The Shovel Knight Thread

Genshin Impact, Legend of Zelda, The Magnus Archives, whatever you'd like, you can talk about it here! Just remember to keep it Forum Appropriate!
bathtimebird
Classpect: Prince of Time
Moon: Derse

The Shovel Knight Thread

Post by bathtimebird » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:03 pm

This thread is for any and all Shovel Knight discussion.

So Shovel Knight: King of Card's release date, along with Showdown, was just revealed to be December 10th. There's less than a month!

TC
Classpect: Your Lord of Rage

Re: The Shovel Knight Thread

Post by TC » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Lol Reize lol
ImageImageImage

Nep
Pronouns: Any (Genderfluid)
Classpect: Rogue of Heart

Post by Nep » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:34 pm

I played the original game and both plague of shadows. I dare to say it's one of the current successful indie games besides undertale and a bunch of other games.

I hope Yatch Club games keeps chugging along. Maybe to even get Shovel Knight 2 or something.
Forum's Certified Nep. :nepball: || Rogue of Heart

Crpal
Pronouns: He/Him
Moon: Prospit

Post by Crpal » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:38 am

Nep wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:34 pm
I played the original game and both plague of shadows. I dare to say it's one of the current successful indie games besides undertale and a bunch of other games.

I hope Yatch Club games keeps chugging along. Maybe to even get Shovel Knight 2 or something.
Nep you should totally play Spectre of Torment. I'd argue its as good as Shovel Knight proper and the platforming mechanics are way more fun that Plague's projectile shenanigans.

bathtimebird

Post by bathtimebird » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:22 pm

Crpal wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:38 am
Nep you should totally play Spectre of Torment. I'd argue its as good as Shovel Knight proper and the platforming mechanics are way more fun that Plague's projectile shenanigans.
I honestly disagree. Plague Knight's bomb mechanics are fun as shit, especially bomb jumping. I think they're on par with Specter Knight's dash and slash gameplay.

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:28 am

ONE WEEK

bathtimebird

Post by bathtimebird » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:06 am

can't wait for king knight to talk to his mom on his airship, it's gonna be so adorable

Crpal
Pronouns: He/Him
Moon: Prospit

Post by Crpal » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:44 pm

holy shit she's so cute

bathtimebird

Post by bathtimebird » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Finished the campaign last night. First off, what an amazing experience it was! Second off, what a horrible ending!

King Knight himself is great. I really enjoy his character, his singlemindedness, his outrageous snobbishness, and his gigantic ego. The way he's presented in game made me love him even more than I already had. But in the ending, he just tosses everyone aside for his chance at a real castle, with a real throne. He threw away all the "friends" he had made during his journey just to join the Enchantress's side. I get that that's what he is a selfish bastard, but at least the other two DLC knights had some degree of benevolence to them. The ending to King Knight made me not like King Knight as a character.

Gameplay-wise, He's slower than the other DLC knights. He has a shoulder bash technique which can give him some air, and a spin jump that only activates if you bash into something, which gives you more air. It makes for some unique level design. They brought back the slick surfaces you cant climb up on from Specter of Torment, and King Knight can't do a spin jump off of them. And I should probably talk about Joustus as well.

Joustus kinda blows. I don't think it's fun. That being said, you can collect a ton of cards throughout the campaign. There's a lot of replayability there. There's also NPC's in each of the joustus houses that offer a series of 3 puzzles that have to be won in one move. It's a nice break from the computer opponents, and it helps you familiarize yourself with the overall feel of the game on a deeper level. Also, NPCs can steal your cards, but you can buy em back from Chester at any time. He also offers mystery cards for a price, which is an excellent gold-sink, as well as "cheat" items that can basically win you a match.

The overworld of King knight is a big departure from the previous campaigns. It's actually complex now! There are tons of levels scattered around, which can range from normal levels, secret "money" levels where all there is is just a shit ton of money, and heirloom levels. There is no central item vendor anymore for your special items; you have to visit a bunch of levels throughout the game where an npc will sell you one item, then task you with going through a special level where you can only use that one heirloom. It's a neat way to pace things out. Also, regular levels have alternate exits now, which lead to different parts of the map. You can cut your own path on the map and get to the next area how you want. Overall, the map's great.

The other Order of No Quarter are fought via map encounters. Their spawn conditions seem random but I think you have to beat a certain number of their levels before they spawn. The exception is Specter Knight, who functions similarly to Black Knight in that he's the first and last knight you face. You can also face the backer bosses, except Reize, who thankfully is absent from this campaign. Plague Knight is also a two phase boss, which phase one being Percy. Pretty nice!

The story is silly, and it's yet another prequel,.King Knight figures the easiest way to become a king is to win the Joustus Crown, so that he may be crowned King of Cards. He does this by besting King Pridemoor, the Troupple King, and the mysterious King Birder. He ends up commandeering an airship called the Glidewing, and manages to recruit a lot of NPCs on his way to getting that crown. The whoe Joustus Crown was organized by none other than The Enchantress, in a grande scheme to recruit King Knight. It works, and ends up setting into motion several things in the Shovel Knight plotline.

So yeah I don't wanna continue talking about this game for too long but it kicks ass. I give it 8 ducks out of 10, blah blah. Great music btw. Also great graphics btw, I fucking love the spritework.