All words, all the time.
classpectanon
Site Admin
Pronouns: They/It
Classpect: Sylph of Light
Moon: Derse

the IT professional club

Post by classpectanon » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:34 pm

only people who are in the IT field or are getting a degree in an IT related field are allowed to post here :olliesouty:
I'm more easily reached at classpectanon#4228 on Discord. I will respond to reports faster there because PHPBB's notification system is borked and doesn't email me when you report things.

classpectanon
Site Admin

Re: the IT professional club

Post by classpectanon » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:03 pm

anyway today i moved my big-ass database from ms access to a pure mysql installation and took the query fetch time from about 5 minutes to 2 seconds. it was very good.
I'm more easily reached at classpectanon#4228 on Discord. I will respond to reports faster there because PHPBB's notification system is borked and doesn't email me when you report things.

pfeffer-29
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Heir of Mind

Post by pfeffer-29 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:42 pm

today I set a multimeter to ohms and successfully made it go ...---... by touching the ends of the hot and grounded cables together. I am proud.
you can pry karezi out of my cold dead hands

aspiringWatcher
Pronouns: he/they
Classpect: Allegedly Scribe of Life
Moon: Prospit

Post by aspiringWatcher » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:05 pm

classpectanon wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:34 pm
only people who are in the IT field or are getting a degree in an IT related field are allowed to post here :olliesouty:
I'm getting a math degree but a significant ability to do C++ code is required to graduate, am I allowed :lime:
The world is vast and full and wonders, no matter what they tell you.

classpectanon
Site Admin

Post by classpectanon » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:12 pm

yes

Roxy
Classpect: Mage of Mind

Post by Roxy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:49 am

Going into Computer Science/Engineering so basically literally this thread, though I’m only just learning more advanced things. You’d be surprised how good at anything computer related you actually dont have to be to get perfect on the college board CS Principals AP test. That being said I’ve actually lately been working on learning how to create a Windows Forms app that integrates the Discord API. Previously i’d worked in python on similar projects but my god does .NET make everything so much easier. Although to really understand what i’m doing i gotta take time and relearn whats going on as I do things. I think ive got the basics down though!

That being said it scares me how much i actually understood everything CC was saying about the db update. Ive worked directly with a database once and setting it up was hell so good for you somehow migrating a huge ass db. Hopefully ill formally learn how that shit works at some point
I don't know dude, i just- I just drink blood dude
I'm going to dismantle the concept of government

classpectanon
Site Admin

Post by classpectanon » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:50 am

yeah the most surprising thing about becoming an it professional was how little my experience changed from being an it college student. stack exchange still does about 70% of my job for me, and most website needs for non-IT companies are very, very simple.

Roxy
Classpect: Mage of Mind

Post by Roxy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:00 pm

damn, and here I thought I was just bad looking stuff up on stackexchange so often. crazy how open the community is but how few people are going into the field. Even without a whole lot of formal teaching or training so far i can handle myself decently well on simple projects, though I imagine once you've been through college its a whole different level of things that i couldn't even understand half of.
I don't know dude, i just- I just drink blood dude
I'm going to dismantle the concept of government

classpectanon
Site Admin

Post by classpectanon » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:24 am

Roxy wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:00 pm
damn, and here I thought I was just bad looking stuff up on stackexchange so often. crazy how open the community is but how few people are going into the field. Even without a whole lot of formal teaching or training so far i can handle myself decently well on simple projects, though I imagine once you've been through college its a whole different level of things that i couldn't even understand half of.
i mean the stuff i'm doing at work is all pretty much second semester PDO stuff so it's actually not really a gigantic leap. even when i had an internship at a tech company the amount of new shit i had to learn wasn't... massive.

Alt-Universe Wash
Pronouns: she/her
Classpect: Sylph of Space

Post by Alt-Universe Wash » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:08 am

I've got a BS in mathematics and work as a software/database developer for an insurance company - also volunteer as a webmaster for a history education/re-creation non-profit (the SCA's kingdom that encompasses most of TX and all of OK). Mainly MS tech stack (SQL Server, C#, and MS Access for our horrible legacy systems that everyone hates) at work, mainly WordPress and mySQL for volunteer stuff.

I've been in IT in one form or another for like 13 years (not counting working part-time as a low-tier database developer in high school). At my current job (which, despite the shit I talk about working for an insurance company, is actually a pretty chill position most of the time) for the last 7 years. I have a weirdly useful but somewhat nonstandard skillset (by which I mean I know an obscene amount about VBA's bullshit) that helps in the non-tech business world.

Feel free to ask me stuff about doing IT for various non-tech businesses. I've worked for two different insurance companies, an aircraft parts distributor, and two different non-profits.
Director/lead writer: Friendsim 2
Co-director: Stuck at Home Con
Founding member: Studio June

Twitter | Tumblr

trying
Classpect: Rogue of Breath

Post by trying » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:37 am

ya i do the codes. started brogramming around 12 and got hired out of highschool as a fullstack dev. i really hate webdev though, dont tell anyone.

my main side project right now is this simple 2d action game i'm making with love2d. the game is really just an excuse to explore my own ideas of how a classpect system would work. the battle system is real time, and a mixture of pokemon and runescape. there are 8 planned aspects and 7 planned classes. even though it has a classpect system it's fairly original if you ask me. it's going to work something like this:
  • time / space - melee focused, inherent boosts to melee skills
    • time skills manipulate game tick speeds
    • space skills teleport player
  • breath / blood - healing focused
    • breath skills enable stamina vamp
    • blood skills enable health vamp
  • mind / heart - magic focused, inherent boosts to magic skills
    • mind skills show visual cues that telegraph enemy movement
    • heart skills enable manipulation of enemies' targets
  • will / fate - luck focused, big inherent boosts to luck stat
    • will skills enable manipulation of rng for your own rolls
    • fate skills enable manipulation of rng for enemy rolls
In the interest of actually finishing this project, I'm trying to keep the game simple. when you start the game, you create a character, and the game is perma-death, no saves. when creating a character you select your aspect (your aspect skill), a basic, medium, and heavy skill, and then you are then assigned based on the 3 skills you chose, a fourth "class" skill. the cool part is that each "tier" of skill, basic medium and heavy, has three skills in it, one for each of the base classes, which are knight mage and gamblignant. you can mix and match skills to get different classes and different class skills, and ofcourse match these combos against different aspects for varied gameplays. its really just planned to be a simple hack n slash kinda game, but i think the classpect system will be novel enough for some people to try it for a few minutes before deleting it.

I hope some of that made sense. anyway it's been a lot of fun to write so far, it's been a few years since i tried to do anything game-like, im having a blast.

calamityCons
Pronouns: they/he
Classpect: Prince of Doom

Post by calamityCons » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:38 am

Your project sounds really kickass and I'm looking forward to any alpha builds you're able to share!
#ReviveSpadesSlick #WVForNarrativeRelevance