The Dark Souls Thread

Genshin Impact, Legend of Zelda, The Magnus Archives, whatever you'd like, you can talk about it here! Just remember to keep it Forum Appropriate!
arachnidsGrip
Pronouns: They/Them
Classpect: Page of Light
Moon: Derse

The Dark Souls Thread

Post by arachnidsGrip » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:53 pm

Talk about Dark Souls! What you like about the games, what you don't, what you wish FromSoftware would change, anything!

I'll start discussion with a question. What is your favorite and least favorite boss from the Dark Souls series?

Personally, I really like Slave Knight Gael. Fighting him ALWAYS feels good to me. For me it's not like other bosses where I get frustrated easily. To me, each death feels like my own fault, rather than some cheap gimmick used against me. Fighting him puts me into this amazing rhythm. Attack, attack, roll. Attack, attack, roll. His lore is interesting, and his moves are beautiful, and that's all I have to say on Gael.
Least favorite? Probably Sulyvahn. I hate him. He's difficult, he feels cheap, and he's much too fast for my liking. I don't struggle that much with him anymore, but when I first fought him? Oh my god. I like his design, to a point, but fighting against him is miserable and strenuous to me. The only upside is that defeating him and having him out of the way for the rest of the game is bliss. That, and unlocking my favorite PVP area in the game once he's dead.

Cyber-Fan
Pronouns: He/Him
Classpect: Sylph of Light

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by Cyber-Fan » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:27 pm

Every Soulsborne game (plus Sekiro) is good, (I've played them all except for DS2), but I feel like the series is becoming a little too formulaic without noticable improvement from entry to entry. Most of my negative opinions on the series are the same as the ones expressed in Matthewmatosis' Lost Soul Arts video, but I'm particularly disappointed by how linear and disconnected the games' worlds have become. No setting even comes close to Lordran, and it's been 8 years since Dark Souls released. From BB on, the games are still fun, but they just don't stick with me in the same way that Demon's Souls/Ds1 do.

I hope that Miyasaki will buck this trend with Elden Rune, an open-world soulslike is crazy ambitious, and if done right it could really bring some life back into the franchise.

Gael is a really good boss, and might be my favorite mechanically out of all the most challenging fights (though he's also the best character in DS3), but I think my favorite "boss" is Maiden Astrea. This plus Sif are the two most prominent fights where your character basically assumes the role of a villain, a dynamic I find really compelling. This one is more effective for me though, because of how Garl never approaches you and only acts in defense of Astrea, no matter how many times you stab a sword through his chest. I also like the Bell Gargoyles a lot, they seem like such an impossible obstacle and it's extremely satisfying when you beat them. Plus the setting for their fight is really cool. Man, it's really hard to pick a favorite.

My least favorite boss is bed of chaos. I don't think I even need to explain why, it just sucks.

galileanTactician
Pronouns: Ur Mom Gay Lol
Classpect: Mooge o Spooce

Post by galileanTactician » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:56 am

Im a huge stan for Ludwig, The Holy Blade in Bloodborne. I love how he halfway goes from a screaming monstrous half-horse thing, to a magic wielding, sword swinging nightmare of a boss and I love him. As for Dark Souls bosses, i had the most fun with Pikachu and Snorlax Ornstein and Smough, as the way the boss room and the two different styles of fighting make it challenging and awesome, even after you kill One one of the two.
Cyber-Fan wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:27 pm

My least favorite boss is bed of chaos. I don't think I even need to explain why, it just sucks.
Bed of Chaos does suck.
Miyazaki: You know what my grounded hack and slash rpg game needs? How about some uhhh PLATFORMING

galileanTactician

Post by galileanTactician » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:22 am

Sekiro wins GOTY but no Elden Ring

Ive won... but at what cost?

Generalrabogolfo
Pronouns: El, el rabo
Classpect: bard of mind

Post by Generalrabogolfo » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:21 am

:rosecool:

galileanTactician

Post by galileanTactician » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:09 am

Just beat DS 3 for the second time! Hooh god almighty what a game.