-Sei: Pretty good sci-fi shojo about a pair of twins dropped onto a secret prison planet inhabited by deadly plants. More political intrigue than anything, but there's romance as well. It's also sweet and short at 11 episodes.

Orphen: Haven't watched this one in a while, but this one's high fantasy with a balance of drama and comedy.

Fruits Basket 2019: You can smell the 2000s on this one, for better and worse. While not a 100% perfect adaptation of the manga, it's pretty close and has nice animation.

Given: Cute band romance show, gay and dramatic. Generally not super dark but it does get there at times, as a warning.
Current works: fanventure
Still alive, living slowly

Drinosi
Classpect: Mage of Blood

Post by Drinosi » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:10 am

Roxy wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:26 pm
Wow you're right! Shame on me for forgetting about Inuyasha! I binged that so hard when I first saw it.

Still haven't finished JoJo's. There's too much good new stuff right now, so I'm trying to watch so much.

I've heard amazing things about Demon Slayer, so that's next on my list. I actually plan to start that later today.

BrobyDDark

Post by BrobyDDark » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:19 am

Kinnikuman

egg

Post by egg » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:09 am

nan dumbbell wa kilo moteru

sigmatic
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Rogue of Life

Post by sigmatic » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:22 pm

Anybody been watching Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken? I've been keeping up with it since like episode 5 and I'm greatly enjoying it. The opening went viral for a while (with good reason) which is why I decided to check it out in the first place.

Rogue of Life
forums? more like BOREums har har

sillyConformist
Classpect: Page of Heart

Post by sillyConformist » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:46 pm

Yep, I've been watching that since the first episode came out. It is a great anime, highly recommended.
Interrobang‽

PurplePest29
Pronouns: He/him

Post by PurplePest29 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:31 am

Terraformars has these super masc cockroach hunks and they're like on mars and killing all these humans. Its great, kind of like an attack on titan but with insect superpowers. :olliesouty: :olliesouty: Hype af
Uwuw capitawism :lime:

DiamontRuben
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Heir of time

Post by DiamontRuben » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:52 am

Has anybody seen dorohedoro?