Google Stadia: What are your thoughts?

Genshin Impact, Legend of Zelda, The Magnus Archives, whatever you'd like, you can talk about it here! Just remember to keep it Forum Appropriate!
Sokota
Pronouns: he/they

Google Stadia: What are your thoughts?

Post by Sokota » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:26 pm

Personally, I think it’s going to fail just as hard if not harder than the Ouya did. Just a handful of games available after launch, it seems more of a “look at this Thing that is Unique to us” (which, in Stadia’s case, is the streaming aspect of it) thing than a credible videogame console built to compete against Xbox and Playstation. It’s the Juicero of videogame consoles :olliesouty:

Daz

Re: Google Stadia: What are your thoughts?

Post by Daz » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:53 pm

There's simply no infrastructure to support it, and getting a better internet is simply not an option for a lot of people. If you think seeing the delay at the presentation with the most optimal circumstances, imagine it using through a VDSL with a heavy traffic. And that's without getting into the fact that you don't own any software on it.

I'd be honestly surprised if it turns out to be anything more than Google Glass 2.0.

sassacre

Post by sassacre » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:06 pm

I hope it would fail, but it's Google and not just some random guys doing it this time, so it seems like they have a plan. My best pc is just as powerful as geforce 940m inside. But that would never make me give up my offline gaming/buy once-play forever rights.
✩░▒▓▆▅▃▂▁✴.·´¯`·.·★ 𝓢𝓲𝓰𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮 ★·.·`¯´·.✴▁▂▃▅▆▓▒░✩

Vesper

Post by Vesper » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:15 pm

It might have had a chance if the initial game lineup was something more impressive the ~1 year-old titles or something exclusive to the Stadia. I can't imagine people getting this to play, let's say, Read Dead Redemption when it's already available on other platforms.
Dead on arrival; 0 out of 5 hats :relaxed:
:professor:

sigmatic
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: Rogue of Life
Moon: Derse

Post by sigmatic » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:17 pm

I really don't want streaming software to be the new standard, mostly because you don't actually "own" your games when you pay for them and I like the security of, well, owning my things.
Rogue of Life
forums? more like BOREums har har

Hitoshura

Post by Hitoshura » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:08 pm

I used to work at Toys R Us before it shut down, primarily in electronics. Something I would see a lot would be parents who only bought previous generation consoles, or who only bought CoD or Madden once a year because that's all they could afford. The free version of Stadia would bring modern gaming to people and families who couldn't afford it before, since it can run on a potato using mid-tier DSL.

This isn't going to be the "next big thing" or replace console/PC gaming. It's not going to convert anyone even remotely close to the hardcore or enthusiast crowd. But what it is going to do is bring more games to more people, and I would never consider that a bad thing.

rookie1978
Pronouns: any & all
Classpect: Lord of Rage
Moon: Prospit

Post by rookie1978 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:12 pm

Input lag will make most games feel either extremely janky or unplayable. Especially multiplayer. God I can't even imagine

The Stadia: Gaming 'Console' for people who know Nothing About Videogames.

Darth_Energon

Post by Darth_Energon » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:16 pm

Streaming video games will never be a thing I would willingly do.

bathtimebird
Classpect: Prince of Time
Moon: Derse

Post by bathtimebird » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:21 pm

Streaming video games sounds like a completely unsustainable market in America. The input lag alone looks like it'll drive off a lot of customers. I also like owning my games, thank you very much. Better luck next time, Google.

TC
Classpect: Your Lord of Rage

Post by TC » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:15 pm

Darth_Energon wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:16 pm
bathtimebird wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:21 pm
Streaming video games sounds like a completely unsustainable market in America. The input lag alone looks like it'll drive off a lot of customers. I also like owning my games, thank you very much. Better luck next time, Google.
I would have said something but you guys already said everything I could ever say.
ImageImageImage

Prime
Moon: Prospit

Post by Prime » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:34 pm

TC wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:15 pm
Darth_Energon wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:16 pm
bathtimebird wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:21 pm
I would have said something but you guys already said everything I could ever say.
Yes