MSPA Forums' Official Book Club

Genshin Impact, Legend of Zelda, The Magnus Archives, whatever you'd like, you can talk about it here! Just remember to keep it Forum Appropriate!
overThinker
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Seer of Light
Moon: Derse

Re: MSPA Forums' Official Book Club

Post by overThinker » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:21 pm

also i actually read house of leaves because of this thread and it's worth reiterating how amazing it is. its enigmatic nature and weird layout and non linear structure make it impossible to not be immersed, as some pages force you to decode them and others require you to rotate the book and follow the text around the page in weird unconventional ways. its difficulty will probably repel some but i found that it just created a feeling of reward whenever i understood something new, or discovered a new hidden piece of information. even without delving deeper, it's well writ and i'm fairly sure that just the story of the navidson house would keep most people invested. but beyond that, there is a labyrinth of oblique narrative and symbolism for those who choose to devote their time to it.

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:03 pm

I'm so happy you were encouraged to read House of Leaves! God, it's so fucking good.
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance

uranianUmbra
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Maid of Breath
Moon: Prospit

Post by uranianUmbra » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:29 am

House of leaves was so wild to me, i could not handle it at some points because it reached into the physical realm for me which was so awesome but so terrifying!

also ive been reading lord of the rings and it’s pretty boring but i see how it has inspired all sorts of fantasy development

overThinker
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Seer of Light

Post by overThinker » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:44 pm

uranianUmbra wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:29 am
House of leaves was so wild to me, i could not handle it at some points because it reached into the physical realm for me which was so awesome but so terrifying!

also ive been reading lord of the rings and it’s pretty boring but i see how it has inspired all sorts of fantasy development
i know right?? i was floored when i first read pelafina's letters to johnny and when i reached the segment near the "end" with navidson reaching the depths of the house. i've never seen such an effective manipulation of medium to complement a narrative, danielewski is ingenious.
also yeah i've been meaning to read tolkien for a long time because it's a classic and everyone loves it. if you don't mind, you should update the thread once you've finished it, i'm interested :rorb:

uranianUmbra
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Maid of Breath
Moon: Prospit

Post by uranianUmbra » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:35 pm

overThinker wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:44 pm
uranianUmbra wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:29 am

i know right?? i was floored when i first read pelafina's letters to johnny and when i reached the segment near the "end" with navidson reaching the depths of the house. i've never seen such an effective manipulation of medium to complement a narrative, danielewski is ingenious.
also yeah i've been meaning to read tolkien for a long time because it's a classic and everyone loves it. if you don't mind, you should update the thread once you've finished it, i'm interested :rorb:
IF i finish it lol but ty for giving me the motivation to at least read a bit more tonight! i’ve finished the first part and i will say tom bombadil is amazing so far and it is a shame he wasn’t in the movies!