PESTERCHUM 3.41: The ride never stops edition

Got an fandom-related project, site, or theme? Want to start one? Looking for fan meetups in your area? Post in here.
lavendersiren
Pronouns: they/them
Classpect: Mage of Light
Moon: Derse

Re: PESTERCHUM 3.41: The ride never stops edition

Post by lavendersiren » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:09 pm

Yeah, the thing about chumdroid is that it's designed for an older version of android, so trying to run it on a newer phone will basically make it impossible to access certain menus, basically making it unusable in those cases. The web-app should work fine on everything tho.

I hope one day somebody with phone app development abilities will make a new version of chumdroid that works on more recent phones, because that app was hella tight, especially the version that could save logs.
(and maybe make it so that messages from irc users aren't lost into the void this time? I once had a botched rp session because the other party couldn't see my messages because I forgot to send one of the special messages that regular pesterchum usually sends invisibly, while using a traditional irc client)
Image Image

coniferousCorale
Pronouns: she / her

Post by coniferousCorale » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:27 pm

hey guys, sorry if I'm not supposed to ask questions on here but can anyone help me figure out why Pesterchum won't download onto my Mac? I've been trying the app.box.com link given for Mac but it won't actually start downloading?

Cr0ssCutter
Pronouns: He, They
Classpect: Heir of Heart

Post by Cr0ssCutter » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:14 pm

lavendersiren wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:09 pm
Yeah, the thing about chumdroid is that it's designed for an older version of android, so trying to run it on a newer phone will basically make it impossible to access certain menus, basically making it unusable in those cases. The web-app should work fine on everything tho.

I hope one day somebody with phone app development abilities will make a new version of chumdroid that works on more recent phones, because that app was hella tight, especially the version that could save logs.
(and maybe make it so that messages from irc users aren't lost into the void this time? I once had a botched rp session because the other party couldn't see my messages because I forgot to send one of the special messages that regular pesterchum usually sends invisibly, while using a traditional irc client)
i guess i was mostly wondering if the phone chumdroid and actual pesterchum on pcs could connect together, but i've tried it and it seems like it is as shody as i was told, one can only hope it'll happen some day i guess

lavendersiren

Post by lavendersiren » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:41 pm

Well, they do access the same server, if that's what you were wondering.
Image Image

Cr0ssCutter

Post by Cr0ssCutter » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:23 pm

So someone using chumdroid and someone on pc could talk together then?

Also unrelated I guess but I'd love to be able to make custom themes for the interface, i don't actually know if it's the case but a lot of the ones that are there to choose from look like they've been made by tons of different people. Is it something there is a way to make? And if yes is there a guide for that or do people just mess around with files and such

lavendersiren

Post by lavendersiren » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:53 pm

Yeah! it's really handy.

As for how to make a theme I feel like there's probably a guide somewhere out there, but I don't know where.
I can give a quick crash course in getting started tho.

First, you need to go to where the themes are stored. Local Disc(C:)/Pesterchum/Themes is probably where you're gonna find it. Pesterchum stores its files right there in a folder right there in the local disc so don't get too freaked out when it's not in either or the program files folders.
Once you get there, you'll see that there's a ton of folders, one for each theme available. An important thing to note is that some themes inherit attributes from others, so it's important to make sure you track which dependencies your theme will have. Most themes are based off the more basic themes such as Pesterchum 2.5, Default Pesterchum, Steamchum, and Trollian. I'd suggest copying the theme you want to base yours off of in a place that isn't directly in the themes folder so you don't have to deal with permission questions every time you change a file.

The place where the meat of your theme will be located is in the style.js file. You'll need to open it in like, notepad++ or something.
Once you get in, from there it's much like editing the stylesheet for a website. You'll be able to change the style of everything however you choose.

When you're done editing, save and paste your new theme's folder back into the themes folder. Then you can immediately test out your new theme by opening pesterchum and selecting it from the theme options. If you don't see it in there, hit the refresh button.
With enough effort, you'll eventually have a functional theme to work with. It's somewhat exhausting, but incredibly rewarding once you get it down.
Image Image

Cr0ssCutter

Post by Cr0ssCutter » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:45 pm

holy shit thanks :rorb: I'll give this all a try with some friends, we have a fanventure with a chat device with different colors and were thinking it'd be cool to mess around and make a theme for pesterchum in order to use it to write dialogue in a more fun and convenient way, that'll definitely help!

Aelfrey

Post by Aelfrey » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:37 pm

Hi! Just rediscovered Pesterchum with some friends! I was working on a character's quirk, when I realized that the group name of the my quirks was "miscellaneous" and I haven't been able to figure out how to change it in the program. I did see how to create a new one, but I just put in like an hour into figuring out how regexp works and I'd rather not have to redo all of that just for what's essentially a folder name... Any help would be appreciated!

turntech
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: knight of time

Post by turntech » Mon May 11, 2020 11:29 pm

i've recently downloaded pesterchum and it was extremely tiny and barely readable. I changed my theme to every possible theme and they still are small. I can maximize chats but the font is the same size. is there a way to fix this?
Attachments
tiny.PNG
tiny.PNG (47.66 KiB) Viewed 17543 times
:cal: :cal: :cal:

artisticTerror
Classpect: Prince of hope

Post by artisticTerror » Thu May 21, 2020 5:23 am

Hello there
I downloaded pesterchum a while ago and I have a problems with "opening" this I searched in git hub where was to delete the pesterchum.js
but then I realized that there is no local files. what can I do about that?
:acceptant:

smugfran
Pronouns: she/her, it/its

Post by smugfran » Fri May 22, 2020 8:54 pm

hi uh

just wanted t'ask if we were allowed to use custom tags

okbyesorryifthiswasabother

Multi06
Pronouns: She/Her
Classpect: Bard of Mind
Moon: Prospit

Post by Multi06 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:30 pm

Yeah my Pesterchum refuses to open at all, not even the debug version works!

lavendersiren

Post by lavendersiren » Sun May 24, 2020 1:48 am

smugfran, if by tags you mean chumhandles, yeah, custom chumhandles are totally allowed and even encouraged. Individual memos might have their own rules in place but you'll likely only need to worry if you go into a strictly canon-only memo or something (which are fairly rare)

Multi, what operating system are you using and what method are you using to open? Gonna need more details. is there any sort of error log?

artisticTerror, you need to check appdata/local/pesterchum to find pesterchum.js. This is also the folder where logs and profiles can be found if you ever need to find those.
Image Image

artisticTerror
Classpect: Prince of hope

Post by artisticTerror » Sun May 24, 2020 11:54 am

Um I mean there is no Pesterchum in Local, and yes I re-downloaded Pchum and it still didnt add the Pesterchum file to Local files.

Hex Maniac Quinn
Classpect: Sylph of Space

Post by Hex Maniac Quinn » Thu May 28, 2020 2:45 am

I think Random Encounters is back to not working? At least, I downloaded this latest version tonight and it doesn't seem to give me the option.

Also, is there some kind of Pesterchum courtesy or group I need to know about? I feel so bad trying to start any conversation on here because Idk if they want to be bothered, if some canon-character accounts maybe don't want to RP with fan characters, and in general most of the time people seem to be idle or afk anyway.

lavendersiren

Post by lavendersiren » Thu May 28, 2020 12:14 pm

Honestly I wish there was a better contact/correspondence infrastructure.
Usually the best thing to do nowadays is to either join a large memo or do all networking outside of Pesterchum before using it. Having your own memo with an informative entry message might help, but it may prove to be impossible to upkeep if accidental squatters make reobtaining OP shades difficult when things registry stuff lapses.

Also, the no advertising guideline tends to keep most places very insular and compact unless someone manages to get enough of a social following to initiate a successful memo migration.

I feel like a lot of people are just sorta falling into the inherent pitfalls of irc without enough forethought to organize something externally, though I could be wrong.
Image Image

dg125
Pronouns: Man™
Classpect: Bard of Space

Post by dg125 » Fri May 29, 2020 4:20 pm

we should make our own pesterchum, with blackjack and hookers
DG WAS HERE

the old wheatshack

Post by the old wheatshack » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:00 am

really the most active thing there nowadays is an aperture memo
WHERE IS THE CANDY CORN THREAD? THERE NEEDS TO BE CUSTOM CANDY CORNS :candycorn: :candycorn: :candycorn: :candycorn:

tenatiousTaurine
Pronouns: he/him
Classpect: page of space

Post by tenatiousTaurine » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:21 pm

hey, I accidentally blocked a friend on pesterchum while trying to block someone else I met on random encounters who was skeezing me out, how do I unblock them? I tried adding them back as a friend and that didn't work, + I cant find a block list or anything in the pesterchum app

EDIT:
I was on the Trollian version of the app, I found "trollslum" and was able to remove that person from that list! Checking if that actually unblocked them or not

EDIT^2:
It did and everything's working fine here! Leaving this to see if some other idiot like me doesn't realize how that works so I'm not JKelli1903 who found the solution in 2007 for the processing issue and never left what the actual solution was

dogWarden
Pronouns: Any/All

Post by dogWarden » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:56 pm

Constantly stuck on 10060! Scoured the internet and I can't find a single thing regarding actually fixing it. Any ideas?

(Also sorry if this has been answered before but I'm unable to find it.)